Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 same-sex marriage? - Minitokyo

same-sex marriage?

page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next » 189 total items

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

okay... i was surprised to see there wasn't any thread about this subject... and since i know someone who loves threads that aren't too easy to answer to (yes, mel, i'm talking about you ^^) i thought maybe i could start one...

anyways, do you agree with same-sex marriage? Coz' i know there's a heated debate about it in Canada and the United States, and in lots of other countries in the world i suppose...

in my case, i don't see what's so wrong with it... i mean, there's this whole "it goes against traditional values", and "God made us for man-woman relationships" and so on... but to me, if God didn't accept those, why would he even create people that have a preference for their own sex? And for the traditional values argument... it's true, it would change everything... but sometimes, those values are meant to be changed... i don't know... i just think homosexuals should have the right to choose... be free to do so, as heterosexuals are...

anyways, i'm curious to know what you think about this issue... and btw, everyone is entitled to their opinion, you might disagree, but i don't want any flaming, for anyone... please ^^

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

You're so sweet, Ayamael. I love you for that! :) Leave it to me to post in the hard-to-post-in threads! XD

I wouldn't agree with same-sex marriage. Officials are trying to end same-sex marriage in the US. Some people say that the minds of those who are married to a same-sex person are negatively tweaked, but it could be an unjust statement until more people are surveyed about the subject. That's about all I know.

Of course, marrying you would be no problem at all. XP I'm so gullible! XP

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

To be able to have the fulfilling need of being loved some people just take the road less traveled by. I suppose everyone is entitled to their happiness and if it's with the same sex, then ok. As humans we should at least be tolerant of other people's version of happiness.

"The world is made to help people find each other." -Anita King

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

Quote by melmachine18You're so sweet, Ayamael. I love you for that! :) Leave it to me to
post in the hard-to-post-in threads! xd
i wouldn't agree with same-sex marriage. Officials are trying to end
same-sex marriage in the US. Some people say that the minds of those
who are married to a same-sex person are negatively tweaked, but it
could be an unjust statement until more people are surveyed about the
subject. That's about all I know.
Of course, marrying you would be no problem at all. XP I'm so gullible!
XP

lol, funny one aren't you XD never on the first date XP

and yeah, i was aware US. officials are strongly against it ^^

skysong

skysong

~SMS~

I disagree with same-sex marriages...I believe in upholding the traditional values of marriage between a man and a woman.
well, i guess thats about all i have to say :)

Signature

eh..do whatever you want that makes you happy...
well other than hurt or kill ppl..that just evil..
haha maybe if homosexuals got married and faced all the pains of marraige they wouldn't be so happy and flamboyant XD

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

Dragus

Dragus

DarkDragonKnight

Quote by skysongI disagree with same-sex marriages...I believe in upholding the traditional values of marriage between a man and a woman.

To all those who know me know i mean no disrespect but i have to agree with skysong, i am a firm believer that marriage is the most sacred thing between a man and a woman and should be upheld as such.

Signature
-DragonKnight of the Flame Kingdom-

Yakuru

Yakuru

Let's DDR!

A marriage is between two people, it should up to those two people and nobody else to decide what is right for their own future.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Signature

Yakuru

Yakuru

Let's DDR!

A marriage is between two people, I believe it should be up to those two people and nobody else to decide what is right for their own future.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. :)

Signature

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

Quote by Chopstickzeh..do whatever you want that makes you happy...
well other than hurt or kill ppl..that just evil..
haha maybe if homosexuals got married and faced all the pains of marraige they wouldn't be so happy and flamboyant XD

loll, maybe ^^ but be careful, some girl might slap you for that last line... or a guy? lolll

Quote by Dragus

Quote by skysongI disagree with same-sex marriages...I believe in
upholding the traditional values of marriage between a man and a woman.

To all those who know me know i mean no disrespect but i have to agree
with skysong, i am a firm believer that marriage is the most sacred
thing between a man and a woman and should be upheld as such.

and it's all right, i said i respected everyone's opinion about it, it is a controversial subject after all ^^ and it goes against all traditional values maintained for years... ^^ but, this subject is weird coming from me, coz' i don't even believe in marriage in the first place... -_-

Quote by YakuruA marriage is between two people, it should up to those two people and
nobody else to decide what is right for their own future. Life,
liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

nice way of putting it ^^

I am against it. There are many reasons I feel this way, but these two are the biggest:

1) The family unit is the basic unit of society, and has been throughout the history of humanity. Outside of adoption, same-sex marriages cannot become families. Those who desire same-sex marriage do not desire to start a family anyway - they're mostly only doing it for the sex; being that marriage benefits are intended to encourage family building, there is no reason for homosexuals to be married.

