Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Would You Consider Chatting Publicly On The Internet Safe? - Minitokyo

Would You Consider Chatting Publicly On The Internet Safe?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 32 total items

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Over on the Internet, you'll notice and see a lot of free public chat rooms out there. Yahoo, MSN - the works. You name it.

Chatting to other people around the world can be a great tool to utilize, because you can contact with many other unique individuals you may have never even met before, and its quite obvious that the lines of communication is that much easier for many out there, and it can be pretty fun.

But there's a point when you consider you may encounter someone pretty dangerous or even a potential threat to others including yourself, specifically targeting mainly towards younger children - the stalkers, and the sorts.

To me, I would never want my younger cousin to be chatting with some stranger I hardly even know of right behind my back, and online. I trust her judgment indeed, but sometimes it just doesn't seem right to me. One day she may be having fun - the next day, she might wind up gone forever. That's why I keep everything anonymous, just to be safe.

So the question pretty much is this.

---------------------

Do you believe that the Internet Chatrooms are considered safe these days?
Have you had any bad experience chatting with some of these strangers before?
And would you ever decide to go there just to try it out, if you did have the free time?

As usual, you may bypass some of these questions here.

Thanks yet again for your comments, of course. lol - Peace out.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

i dun believe they're considered safe. u mite not kno wen something mite happenin em. i wouldn't stay relax wen chatting unless its really safe to.

diamarrr

diamarrr

Does it matter?

well interesting topic Claire......hmmm how do u say it....lets see........is this considered as 1????
lol....if u mean those like irc i think its a complete waste of time though .........well at times there are sick ppl out there i dont think the blame is on the chat rooms its the people....i mean there are stalkers,n etc out there so i guess they are using chatrooms to fish out new *prey* but i mean our instincts sometimes tells us whether that some1 is safe to know or not i mean u should be able to tell out others intentions *sometimes*......well cant say its safe ......but then again is the world safe??its the same as living our everyday life ......good people bad people.......its the individual not the chat rooms....bad experiences hmmm i dont waste too much time on chatting.....heck i hardly even SMS this place is different though spamming is fun =D.....i wont try it out...i mean im using msn messenger but 99% are my friends ...i dont really bother those unknown people unless i was introduced by a friend or sumthing.......i hate it when unknown people start adding me argh.....really annoying normally block em =D no 1 source of unknown ppl bugging friendster.com!!!!especially if u are a girl putting hot pictures of urself......pity -_- well its my point of view though not all ppl are bad.... depends really oops am i out of the topic here???sorry if i am =D

Well even it is safe you still could get grounded :)
Two of my friends love to chat and they would be cussing like every second :)
My friend's dad saw the F word in 48size and he got grounded for a week or something like that :)
I don't think it safe with people like me in them :)

CLAMPchic

CLAMPchic

I'm just me

I don't think that internet chatrooms are safe. You never know who's on the other side of the computer; people may lie about who they are, like an old man pretending to be a teenager or something. The blame kind of lays with the people, though; some people get really careless with how much information they give out, whether they mean to or not. I've never been in a general chatroom before, so I don't really know about that kind of thing; all I do know is those kinds of stories have made my parents untrusting/paranoid of AIM, which I do have and use. I've never had any bad experiences, but that's because this site is the closest I'll get to a chat site. And no, I would not go into an internet chatroom to try it out...I'd be in so much trouble if I did.

Signature
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been." ~ Anonymous

Ryan19

Ryan19

Return of ME

Ooooo...chat room lolz. Hmm...chatrooms in public is totally not safe. You might fallen into strangers' trap anytime anywhere. Just as even in just one day of every minutes that counts in.
The reason of teenagers/children getting cheated or regret mostly come from majority of youngsters or adults. The worst apart about chat room is getting people paralysed and harrased from media such as microphone/ other media that cannot be trusted. Benefits of it is quiet little.
Close friends/ best friends(classmates) can stay in touch by using messengers, which gives benefits of close contact throuh years as it passes.So u can make a friend gathering. That's the only best benefit of using messenger, other than that is totally not trusted and beware of public strangers.
Last but not least, the results of cases has been up-rise due to chatting in public cafe. Therefore, kids and teenagers get a real social life of communicating school friends or close friends. Because chat room just making you become low-esteem and being shy of talking to friends in real life. Take my advise or you will suffer through meeting people in real world.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

OracleAngel

Retired Moderator

OracleAngel

-... de lovbot-

Not to the one who is using it wisely like younger individuals and pre-teens who think that a certain stranger would be a possible friend...but you never know when someone you know and least suspect it would probably turn out to be something theyre not.... so i would say its a 50/50 chance that its safe and dangerous.

