Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 same-sex marriage? - Minitokyo

same-sex marriage?

page 2 of 8 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next » 189 total items

This thread is exactly what's wrong with politics in the U.S. The conservatives and liberals constantly bickering back and forth and no one getting anything done. The conservatives start hiding behind religion and the liberals start spewing social ideals that are a little to advanced for the average citizen with neither side wanting to compromise. It dosen't matter if it's Gay Marriage, Stem Cell Research, or even Civil Rights. You can't force something like this down the throats of people unwilling to accept it. You have to give people time to process this stuff and take your victories where you can when you can. You have to get the ball rolling somewhere and work from there. It all can't be done in one fell swoop. Look at the Civil Rights Movement. It took decades and unfortunately far too many martyrs to get where we are now and we still aren't close to where we are MEANT to be.

Tengu

Tengu

Fine... I'll do it...

Since most of the people here are christians I guess you should have at least one Bible in your bookshelf. Now if possible you should check out right away "The Letter of Paul to Romans" part 1:24. Since most of the Bibles should be almost identical this should be the right part. You should be able to find your answers there. If not, then I guess I own some sort of "gay hater" Bible or something...

And for those who don't give a shit about religions... Let's think about same-sex marriage in nature's way. One should not marry anything he/she can't have kids with. And I mean having kids in natural way. No adoption or artificial insemination allowed.

AND gay sex is gross... Sorry. I had to say it.

Day by day life goes by and before you know it you have grown old...

Look I really don't care one way or another about this issue but the way I see things this could potentially lead to another yet dark chapter in the history of this young country. I think it would be best for all of us to just find a damn compromise and move on for now before some of this s**t gets out of hand. We already have like nine or ten states banning Gay Marriages and they're seeking a Constitutional Amendment. This can only lead to trouble damnit.

ocelotisun

ocelotisun

SpiritedAway

Quote by YakuruA marriage is between two people, it should up to those two people and
nobody else to decide what is right for their own future. Life,
liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

I couldn't say better, Yakuru... :)

Quote by Rebel428
You misunderstood my first point - single-sex couples cannot have a
family other than through adoption. However, the option of adoption
does not change the fact that single-sex marriages are not the natural
means of procreation. It is also extremely important for children to
have both a mother and a father in their life, as both sexes each have
important, unique contributions to parenting; in a same-sex pair, one
will always be missing. The effects on a child with two parents of the
same sex are similar to the effects of a child raised by a single
parent - increased tendencies toward delinquency, alcohol, and so
forth.

It's like say that only children raised by single parents or homosexuals are the only ones who have problems with alcohol and delinquency when we all know it's not the truth... So how do you explain that a lot of people who have problems come from wealth homes with *both* parents?... ~_~

Quote by Rebel428
Tell that to all the children of divorced parents. What you said is
partially correct - marriage throughout history, religious or
otherwise, has been a bond signifying commitment that comes with
financial benefits. You failed, however, to mention what is the most
important element of marriage - the raising of children; without this
purpose, there is no practical reason for marriage at all.
Homosexuality is contrary to this objective for reasons I have stated
earlier.

So it means that if someone doesn't pretends to have children... that's no point in marrying ?... ~_~ ... I'm sorry but that for me just does not make sense... It's means that eldery couples cannot marry, people with physical problems who can't have children cannot marry...

Quote by destati"A man and a woman in a committed
relationship can marry. Dogs, no
matter what their relationship is, cannot marry. How should society
treat gays and lesbians in committed relationships? As humans or as
dogs?"

Quote by Ayamaelwoah, now that is a comparison i wouldn't have even dared thinking
about. It's shocking, yet it says it all...

... I don't see why people have such a problem with this subject... they are people and like everyone else they have the right to make they choices and be happy... Eveyone says 'God is against it'... It's not a matter of religion... not everyone has the same religion... it's a matter of equal rights...

...My mother always says to me that before we say or do something to another person, that we should put ourselves in that person's shoes... Would anyone here like to be prohibited of finding their happiness just because some pleople are against it? :hmpf:

Well that's my two cents... :D ... Cya you later guys...

XavierCrow

From Angel to Vigilante

Quote by Rebel428

Quote by XavierCrowIt's just marriage.