2) This one should seem fairly obvious, but it apparently isn't. Certain male "parts" are designed to work with and complement certain female "parts," for the purpose of procreation. Both are obviously not present in a single sex relationship.

Despite my opinion, I -do- believe that homosexuals do deserve the respect due to all human beings. However, because it is both unnatural and destructive to society, homosexuality should most definitely be discouraged.

Yakuru

Yakuru

Let's DDR!

Quote by Rebel428I am against it. There are many reasons I feel this way, but these two
are the biggest:
1) The family unit is the basic unit of society, and has been
throughout the history of humanity. Outside of adoption, same-sex
marriages cannot become families. Those who desire same-sex marriage do
not desire to start a family anyway - they're mostly only doing it for
the sex; being that marriage benefits are intended to encourage family
building, there is no reason for homosexuals to be married.
2) This one should seem fairly obvious, but it apparently isn't.
Certain male "parts" are designed to work with and complement certain
female "parts," for the purpose of procreation. Both are obviously not
present in a single sex relationship.
Despite my opinion, I -do- believe that homosexuals do deserve the
respect due to all human beings. However, because it is both unnatural
and destructive to society, homosexuality should most definitely be
discouraged.

In reply to your first point:
Why would you say that homosexuals get married just to have sex, to me it just sounds like you're putting words in their mouth. Also, I don't see how the adoption of a child would hinder their function as a family unit. An adopted child can be loved like any other.

In reply to your second point:
Yes, I'm aware that both types of reproductive organs are necessary for procreation; however, in the case of a homosexual relationship, an adoption would easily fix that problem of not being able to procreate. Your argument here does nothing to support the reason you're against same-sex marriages.

If you truly believe homosexuals deserve respect, why do you feel their way of life should be discouraged?

Signature

Quote by Yakuru
In reply to your first point:
Why would you say that homosexuals get married just to have sex, to me
it just sounds like you're putting words in their mouth. Also, I don't
see how the adoption of a child would hinder their function as a family
unit. An adopted child can be loved like any other.
In reply to your second point:
Yes, I'm aware that both types of reproductive organs are necessary for
procreation; however, in the case of a homosexual relationship, an
adoption would easily fix that problem of not being able to procreate.
Your argument here does nothing to support the reason you're against
same-sex marriages.

You misunderstood my first point - single-sex couples cannot have a family other than through adoption. However, the option of adoption does not change the fact that single-sex marriages are not the natural means of procreation. It is also extremely important for children to have both a mother and a father in their life, as both sexes each have important, unique contributions to parenting; in a same-sex pair, one will always be missing. The effects on a child with two parents of the same sex are similar to the effects of a child raised by a single parent - increased tendencies toward delinquency, alcohol, and so forth.

This is almost a moot point to discuss anyway, as only a very small percentage of homosexual couples actually adopt. (Not to mention that, among children adopted by homosexual parents, there is a very strong tendency towards some form of sexual or other abuse by the parents.)

Quote: If you truly believe homosexuals deserve respect, why do you feel their
way of life should be discouraged?

The same reason that we respect criminals by not executing them (usually) but discourage crime. All humans possess a certain inherent level of dignity.

XavierCrow

From Angel to Vigilante

Hmm... I actually thought this would be a landslide in the direction of pro same-sex marriage. I'm thinking you should've put up a pole, Ayamael XP Anyway, I'm totally for it. It's just marriage. If you don't disagree with homosexuality then you don't disagree with them making the commitment with eachother. Marriage is just a bond signifieng commitment and a way to make paying bills easier. So why not? I can understand (barely) the churches objection towards it, but as a system of equal rights, and justice for all, I really can't see why or how they can disallow it. I don't see it being too long before same-sex marriage is passed in many countries and frankly I think it's overdue. It's basically the same as that whole 'interacial marriage' idea. That was initially frowned upon (to put it lightly), but people are much more understanding of it these days and it's not a big deal.
Each step made towards freedom, brings us closer to Heaven. Good thread, Ayameal.

In the end, all there is, is what exists and what we believe or perceive is true... and there's no distinctions between the two.
- Myself

Quote by XavierCrowIt's just marriage.

Tell that to all the children of divorced parents. What you said is partially correct - marriage throughout history, religious or otherwise, has been a bond signifying commitment that comes with financial benefits. You failed, however, to mention what is the most important element of marriage - the raising of children; without this purpose, there is no practical reason for marriage at all. Homosexuality is contrary to this objective for reasons I have stated earlier.

