Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Software patents - is this the beginning of the end? - Minitokyo

Software patents - is this the beginning of the end?

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Alex204

Seeking Rakuen

For anyone not yet aware, the EU is trying to legalised software patents in Europe - if anyone can do anything to stop this then please help! Full info is at www.nosoftwarepatents.com but basicly it means software like WinAmp, VLC, mPlayerC, etc... that use other software's codecs, and even much larger projects like Linux could be under threat.
(Sorry if this is a duplicate thread but i could not find and results for patent.)

Signature
"Rules are there to make you think before you break them."

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

man that's a serious problem!!! Thanks for bringing it up...

Maybe the guys can get to an agreement or somethin...

And why the hell is Linux affected? If Lniux is affected so is M*croshit right because Apple started everything!!!

Signature

Quote by jakulitoAnd why the hell is Linux affected? If Lniux is affected so is M*croshit right because Apple started everything!!!

Actually, IIRC Xerox was the first with a number of significant things...

fuzzmegabass

fuzzmegabass

Code Ninja

Software patents kill innovation, and if those incompetent idiots at the uspto don't stop handing out patents to these power hungry multi-billion dollar corporations, the open-source programmer will become extinct. I believe it's gotten so bad that if you write a simple little videogame that tallies scoring... yes scoring. You infringe of a Microsoft patent. Don't believe me? research it. Patent #6,604,008 "Scoring based upon goals achieved and subjective elements." Issued to Microsoft Corporation, June 8, 2001

Signature Image

I do believe software patents are bad. But I think (or maybe hope?) that people are exaggerating this. When the software patent bill will be passed, these software projects using patented software are not going to disappear from one day to the next.
There has been heavy usage of patented algorithms in the past, and it did not kill any software (think lzw/gif, mpeg, ...). Of course people will be more careful and/or reluctant to code using patented algorithms, but software will not disappear overnight or something.
Maybe the developers will host and maintain the projects in other countries where software patents do not apply, this has happened before, too.

Anyway, I still do hope this bill will not be passed, not only because Software Patents are wrong, but because of the non-democratic way this bill seems to get pushed through, which really puts the EU parliament in a bad light.

fsn

hell, i was thinking to make such a thread but i`m glad somebody else made it before me, because it seems that i not the only one who is concerned about the software patents.

the only ones who seem to benefit from these laws are the major companies like ms... and thinks will get even worst... =_=

also i read, that this SoftwarePatents-related-law comes in contrast with some other laws :s.

+ personal motto: Japanese Thinking, Otaku Creating.
+ member of:
__ForceFirefox! ~ Ecchi-Club ~ Pantheon ~ JapaneseLover
__Make-A-Friend ~ Section 9 ~ Elfen-Lied-Junkies ~ EVA-Children
+ kiss my GNOME-ish: foot
+ wallpaper in progress, stand by.

Firefox

Hi, I'm your favorite browser

This is most shocking. I read a lot of ridiculous things but this one scores very high I'm afraid. If the information on the website posted in the first post of this topic is true then we're really having a huge problem.

sanmadjack

sanmadjack

Tube tops are too cylindrical

Everytime someone patents software, god kills a kitten. They aren't thinking of the kittens. Remember that next time you elect someone.

Signature
Registered Linux user 395626
Hi-Res Icons - http://www.rabiez.tk/
Want a gmail address? Let me know, I've got invites coming out of my butt!

Software patents could be the end of computing cause if ppl just patents software it will be to expensive to develop any useful software and most if not all creativity for software development will be squished.

Alex204

Seeking Rakuen

Quote by sanmadjackEverytime someone patents software, god kills a kitten. They aren't
thinking of the kittens. Remember that next time you elect someone.

Please everyone, save the kittens! >=(

(btw: if anyone is wondering how i found out about this it was from the VLC homepage - obviously writing software that can play other peoples codecs (like MPC playing quicktime and flash (much bettern than the true apps) would be a problem.)

Signature
"Rules are there to make you think before you break them."

Firefox

Hi, I'm your favorite browser

Makes me wonder, is there an sort of official petition against this?

Akaiken

Akaiken

Ike, Fin Funnel!

Hmm... I think it's really bad. If that happens then M*croshit will just buy the rights and that's it, they'll be back in business.

Signature
Unit No. - RX-93
Unit Name - Nu Gundam

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.