Tell that to all the children of divorced parents. What you said is
partially correct - marriage throughout history, religious or
otherwise, has been a bond signifying commitment that comes with
financial benefits. You failed, however, to mention what is the most
important element of marriage - the raising of children; without this
purpose, there is no practical reason for marriage at all.
Homosexuality is contrary to this objective for reasons I have stated
earlier.

Erm... my apologies Rebel428. The debate about the raising of children had already been made and I thought it pointless to repeat another's argument, but okay. I don't believe that the soul purpose of marriage is to raise children. The soul purpose (in my oppion). Many people choose not to get married. Many people choose to have children without, or before marriage, without any consequences to their metality or emotional stability. Nuturing has nothing to do with gender in reality. I'm a male, but I want children more than most of the females I know. If I were homosexual, that wouldn't change. Children don't need a marriage in order to have a functional family, just love and safety.

In the end, all there is, is what exists and what we believe or perceive is true... and there's no distinctions between the two.
- Myself

belmikry

Retired Moderator

belmikry

belly-button

Quote: Quote by XavierCrow:

It's just marriage.

Quote: Tell that to all the children of divorced parents.

i'm a child from divorced parents- and yes, it isJUST marriage. for a society with a 50% divorce rate, you must start wondering if marriage nowadays can be as 'sacred' as you suggest, irregardless to being with man-woman relationships or same sex. Raising children is not themost important part of a marriage, if so- many couple would be shooting out children like its the apocolypse. o_0 ... not every couple has the same values of marriage- some may be together for convenience/foundation [in which has gone for centuries- woman's dowrys, etc] for love [in which all marriages should have-yet many do not, hense divorces] and many other reasons which are a part of this bond. Now, before someone starts picking out my views and debating with me, remember that an opinion is an opinion. I'm not trying to convert you into accepting same sex marriages. I'm here, typing out an excessive view, so you may read it, agree or disagree- and possibly get an understanding as to why some peopple agree with same sex marriages, and some do not/

first of all, homosexuality is not taught, enforced or a hobby. You become homosexual because you are, not because you want to. Have you stop to wonder if these people would probably want to convert so they didn't have so much pressure? you cannot force someone to love/be attracted to something they aren't attracted to- we wouldn't ask you to, so out of human compassion/understanding, we should not for them as well.

secondly, thi whole 'sacred' marriage thing does not apply anymore to our m,odern culture, irregardless to same sex r heterosexual couples... why? sure: there are still many christians in this world, but many heterosexual couples are not religious, and get married by judges, authority figures etc- so therefore my statement is that same sex marriages do not have to be accepted by the church- they can be married through a judge etc like every other couple. Is this a monsterous thing? not at all- no one complains when heterosexual couples are married by a judge, but when same sex comes along, why do we object? I dont understand.

thirdly, heterosexual and same sex couples can and should adopt. With our already enormously overpopulated world, we should embrace anyone who wishes to adopt, instead of procreate, adding to the count. I believe adoption is a noble thing, something I wish to do one day as well. A child does not need a strong male and female role model- there are many single parents whonutrue their children perfectly fine- adding another mother or father does not impure the child with homosexuality- it allows the child to become accepting, where most children are told it is wrong.

The world is changing- and I do not see why it is for the bad, when homosexuality is concerned. In this day, if someone can be happy- LET them.

Signature
Anime wallpaper/Female Scans/Group Scans Moderator
-
rippers and duplicates beware of belly's button! XD [ermmm... o_o]

First,
...before I answer this question I need to state the following. People who say they are homosexual, still need to be loved and respected just has much as our heterosexual friends & family. However, I do not condone the act of homosexuality; just as much as I don't condone the act of mistreating and "hating" a person who calls themselves homosexual. In summary, love the sinner, hate the sin.

Do I believe in same-sex marriage, no.
And sorry to burst anyone's bubble here, but neither does 99.9% of followers of the world's five major relgion's: Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism. http://www.marriagewatch.org/publications/religions.htm *1 Sure, some people in all of the relgions do support same-sex marriages, and believe "their" religion supports it, but that only makes up 0.1%. I hope this dissolves any "christian, bible-bashing" homosexuals that say the bible states God hates homosexuals, therefore christians are evil and hateful towards homosexuals. ...yes, the bible may say that, but there is much more to it than that, only which a trained theologian/historian can properly answer and not your everyday wet-noodle, in-it-for-the-money protestant pastor. The are extremist everywhere in every category imaginable, but christians taught to hate no one.

