Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Minitokyo DOES NOT have viruses. - Minitokyo

Minitokyo DOES NOT have viruses.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

Nuriko

Retired Moderator

Nuriko

Hentai Slayer

Normally I don't like encouraging the threat, but I got a PM today that bothered me and I figured I might as well post a thread topic about it because we get this kind of question all the time.

You cannot get a virus or adware from browsing/downloading off of Minitokyo. We don't host it, and we're clean.

Viruses are completely unable to attach themselves to image files. That's because viruses still need to be executed to run. Usually they would be name.jpg.exe or some other executable extension. However, others have had a few corrupted downloads off of MT can make the explorer window crash, which can give the appearance of a virus, but that is not an MT problem, it's the download not finishing properly. The problem is generally solved by deleting the errant file(s). (Tama!)

If you believe you have contracted a virus from Minitokyo, you didn't. Your virus problem has nothing to do with MT and I suggest you evaluate your other browsing habits for a solution to your virus problem. There are free virus programs such as Avast that may help prevent a future infection. Both Symantec and Avast offer on the spot cleaning of viruses, and there are many adware/malware removal tools on the internet.

Signature Image
Congrats to Crash-kun :: sarak :: Evanrued for winning the Nuriko Prize!

I think I understand now! :) Since MT does not carry any viruses at all, then there has to be a logical explanation as to why it is acting slower lately! Mebbie it has to do with the servers lagging, but I'm not actually a computer expert myself so I dunno! ^_^' Looks like I have to wait and see what happens real soon, ne? Thank you so much for the update, Nuriko! ;)

~ StarCentury

PS: Do you know any good adware/malware and spyware removal tools you can recommend me? :\

I don't mean to split hairs, but you CAN actually get infected by a virus through a simple .jpg.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS04-028.mspx

Miroku4444

Miroku4444

Ecchi Enthusiast!!

Quote by sneeka2I don't mean to split hairs, but you CAN actually get infected by a virus through a simple .jpg.

It is possiable if a virus program is piggy-banked on top of a jpeg file.

Signature

minimouzo

minimouzo

Papaya

i found this article on symantec which gives some informations about such viruses (using .exe files to infect):
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.perrun.html

but they seem to be already known by Norton McAffee and the others ... so alerts should come before you get infected ,no ?

Eat a papaya everyday and everything will be ok Signature Image

Support section

tecnophreak

tecnophreak

retired user

i have tried to explain this to my mom repeatedly, and now i have conformation. thanks nuri!

EDIT: she still doens't believe me. what a stubborn *****************......oh well.

Signature

Nuriko

Retired Moderator

Nuriko

Hentai Slayer

Quote by sneeka2I don't mean to split hairs, but you CAN actually get infected by a virus through a simple .jpg.

It's a security update, not a virus. In order for a JPG to infect the computer, it must be accompanied by the exe for it, which is the actual virus (which is still not on Minitokyo). There is a difference between an exploit and a virus.

Signature Image
Congrats to Crash-kun :: sarak :: Evanrued for winning the Nuriko Prize!

minimouzo

minimouzo

Papaya

Quote by StarcenturyPS: Do you know any good adware/malware and spyware removal tools you can recommend me? smiley

spybot-search & destroy (SpyBot S&D) is recognized to be very good and free ; ad-aware is also a common program to remove them. But i strongly recommend to check yourself the windows regedit. It's safer to do the removal by yourself.

Eat a papaya everyday and everything will be ok Signature Image

Support section

sammo

Retired Moderator

sammo

Retired Moderator

MT is infected by something worst than viruses... ecchi and hentai perverts! >_< make them stop!! ::sammo gets stomped on by 2/3 of MT members::

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

sammo, chill out. We can fix one of those viruses easily. ^_^'

My computer is free of spyware and adware. In fact, I haven't had one single pop-up during my stay at Minitokyo. So, Minitokyo is free of viruses.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Quote by NurikoYour virus problem has nothing to do with MT and I suggest you evaluate
your other browsing habits for a solution to your virus problem.

hehe you know what that means right...quit browsing those "adult" websites XD haha avoid all sites that automatically starts a download for you...oh yea dont open mail from ppl you dont know no matter how tempting they are..haha that includes "Wanna Cyber?" or "free webcam links"
just delete em or send them to osi XD haha jk jk

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

euna

Retired Moderator

euna

Hahaha... what a coincidence....
My computer had a virus the last week or so >___<
It was from some random place we've no idea where...
definitely not mt...
i reckon it was my bro when he was searching for answers to his science homework.. XD
Anywayz, relieving to hear that MT is clean - of course, i figured that out already...
I just think it's funny that someone sent that PM to ya nuri...
must've been someone who saw my frustrated shout on the shoutbox XD XD XD

Sir-Boingal0t

Sir-Boingal0t

BOINGATR0N

rofl......viruses.....@_@........in MT........you guys.......

