Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Popularity to win.... - Minitokyo

Popularity to win....

page 1 of 1 23 total items

YugureKaze

YugureKaze

The Lost Wanderer

at my school we recently had class elections
the people that always win, that i have noticed, are always the most popular out of the canidates

i believe that people should be chosen on their abilities and not because of popularity
but i can't really do anything about it....

i was wondering what you guys thought about people being elected or chosen because of popularity, do you believe that it is right?

Athrun

Athrun

Flying Chain Chomp

To me, popularity is never right when it comes to ppl. - -;

But when it comes to games and other goods... popularity would be bad if all of the stuff went out of stock. XD

Still buying pokemon cards?
My Ebay!
Don't miss out on very rare stuff! *Japanese Shiny Krookodile*, Full Art Ho-oh EX and Elesa deck sleeves! Very hard to find and very expensive from Japanese sellers! Get them while they're at a low cost! Ending very soon!

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

You know whats funny is that I realised that popularity does matter in the second grade when we had this election...can't remember what it was for, but all I know is the popular kid blew me out of the water big time.

Its sad to be honest. Though at such a young age I don't expect people to be smart and think about things, but if something like this is happening later on in life, thats just stupid.

A decision should be reached on who the better candidate is, not whos more popular.
Is this person gonna get things done? Etc... I stopped running for student council because I was the kid that no one knew, though people liked my ideas no one knew me and they figured I was a loner, so around 9th grade I stopped running. It was rather humerous overall because you could see from year to year how things slowly began to shift towards who was the better candidate and how fewer and fewer people based it on popularity, though it still was and even to my senior year in high school.

Its sad, really. Theres no other way to describe it, but people will continue to do it. =/

Then again some people feel that believe the most popular person wins is out of jealousy. Could it be? Or is it that the persons more well aware of the better candidate for the job and knows who will take care of business.

Signature Image

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

I don't think popularity should be the case. Suppose that popular person doesn't have the essential abilities to conduct or be responsible for the position. Then the election would be a waste. It is much better to base an election on ability and/or dedication.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

Quote by melmachine18I don't think popularity should be the case. Suppose that popular
person doesn't have the essential abilities to conduct or be
responsible for the position. Then the election would be a waste. It is
much better to base an election on ability and/or dedication.

Get your head out of the clouds XP . That may well be the case in an ideal world, but it will always be on popularity ^^ .

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

skysong

skysong

~SMS~

My school had the same problem. The most popular people would get on Student Council, and they were definitly not the right people of the job. I don't know how many banners held mispelled words because our Student Council couldn't spell... ~_~ Come on guys, get the posters right at least! XO

Signature

diamarrr

diamarrr

Does it matter?

well it is obvious that people would choose the popular person .......well cuz they know bout the person??even if you are better u wont get elected if no one knows you....people would be left with questions on whether you are even near the quality of the popular guy so popularity/publicity is important to get votes;)

CLAMPchic

CLAMPchic

I'm just me

Same thing at my school...whether it's ASB or class officers, homecoming prince/princess, student of the month, whatever, it's always popularity. It' sad...but I suppose I'm lucky, since my school is so small (about 250 in the HS, 70 or so in my class), all the popular people who get elected are actually good leaders (at least, the ones in my grade)...pretty responsible, with good ideas and such. That doesn't make it any easier to accept...but hey, that's reality for you. The ideal world would be different...but I suppose we all have to settle for what we get. Oh well, that's life.

Signature
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been." ~ Anonymous

Sometimes the popular person is better suited for the job. Just cuz they're popular doesn't mean they're stupid. Popularity also means that those people have networks. They have influence and get the job done much easier than a nobody. People shouldn't automatically vote for the popular person, but most of the time that does seem to be the most obvious choice. How can you know if the not-so-popular person is suitable for the position if you don't even know who he/she is?

Be Free and Masturbate

Holt

Holt

pffft

Look at it realistically, if someone unpopular got put into a high position, he'd have to be amazingly able and extremely assertive otherwise no one would respect him or listen to him. Being popular will get people's trust and credibility. And with a position like a class representative, the person has to have relations with all the people in the class otherwise it would be pointless.
No matter how smart someone is, if they aren't popular with the people they're responsible for, it just won't work.

Signature Image

Popularity is probably a summation of a candidate's measure in a set of criteria, and sometimes a certain criterion is what the population perceives valid (sic) basis for judging leadership. It's up to the people to decide on whether the criteria are valid or unsound (in many unfortunate cases, it's the latter).

So yeah, the popular ones will always get the votes.

It is actually hard to avoid, that the popular people will always win because the most people know about them. This can be good, because some of the popular people are really nice and good at dealing with other people; but it can be a bad thing as well because certain people are popular for all the wrong reasons. So...while it angers me sometimes that school elections are often no more than fancy popularity contests, that's really just the way it goes.

Drak

Drak

Dragon Child

It's not right.
I myself don't care about popularity much. I think there are more important things then that: like being yourself for example.
People should be judged for the values they represant with themselves, not because they're popular.

'This is the story about dragons, magic and people dreams' - Dragonblood.
Current chapter: 12

i don't think its right, just b/c a person is popular doesn't always mean they're good for the job
in my school i find that no gets voted b/c they're popular,
a lot of the times i don't know half the ppl in the school council
and our school is pretty big, there are almost 2,000 ppl in my school,
and we usually keep to ourselves, like little packs of wolves XD

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

Our school is interesting as for school and house captains ect. We all vote and everything but the last decision is really up to the headmaster of the school (although not everyone is told or actually believes this). The votes we make will have an impact but the headmaster will pick the winner by the top three people.....whoever he thinks is best

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

LastDinosaur

LastDinosaur

Imperfect

Well for our elections, i dont think any of the canditates were actually qualified.. its a class election, its not supposed to mean anything.. these are ppl who represent our school, by that fact, its probably better that the popular people won, wouldnt want some nobody representing us. I think if the people who won had more responcibilites, then i would care.. all these ppl do are organize dances.