Why.
To sum it up, I believe in anyhting that promotes and preserves life. Likewise I'm against anything that destroyes life. I believe this is where YHWH (God) is at too. Heterosexual marriage, family, promotes and produces life. Homosexual activity, sex, living together "like" a married couple, destorys life. Hating homosexuals, as people, destorys life. Caring, respecting, forgiving, and helping homosexuals promotes life.

Same-sex marriage = discrimition
Homosexuals are arguing that heterosexuals are discriminating their rights. I'd argue reverse discrimintaion. In my view, same-sex marriages are stating that families do not NEED a mother and a father. There are values that children, boys and girls, need to obtain from both adult sexes in order to grow into a healthy state of adulthood. There is an example of this dealing with fatherless children. "Many people believe that fatherlessness is related to delinquency and violence, and the weight of research evidence supports this belief." - http://mensightmagazine.com/Articles/Popenoe/nofathers.htm *2

Legalized Same-sex marriages DOES destory actual marriage
Homosexuals for legalized marriage argue that it won't hurt exisiting marriage, but strength it. But that has been tried in other countries and has failed. http://www.wf-f.org/JFH-Scandanavian.html *3 It is creating an "uncaring" belief on marriage and therefore people don't care about getting married, nor do they stay together creating a domino effect of - fatherless children. Do we need more of that in our country?

Gay rights vs. Marriage
What's really the issue. This - http://www.massequality.org/hot_the_truth.php *4 Rights that are entitled to married couples, and only married couples. That's where the fight is steming, but from opposite ends of the spectrum. Those who are against same-sex marraige want to preserve the tradition of marraige. I agree with that. Those that want same-sex marriage are really fighting for acceptance and equal rights associated in the link above. I agree with that too. However, a note to same-sex supporters, marriage is not the way. Although I agree that some of the legal items listed in the above link should somehow be extended to include same-sex couples, they will need to find a different legal way around this issue and not through the entitlement of "marriage."

----------------

*1 - I have this site at another source before. Before bashing this as another "site" and anybody can say anything, take note at section viii. "Notes" and observe the 70+ sites of reference.

*2 - This is one source, but there are numerous sources out there on this subject that support the same conclusion.

*3 - This is one source, but there are numerous sources out there on this subject that support the same conclusion.

*4 - There are many sites that list these same rights.

"May the aquisition of wealth no longer be your driving force." - freshblueO2

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish." - Mother Teresa

its seems many of you don't believe same-sex marriage is alright..
what if they created a new form of partnership for homosexual couples then..
same financial benifits of marraige except no holy/religious ceremony or vows
of course thats just a board view of it and it would have to have lots of boundries and regulations on it
but if it was created to be totally separate from religion..would you still have a problem with it?
as for those who claim to be pro-life..preserving life and creating life are very different..
it is true..homosexual couples cannot create life but many heterosexual couples aren't doing much to help preserve it anyways..
our population is constantly growing...so there will always be heterosexual couples...and with
a growing population that means resources are going to be consumed...in the end creating more life is going to have an adverse affect on preserving life in the long run..
im not trying to change any minds or make any suggestions of any sorts..im just stating what i see is going on...but heck..what do i know..im only a 16 yr old teenager...

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

Drak

Drak

Dragon Child

'Marriage is a sacred thing beetween man and women'?
What kind of dump argument that supposed to be?
'God created man and women for reason'?
And what if he would create Adam and then not only Eve but some other guy as well? How do you know that Adam wouldn't prefer that guy?
I don't mean to insult anybody here, but as far as I see, all those who are against same-sex marriages in this thread (or at least most of them), say that it's not a 'christian way'. And wasn't it one of the Gods lesson to respect all people who were diffrent?
If homosexuals want go get married with each other it's their choice and their choice only!
I'm a christian too and I say that if two people love each other, they should have the opportunity to get married, no matter if they are the same-sex or not.

