Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Do You Express Your Emotions Better Behind The Internet? - Minitokyo

Do You Express Your Emotions Better Behind The Internet?

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 59 total items

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

On the Internet, many of us want to give off a pretty good impression about who we'd want to be like in real life, rather than who we actually are.

**Raises her hand slightly** I'll have to admit, out in the real world, I've been a very, very silent girl who would hardly ever want to talk to anyone at all within my university - unless they were a very good friend of mine, of course. I never really was that talkative to strangers, even though I was rather well-liked by many. When they approach me, I tend to shy away, feeling overprotective of myself too often. Maybe I give off a soft hello randomly at times, that's about it. Then I tend to walk away, as usual.

But on the net, I feel so much more comfortable there, and can tackle things head on. The net is a wonderful tool to help you represent yourself more deeply and clearly: your thoughts, and your feelings - I'm sure many of you will agree as well. You feel more comfortable chatting behind the net, with no strings attached.

It's like seeing other people in a whole new light. It's amazing how free one person can express himself or herself online, no doubt. Sometimes, but not always.

-----------------------

And so the question begins here: Do you express yourself and your inner emotions much more better on the net, than in real life, or not? And what's your input on this matter, here? Thanks a lot. Again, I appreciate it.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

boogybro

boogybro

Doing the happy dance.

For me, I rather not show my emotions on the internet, but I know for a fact it is a lot easier for people to do so. In real life I can easily have a conversation with someone, even if I dont know them that much, but I know for sure it is a lot easier to just talk to someone online. I dont know why, probably because they wont think as much of what your telling them as real life friend would, and probably just forget it the next day. So I think it's all down to what you want the people you know and see every day think of you.

Signature

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

I do express myself better on the internet. I'm pretty much the same way you are, Celessa. I am able to deeply tackle problems and solutions to some problems. It's the activity on campus that gets on my nerves, and frankly, I have no time for silly games, and that goes for their parties as well.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

I tend to agree....I've never been known as a very expressive person myself....I tend to remain quiet and out of the way if I can help it....though on the Internet you have the freedom of relative anonymity which might help

at least that's how it seems from my view

"Don't look at me, I'm just a shark..."

boogybro

boogybro

Doing the happy dance.

Post deleted.

Signature

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Thanks for your input there, guys. It means a lot to me. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Quote by boogybroFor me, I rather not show my emotions on the internet, but I know for a
fact it is a lot easier for people to do so. In real life I can easily
have a conversation with someone, even if I dont know them that much,
but I know for sure it is a lot easier to just talk to someone online.
I dont know why, probably because they wont think as much of what your
telling them as real life friend would, and probably just forget it the
next day. So I think it's all down to what you want the people you know
and see every day think of you.

I like your answer, because there are certain people I do and do not trust within the net when I want to share some personal thing of mine, indeed. I'll have to be more careful of whom I should talk to, really. You're right - it's best to wind things down to whom you feel is right to talk to in your mind, and given the right timing, of course. Don't want to surprise them all of a sudden, and scare them away.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

i express my emotions better on the internet i guess.. in real life im just like you Celessa.. in school im very quite.. don't talk to strangers etc.. girls , no way lol but online its a little better..

Signature

Mordin

Mordin

The Wise One

Well, what you see is what you get with me, I guess since people don't consider me a cool person offline, so there is no point in make myself cool online. :) Plus I am not good with role playing. :) It is much easier for me to be myself, and I don't have the stress to be someone else just for the net. :)

Of course for some people it is easier to be themselves hiding behind the net, and for others it is easier to role play in the net to project the kind of personality they wanted to be. There is all kind of people in the net, and that makes the internet a very interesting place in my opinion because you will never know who you are talking to. Well whatever you are, just keep an open mind, and you will have a lot of fun in meeting new people in the net. I have make a lot of wonderful friends here, and I am very thankful of that.

Signature
Thank you einna for the siggy :)

Sugasuga

Sugasuga

Kaz ?

yes, i express myself better online. to be more precise, the "real" me is online. offline, im very shy and quiet and i dun express myself much. offline, i hold back. i dunno wat, but sumthing is holding me back, perhaps im too tense or i care of wat ppl think.

Signature

Vinitachi

Vinitachi

Azndude

On the internet I talk and express myself alot better. In real life, I can win the award of being the most silent person in the world. Somedays in school I will not talk at all. One reason I don't have a best friend. I don't make one. ^_^'
You can try your hardest but I won't falter from my non talk mood.
I do think alot though. Well all I know is I been silent for all my life. You should hear stories how I was as a little baby. :)

Learning little by little.
Signature

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Quote by ahmadmzi express my emotions better on the internet i guess.. in real life im
just like you Celessa.. in school im very quite.. don't talk to
strangers etc.. girls , no way lol but online its a little better..