Yakuru

Yakuru

Let's DDR!

Quote by Rebel428I am against it. There are many reasons I feel this way, but these two
are the biggest:
2) This one should seem fairly obvious, but it apparently isn't.
Despite my opinion, I -do- believe that homosexuals do deserve the
discouraged.

Do you mean to say these marriages should be completely prohibited?

Signature

It depends on how you define "marriage." Do I think we should forcefully break up homosexual couples or keep them from having relationships and living with each other? Obviously not. However, I do not believe that such couples should receive the legal benefits intended to ease family-building, a -possible- exception being same-sex couples who have adopted one or more children.

destati

Yuusha-Oh

Very much pro. I see no reason that society should deny these people the opportunity to marry.

are the biggest:

So, then, do you believe that elderly couples should be allowed to marry? At some point, it becomes physically impossible for a man and a woman to procreate. Therefore, if they cannot create a family, they should not get the benefits of marriage, right?

Furthermore, there are many benefits that marriage provides that have nothing to do with having children. As it is now, homosexual people cannot have joint ownership of a house. They can't have a joint health care policy. They can't have a joint insurance policy. They pay extra taxes come retirement because they can't file jointly. If one partner becomes seriously ill or injured, the other isn't treated like a family member or a spouse, and has no say in their partner's treatment. And so on, and so forth.

Yes, marriage is often about children - but not always. Even so, allowing gay people to marry would not change that. People could still marry and have children, just like people now can marry and choose not to have children.

Quote by Rebel4282) This one should seem fairly obvious, but it apparently isn't.

See above, elderly, etc etc.

Quote by Rebel428Despite my opinion, I -do- believe that homosexuals do deserve the
discouraged.

Wow, 40 years ago you could've said the same thing about interracial dating and marriage. How exactly are homosexual people 'unnatural and destructive to society'?

In the end, it comes down to recognizing a loving, committed relationship between two consenting adults. If 'marriage' is somehow sacred, call it something else. But there is no reason to deny a homosexual couple the benefits that a heterosexual couple can receive.

"A man and a woman in a committed relationship can marry. Dogs, no matter what their relationship is, cannot marry. How should society treat gays and lesbians in committed relationships? As humans or as dogs?"

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

Quote by XavierCrowHmm... I actually thought this would be a landslide in the direction of
pro same-sex marriage. I'm thinking you should've put up a pole,
Ayamael XP Anyway, I'm totally for it. It's just marriage. If you don't
disagree with homosexuality then you don't disagree with them making
the commitment with eachother. Marriage is just a bond signifieng
commitment and a way to make paying bills easier. So why not? I can
understand (barely) the churches objection towards it, but as a system
of equal rights, and justice for all, I really can't see why or
how they can disallow it. I don't see it being too long before
same-sex marriage is passed in many countries and frankly I think it's
overdue. It's basically the same as that whole 'interacial marriage'
idea. That was initially frowned upon (to put it lightly), but people
are much more understanding of it these days and it's not a big deal.
Each step made towards freedom, brings us closer to Heaven. Good
thread, Ayameal.

thx XavierCrow, and yeah, i remembered the poll options right after i sent it :sweat: stupid me... and i agree with you ^^ i did think it would turn into a pro same-sex marriage thread, i was really surprised to see everyone didn't think that way, and now i understand the reasons why this is still such a heated debate...

Quote by Rebel428

Quote by XavierCrowIt's just marriage.

Tell that to all the children of divorced parents. What you said is
partially correct - marriage throughout history, religious or
otherwise, has been a bond signifying commitment that comes with
financial benefits. You failed, however, to mention what is the most
important element of marriage - the raising of children; without this
purpose, there is no practical reason for marriage at all.
Homosexuality is contrary to this objective for reasons I have stated
earlier.

as for this one... he did tell a child of divorced parents, hell, one of those children even started this thread... i'm sorry but my mother raised me as a single mother and i didn't turn into the alcoholic rebel you described... and my mom had gay friends, one of whom i considered a second father, and it didn't make me "insane" either...

destati makes a really good point with elderly couples... now i'll add one, would it be incorrect for men and women who do not have the physical ability to procreate to get married as well? i mean, they can't procreate, therefore they can't have a family... oh wait... my bad, i forgot about adoption... but homosexual couples can adopt as well... So, to me, the point is the same...