-______-

Signature Image
DigiTalBoing XD boingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingo
ingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingoingoing

Quote by NurikoIt's a security update, not a virus.

Of course it's not, but this security bulletin shows a weakness which can be used to execute unwanted code on your PC, i.e. a virus.

Quote by NurikoIn order for a JPG to infect the computer, it must be accompanied by the exe for it, which is the actual virus (which is still not on Minitokyo).

Not with this one. You can prepare a special corrupted JPEG which already contains the code to be executed.

Quote by NurikoThere is a difference between an exploit and a virus.

Yes. One's the theoretical weakness, the other one's the malicious program making use of it.

Sorry, not meaning to scare anybody, but this is a real thread. Of course I'm not saying that MT does host these pictures or carries viruses...

irix

irix

quam sidera multa, cum tacet nox

Quote by sneeka2

Quote by NurikoIn order for a JPG to infect the computer, it must
be accompanied by the exe for it, which is the actual virus (which is
still not on Minitokyo).

Not with this one. You can prepare a special corrupted JPEG which
already contains the code to be executed.

yeah, you can do that... but i'm believe that is more efective a trojan or a worm nor a virus... ^^' [or maybe... mmm... thinking about that...]

well, but the point here is that MT not have any virus, but have a lot of bugs in the code [that makes your bandwith looks like a dial up conextion! ^^].

bort

Ecchi Fan

well I never thought MT had viruses or adware but its still good to know for sure that we are safe

Hey

Holt

Holt

pffft

What this means is that everyone should use Mozilla Firefox which has effective pop-up/background installation blocking. This'll save you from many a virus and spyware.
Internet explorer sucks!

Signature Image

HamsterJohn

HamsterJohn

Defender of ur Mom

In the end, it's still user-error, as everyone (but the users) says.

000011111 11110000111 000111 111 111 !!!!oneone one

Stop wasting the internet!

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

Guys, whether JPGs can hold viruses or not is not the point of this thread. You can discuss that issue endlessly. The point of this thread is:
MT does not harbor any viruses.

This is almost hilarious.
For starters, the very thing you quote is simply an exploit, one which MS has dealt with.
Two, a virus cannot be executed from a jpeg file, it requires an exe for execution to occur.
Three, the admins have already verified MT does NOT have viruses (and never has)

Honestly, To keep this thread going is bordering on an attempt to instill fear into the community over something so trivial, its meaningless.

Signature Image

TW12T3D

TW12T3D

Anxiously Waiting . . .

what about those green words. all my friends have them. but i dont. hahahahahahahahaahhah.

DaNuke

DaNuke

Punio de Hierro

By own experience, the only sites contaminated with virii are pr0n sites, crackz/warez/serialz/appz/isoz/gamez/anything-that-finishes-with-z sites, and maybe some personal sites.

Quote by people from the Irrompibles forumsDaedalus: i can imagine Rince's mangas
plater: ECCHI!
Pollo: Pure vile hentai.

Listening: Vengaboys - We Like to Party (The Vengabus)

Sorry for most likely sounding pedantic, but being a computer scientist and working in the computer industry, I simply cannot stand something like this being reported the wrong way.
The only point I want to convey here is that a virus does not need an .exe, it can come in many forms, also as a JPEG. You have probably heard of Blaster & co? You don't need to run an .exe for them to infect your PC, in fact you do not need to do anything. They exploit a buffer overflow in Windows' remote services. Pretty much the same with this JPEG vulnerability, just targeting another Windows component and spreading differently. Read it here, here, here, here, here or here.

Admittedly one would have to go through some lengths to implement a virus in a jpeg, but it is technically possible. I'd just like to know that we can not get viruses through MT because you're making sure nobody can upload such corrupted files, rather than you saying that a virus can only spread through .exes, which is simply wrong.

/stops ranting now.

crewcifix

crewcifix

Christian Boy

glad to here that. ;D

Feel the Rain on Your Skin. No One Else can Feel it For You. Only You Can Let it in.
Signature Image
-=Admin&Mod=- Flip | Ice and Snow | Nippon Foods | TSubasa | Pure Light Love | Assistance Coalescence | Make a Friend | FMWS | Syaoran shrine | Filipino Comm. | Sakura | Sea | Pokemon League | SS shrine | The Real Folk Blues | English | McDonald's

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.