Same, and I'm not ashamed really. **High fives** Its hard to approach and make new friends, I guess. Glad to see this is quite normal for some human behavior, apparently.

Quote by MordinWell, what you see is what you get with me, I guess since people don't
consider me a cool person offline, so there is no point in make myself
cool online. :) Plus I am not good with role playing. :) It is much
easier for me to be myself, and I don't have the stress to be someone
else just for the net. :) Of course for some people it is easier to be
themselves hiding behind the net, and for others it is easier to role
play in the net to project the kind of personality they wanted to be.
There is all kind of people in the net, and that makes the internet a
very interesting place in my opinion because you will never know who
you are talking to. Well whatever you are, just keep an open mind, and
you will have a lot of fun in meeting new people in the net. I have
make a lot of wonderful friends here, and I am very thankful of that.

Oh wise Mordin - you again? lol - very interesting analysis. But I agree with you at one point - some people do tend to fake themselves and give in a kind of personality they do want to express within themselves - and to me, I never did mind much. I find it interesting nonetheless as well. And yes, we have lots of wonderful friends around the net - distance is not a factor and meeting many online. That's how I would meet wonderful people like you. lol - And I'm all the same. I am who I am as well, unless I'm out of it and studying a lot. I tend to hide my tired nature and boredom afterwards, but as long as the work from school is done, I'll be always happy in my mind, of course, and eventually return back to my happy side over time for once - Yay, lol - I know.

Signature

I can express myself so much easier offline. I can use hand gestures, make faces and enunciate when necessary. All my jokes are more sponaneous too. Even though some things are easier to express online, it's not quit the real thing. That's why I post on other forums too, where I actually know the people in real life (and they can judge from my posts how I would've said it in real life).
The Web provides anonymousity, which gives a lot of ppl comfort. I just talk a lot (especially for guy) no matter where I am :)

Be Free and Masturbate

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

i find it easier to express myself online because i hate confrontations. casual conversation is fine online or offline, but i'm more open when talking to someone online. i find it easier to voice my opinions online because there is no fear or being judged by tone of voice or other physical things when i'm talking. it's juss written words on the screen.

Signature Image

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Then again, on the internet, you must be sure the person you're talking to can be trusted as some members already said. I trust many Minitokyo members here, and there's even one in particular who has my absolute trust. It's just the constant game-playing on campus that gets on my nerves. Sometimes, those people don't want to even listen to what you have to say. They just say, "that's nice", and they keep on moving. Those are the people that are typically conceited and only care for themselves. I have no problem lending a helping hand when other people need it, but it is the selfishness that refrains me from really communicating in the outside world.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

MadWiz

MadWiz

Student Slacker

hmmm I can express better on the internet yep~ but there are a lot of things I am still unable to do on the internet...
I tend to try to trust as many people offline and online.. but its hard to see other's character on the internet.. though sometimes there are pretenders in the real world too..
some of my friends friends or classmates.. I actually talk to them on the internet only.. offline I can barely make myself talk to them.. theres an invisible barrier for me.. kinda strange..
on the internet.. when I try to explain something.. sometimes its really hard too.. because I have poor explanation skills.. usually I need a help of pictures.. which I can point about and stuff easily while directly talking to people~

however I am more able to be myself on the internet =p
in the real world when I want to say some things I am sometimes unable to do so.. like in a conversation they go so fast when I have a view on some previous topic I just keep it in..
on the internet I can like bring out older topics easier.. and I can refer to what I had done and stuff... since I always forget what I did..

Khriss

Khriss

is addicted to RO again. sigh.

online, u can fake what u say, easily.

but really, maybe im like 30% more confident than usual online,
not a BIG difference
i mean, whenever i see people i know, i would say "hey".
or if they're good-humoured and stuff, i'd probably joke like "wahh, what u doing here? looking for ur boyfren ah??" (even if they dont have one)

but usually, i find it alot easier to express ur feelings online, although through the internet, feelings of other people dont get through as much as words ^_^

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

hum... well, in real life, i'm extremely shy, and i'm always afraid of saying things that will end up in a fight, so i seldom say my feelings or opinion out loud... maybe only to those few friends i have that i know won't judge me...

on the internet, i'm still afraid of conflicts, so i'm careful about what i write coz' i don't want to piss off anyone, but although i love to tease people (both in real life and on the internet...)

