Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Would You Consider Chatting Publicly On The Internet Safe? - Minitokyo

Would You Consider Chatting Publicly On The Internet Safe?

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 32 total items

nowhere is completely safe, however more safe then the outside world as long as you are smart and mature enough to exercise caution.

I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me.
-Gen George S. Patton

thelunarmage

thelunarmage

I'm getting too old for this...

Quote by MordinWell chatting over the internet is about as safe as you can get on these days. I think as long you understand that internet is like a vaccum where everything can be make up, then you will be fine.
Well personally I have been in those chatrooms back in 6 years ago, mostly AOL chatroom, the environment can be rough and fun at the same time, I met some of the most uncanny people you will ever see, one time a self proclaim 30 year old mom want to have a date with me. :D I just took chatroom like a grain of sand, don't take it too seriously, see it as what it is, a virtual fantasy. :) Since then, I had close to 4 years hiatus from the online world, only got back online December of last year, so you can imagine how much different things are for me :D and I don't know enough of the new stuff to comment on it.

Oh wise and mighty Mordin is spot on. I too think that chatting on the Net is as safe as anything else these days. The world is becoming a scarier place to live in. Everyone has to be careful to protect themselves whether in the real world or the online one. When I was young it used to be cool to leave your front door open so that the kid from next door who was invariably a mate could come over and play, nowadays those doors are locked for safety.

Quote by MordinSince I came back, I also found out that the online world is rule by teenagers now, us old timers are far and few in between. :D I was pretty hip and cool back in my days if you must know :nya: I guess my cool days ran out on me already :D now I am just some old geezer that is poking his noses in these more than he should. ^_^'

*lol* Old geezer! Oh wait. I'm an old geezer too :D

Phantom: You alone can make my song take flight! It's over now, the music of the night! - The Phantom of the Opera

Proud member of: Oldsters |MegatokyoFC | GameThreadSociety | Goddess-Fanclub | Dub-Lovers-Group | ChrnoCrusade | MT-Singles-Club | Minitokyo-Australia

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Good answers there. lol

The reason why I brought up this thread was because at our univeristy, we are actually having an ethical debate in Technology Class about this sort of topic - and I thought that by introducing this thread here, I could get some answers from an outside source, and I thank those who participate in it. Not many issues are absolutely obvious within a direct response and are considered rhetorical in a sense here - since there are many factors to consider, but I'm glad many of you people pitched in your opinions about it.

Statistically, 53% of the teens feel that the Internet Chat Rooms in specific is not a safe place, and 35% do with a +3/-3 error rating. The 12% are officially declared unknown / not available - according to the SCUA NET Nations Survey.

I've encountered friends and colleagues at school who tell me that the Internet Chat Rooms are safe than ever, but like Iyasis said, it depends on the room you go to here.

Then there is others who totally think that the Internet is completely dangerous as well.
I believe the ultimate solution is pretty much this one here, from my own experience.

I'll just quote off these two.

Quote by Khrisswell.
not safe if you tell either your..
full name
address
tel no.
ID

then yes, not safe.
bsides that...nahh.

lol - Giving out your personal information like your Full Name and your exact Location is definitely considered a no-no here. Aside from that - public Chat Rooms are indeed considered safe if you go around the right setting. I know some groups on Yahoo and MSN that can fall into this category over here.

Quote by kai81220i might but i agree about not letting my younger siblings chat cause
sometimes they don't really know how safe it is until something
happens.

Thanks for your input on this info. and glad to see you agreed. **Snickers** It's the age barrier as well. I would not want my young loved ones to be browsing around without my consent, of course.

Quote by NeoTerranowhere is completely safe, however more safe then the outside world as
long as you are smart and mature enough to exercise caution.

Some of my friends say the exact same thing over here. The outside world can be considered a dangerous place - but its all about the atmosphere and the setting.