Once again, sorry if I insulted anyone with this reply.

'This is the story about dragons, magic and people dreams' - Dragonblood.
Current chapter: 12

Mordin

Mordin

The Wise One

I don't understand why people have to relate marriage to religion. They shouldn't have anything to do with each other. Religion is a faith that people believe to understand their world, marriage is just a contract between two people in society decided to joined together. Religion shouldn't have anything to do with that. People need to understand that marriage is a social and finicial decision that people weight in when they get married, so please don't bring morality or your values into it. It is just like going into a business parntership together if you wanted me to put it coldly.

Now another thing is that why do most of you have such romance view of what a marriage is, the divorce rate is all time high, and I don't wish people hold their fairytale view of what a marriage is then use it to judge how other people should join together. Now marriage is an institution, no doubt about that, but it should be a private institution, so individual should decide whether they want to be in that institutiton. I just don't get why society get all work up about same sex marriage, because they do pay taxes, and they won't eat you contrary to what some of the conservatives believe, so they shouldn't be a second class citizen because they don't conform to the society's religious standard. If it offends you, get over it, Christian Right offends me too, you don't see me go around and proclaim them unnatural and degenerated people. ;) Most of us are in a democracy, if we can tolerate Britney Spears, I think we can tolerate same sex marriage. :)

Signature
Thank you einna for the siggy :)

destati

Yuusha-Oh

Quote by freshBlueO2And sorry to burst anyone's bubble here, but neither does 99.9% of followers of the world's five major relgion's: Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism.

The method that they're using is very, very flawed. What they do is extrapolate the position of the central organization to every member of the religion. It's not representative at all. I have Catholic friends who support gay marriage. I have Christian friends who support gay marriage. I have Jewish friends who support gay marriage. My grandparents are Buddhist, and they support gay marraige. There goes that argument.

Basically, that reasoning leads to this: I am Chinese, and I support gay marriage. I have Indian, American, Korean, Caucasian, and African friends who support gay marriage. Therefore, by extrapolating those views, I conclude that all Asians, Europeans, Russians, Americans, Indians, and Africans support gay marriage. My conclusion is that 91.5% of the world's population supports gay marriage.

And, finally: http://www.pollingreport.com/civil.htm

As you can see, fully 53% of Americans (MoE of 3) support some kind of legal recognition of gay marriage, whether that is through civil unions (28%) or through full marriage itself (25%). Last I checked, the US was about 80% self professed Christian.

Quote by freshBlueO2Homosexuals for legalized marriage argue that it won't hurt exisiting marriage, but strength it. But that has been tried in other countries and has failed. http://www.wf-f.org/JFH-Scandanavian.html *3 It is creating an "uncaring" belief on marriage and therefore people don't care about getting married, nor do they stay together creating a domino effect of - fatherless children. Do we need more of that in our country?

I'd like to see the actual Kurtz article he's referring to, and find it rather suspicious that he doesn't link to or host it. Nevertheless, he makes a lot of claims about the statistics being misleading...and then goes on to cite statistics to prove his point. Furthermore, the things he claims are the signs of weakening marriage are already present in the United States - people get married with no intention of having children (the horror!), the rate of teen pregnancy and out-of-wedlock birth is high, and the divorce rate is through the roof.

Quote by freshBlueO2What's really the issue. This - http://www.massequality.org/hot_the_truth.php *4 Rights that are entitled to married couples, and only married couples. That's where the fight is steming, but from opposite ends of the spectrum. Those who are against same-sex marraige want to preserve the tradition of marraige. I agree with that. Those that want same-sex marriage are really fighting for acceptance and equal rights associated in the link above. I agree with that too. However, a note to same-sex supporters, marriage is not the way. Although I agree that some of the legal items listed in the above link should somehow be extended to include same-sex couples, they will need to find a different legal way around this issue and not through the entitlement of "marriage."

Well, I agree with you on this one. If 'marriage' is such a sacred term, then call it something else. Extend the benefits of civil unions. Make up a whole new word for it. It doesn't matter, so long as homosexual people have the same opportunity as heterosexual people.

kimifox

kimifox

dysfunctional idealist

Here's my two cents. It's just my opinion.

