Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Fight or Flight? - Minitokyo

Fight or Flight?

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Tantaga

Tantaga

Will Eat Your Children

Once again in my overindulgence of thinking, I began wondering about how some people run from problems or dangers while others choose to stay and fight it out. I wondered if it depends more on the situation or more so of the person. I decided to post a thread to see how other people respond to find out more :) .

Generally, I am a combination of both. I try to negotiate with almost anything and try to resolve the issue for everyone - but if worse comes to worse I'll fight ... unless of course it is against odds that are far too great XD . There is a difference from being cowardly and intelligent, you know ;) .

As for my questions:

Do you feel the urge to fight or flight is based on the person or the situation?

In general, do tend to fight or run?

Signature Image

Davo

Davo

I'll kill you

on the situation of course :hmpf:

member of :[ecchi-club]

Signature Image
DAVO THE ECCHIMAKER :"If a demon stands in my way, I will cut him apart. If a saint stands in my way, I will cut him apart"

MadTeaParty

Madam

Situation determines everything. Generally, I try to retreat enough to figure things out before doing any fighting, else I'll end up doing something I may end up regretting.

XavierCrow

From Angel to Vigilante

Hmm... in most situations, I will not run... tends to get me in trouble from time to time, but I can't help it. If I'm in my own territory then I will fight regardless of the odds. If I'm somewhere I haven't been regularly, then I will try to avoid the situation. Mostly, with people, I choose to fight... life problems, such as money, school, etc... I tend to run.

In the end, all there is, is what exists and what we believe or perceive is true... and there's no distinctions between the two.
- Myself

ultimashower

ultimashower

Reppin' The Nice Guys

It's both. The whole flight or flight thing is relative to the person. So saying situation only is negating the fact that it affects people differently depending upon the individual.

As for me... I dunno... I enjoy living life without some conflicts.

HTML Coding Hates Me...

situation and person for me... sometimes at the same time sometimes not

ShiNN

ShiNN

O RLY?!

It really depends from the situation, though I tend to always solve problems (if possible of course) through dialogue and by negotiating, and so far it's always been the right choice since I've rarely (and I mean really rarely) had to use brute force.

WearyWanderer

WearyWanderer

~Title eh?~ *evil*

Depends on everything! Situation, like whether or not lots of people are looking. The person, whether or not he is big, strong, etc. Also whether or not the person is holding a weapon. If he is like a smaller guy that looks weak and has no weapons trying to kill me or something in an area where no one is looking, I'll proabably fight. But most of the time I would probably run. I don't like violence that much.

XavierCrow

From Angel to Vigilante

Just to refine what I said before, it does really depend on the situation. I thought the idea of the question was that you couldn't negotiate, but if the option is there, I will always use diplomacy... even after I get punched... and headbutted... lol, that was fun. Ah, I was in a fight. This group of about 50 people (not kidding... actually coulda been more) had it in for me and my friends. I stand out 'cause I wear a trench-coat, so this little punk told his older brother that I was calling him names, etc. The older brother decided to attack me. Punched me three times and headbutted me twice... I didn't fall down and it didn't hurt (which suprised me!) but I didn't hit back. A few days later the guy gave me a smoke and apologised, explaining he didn't know his brother was lying... sometimes it really pays off not to throw that punch.

In the end, all there is, is what exists and what we believe or perceive is true... and there's no distinctions between the two.
- Myself

sirhenry

The Other White Meat

Yeah, I would say that I would tend to negotiate, but I would fight if it came to it. I might get my butt kicked, but I would fight.

We are not judged by our intentions, but by the way in which others interpret our actions.

Iyasis

Iyasis

:: Crystal Winter ::

I first thought you meant would I rather have to ability to fight or fly, lol ^^

Anyway, I'm also a combination of both and the deciding factor really depends on the situation for me. Generally I try to work things out in a peaceful and non-violent way but if I have to fight, I will. In some situations it really is better to 'run' though, for example when your opponent has a weapon and you're unarmed ~ trying to fight then is a losing battle. And I agree with you, big difference between being a coward and being smart about a situation, a difference that may save your life.

Quote by Tantaga In general, do tend to fight or run?

Subjective. Although it truly does depend on the situation, the other main factor in the equation is how the person is engineered to response to such scenarios. I believe the term that is used for such engineered responses is called "muscle memory". For instance, if a person is trained through their years to be diplomatic, they will use the flight (which is integrated with diplomatic tactics) then fight. The same is for the opposite, if the person is instilled to hold their own and defend their honor at all cost, they will fight (which this too is integrated with quick resolving tactics). Personally, I've been trained in both, so there is no fear in me to execute one or the other when the time arises for me to stand out. So this question really boils down to the individual’s mental state then scenario. One could see a person get severely beaten by another and not due a thing to help them because they’ve never been taught what to do in that situation, or received any prior training to help them make a sound decision. Many say this is not true, but the bulk of people need to be educated and trained to deal with such events, for most individuals are not very self-sacrificial in their ways. That’s why I always encourage people to continue their education in academics when they question it, or wanting to join a martial arts class. You just never know, what you learned in school or class may save your life or the life of another.

Signature

kai81220

kai81220

anti Nobunaga

i did this topic in health! fight or flight, the effects of stress =P i think i would decide this depending on the situation. the whole thing starts with mental state, environment and previous experience. deifintely if it was a life ending situation, im flighting but if i feel i can handle it im fighting. but this could apply to more than just death sits, i think for most social stuffs im going to try to talk it out or something like that. lol i'm spouting stuff that i learned today XD

Signature

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.