Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 If the Brain was a Hard Drive, what's it's capacity? - Minitokyo

If the Brain was a Hard Drive, what's it's capacity?

page 2 of 6 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 123 total items

the brain can hold an infinate amount of data, because it stores data/memories in wave forms (and you can stack moving waves in infinate combinations). Everything you've ever experienced is still inside you. (this has been tested. You apply a mild electrical probe to the memory area of the brain, and you'll get a random replay of some portion of that person's past. Apply electricty to the same spot again, you get a different memory played back. the memory playback is the person speaking and moving as they relive that event in their mind)

Data retrieval is another story al together. the brain atou-categorises stuff into what it thinks is important, and only hi-priority items are easy to recall. unfortunately, what the briandiecides is high priority and what we actually want to recall do not always match. Also, soem items are occasionally specifically repressed.

80 gigs average. Just like me T_T

DaNuke

DaNuke

Punio de Hierro

Quote by strenothunfortunately, what the briandiecides is high priority and what we actually want to recall do not always match. Also, soem items are occasionally specifically repressed.

So that means the brain might not give a fuck about the university admission test?

Quote by people from the Irrompibles forumsDaedalus: i can imagine Rince's mangas
plater: ECCHI!
Pollo: Pure vile hentai.

Listening: Vengaboys - We Like to Party (The Vengabus)

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

I wonder what the average error rate on that would be?

Signature Image

Quote by jakulitoi can't say that ours has infinite capacity but it still has great
volume! Then why can you remember some things you did 5 years ago but
can't remember things you did 5 minutes ago?
our brain is a one myterious piece of hardware!!!

because our brain has a bad version of windows o,o and a horrible filesystem that needs to be defragmented.

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

Quote by warui

Quote by jakulitoi can't say that ours has infinite capacity but it still has great
volume! Then why can you remember some things you did 5 years ago but
can't remember things you did 5 minutes ago?
our brain is a one myterious piece of hardware!!!

because our brain has a bad version of windows o,o and a horrible filesystem that needs to be defragmented.

yeah, and everytime it restarts when you wake up, you can't even remember what you dreamt about. and they say humans dream 11 times a night, sheez XD

Signature

bookworm

bookworm

Book Master

I guess if the brain was an hard drive the storage capacity wopuld really depend on the person. I believe if the brain was an hard drive it's storage capacity would be like a computer.( i.e. it varies on the modal, so it would proberly vary on the person as well.)
I don't know...but I know if my brain was an hard drive the storage capacity would exceed all others!

I would rather be a poor, poor begger in a cottage full of books, than someone who has no desire to read...

Mmm I think 60gb

sh1nj1tsu

Old Soul

The brain is much like a relational database. The things stored in it aren't stored in a conventional complete sense like we do with computer related physical storage media. Insted, we store clues and fragments and then use processing power to reconstruct them. That's why we have difficult remembering the exact detail of anything. Though we can remember some details that are _conceptual_, like numbers, colors are rarely ever _precise_. Sure, we may get the general color right, but hue, saturation, and brightness dead on?

As far as the amount, I would say not much. Most of the information we keep is just small bits we later reconstruct. The important stuff is retained in the brain's RAM so to speak. Each day you re-access your important things and keep them fresh.

We don't keep full images or anything like that. It is a well known and understood concept in psychology that the human brain reconstructs memory items and physical objects. Example, when you only see a piece of an object, your brain reconstructs the parts you can't see using your visualization processing power.

It's in the brain's capacity to process relational information in a fast way that makes it seem like it holds a lot. Then again, I am likely to be incorrect as something more accurate will reveal itself. = )

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

sh1nj1tsu

Old Soul

Ignore this post. I tried deleting it, but I just get denied. Also, this wouldn't have happened if the page hadn't timed out nearly everytime I try to load a page. = o

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

Nicelay said. But if we only remember fragments then rebuld them in an instant when needed, then why the heck can't we just look at piece of paper and remeber it's content in other word, photographic memory?

Yeah, we see something and we just imagine the it's entirety, but if it was an unknown object, isn't it just right that we'll go blank the because we need to create the missing parts. Another thing worth mentioning is the human "ram". A PC RAM is, well, a place where data can be accessed quickly, the brain doesn't work like that. Just like you said it's a database, so data must be written and saved not held.

I know you said to ignore it, but it just made me a little more interested. XD

Signature

sh1nj1tsu

Old Soul

My blank post taunts you from the abyss!