Marriage as defined by the State is a legal contract. It has the effect of joining the lives of two people by linking their finances, and also by allowing married people rights such as inheritance, hospital visitation, and the ability to make tough decisions such as "should your spouse who is in a coma be removed from life support." (I don't want to start a tangent about the life support thing - it's just an example.) To put it bluntly, life as defined by the legal systems of most countries doesn't have a thing to do with religion.

Spiritual influences can help people believe that they should or should not marry, the legal system defines what happens if you do.

I think that homosexuals should be allowed to marry in the eyes of the legal system. How or if they marry in the eyes of God (gods), is up to them. Religion is a choice. Laws are not a choice. In this case, I don't think that a law should be created to take away a choice just so that other people can feel that the world is going according to their interpretation of God's will.

As far as the argument that homosexual people are ruining society ...
What is it exactly that's "ruined" about society? I presume that we all agree that society has issues, but the question is what's causing the issues.

In my opinion, the ruin stems from people insisting upon forcing their ideas upon others. Our planet has suffered an uncountable number of religious wars, but I can't think of a single war that occured because gay people went nuts and started killing all of the heteros.

(And people will always have babies. I wouldn't worry too much about that. ;) )

Signature
[url="http://groups.minitokyo.net/forcefirefox/"]Force Firefox[/url] The Fox Loves You. Love the Fox.
[url="http://groups.minitokyo.net/order-of-reason/"]Order-of-Reason[/url]

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Personally I'm for same gender unions (marriges or what ever you want to call them). I don't see it as destructive towards life. Darn it, it's hard enough for hetrosexual individuals (like myself) to find someone else who isn't taken that we're compatible.

Isn't it a social need to belong, to find companionship? I don't see gays/lesbians as destructive to life either. Their commitments and bonds to each other tend to be stronger than those of traditional married people.

And I think the Church is a bit hypocritical abou the whole thing. Having only Male Priests. saying only Men can be bound to God? It's not a sexual relationship, spritiual and intellectual. And for many same sex relationships, that's the driving force, Spiritual and Intelectual connections. So if same sex people can't get married, I don't think men should be priests. It's the same thing in my eyes.

Look this issue dosen't really have anything to do with religion. This is essentially just society's views on homosexuality and if they should be given the same financial and legal opportunities heterosexuals are. And even though one side is the majority it dosen't make them right lest we forget the mistakes of past generations. Again I say "I don't really care either way". But if people that support this want to make any ground and those against it don't want to look like nazis they have to make some sort compromise rather than having one side passing laws and such against the other's way of life.

Quote by MordinI don't understand why people have to relate marriage to religion. They shouldn't have anything to do with each other. Religion is a faith that people believe to understand their world, marriage is just a contract between two people in society decided to joined together. Religion shouldn't have anything to do with that. People need to understand that marriage is a social and finicial decision that people weight in when they get married, so please don't bring morality or your values into it. It is just like going into a business parntership together if you wanted me to put it coldly.
Now another thing is that why do most of you have such romance view of what a marriage is, the divorce rate is all time high, and I don't wish people hold their fairytale view of what a marriage is then use it to judge how other people should join together. Now marriage is an institution, no doubt about that, but it should be a private institution, so individual should decide whether they want to be in that institutiton. I just don't get why society get all work up about same sex marriage, because they do pay taxes, and they won't eat you contrary to what some of the conservatives believe, so they shouldn't be a second class citizen because they don't conform to the society's religious standard. If it offends you, get over it, Christian Right offends me too, you don't see me go around and proclaim them unnatural and degenerated people. ;) Most of us are in a democracy, if we can tolerate Britney Spears, I think we can tolerate same sex marriage. :)

I know what you mean mordin :( but that how some people are
they only see things as right and wrong. Black and white.
Some people foolish fate in they god tell them what is right and wrong but they never question the answer they were given. Without freedom and justice what do you see then ?
all the answer to your question could never be answer but know :\

i think it should be allowed... i mean... it's not like they are disturbing anyone for me... lol! and there have already been a few same-sex marriages in France.. of course, there has been some yelling, but in time it won't sound wierd... and there were already same-sex lovers at the time of the Greek and Roman in the antiquity... and it wasn't at all rare... ^^

GintheTwilightswords

GintheTwilightswords

Burn away the regret and dread.

