Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Backgrounds, simple or complex? - Minitokyo

Backgrounds, simple or complex?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

ever-ruler

ever-ruler

..: winter air :..

I came across this discussion with a friend of my who is a doujinshi artist. I was wondering is it better to make a wallpaper background simple with few effects or complex with lots of effects and rendering, etc? A simple background places more emphasis on the subject of the wallpaper, but a complex background usually looks better and is more detailed.

I can't really decide which one is better, but a simple background seems easier to make. What are your thoughts?

MoonlightEternity

MoonlightEternity

::Amayasuki::

depends. some look good when they're simple. some look really crowded when its complex. but i find the complex ones catch people's eyes.

^^ everyone thinks differently tho cuz everyone has their own opinions

Signature Image
::MoonlightEternity aka Kimi-chan::

glassheart

glassheart

Heine's love slave

Even though a simpler bg would be easier to make, I suggest a more comlex wall. Unless the simple wall has really good effects or a catchy theme, it won't be paid much attention to.

Teryon

Teryon

He who invents Ultratech

Ive been told several times my backgrounds are too complex. But personally, I think a more complex background gives more for the eye to pick over, basically more candy for it ;0

"Brute force is not my way. My technology can devise infinitely more
successful, subtle, and unpleasant methods..."
Signature

If the background draws attention away fom the or makes it too hard to see icons on the desktop, it can be detrimental to the effect. Using a simple background, muting the colors of the background, or just accenting the subject can all make it look better.

Rizy123

Rizy123

*AM active now, msg me baby ;)*

I would think it would depend on how you want to portray your main subject of the wall..

Eg. want more emphasis on the actual image then more simplistic background, want more details fully go for complex..

Either way as long as it looks good it doesn't really matter :P

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

If your drawing the image used on a wallpaper, the background should be simple. That way, it doesn't distract from your original image. But if a wall you are making uses a pic scanned from "bleach" or such than it all depends on what you want. Plus some pics look better with simple backgrounds and some look better with complex ones.

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

There's one thing that always catches my attention most of the time - the complexity of the wallpaper.

I actually prefer complex wallpapers over simple ones, in general. The best walls I like to see are those that are normally half-complex and half-simple altogether.

I've seen some very few walls that have the most dynamic effects all meshed together in one spot, and less-detailed everywhere else - it looked utterly fantastic, in my opinion. Sometimes, it can be very easy on the eyes as you search around the wallpaper as well, and thinking if it should truly deserve to be put up in front of your desktop, or left out, I suppose. I do not prefer overly-complex drawn wallpapers here - however, because they can make one look totally cramped, messy, and out of place.

As well, for simple wallpapers, I clearly emphasize on one thing - quality. If a wallpaper artist doesn't have much to work on, it would be nice if they could make the objects on a simple wallpaper look much more detailed and fascinating in a sense - in fact, sophistication has its boundaries, but I would not mind seeing the clarity from within these certain objects as well. The cleaner a simple wallpaper may look - extractions, etc. - the better the visual appeal will be for me here. I would not mind a little light design on some parts of a simple wallpaper. It definitely has a nice ring to the effects, no doubt, and simplicity does have its highlights quite as well.

Aside from all that, I still would prefer complex wallpapers over here. Truly, the more effort that is being put onto an image, the more likely appealing it will become. That's why I consider myself to be very picky over these sorts of images over here.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

ever-ruler

ever-ruler

..: winter air :..

Some people say that there's beauty in simplicity. But I noticed that a lot of time really good, well-painted, or well-rendered backgrounds are much more appealing than simple ones with maybe just a few abstract effects. But then again, really complex ones can make it look like the artist spent too much time on one part of the background and not anything else and it does take attention away from the foreground.

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

Somewhere between the two, methinks

I am invincible!

