Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Fanservice discussion - Minitokyo

Fanservice discussion

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 27 total items

I've been watching lots of animes filled with lots of pantishots, ecchi like situations and other funny stuff like that... I've been wondering...

Is fanservice this necessary in animes?

And with fanservice I don't just mean the eyecandy, but also excessive violence and stuff. Instead of trying to make even more interesting stories, it seems that lots of animes nowadays just like to call our attention with "more visual things". I don't say it's bad, but... well, I guess the multiple "Onegai" series sayz it all.

What do you think?

BZZZZZZZZZZT.

I think fanservice very necessary cause...eh......it really cool and keeps me glued to the tube!!!!

Heh, I don't know. X) Depends what you're into, I suppose. :) I mean, there are some (*shallowcough*) people who probably watch to be served, and would not appreciate a lack of it. But there are serious series out there, if you don't like it. :) Heheh..

man thats what i liked about akira...
its plot rocked, there was the chick that gets her shirt ripped off, and a lot of violence...
it satisfys everyone XD

ShinjiIkari32

Bishoujo Aficionado

See now, that's why it's called FANservice. Fans of a series, who stick with it, be it good or bad, are ocasionally rewarded with an ecchi situation involving their favorite characters. IMO, it's just the studio's way of saying thanks to the viewers..Ofcourse, there are THOSE OTHER STUDIOS (you know who you are!) who have to back up their series with an absolute onslaught of the stuff because the show has nothing else going for it.

Take a quote from any anime and replace a word vital to the sentence with "pants", for instant comedy..
"I am the answer to all who cry out for pants!"-Goku, DBZ
"Those pants were more than just armor! Unit 01 has broken free of the pants that bend it to our will!"-Ritsuko, Evangelion
"Unfamiliar pants.."-Shinji, Evangelion

PTG

Firripu-Daioh

Fan service is always a nice addtion, and it is one factor that keeps me loving anime, it is the fact that it is different and something that they would deffinatly not show on American TV.

"If I went around saying I was an Emporer, just because some moistened bink had lobbed a scimitar at me,they'd put me away." (Dennis - Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

chresto

chresto

alu love :*

Talking about FanService.
Well, personnaly, I think it is necessary to satisfy the needs of some people (most of us). Furthermore, it brings anime much closer t reality. And, it fits in both serious anime and comedies... If an anime is a comedy, it is only natural to show some pantishots or something like that because IT IS a comedy. Wanna now what is an original comedy ? (Speaking as a greek guy) Comedy derives from the greek word Komodia. In ancient times, there were (and still in our days) 3 types of dramas: a) comedies. b)tragedies. c)satiriko drama (something like a comedy but with a VERY SERIOUS plot or meaning in the background. So, in ancient comedies, actors, almost always, were naked, making people lough while acting. So, the naked factor is essential in order a comedy to be an original comedy, so u cannot blame fanservice in our days.
If an anime is a serious anime, fanservice won't destroy it... it is serious on its own way... and fanservice becomes automatically serious too... so, no need to worry so much about fanservice. Enjoy ur life.

-.-.-. ph0T0cH0p3r d3sIgn3r .-.-.-
Signature

Fanservice, I think it is necessary cause it's great to have it. I mean many people would probably like it also.

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

ehehe...fanservice....I like fanservice, and shows with excessive panty shots are quite funny. Me and my friend watched raimuiro senkitan and actually counted the panty shots in every episode...we did the same thing with the najica:blitz tactics trailer ;P

KenshinFFX

KenshinFFX

Jaded Hitokiri

this is a great topic,

Fanservice in some anime's is really not nessessary.... And some of the best anime's that have it in them didn't really need it they prolly jsut kept doing it for the attention.

I personally think that there are some shots that if you do realistically they will have to show some panty shots.... But then there are others who only show it for the feeling of having it there.

It is somewhat of a mockery of these characters and some animes that show it excessively I have come to despise for they demean their own anime.

Have respect for the shot before you go doting on it.

That is what I say.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Heheh did anyone say anything like this? if so sorry cause my eyes are getting tired and I cant read all the posts up there, anyways...

Ever wonder who the audience for alot of anime is? Males. So it would make sense for some shows to have ecchi themes.. overly so can get annoying, but a little used for comody isnt bad now and then.. besides I think that the Japanese are a little more open to this kind of thing. BTW I think that fanservice is in no way related to reality or realism.. Its anime... Its not possible for fanservice to bring anime closer to reality.. it usually makes it less real?...

There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world. There is only necessity...

Fanservice is the icing on top of the cake, so to speak. As a LARGE portion of the anime audience is male, it doesn't take much brainpower to figure out that they should throw in stuff that appeals to males. I do agree however that there are a few series without fanservice, that really don't need fanservice because they are *that* great in and of themselves. I gotta admit though, fanservice is a definite + to a series that I might DL the first ep of just to see what it is and end up liking it.

Fanservice + Male audience = more $$$ for studios

Three things are certain in this life...
Death, Taxes, and Horrible Dubs!

I think fanservice is generaly unnessery. Sure you get arrounsed by it but it usually does nothing to further the storyline. It also bumps up the age rating making it less excessable to people.

Signature

I wouldn't say you get *aroused* by it as much as get a good laugh (obviously that depends on the situation service is seen in). As for the age rating getting raised, good! The higher the age rating a series is, the less likely a licensing company is to cut stuff out thinking it's a "kid's show".

