Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Anime-mircx busted - Minitokyo

Anime-mircx busted

page 2 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 100 total items

Quote by kdog64 Anyways, companies like ADV, funimation, geneon, etc are willing to spend a lot of money for the rights to shows that might never take off. If it wasn't for american licensing, some anime's might have never been made. The japanese companies make money off of us buying the dvds too.

That's a very much misassumption.

First, Most of the shows that end up being licenced do so beacuse of the popular fan base that has grown around them here.

Secondly by the time most shows are licenced by american companys, they've already finished and the fact they were licenced by American companies has absolutly no effect on the producers of the show. A little extra money for licencing fees, but thats rather inconsquencial.

Anime is made to appease and entertain its target audiance, the Japanese. We benefit simply because it's well enough made to entertain some of us as well, though rarely that includes the american population at large. Some shows can non localized enough to be enjoyed by the main stream, but for the most part anime is appeals primarily to a niche group. Prices are so high in some places because the target market is small. To make up the price of both the licence and the costs involved in production and translation with this small purchasing base, the companies have to charge a lot per DVD.

Forgive my poor spelling, it's early.

*stands up and Applauds xtrapwr!*

You go!

"I shall call him 'Squishy,' and he shall be mine, and he shall be my Squishy." - [Dory (Ellen DeGeneres) from Finding Nemo]

sammo

Retired Moderator

sammo

Retired Moderator

mmm...i guess i'll have to venture into the dark depths on mIRC when i get my internet back xD

SpideI2_man

awesomesauce

ADV has just forced about 2 dozen anime sites to either shut down or pull all the licenced anime from their databased effective as of Wednesday. Failure to comply within 72 hours and they sue you. They're also going to be going after individual end users who are seeding anything licenced by ADV." my roomie told me about this.

I was wondering why I couldn't get onto anime.mircx.com, turns out that ADV is the likely reason why. I'm curious as to what the MT community has to say about this.

SpiDeY

anime.mircx why did they have to get you!?!?!?

FallenAngel

FallenAngel

dead 12/28/08

I'm still surprised it took a company this long to do this. I knew this going to happen eventually.

Quote by kdog64 If it wasn't for american licensing, some anime's might have never been made. The japanese companies make money off of us buying the dvds too.

Where on -earth- did you get a concept like that? You can literally count the number of anime (the plural of which is -not- "animes") produced 'because of us' on one hand. The creators of anime rarely give their non-Japanese audience a spare thought. As Xtra said, Japan is their target audience, we are but a fringe benefit bringing in a tiny amount of revenue for the companies anime is licensed from.
Do some reasearch on it [not fansites, try financial sites, newspapers/news magazines, etc]. The companies that actually hurt when people download the shows are the American companies who buy the licenses. And even then, they aren't terribly hurt until people rip the domestic DVDs and release them for download. I can't see a compelling argument for stopped releasing/downloading fansubbed eps of a show not yet released [besides threats to sue =P] - it can only stir more interest in the show, and that can only benefit the company.

Signature
my guy: my life would be complete with rapid weight loss and larger breasts.
me: boobs on a stick! boobs on a stick!

is anime.mircx.com going to be back up or is it gone now?

raging_otter

Not In

i think it should be up soon
it wont disappear easily...
the worse thing that can happen is that we have to wait for a month before mircx reopens... cross our fingers

Zenislev

Zenislev

Let's roll like it's 1999!

Man.. F adv and their stupid lawyers, theyr'e all stupid mony grabbing monsters like RIAA and all those pansies thinking their profits will go up if they piss me off by doing things like this. They should all learn that they can't do anything to stop the runaway freight train called piracy, the only reason liscence holders do crap like this is because theyr'e stupid, that's the reason anyone does anything.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kinda scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad." - Jack Handy

"If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is, 'God is crying.' And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is, 'Probably because of something you did." - Jack Handy

darkzlevin

darkzlevin

Are We Who We Seem?

dat sux =( s2 anime mircx

SUPPORT MINITOKYO BY JOINING THEIR MIRC CHANNEL
#minitokyo @ irc.rizon.net

Signature

Quote by ZenislevMan.. F adv and their stupid lawyers, theyr'e all stupid mony grabbing monsters like RIAA and all those pansies thinking their profits will go up if they piss me off by doing things like this. They should all learn that they can't do anything to stop the runaway freight train called piracy, the only reason liscence holders do crap like this is because theyr'e stupid, that's the reason anyone does anything.

Punctuation wouldn't harm your cause there.
If you're really angry, it might behoove us to send letters [or emails] to the company NICELY AND COHERENTLY [read: punctuation and no name calling] explaining why we feel that what they did wasn't in the best interest of their profit-margin. Ranting and name-calling, while stress-relieving, won't get anything done. Explaining that while you had been a good consumer of their company before, you will now think twice before buying anything they release because of their actions will get their attention, though. Especially if the number of people who say this is significant.

Signature
my guy: my life would be complete with rapid weight loss and larger breasts.
me: boobs on a stick! boobs on a stick!

iht

i like anime.mircx.com cause it had some things including MP3s and stuff.

baka-updates is alright but anime.mircx is better ^_^

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

This is going to suck as there is no way in hell I'm going to purchase DVDs from 4Kids.....