A person is able to date and marry whomever they choose, no matter what race or gender that person may be. The gov't or anyone else has no right to try and meddle in anyone's love affairs just because it's something they wouldn't do. People have to be tolerant and accepting of others, even if they do have alittle hostile towards others.Besides, you can't tell someone who they can or can't married, it's their choice and no one elses, and above all it's their happiness and love for that person that they choose to be with, and they shouldn't have to sacrfice it to pleased anybody.

Signature Image
Dear sister you shall always hold a place in my heart

SamuraiHaruko

SamuraiHaruko

Butterfly

hey I'm all for it! Love is Love. you cant chane the way you feel about some one. Life odd some times but you have to go with it. I support same sex marriages i see no problem in that it's just sum ppl are afraid of change, and these ppl need to get use to it. There's nothing you can do when it comes to love.

Magically Delicious, yo.

Quote by destatiThe method that they're using is very, very flawed. What they do is extrapolate the position of the central organization to every member of the religion. It's not representative at all. I have Catholic friends who support gay marriage. I have Christian friends who support gay marriage. I have Jewish friends who support gay marriage. My
grandparents are Buddhist, and they support gay marraige. There goes that argument.
Basically, that reasoning leads to this: I am Chinese, and I support gay marriage. I have Indian, American, Korean, Caucasian, and African friends who support gay marriage. Therefore, by extrapolating those views, I conclude that all Asians, Europeans, Russians, Americans, Indians, and Africans support gay marriage. My conclusion is that 91.5% of the world's population supports gay marriage.

No offense, but you seriously got to be joking me.

First, your going to base your percentage on what you precieve what you assume to be, and not base it on multiple sources of hard eveidence?

Second, as stated in the article I linked too, which I say again sites over 70 hard sources of reference, (compared to some close friend and family you know) there are people within all the relgious beliefs that believe in same-sex marriage, but this make up less than %2 of the actual world view.

Third, I would ask your Catholic, Christian and Jewish friend to "prove" to you, not all of us but to you, that what they believe IS a standard and common belief supported by thier teachings, becuase I know for a fact it is not.

Quote by destatiAnd, finally: http://www.pollingreport.com/civil.htm
As you can see, fully 53% of Americans (MoE of 3) support some kind of legal recognition of gay marriage, whether that is through civil unions (28%) or through full marriage itself (25%). Last I checked, the US was about 80% self professed Christian.

I commend you on doing your research (^_^). That's very good. However, being educated with honors in the field of Mathematics & Science, you'll forgive me if I say I don't hold polls done by the media statistically accurate. But don't let that discourage you. I would ask you to keep researching on the issue (^_^).

Quote by destati

Quote by freshBlueO2Homosexuals for legalized marriage argue that it won't hurt exisiting marriage, but strength it. But that has been tried in other countries and has failed. http://www.wf-f.org/JFH-Scandanavian.html *3 It is creating an "uncaring" belief on marriage and therefore people don't care about getting married, nor do they stay together creating a domino effect of - fatherless children. Do we need more of that in our country?

I'd like to see the actual Kurtz article he's referring to, and find it rather suspicious that he doesn't link to or host it. Nevertheless, he makes a lot of claims about the statistics being misleading...and then goes on to cite statistics to prove his point. Furthermore, the things he claims are the signs of weakening marriage are already
present in the United States - people get married with no intention of having children (the horror!), the rate of teen pregnancy and out-of-wedlock birth is high, and the divorce rate is through the roof.

Kudos again on the research ;) I can fully understand your note of confusion which seems he is "contradicting" his faith in statistics, but he's really not. In a nutshell, true statisatics is a 100% poll of all people. I think you know that's not possible. Therefore accuraccy all comes down sources. His source was stating that the poll shows a drop of divorces, but he comments that how can there be more divorces when no one is getting married in the first place? His proof of a skewed statistic. Teaching statistics is beyond the scope of this thread, so I'd encourage you to take a class to understand this. However, despite all of this, I commented that there are other sites of referenece out there talking about this issue and comming to identical conclusions. I just picked one so don't fill up the thread with multiple sites stating the same thing.