No...they add me, i dont add them and plus i dont talk much..... XD

And would you ever decide tp go there just to try it out, if you did have the free time?

Man if i was a desperate, hungry friendloving girl teen i would, but being a guy i would rather focus on better things except if i know you then thats not a problem.

dustin

dustin

Gem Stone

Chatting is safe - but if the person you are chatting with asks your name and address on something personal - dont give anything to himor if the other guy/girl you are chatting with is making sexual or rude suggestions - stop chatting imediately. That person isnt what he seems to be.

Chattin is safe, just be smart. Statistically you stand a better chance of getting into trouble at a club or bar than in a chatroom. >_>;; <_<;;

Signature Image

i dont bother going into them...i can find safer places to chat with and if you need to go to a chat room to find friends..maybe you should try and find some in real life XP
sure its fun having friends from around the world but you run the chance of running into pedos..x_x..plus you never really know who your talking too unless you know them personally or you've seen them before..irl or a pict that is.. anyways i wouldn't suggest going there because there are certain sites you can go to, to make friends and stuf...a chat room is too private of you identity..

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

Chizuku

Chizuku

"simply me..."

waa~! there are places im sure that is safe... and if i know that the place/site i am is rather unsafe then i wont make talk/chat with the people there... chatrooms are filled with different kinds of person... i agree to the first posts here... they're right... and you must never trust the person youre chatting with until you knew him/her better... ^^. before trusting stranger find out first what's their real intentions and the real them... ^_^
Jaa-ne~! XP :pacman: ;)

Periphery

The End

Depends on what you consider safe and not safe.. i think nothing can happen if everything is kept strictly to chatting, and no meetings or giving out of addresses or anything like that.

<3 Dark Mousy ! ^_^
Signature

AdventChild

AdventChild

Second Rate Ninja

Everything's a gamble, whether it's chatting online or driving on the interstate. The world we lived in is screwed up and it's a fact we have to live w/.

SHURIKEN SHURIKEN

Holt

Holt

pffft

I think it's safe as long as you're mature and you know that the real world and the internet is full of sick freaks and you also don't take anything said in chat rooms with strangers seriously.
It's obvious you don't go giving your address etc. to random people. That's just foolish.
For young, naive kids, the internet is quite unsafe because the world is full of nice people for all they know and they won't be able to tell when they're being tricked.

Signature Image

what an absurd question

Of course it is not safe. A lightening bolt would hit my cable line causing my computer to explode, causing me lasting emotional truma. Or I could be hit by an astroid sitting in front of my computer.

Quote: But there's a point when you consider you may encounter someone pretty dangerous or even a potential threat to others including yourself,

And no more of a threat than any other stranger that walks down the street.

Dangerous people on the internet can not harm you unless you are stupid enough to provide information and do other things that allows them to do so. Compared to "reality" where people can hurt you without needing any information, the internet is far safer. As long as one remembers that one doesn't really know people that well over the net, there is no threat.

The question should be: Are you stupid or paranoid?

Quote:
And would you ever decide to go there just to try it out, if you did have the free time?

1. absolutely
2. too many morons, and not enough Fserves... (mirc leecher here).
3. huh?

Seig Jion....Seig Jion

I would say they are basically safe, it just depends on the user and how well they are at judging people, most of the time you should be able to tell if someone's sorta freaky, and chatrooms are basically that, for chatting, when people want to meet they usually have been talking for a pretty long while, and have taking everything into account etc, it's been run through everyone's mine over and over, so we are sort of raised to know what's acceptable and what's not, but people are crazy and you can't have a full proof world..so i would say they are safe, but not to an extremist degree

Khriss

Khriss

is addicted to RO again. sigh.

well.
not safe if you tell either your..
full name
address
tel no.
ID

then yes, not safe.
bsides that...nahh.

kai81220

kai81220

anti Nobunaga

i might but i agree about not letting my younger siblings chat cause sometimes they don't really know how safe it is until something happens.

Signature

Mordin

Mordin

The Wise One

Well chatting over the internet is about as safe as you can get on these days. I think as long you understand that internet is like a vaccum where everything can be make up, then you will be fine.