Quote by narutofan92sheesh. getting even on the first page of one of your threads must be
really hard..-lol-

lol I slept all night and didn't bother looking over it, then it suddenly went to the second page and I was like WTBH? ROFL

And when did thelunarmage call Mordin the wise and almighty? **Snickers** I'm going to need more root beer after this one.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

Norimune

Norimune

Prince of Winter

uhmmm... interesting question... that's right.... there are some mean people waiting to hurt you in some way that crawl in the web looking for someone with low defenses... But I can protect you from them! just give me you credit card numbers, telephone numbers too... I'll keep them safe! Oh come on you can trust me *grabbing notepad* hehehehe...
*someone knocking at door* oh! no! those damm policemen again... they'll never catch me!
*trying to escape by introducing myself in the diskette slot* damm! I once saw this in Freakazoid! I was sure it would work! ok plan B... *disguise myself as sailor moon* (the most horrible sailor moon by the way) ok this is the plan... I'll pretend to do the transformaton an the police will have to stand still untill I finish (as sailor moon anemys seem to do when she does her transformation) and I'll escape using this oportunity hehe
*sound of the door cracking*
-Norimune! freeze! this is your last bad joke!-
-Ok here we go!- *twirling while holding a frying pan* for the power of the moon (y guess) and the hamburgers with red chili!
-Oh my god it's sailor moon! let's wait until she finishes and then we let her beat us with a single hit of her magic frying pan!-
-hehehe it's working! but I am feeling kinda dizzy... I want t stop!!! eeekkkk!
*pluf! tump! crash!!!*
-b-by the p-power of the little stars twirling around my head...-
-Ok Norimune we got you at last! come with us you... bad comediant!-
-damm! you haven't heard the last from me! I have my rights!!! you'll see tuxedo mask will come and set me free again!!!

^_^' XD ^_^' XD

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici." By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

belmikry

Retired Moderator

belmikry

belly-button

well it depends... technically THIS is a chat room, isn't it? when the net first came out, i used to go on chat lines, but things may have changed since 1996 :P
but, i think to chat online you must be super careful- not leaking out information, or spilling personal things to others, because you really dont know who is out there..

with that said, my mom met her husband in a chat room, as well as my sister.. so i can't say they are horrible... you just have to be careful, thats all ^_^

Signature
Anime wallpaper/Female Scans/Group Scans Moderator
-
rippers and duplicates beware of belly's button! XD [ermmm... o_o]

Well internet chat rooms are more or less safe. It's not like I have a bot set to go into chat rooms to spam my address and name. I should hope that most people are smart enough to know who they can and can't trust.

The only bad experiences I've had with chatting are with spamming, jerks, idiots, and otherwise rude people.

It's not like I'm going to meet someone I've just known on the internet either. If there was actually reason to meet someone, I might. Even then, I'd have to know the person for a fairly long time (filter out the unpersistent stalkers, haha) and would meet in a fairly public place. (let's say the entrance of a police station? heh)

P.S. I thought you (Celessa) left o_0

Ok, Internet chatting is a kind of communication way like telephone. I always use it (only MSN) on my work, but to the safty, :( , I do not think it is safe enough.
When you speake to other by telephone, you can judge his feeling and this words by his tone, but you can not distinguish which word is true. To the younger, please tell them take care of the chatting room and open their eyes larger to find which word is true.
Of course the chatting is like the love letter, Very fraudulent.:)

GintheTwilightswords

GintheTwilightswords

Burn away the regret and dread.

It pretty much depends on where you are chatting and just how secure those places are from morns trying to find easy pickings. Take MT for instance, I would say it's pretty ok , you don't run into too many weirdos (well, weirdos far weirder than the peope already here XP ) . Me, I don't like talking in chatrooms too much unless there are set by people within webgroups or communities, but it's still that risk of net stalkers showing up. You have to be cautious with who you speak with online and even what you reveal about yourself. As for me, this is pretty much who I am, I've no reson to lie about my persona.The people I talk to on a personal level I tell a good bit about myself, but only after I've gotten to know them well enough and I tell them not to lie to me about themselves upfront,because you can't be too sure.

Signature Image
Dear sister you shall always hold a place in my heart

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 32 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.