Signature Image
My Featured Wallpaper: Bleach - Renji
Feel free to browse my Gallery, comments appreichated.

Mordin

Mordin

The Wise One

well as it is said above, popularity is the voice of the people, we don't judge things on a objective level, because we all have bias, just look at the way we fav gallery item. It is a fact of human nature that we need to deal with.

Signature
Thank you einna for the siggy :)

Devilet

Devilet

~ cyNicaLDeviL ~

It's been like that for the longest time ... In any group of people you will see the people who are popular get voted, rather someone with better capabilites. Naturally it isn't fair, but in the end it's their undoing, because things would of been better with the qualified person (or people).

Alright, there are bound to be those that disagree, but I believe that the person best fit, is the person everyone agrees with. In terms of popularity, this person isn't exactly exalted by all, but is known by many. They are rarely disagreeable and often humble about their likeability, meaning they'll never run. Everyone knows one person who knows everyone, but their personality doesn't stick out. It’s a shame really, this person is the best fit, both popular and right for the job. So next you think about this person during an election, remember to put their name on the ballad without then knowing, they'll thank you for it later. And of course, remember to vote Kaedo for President in 2008.

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Ahh... the continuum of popularity that still arises and rolls from within.

Problem is, that if you would go around halfway across the world, somewhere down by North America for example, you will hear celebrities that star in movies about how good they look, how great they act and all that. Are they really truly fit for the job, and are they that perfect? Absolutely not - but some people have the talent and potential that goes behind the call of duty, and having both popularity and potential is what counts the most. Yes, there are popular people out there that do have potential, least people forget.

Now back to the main topic, in real life and down by school, a lot of popular people I met are people with some kind of trait or skill that not many others possess. Sure, of course there are some others who could exceed them. That's a gimme. The thing that drives their charisma up is because they actually step to the plate and show it off with some sort of effort. It's obvious to say that a very bright individual with no gut power on the floor will evidently be well known if they just sit there in a rut and let their talents go to shame, rather than shoot out and shine, so it's pretty clear that popularity has quite an effect as well and if you can't take the moment by the horns, consider it tough luck, no matter how talented or skilled you really are [unless you are like supremely gifted - this people are hard to ignore and are on a league of their own].

Also, I hardly see people who are somewhat popular become so popular for no reason - they built their way up using some kind of characteristic or attribute that they uniquely possess, and that takes time and effort to control and harness before it eventually becomes realized. Clearly behind the scenes, you will tell over time who is truly fit for the job aside from popularity issues, but I'm not going to get there - that's a whole different story. Having both is what you need to shine pretty much, and using popularity to win doesn't always seem to be the best resolution, but the line of best fit normally is the one that is to be chosen around there.

Like many of the retired gladiators in the colisseum used to say in Rome: Win the people's hearts, and you win your freedom. The power of fame in public, is a powerful drive to capture and hold nonetheless.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

oh a popularity contest?
vote for me ^^ everyone's fav perv ^_~

hehe anyways popularity isn't that bad
as long as people become popular for good reasons
and not just cuz they give ppl gifts or have lots
of money, soo many sterotupes about popular kids
most are just based on what you see on tv...
so being popular isn't that bad...if you really hate popular
kids then do something to get yourself noticed and change
the way things are done...can't just sit around and complain
when you dont do anything..

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

YugureKaze

YugureKaze

The Lost Wanderer

Quote by CyanideBlizzardYou know whats funny is that I realised that popularity does matter in
the second grade when we had this election...can't remember what it was
for, but all I know is the popular kid blew me out of the water big
time.
Its sad to be honest. Though at such a young age I don't expect people
to be smart and think about things, but if something like this is
happening later on in life, thats just stupid.
A decision should be reached on who the better candidate is, not whos
more popular. Is this person gonna get things done? Etc... I stopped
running for student council because I was the kid that no one knew,
though people liked my ideas no one knew me and they figured I was a
loner, so around 9th grade I stopped running. It was rather humerous
overall because you could see from year to year how things slowly began
to shift towards who was the better candidate and how fewer and fewer
people based it on popularity, though it still was and even to my
senior year in high school.
Its sad, really. Theres no other way to describe it, but people will
continue to do it. =/
Then again some people feel that believe the most popular person wins
is out of jealousy. Could it be? Or is it that the persons more well
aware of the better candidate for the job and knows who will take care
of business.

wahh! blown out of the water?!
must've been a harsh election...
i have actually been able to win some things based on word of mouth about me not popularity...seem weird because i'm not the kind of person that people would really talk about...
i think the biggest thing that i have won was a schoolwide vote and i got that i would most likely be VP of the US...crazy isn't it....

babyck

babyck

>*|*< c o f f e e & t e a >*|*<

i've never thought that it's right...
in my school...this situation happens all the time..
im usually very unhappy or disappointed with those who are elected...
i mean...if u're popular and is responsible at the same time, then it's alright but usually those who are popular tend to have just the "outside" image...
i would prefer to elect all those who i/we know will do their parts well...

page 1 of 1 23 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.