To comment on the additional concerns, yes there are issues like this all over the world, but not to the degree it's happening there.

"May the aquisition of wealth no longer be your driving force." - freshblueO2

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish." - Mother Teresa

asianphish

asianphish

The Azn Invazn

Wow... there are some really intelligent people arguing both sides of this fence. Kudos to Ayamael for starting an excellent thread here. As for my 2 cents, I'd like to look at this through a slightly different glass, since many other examples have been given already. Other countries aside, (sorry to all my foreign friends) America is a country that was founded on the idea of freedoms. We've had some definite speedbumps along the way, but getting down to the nitty gritty, even though America's ideals were based on a Christian foundation, they've allowed for freedom of religion and freedom of pretty much everything else as well. So lets say that we have a Muslim and a Christian who fall in love and get married (man and woman). They honestly love each other and are able to put there religious differences aside because they respect each other enough to live with different beliefs... Now I'm guessing that some people in both of their families would rail against the idea of this because they have both just married into a religion that while similar has several fundamental differences. Now lets just say that the guy happens to be sterile... so they adopt. Their now adopted baby, living in America can choose whatever religion he wants, and may even be a little confused due to the conflicting nature of his parents, but in the end, the child's own religion is his own choice, regardless of his upbringing... its about his freedom of will... and thats what I think we all are missing in this argument.
My two cents.

New & Confused ^_^'
A "ban ban" banana in Baghdad

some of us ARE doing something about this! i was a face in the crowd of protesters across the bay in Frisco awhile back...hontestly, i dont care how many people are For or Against gay marriage...i care about what is right...back in the times of the civil war, the only people who were pro civil rights were black(meaning more people THEN were against it...but as time went on, more and more people were for it)....catch my drift? people FEAR change! so they brainwash their children to FEAR change.....whatev, my main reasons for being for gay marriage and rights are the legal benefits that marriage entails, and the fact that people LIKE to be treated the same as everyone else....most of my friends are gay(yeah,i'm a Hag, i kno) and where i live, people arent so uptight about it,religious or not.....why do sum folks care so much about what gay folks wanna do? i know what my homeboi Robert would say to that "Those kinda folks are just in the closet, girl"
XP LOL

AngelKate

AngelKate

~*Lady Sweetness*~

Wow I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet. :o

Anyway, I believe that homosexuals should have the right to marry. Love is love, and no one should be able to take that right away. I know there are those of you that argue that God meant for marriage to be between a man and a woman. But, God loves all people does he not? I really don't think God will banish you to Hell for being a homosexual. If you love someone and want to be together, then who are we to tell you that you can't? Just because it's two men or two women should make no difference. All they want is to have the same rights as everyone else. This is America right?? Land of the free? Well if two homosexuals don't have the right to marry, then that isn't very free now is it?

I usually say, "Look at it from the other side." Hypothetially speaking, if you were a homosexual, would you not want the right to marry the partner you choose?

That's my two cents. Feel free to debate, argue, and tear this post apart. I've stated my opinion and I'm not changing it.

Signature
Not really walling much anymore D: Feel free to browse my gallery, though!
Thank you for the siggy and avy, Kitten! ^_^

this is no different from any other major cases of discrimination in the past. should women be able to vote? should blacks have the same rights as white folks? should interracial marriage be legal? leave it up to the southern baptist rednecks to decide that whether or not gays are marrying, is a top priority issue in the country. protect the sanctity of marriage? what sanctity? the divorce rate is about 50% in america right now. there are drive through chapels(or something similar) in las vegas. and i'm supposed to believe they consider marriage sacred? where's the widespread outcry against those issues? the only thing they're protecting is their own intolerant, bigoted views.

If I had a dollar for every time I had a dollar, I'd have all the dollars.

I support it completely. I mean, they're human too, and if you love a person, then who's to say that you can't spend the rest of your lives together? I'm personally straight, but I know a couple people who are bi, and they're some of the nicest people I know. A little change is what society needs- our views are too narrow! Besides, change brought revolution, which brought new technology and the rights that we have now!

page 2 of 8 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next » 189 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.