The next stupid RIAA stint

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Jinzhou

Retired Moderator

Jinzhou

Forsaken God

Cancel

Not content with asking for an arm and a leg from consumers and artists, the music industry now wants your fingerprints, too. The RIAA is hoping that a new breed of music player which requires biometric authentication will put an end to file sharing.

Established biometric vendor Veritouch has teamed up with Swedish design company to produce iVue: a wireless media player that allows content producers to lock down media files with biometric security. This week Veritouch announced that it had demonstrated the device to the RIAA and MPAA.

"In practical terms, VeriTouch's breakthrough in anti-piracy technology means that no delivered content to a customer may be copied, shared or otherwise distributed because each file is uniquely locked by the customer's live fingerprint scan," claims the company.

iVue has been developed in partnership with Swedish design house Thinking Materials. Since Veritouch already supplies security authentication systems up to Homeland Defense standards (in partnership with an Israeli defense contractor), we do forsee exciting synergies ahead, should budget cuts force the War on Terror and the War on Piracy to be consolidated into just the one unwinnable "war".

Do you think it will catch on?

That's just so...useless, lol. I garuntee you if this DOES come out, a number of people are going to hack the reg files to find which file is their active thumb prints and just send that to the person they're giving the music first, lol.

The RIAA is REALLY getting desperate.

What do you think?

Signature
Yes, I am god. Infallibility at its greatest.

Absentmindederic

Just a Wanderer

Cancel

WHAT?!?!?! There's been no mass consumer usage of biometrics before, and I think it's kinda sad that the first usage of biometrics will be to make sure that we're not copying songs. That's real desperation on the RIAA's part. Using never before used used technology to combat piracy.

• Jun 12, 2004

lensterknight

lensterknight

Ah, the leeching.

Cancel

IMHO, that borders the laughable.

raging_otter

Not In

Cancel

RIAA must be dumb :p
theres a ton of other ways for copying music, even if that file cannot be shared...

Cancel

solution: dont buy ivue, just buy ipod or some other mp3 type player. ivue goes out of business.

• Jun 12, 2004

Kozumura

Kozumura

????

Cancel

now fingerprints o_o
wtf..

Cancel

dude... anyone use soulseek... thats the shit for music, but anywho... ima agree with you, they are fuckin desperate. fingerprints? my god thats so gay and stupid

Cancel

man, i dont know if they realize if they just lower cd prices a tad alot more people would be willing to buy. i mean if they were around 10 bucks id buy more willingly. well anyeways, stupid crap like this makes me wanna stop buying cds all together since it just pisses me off

PTG

Firripu-Daioh

Cancel

wow more anti-piracy things to hack past in the upcoming future. Bring it on

"If I went around saying I was an Emporer, just because some moistened bink had lobbed a scimitar at me,they'd put me away." (Dennis - Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

• Jun 14, 2004

tecnophreak

tecnophreak

retired user

Cancel

yeah, thats retarded.

Signature

• Aug 13, 2004

cyberstorm

cyberstorm

Error Remaker

Cancel

if we can listen to it we can copy it... ever heard of a microphone? or a compiuter with line in? =/
Heck, either they are simpleminded enough to not think about the easiest way of copying stuff, recording it, or this is just one of the other "rumors" about how stupid RIAA is XD

Signature
"Be normal and the crowd will accept you, be deraged and they will make you their leader..." - Christopher Titus

Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Chopper City

Cancel

Quote by lensterknightIMHO, that borders the laughable.

yep >.<

that's ridiculous

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Cancel

To bad there wasn't a way to get to the source--like somehow put RIAA out of business. If only things were so simple.

• Aug 14, 2004

Vilecat

Vilecat

Plushie General

Cancel

Quote by crapmonsterman, i dont know if they realize if they just lower cd prices a tad alot more people would be willing to buy. i mean if they were around 10 bucks id buy more willingly. well anyeways, stupid crap like this makes me wanna stop buying cds all together since it just pisses me off

they're too stupid and scared to loose more profits. it fell into a vicious circle and we're not near of seeing it stop. i think they're just turning desperatedly insane.... can anyone smack them around a bit?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons because, to them, you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Aug 14, 2004
Cancel

excuse the french but that finger print business is fucked.

• Aug 14, 2004

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.