I disagree, look at Miyazaki films. Almost nothing was cut and those are some of the cleanest (and arguably best) anime out there. They had very few edits and cuts.

Signature

Miyazaki films...first of all are licensed by Disney (that's a totally different ballpark from normal licensing companies) and they're movies, not TV series. Movies are generally treated in a different perspective from TV shows because they are released in theaters, which people have to pay to get into and typically want to see the original version. I'm sure some series out there exist without fanservice that truly dont need it (see my post above), but fanservice is a nice little bonus on the side for fans of a series. You can always hit "FF" if you don't want to see certain scenes. *grins*

The only two companies that really edit the hell out of series are Funimation (Back in the early DBZ days) and 4kids. The others do a pretty good job of keeping as close to the origional as possible.

Signature

HM... my comment about fanservice... I'll explain:

Some years ago, we saw lots of movies like Perfect Blue, that got a lot of nudity scenes and really explicit violent screens... but plot itself was a lot more important, so fanservice was a 2nd term element.

Other case: Royal Space Force, Wings of Honneamise. Fanservice there was practically null (except the part when Shiro was drunk and tried to... rape Leiquini :P), and I consider it one of the best anime movies I've ever seen (I prefer it over Akira).

You get my point? Fanservice before was used as a complement... nowadays it's a MUST... WTF?!

Comments? :P

BZZZZZZZZZZT.

Quote by kyosuke
You get my point? Fanservice before was used as a complement... nowadays it's a MUST... WTF?!

Comments? :P

Yes, it seems it's become a must because even shounen anime have girly fanservice. I mean, sure, I'm a girl and I like shoujo anime some, but when I watch "boy" shows, i'd rather the characters look and act like they belong in a shounen anime.

That's not saying I'm not appreciative of fanservice--I am, and there may even be some occasions where I'm more amused by fan service than by the actual plot/show. But when my favorite MALE characters (like Ginji of Get Backers) start looking like girls, I feel i should just stick to reading my girly manga.

As someone on the GB LJ community once told me (as regards to the girly/yaoish fanservice on GB): "If there're any gay men, well I like 'em stay gay. If they're boys, then they should stay boys."

If knowing is believing, I'm drowning in delusions.

chresto

chresto

It is supposed that Fan service makes u laugh. Ok, there were many series which made me laugh, but when I saw Mahoromatic for a first time, I thought that too much Fan service is unecessary. The whole project some times, was not funny, but hilarious... What I wanna say, is that, some times, fan service destroy the whole anime... even if it is a good anime.
On the other hand, there are some anime, such Perfect Blue as ~kyosouke~ well said, that used Fan service as an advantage... they did not destroyed the movie by using Fan service, but made it more serious and realistic.
So, I believe, that Fan service is usefull, if the creators can use it correctly, something which is difficult, as a result, they make an excessive use of it... and the series is wasted...

Signature

Caiobrz

Caiobrz

Wispy

If you really think that animes exagerate on fanservice and violence, my only answer is: you gotta watch more titles =p

Not going to comment about it more than that, since I find the theme very hipocrital on itself, even if anime DID exagerate on that.

p.s.: on a quick scan on the animes I've seen (around 200), less then 50% have fanservice/ecchi, and less then 30% have violence.

Signature
Extensive quality reviews and some wall/scans, visit!
http://www.daisuki.com.br

Rex

Rex

Fafner Pilot

well.....it's not a must for any anime to do well.....

i don't remember any fanservice at all in lastExile...and that was a very good anime IMO

however..that's because it's the nature of the anime that don't require fanservice....if you look at animes like the onegai series and mahoromatic, they uses fanservice....as a way of generating humor in the show. i guess it's all about the genere of the anime....if it's comedy romance based...i guess u could say that fanservice is a must for those...but if it's something like science fiction/adventure....those could do without fanserive and still make an awesome anime.

chresto

chresto

@ Caiobrz -> Watch out because u take it statistically... it doesn't have to do with how many titles have fan service and how many don't. We are talking about fan service more generally. We are talking about how we see fan service in anime!
@ Rex -> I believe more or less, all anime could use fan service (even in a limited level...) There actually exist anime without fan service, but that's natural... if the theme of the anime is totally different and has nothing to do with such things. But, u mention that fan service serves as a way to generate humor. I don't think so. Well, as a matter of fact, it serves as a way to generate humor but in comedies... it could also serve as a way to prove the seriousness of the anime, e.g Perfect Blue. Ecchi things are not always disadvantages. As I mentioned, if the creators can use fan service correctly, they can achieve satisfying things. And not always fan service is related to romance anime... take for example Neon Genesis Evangelion... did the fan service destroyed the anime... probably no!

Signature

NGE anime wasn't destroyed by fanservice... but by fanboys ;P

BTW, other way of fanservice... really impressive representations of cars, vehicles or mechanic stuff :P I swear... I think that's the least noticed form of fanservice ever :P

Nature of the anime itself... good point. But... ok, first Onegai season was decent IMO... but Onegai Twins was a joke... I mean, it's bad, boring... but it called some attention because of its fanservice... and I hope Onegai Friends doesn't make the same mistake.

That's my point...

BZZZZZZZZZZT.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 27 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.