Also, storage media, whether static or dynamic is still storage media. The cones and rods in your eyes are just buffers for the informatiom to pass along your optic nerve. All information is stored. All. It's just a matter of whether or not it gets overwritten by something even more useless than the previous information. = )

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

You have enlightened me with your wisdom. Do share your omniscient knwoledge unto us mere mortals, almighty dude. Your sophisticated use of the English language is creating a vast vortex of chaos in my synoptic relays. :) :) :) :) :)

Yeah storage is storage, but the topic is capacity not how it functions. I'm asking about mental capacity translated into digital capacity. Im trying take a guess at the logic behind Artificial Intelligence?

Signature

sh1nj1tsu

Old Soul

I would say not very big. = p

fsn

scientists and a.i. experts, calculate about 10gigs.

+ personal motto: Japanese Thinking, Otaku Creating.
+ member of:
__ForceFirefox! ~ Ecchi-Club ~ Pantheon ~ JapaneseLover
__Make-A-Friend ~ Section 9 ~ Elfen-Lied-Junkies ~ EVA-Children
+ kiss my GNOME-ish: foot
+ wallpaper in progress, stand by.

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

If an A.I. robot has 10 gigs memory does that give them the ability to learn? How can you store daily experience in just 10 gigs of memory.

Signature

HamsterJohn

HamsterJohn

Defender of ur Mom

300gb capacity, with only 1MB buffer, and only .4% used space at most.

000011111 11110000111 000111 111 111 !!!!oneone one

Stop wasting the internet!

KurriKlown

KurriKlown

-wants Mr. Tadakichi-

I don't know about storage space, but I do know about the bandwidth of the human brain. It was calculated in AI-class.
The amount of data the brain can move per second through its synapses is about 40.000 terabytes (40.000.000 gigabytes). Quite a lot, isn't it :)

Signature

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

Quote by KurriKlownI don't know about storage space, but I do know about the bandwidth of
the human brain. It was calculated in AI-class.
The amount of data the brain can move per second through its synapses
is about 40.000 terabytes (40.000.000 gigabytes). Quite a lot, isn't it
:)

Nice trivia!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Signature

fsn

the way that the human brain stores the thoughts, memories and stuff is totally different for the hard drives.

besides, who`s talking about Robots with Artificial Intelligence?
robots ain`t humans and vice versa.

+ personal motto: Japanese Thinking, Otaku Creating.
+ member of:
__ForceFirefox! ~ Ecchi-Club ~ Pantheon ~ JapaneseLover
__Make-A-Friend ~ Section 9 ~ Elfen-Lied-Junkies ~ EVA-Children
+ kiss my GNOME-ish: foot
+ wallpaper in progress, stand by.

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Here's the thing; data storage in the human brain is handled very differently from data storage in hard drives and other conventional media. The human brain doesn't store data as the data itself, as is the case on hard drives, but rather it stores certain defining characteristics and atributes. For example, I am a great fan of Tolkien's works and have read the Silmarillion a number of times and can retell the stories in that novel with great ease and detail. However, to store all of that knowledge, I do not have the entire book imprinted upon by brain somewhere, but rather certain key characteristics that I can call upon in a moment's notice.

The same is true for recognizing people and faces; people subconsciously define others as a certain number of distinguishing characteristics, be it hair, skin, a particular feature, an article of clothing, and use that distinguishing characteristic to identify a person.

Therefore, the human brain might not really have that large a real storage capacity, but in terms of functional capability, its efficiency of data storage far exceeds that of conventional hard drives, though it is impossible to quantify it in general. Besides, it would be different for each individual. Simply stated, given the fundamental disparity in the means and type of data stored, it's impossible to objectively answer this question.

Edit: I hadn't seen sh1nj1tsu's post before I made mine, but what I said goes hand in hand with his comments.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

You also have to consider that our memory isn't binary. I'm not sure but it might even be analogue or something. I don't think there can be a true hardware/brain analogy.

Proud member of [ElfenLeid Junkies] and [ForceFirefox]

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

Quote by overkill1024You also have to consider that our memory isn't binary. I'm not sure
but it might even be analogue or something. I don't think there can be
a true hardware/brain analogy.

And that just makes it more mysterious.

Signature

This is like asking how loud can a cat bark....

page 2 of 6 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 123 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.