my personality doesn't change that much though... i'm always as honest as it is possible for me to be... and by that, i mean that it's hard because i just don't know myself all that well, i'm slowly learning though ^^...so, only big difference between "me live" and "me internet version" is i'm a little less sarcastic on the internet, coz' obviously, it's hard to type sarcasm, only those who really know me can actually detect it, but that's just normal ^^

but, yeah, in general, it is a lot easier to express ourselves here... it's a given... but i don't role play, ever, i'm not good at lying anyways, never been, and never will be... that's just who i am... ^^

<lol> Definitely for me, my fingers are more articulate than my mouth. ^_^' I'm much more 'talkative' online than irl - I hardly say anything in person (my dad's exactly the same *-* if i want to ask him something serious, i send an email).

Then there's that little thing called the "Edit/Undo" button, too.. ^_^' I tend to have a very sharp tongue (and black humour) irl.. so usually I don't say anything (because i don't like to - like khriss said - 'fake what you say'). I like the fact that online, I can say what I want, then take a step back and moderate myself if necessary.

diamarrr

diamarrr

Does it matter?

well i totally agree....... as online u can slowly make up your words with ease ....as in real life most of us are just too nervous n tend to make alot of mistakes while talking yea like ayamael says our personality doesnt change much at all.....just calmer as the person we are talking to isnt rite in front of us so yea thats bout it i guess

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Honestly I'm convinced I'm retarded. I don't get myself at all. I'm much more open online than I am offline and I'll list some noticable differances that I've discovered over the years.

1. I'm more outgoing. Not only that but I'm alot more vocal. Offline I'm much more shy and quiet, except around my friends. Then I'm just crazy and (what I like to consider) just a fun person to be around. I think its because I'm behind a monitor and keyboard rather than face to face, but I'm starting to somewhat lose the shyness.

2. I'm not an asshole. This is something that I find completely shocking. Online I can just be a complete and utter dick for relatively no reason. I personally think its part of emotions and an unstable chemical imbalance or else just more of a way I express all the emotions I've pent up inside for so many years. Which really makes it non deserving. Though this isn't a constant, offline I'm nowhere near as rude. Thats where I really fit the nice guy stance.

Though I still love the fact that I'm honest online as I am offline and another great thing I'm glad I kept is alot of who I am. I've very true to myself and individuality is a big thing for me. Though I really hate the fact that I can be somewhat emotional sometimes online, I guess its better than not at all. Though I have to say I prefer combinations of both the on and offline me. Neither of which are perfect, but both have their pros and cons.

Great topic Cel, I think this is simply wonderful. Though I went off about something completely different, it in general has to do with emotions. ^.~

Signature Image

thegunblademaster

thegunblademaster

Nine Is God

lol you're not retarded or an asshole Cy, we all know that *nods* as for me that's a definite yes XD in real life i have very few friends and i consider myself somewhat anti-social and very shy *especially around girls* but i lose all that when i'm online since, just like Cy said, we're not in person but behind a monitor

Signature Image

Barbara

Tomorrow is another day

Yeah Cel, I'm not shy but I just don't feel like talking to strangers and I think it's only because of my cautiousness.
Through internet I kind of express myself more, almost everybody does, I guess..... But sometimes that makes me feel that I'm not my true person, I can talk stuff that I don't even think of when I'm in real life and it really freaks me out ^_^. Anyway, I would prefer talking face to face when something relates to relationship, can not guess the others' attitude & emotions through internet though......
Oh, did I say thanks for the comment on the scan "Friends"??? If not, I'll say it later Cel ^_^ Honestly, I could not read the comment for that scan, don't know why though. Whenever I can see the comment I'll get back to you.
Good night!!! Sweet dream :)

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world
- Bill Wilson -

hmm well i used to be quite shy up to the years before highschool...always in fear that my words will be mis-interpreted, but now im much more confident in myself.

Online chatting is a way to say things with lil consequence plus, online you can hug,kiss, or hit strangers which you probably wouldn't do irl.

When your chattin online, your tone of voice can't really be detected soo ppl can't mis-interpret your feelings as much as irl.

Your also free to say or do silly things that won't make you look any less mature than if you were to do them irl.

So it is true, most ppl dont act the same way online and irl, more like they can confidently speak their mind online, and are able to say something and take it back or edited later online ,but are more of at timid person irl.

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

I act my real self here :)
toally evil and so where crazy like ^_^'
That me anyway :)

page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next » 59 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.