Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 If the Brain was a Hard Drive, what's it's capacity? - Minitokyo

If the Brain was a Hard Drive, what's it's capacity?

page 3 of 6 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 123 total items

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

Quote by EnchanterThis is like asking how loud can a cat bark....

I know a cat that can bark!!!

Signature

Masaru-San

Masaru-San

Mayor of Hardcoretown.

You can't precieve the brain as a harddrive. Your brain is the muscle that controls your body, and it holds your memories, motor skills, ect. Our nowledge is simply applied memory really. But I guess if your brain could store actual data like documents, programs, music, games and such, it'd hold a lot, because I usually memorize how my games go.

Take a look toward the sky, Halvdane. We shall fill the air with spears to turn black this christian sun.

Luali

Celestial Love

I think it depends on the person, some people might have gb, others might be into pb, while some are probably still in kb ;)

shad0whunter

shad0whunter

spam deprived~

depends on how much you access it

Signature Image

Hard question, apple and oranges. Brains can grow, Hard drives can't. Brains use neural netrowking. Hard drives use static locations. Neurons are essentailly little computers with a couple of network cards on them. A Hard drive is basically, a book.

But to be fair I say brain has about 10e7777777 zetabytes of space.

"May the aquisition of wealth no longer be your driving force." - freshblueO2

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish." - Mother Teresa

zettabytes? thats an awful lot. kind of a waste of that much storage for hundred year lifespan.

Palin88

Palin88

Complete Noob

I see the mind as a huge relational database. The human brain is excellent at pattern recognition, and can quickly compare things to each other to identify new objects or ideas. This is why language is so important to how a mind categorizes items; words are defined by other words. Looking at my mouse, I instantly can think of things that are used for computer input, things that are colored gray, things that are made of plastic, etc... Everything that the mouse is used for, is made of, and is related to is in my mind.

Glancing over at the empty can of soda on my desk reminds me that I need to clean my room up. Thinking of cleaning my room reminds me that my sister is visiting me tomorrow (and I want to have my place cleaned up by then.) That also reminds me that I have to do my laundry. That makes me think of my schedule, and then my homework and classes tomorrow. All of that information passed through my mind in a few seconds because all the ideas linked together.

"I wanted to throw in some irony by using a feminist word to explain that I like boobies."

Duuz

Duuz

Master of Disaster

As I understood one scientist that said it, the brain is all hardware. You can't tranfer files or stuff into or out of it. It's hardwired to remember data that goes into it. So one can only estimate the capacity of the brain as still much greater than the most powerful computer made.

I know, Big Blue beat the chess champion, but that computer is only processing data. It doesn't have to maintain balance, operate the lungs and heart, focus the eyes and about a million other bodily processes all at the same time. Computers can only do a few things at a time compaired to what the human brain has to deal with conciously or unconciously.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

Norimune

Norimune

Prince of Winter

if brain was a pc... I am afraid I might have lost some clusters in a party this weekend... how do you run a scandisk in it? so a personal diary is like a back up?... uhmmm interesting threory... oh by the way my maximum storage is about 1Mb (in Zip format)

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici." By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

DakX

DakX

Inactivity strikes again

well the more date you have to store the more conections the brain makes so it would go on for ever untill your head explodes.

Please excuse but my english isn't very wel but I am still learning.

Duuz

Duuz

Master of Disaster

Actually I think we'd be suprized at what we can remember if we wanted to. It all depends on how your brain stores it's data. I think every one has a different method for it in their head.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

Palin88

Palin88

Complete Noob

Quote by Duuz
I know, Big Blue beat the chess champion, but that computer is only
processing data. It doesn't have to maintain balance, operate the lungs
and heart, focus the eyes and about a million other bodily processes
all at the same time. Computers can only do a few things at a time
compaired to what the human brain has to deal with conciously or
unconciously.

Actually, Deep Blue wasn't very smart at all. Chess has a finite calculatable number of ways that the game can be played. All Deep Blue did was compare the current state of the game with every possible outcome then use some special algorithms to determine what move was most likely to result in a favorable result in the long term.

Take a more complicated game like Go, that has a seemingly infinite number of ways a game can be played, and suddenly the best IBM computers are being beaten by Asian children.

"I wanted to throw in some irony by using a feminist word to explain that I like boobies."

ever-ruler

ever-ruler

..: winter air :..

I wouldn't say infinite but at least a huge amount of space. How much you can hold depends on the quality and resolution of the images and videos you remember :D

my brain has a billion gig capacity since i have a good memory but im a slow thinker so my RAM will be 64 megs only, with a 533 mhz proccessor

I WANT LULU'S HAREM

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

Quote by ever-rulerI wouldn't say infinite but at least a huge amount of space. How much you can hold depends on the quality and resolution of the images and videos you remember :D

So you're saying if we remember uncompressed 50mpx jpeg files, and full DVD size mpeg movies that we have much larger memories.

Hmmmm... could be.

Signature

"640k ought to be enough for anybody"

;)

LOL. Isn't that what Bill Gate said a long time ago? LOL

In terms of hard drive, our brain is an organic one. Capable of increasing its size ten-fold if need be at a given moment. The problem is, what's the point of having a huge hard drive if you're having trouble retrieving things? That's where we fall short. A lot of people, including myself, have trouble remembering things we stored a long time ago. Maybe we need to install Google? :P

Signature

Yeah lets make a "search your brain" plugin for google desktop search ;)

But I think having it index your brain for a few years would cause so major headaches ~.~

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

Hey, nice idea.

*Calling everyone in mt!!! Be ready to Google your heads.

>>>m$ is probably gonna release this cause they're watching our every move. >grins<

Signature

The universe is (i believe) based on much more complex laws and standards than what we can perceive. Our logic is different from the structure of everything... The brain does not work with bits and bytes but uses a way of relating different objects. Just think that a hard disk can store many hours of video. The brain records ALL our life, not only the picture part but the sounds, the smells, the feel, the taste and the sentimental part... And think about what WE create except of what we receive... ok... This has no limits ^^

zoku88

zoku88

Resident Lolicon

According to this guy, its 100 terabytes. http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/feb2001/981626750.Ns.r.html
He says himself that any answer to this question is worth a grain of salt for vaious reasons.

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

Quote by zoku88According to this guy, its 100 terabytes. http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/feb2001/981626750.Ns.r.html
He says himself that any answer to this question is worth a grain of salt for vaious reasons.

that guy took a lot of time in thinking about that... guess he has more than 100 terabytes but he'll just tell me to take some salt...

Signature

Akaiken

Akaiken

Ike, Fin Funnel!

Quote by jakulito

Quote by zoku88According to this guy, its 100 terabytes. http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/feb2001/981626750.Ns.r.html

that guy took a lot of time in thinking about that... guess he has more than 100 terabytes but he'll just tell me to take some salt...

Nope I think the brain is 5.9 gb and has at least 64mb of memory. It runs an OEM version of WinME at 450mhz.

Signature
Unit No. - RX-93
Unit Name - Nu Gundam

onimakura

onimakura

under new management

10 kb

under new management

page 3 of 6 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 123 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.