Well personally I have been in those chatrooms back in 6 years ago, mostly AOL chatroom, the environment can be rough and fun at the same time, I met some of the most uncanny people you will ever see, one time a self proclaim 30 year old mom want to have a date with me. :D I just took chatroom like a grain of sand, don't take it too seriously, see it as what it is, a virtual fantasy. :) Since then, I had close to 4 years hiatus from the online world, only got back online December of last year, so you can imagine how much different things are for me :D and I don't know enough of the new stuff to comment on it.

Since I came back, I also found out that the online world is rule by teenagers now, us old timers are far and few in between. :D I was pretty hip and cool back in my days if you must know :nya: I guess my cool days ran out on me already :D now I am just some old geezer that is poking his noses in these more than he should. ^_^'

Signature
Thank you einna for the siggy :)

Iyasis

Iyasis

:: Crystal Winter ::

I've never been to an internet chatrooms before, so my opinions might be biased or uninformed ^^"

I don't think chatrooms are not as safe as people like to believe. Since they're usually all free and anyone can join, there can be all types of people there, both good and bad. No doubt, there are many nice, friendly, and genuinely good people, but there may also be stalkers, creeps, etc, whom may be masking their intentions behind the screen. But I guess as long as you maintain a certain level of awareness when chatting and never give out personal information that can be used to trace back to you, it's relatively safe. And if someone does ask for this type of information or just gives you a bad feeling, it'll probably be better to stop talking to them all together ~ as Dustin said, they aren't who they seem to be.

I don't think I would try out a chatroom, not now at least but maybe when I'm a little older. I guess I'm a bit overcautious and paranoid when it comes to these things @_@ But I'm here at MT, that's got to be some some progress, right? ^^

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

If you know the site you visit to meet friends is safe, then you should only chat with those friends. Otherwise, forget it. I'm against the whole concept of chatting with complete strangers. Of course, I mean none of you guys since I know you all.

Quote by IyasisI've never been to an internet chatrooms before, so my opinions might be biased or uninformed

It's not all that bad if you know who you are talking to. I chatted with 6 members from MT yesterday, and it was fun as hell. Give it a try later tonight, if you want. Of course your progress at MT is great.

Quote by MordinWell chatting over the internet is about as safe as you can get on these days. I think as long you understand that internet is like a vaccum where everything can be make up, then you will be fine.

I agree. We had a good conversation yesterday, right? I even made a new friend from MT.

Give it a chance, people. Hey, you might like the results. Then again, if you're anti-social, it could be a problem.

Let me stop rambling before someone busts me up. XP

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

sheesh. getting even on the first page of one of your threads must be really hard..
-lol- Well then I must say it is basically safe.. most of the time. but when you think about how dangerous some people can be it's..not so safe.
I mean some people can track your location when your on the chatrooms. Or if some people make the mistake of letting their adress out publicly they will most likely have somebody they don't know knocking on their door (or tearing it down) one day. I for one am not totally into the public chatting except to people I know or here on Mt.

And sadly a friend of mine has had an experience like that....She was chatting online with somebody and she made the mistake of giving him her adress..a few days later he came to her house when nobody was home (with the exception of her little 8 year old brother) and raped her. -_-' But luckily the 8 year old beat him with a metal bat (or did his best) and he left.

Signature

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

Quote by melmachine18We had a good conversation
yesterday, right? I even made a new friend from MT.
Give it a chance, people. Hey, you might like the results. Then again,
if you're anti-social, it could be a problem.
Let me stop rambling before someone busts me up. XP

need to get to level 50... T_T

hum, well, i've only been in chatrooms twice in my life, and it was actually my friend using my computer... so like Iyasis, my experience with those is quite limited...

i think, chatrooms are as safe as pretty much anything else in life... that is, not safe at all... i mean, you never know when you will be attacked on the streets and so on... either way, you have to learn how to be responsible... there are good and bad people everywhere, if you know at least that much and are careful, you can most likely avoid the risks...

bad experience chatting? when i was doing it with my friend, the guy we were talking with started getting in the urge to meet her (well, he thought he was talking to a single person) to have sex right away... :\ it didn,t help that we were in the same city as him -_- so we had a tough time getting rid of him... he insisted a lot... except for that... nothing really bad happened...

and chatrooms, maybe i'll go there someday... loll i had never done any forum's before Mt ...

YugureKaze

YugureKaze

The Lost Wanderer

i think that they can be pretty dangerous but if it is a chatroom made by you and you can control the people that can get in then it is safe

no i don't go into chatrooms unless i am invited my someone that i know

i probably would or wouldn't it would depend on if there was another way to keep myself awake

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 32 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.