I get really sick of people calling american companies greedy for actually charging for a product that costs them money to produce.

Signature

Caiobrz

Caiobrz

Wispy

The momment I get a job and can live a good life, I'll certainly buy all my fav titles even some oldies. However until then I have no choice but to download. I already buy some Manga and OST's at amazon/amazon.co.jp, but anime no way, except, some times, on xmas or my birthday.

Meanwhile, there are so many other ways to download animes that anime.mircx or downloadanime been down didn't even slowed my leeching down =p Worst case scenario, you must visit each fansub channel every once in a while.

Also, I'm not american, so titles that are licensed on America are actually not illegal for me to download since here (Brazil) we have like no licensed whatsoever, only OLLLLD series, most up-to-date licensed anime here was Inuyasha.

Signature
Extensive quality reviews and some wall/scans, visit!
http://www.daisuki.com.br

well, the channels and people will just move to another server. Not much has changed

Quote by Caiobrz
Also, I'm not american, so titles that are licensed on America are actually not illegal for me to download since here (Brazil) we have like no licensed whatsoever, only OLLLLD series, most up-to-date licensed anime here was Inuyasha.

As long as your country has signed the Berne Convention it's illegal to download any kind of fansub whether it's been licensed or not. Even if your country hasn't signed the Berne Convention, it's still possible that other treaties could protect the authors from pirating. It's probably illegal nearly everyware

Signature

Kev

Retired Moderator

Hannibal

best would be moving to japan and expect chicks in traditional kimono to hug ya when watching anime XD~~~ (jokes)

anyway, the real thing is, no fansubs = no sales

if theres no promotion of fansubs, no one would be hooked to anime. would anyone spend their money buying anime? adults deem that as cartoon, to most families. if not of frens showing off free anime, would anyone even buy it? lol. besides, anime dvds are overpriced and they are more expensive than english stuffs.. wth?

so, if adv thinks by clearing all torrents, they would earn better? no way, their subbing and dubbing sux... ive got a kaleido star dvd, yes, its adv.. im buying it for the sake that i love that anime and their subs and dubs suck so badly, i couldnt bother to watch it again.

so, its not bad to phase out all torrents, just phased out licensed ones and its never wrong for other countries, outside of america to download them as well

FallenAngel

FallenAngel

dead 12/28/08

Quote by Kevanime dvds are overpriced and they are more expensive than english stuffs.. wth?

I'm not sure if you know this but the prices for anime in Japan are nearly double what we pay here and they only have about half the episode count that their american counterparts have. Some people in Japan actually import anime from us because it's cheaper.

Quote by Kevits never wrong for other countries, outside of america to download them as well

Did you even read my post?
Heres some information about the Berne Convention:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/treaties/berne/overview.html

And here's a list of countries that signed it.
http://www.adamsadams.co.za/home.asp?pid=59

Signature

Zenislev

Zenislev

Let's roll like it's 1999!

Yeah the bottom line is ADV = a bunch of big jerks, and I won't think otherwise unless the president of ADV personally comes to my doorstep and admits he's a big jerk AND hires better voice actors instead of recycling the same crappy ones over and over and over, what a jerk.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kinda scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad." - Jack Handy

"If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is, 'God is crying.' And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is, 'Probably because of something you did." - Jack Handy

Hey did anyone evey notice that they recycle jap voice actors over and over? might sound better, but im sure the job the voice actors have to do is hard.
I dont think that buying the dvds actually supports this "industry"... what industry. Who says that we ever wanted to buy dvds of anime, why not just have fansubs...(ok dont tell be about why fansubs even started, dont realy want to hear it...)

There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world. There is only necessity...

ShinjiIkari32

Bishoujo Aficionado

Quote by tele-fragd(Prices in Australian Dollars)

There's always people with them on DC.
It sucks though... Anime DVDs are sooooo much more expensive than normal live action ones and they don't even have nearly as much special features either =/ Average price here is like $34.95 each, rip-off if you ask me. I can get great live action movie DVDs for $20 and they've got plenty more special features...

Yeah, it's because distributors know that anime has the potential for very large profit in the US, and they also know that fanboys/girls will pay what they have to to see their favorite shows. That's how they can charge nearly twice as much for anime dvds and get away with it.
Also, as stated above somewhere, (I cant find the exact text ATM, so I cant quote) anime in Japan is far more expensive than here. I remember hearing somewhere that the japanese were being charged close to $60 per dvd when Evangelion was out.

Take a quote from any anime and replace a word vital to the sentence with "pants", for instant comedy..
"I am the answer to all who cry out for pants!"-Goku, DBZ
"Those pants were more than just armor! Unit 01 has broken free of the pants that bend it to our will!"-Ritsuko, Evangelion
"Unfamiliar pants.."-Shinji, Evangelion

dustin

dustin

Gem Stone

Quote by D-Eliteis anime.mircx.com going to be back up or is it gone now?

In my opinion, it's gone. irc.mircx.com quitted because maintaining the networkd caused more harm than good things. Same thing happened now.

page 2 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 100 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.