Quote by destatiFurthermore, there are many benefits that marriage provides that have
nothing to do with having children. As it is now, homosexual people
cannot have joint ownership of a house. They can't have a joint health
care policy. They can't have a joint insurance policy. They pay extra
taxes come retirement because they can't file jointly. If one partner
becomes seriously ill or injured, the other isn't treated like a family
member or a spouse, and has no say in their partner's treatment. And so
on, and so forth.
Yes, marriage is often about children - but not always. Even so,
allowing gay people to marry would not change that. People could still
marry and have children, just like people now can marry and choose not
to have children.

destati makes a really good point here as well... there are many more reasons to getting married than just procreating and raising families...

Quote by destati"A man and a woman in a committed relationship can marry. Dogs, no
matter what their relationship is, cannot marry. How should society
treat gays and lesbians in committed relationships? As humans or as
dogs?"

woah, now that is a comparison i wouldn't have even dared thinking about. It's shocking, yet it says it all...

i totaly againts its.in my country this type of mariagge are totally prohibited.and also i dont realy get how can a person be homo...

another thing god create human as men & woman so there shouldn't be such thing as the same sex marriage

pinkangel

pinkangel

::Konnichiwa::

I'm against it. God create man and a woman for him. If God wanted same sex marriage then He would made another men too so adam could choose. And God doesn't give us those feeling. AS God exist, the devil exist too. Those feeling aren't from God, it's from the devil to confuse people. But God respect that we have the free will to choose what we want do. My believes is that is wrong but I don"t HATE homosexual for their preference b/c then I wouldn't be abedience to God of to love and acept everyone as they are. But I can be in disagreement in a loving way. I have an Uncle that is gay and I don't hate him, I don't agree with his life but I still love him and respect him and his friend too. Is his life not mine. as a christian I know that when I die I'll to answer to God about my life not everyone else life.

And I agree completly with Rebel428 in everything he said. I don't think it's a good idea for them to adopt children. Still hard for them to understand, specially when they are little, and obvioulsy there's going to be a very minor ones that aren't affect and that's good. But my opinion it's that it's wrong. And I know maybe I'm going to have alot of you replying for what I believe and be a lot of trying to proof I'm wrong but that's ok. I respect your belive, I just hope you can do the same.

And marriage isn't about the benefits you can have. It's a commintement between to person ( preferibly men and woman) to joying their life and includes ALOT of sacrifacies to make it work. Isn't a thing to take lightly. That the problem in society now, that take marriege lightly, they like each other and whee let get marriage but they don't think that the "honey moon" feeling ends and you have to work like a said very hard to make it work. In marriage you have to learn to compromise and sacrified too. You learn to acept your spouse their virtue as well as their imperfeccion. Becoming as one is hard but at the end it's worth it. I'm marriage so I know that it's to be and all the thing you go through. You have deal with raising children, financial ( and most marriage has finacial problem. and it's the # thing that get couple to divorce), family, friend, job and the list goes on. Yes, you have benefits for the health insurance and taxes but not always it's a benefit. ask why marriage couple lie in the taxes so that they don't have to pay or put them as they are separate. if it's a benefit... If my husband die today, I have all the responsability of the debts and our children in my shoulders because we got them together as marriage couple.... tell me if that's a benefit... the same fo the insurance. and do you really know who much cost a funeral this day? if you don't have a insurance for that, for your spouse isn't going to be a benefit to be able to pay one. I assure you that yes there's some lucky marriage that haven't gone through all this but the mayority is...

DarkChronos

DarkChronos

The Wicked One This Way Comes

Ayamael, you took them words from my fingers.

why they dont let Gay people get married? i don't get it :S

I don't know. We've recently discussed this thing in class as a policy argument so cheers to the thread starter.

First up, our professor (who is straight, BTW) said that if we look at it as a civil rights issue (not as a moral issue as some posts before argued), then same-sex marriage should be allowed. As Yakuru pointed out, it is part of their pursuit of happiness. They're not violating any laws when they enter a homosexual relationship; what is wrong is that they are denied of the same circumstances given to married people who have relationships similar to theirs.

Alright, on to the moral issue:
Let's suppose that most of the babies born from this time hence become homosexuals. Thirty years from now, a "morally" acceptable relationship might well be between individuals of the same sex! Then we will have no discussions like this, won't we? ;)

careful now...if this thread becomes too heated it will be closed to avoid conflict..just remeber to respect everyone's beliefs no matter how absurd you may think they are
everyone has the right to say what they want as long as it isn't offensive to others (though some previous posts can be seen as offensive to a person whom is gay)
just try to watch what you say from now on so we keep this discussion going...

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next » 189 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.