Simple of course! But I agree it should have a degree of complexity. Simple wallpapers are easier to see icons on. And that usually makes it better. Even more important though is the colour scheme ;)

~knighty

Member of:
MT UK

ShiNN

ShiNN

O RLY?!

this is really up to one's personal taste. And please, let's put aside the discussion "complex wallapers look better because the artist put more effort", that's not a detable thing because the definition of "simple" and "complex" is again too personal. Something that looks pretty simple to your eyes might look complex to an other person. Honestly, I don't care how much effort has been put for the wallpaper, as long as I like the result wether that be complex or simple. You can browse my gallery, you'll find from a bit complex wallpapers to more simple ones, I don't have a preference becase I don't think about it, I mean it's not like I'm making a wallpaper and thinking "I am gonna do a complex/simple thing", I just draw what I feel to draw, if it turns complex or simple that will just depend from the idea that I have in my mind and from how I do intend to convey it.

Just focus on what you like.

tishdon

tishdon

Lost in Transit

Over-filtered BG's are becoming really common and over-used. In my opinion a simple but well created BG, that emphasise and higlights the central picture alway has my vote. Some of my absolute favourites that I've downloaded from various sites have a well picked main picture and a subdued and stunning BG- This doesn't mean a one filter effect, it takes time to make a well structured BG. But basically the BG must match the main scan.

Kuzain

eeto...uumo...

I like backgrounds that focus on the character (either a single character, couple, group shot or whatever) with a really simply back ground that suits the mood. Every once in a while a scene is nice too, but even then the character should be the focus.

ShiNN84's One Last Look (http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/101572/) is a good example of a scene that focuses mostly on the character.

~*Signature
	Image*~
Osaka-san!

onimakura

onimakura

under new management

complex, it looks good

under new management

Vinitachi

Vinitachi

Azndude

It depends. I overall like simple walls. Complex wall are great but don't go too over board.

Learning little by little.
Signature

fabismine

fabismine

Aladdin+Anime

I think the complex ones prettier, but I never really use them on my desktop, cause I think it gets too polluted...

Signature

I'm like a shooting star
I've come so far
I can't go back to where I used to be...

CopyMaster

CopyMaster

:: STATUS: Logged Out ::

It all depends on how you want the picture to be portrayed. Remember, when presenting your idea through art to others, it is very important to know what you want them to see. Say, if you want to place focus on a character, a plain background will do. If you want an impressive looking piece which will leave your viewers flabberghasted, go for the complex one. However, if you want a neat backfround and place a lot of focus on the character, do blending. Allow the character to become PART of the background by placing equal toning to the character and background. In my opinion, this is the best method to take.

MAX//Copy II ~ Its' all about Transcendence...
Signature
BEAT HIM! BEAT HIM GOOD!

Zadkhi

Zadkhi

l i v e d r e a m e r

I simply hate clutter on my destktop, so I like simple, clean, with not too much color or objects.

But yeah... it does depend on what is "complex" and what is simple. The last background/wall I made was pretty simple, but I like it and it's sitting pretty on my desktop right now. :)

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

inferno-angel

inferno-angel

the.god.of.death

both are good, depends on the style :D

RurouniSpritz

RurouniSpritz

Misutard.

I usually go for a simple effect.
Something that won't draw too much attention from the stock, especially if it's a real cute one :3
People usually label anything I make, sigs or wallpapers or banners, as boring, though XD

When looking for wallpapers, it's the ones which have plainer backgrounds that appeal to me more, since they're wallpapers - not necessarily phantasmagorias or anything. Simplicity has its own way of being effective.

Signature Image
:3

Ritalin

Ritalin

Rawrz.

Complex is ugly. It's cluttered, messy, and very often done in a horrible way that just makes me go "...yick." Simple is clean, easy to look at, and doesn't distract you.

Complex walls, in the general term, can be made to look good. The only problem is that most of them are used in the wrong way (random filters, trendwh0re... too random...) with anime. Stand alone they can look great. Personally I prefer minimalistic walls with some complex designs within them.

Complex walls are overkilled right now. Including scenery (which are usually complex), I'm sick of both of them!! >_< They were good at one point, now it's just too much.

Caffeinated Dreams
outrageously caffeinated weblog.

IRC--express--Twilight Whispers-

i think you should shut up ya crack head

pamelaho

pamelaho

*iyellowbus...

Quote by Puccabunnyi think you should shut up ya crack head

Glad to see you're banned.

Heh, maybe a simple background that looks complex! Wait, how do you do that?! That probably requires a lot of skills (no duh!)

Signature

Latest Wallpaper: Hidamari no Tami - Vector

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.