Are you nervous or afraid of talking in front of the crowd?

page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next » 172 total items

Barbara

Tomorrow is another day

Cancel

Hi all ^_^ I just wonder if anyone here has the problem with talking in front of the crowd. Are you nervous or afraid when you have to do the presentation in front of the class or making a speech in a meeting.....How can you deal with all the stress?
Really appreciate all the replies. Good day!!! :)

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world
- Bill Wilson -

LastDinosaur

LastDinosaur

Imperfect

Cancel

Well I try not to make such a big deal about things, i dont get nervous talking in large crouds cause i dont see anything to get nervous about. I have infomation to share with a large group, all i gotta do is share it, if i mess up on a speech or something, im sure the audience would understand.. Only when I have to make a speech and i havent prepared would i get somewhat nervous, its not that im afriad of making a fool of myself, speeches are worth a lot of points in my class.. so thats why i allways prepare.

Signature Image
My Featured Wallpaper: Bleach - Renji
Feel free to browse my Gallery, comments appreichated.

akari-chan

akari-chan

59 luv XD

Cancel

Yes, I am. Sometimes at school the teacher says we have to do a presentation of a report we did, then I get nervous.

Signature
*~Latest Submissions~*:
{Relaxation}{Melancholic Yuki}{Basil}{Potemayo}

Keough

Keough

Lockhart

Cancel

Oh definatly! Even after takin Speech Class i am still nervous. The best way for me to block out that is to either pay attention to 1 certian person or just turn around without see the people. Other than that i guess we all just have to contra up our fear XD

Cancel

Definetly. I hate orals in school, but my teachers say that im good at speaking and should join the Debating team.... XP Nasty... I dont like....

• Apr 12, 2005

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Cancel

Actually when the calling has come, I apparently step up to the plate and say what I have to say.

In a speech or in a debate, I can overcome the nervousness and the embarrassment - I have done so before, so its no biggy, no problem, Barbara. **Nods**

However, if you'd approach a big hallway with a lot of people sitting around, you will never expect me to stand out because I normally stay silent the whole time and blend in easily with the crowd, so in a million years, you will never have the chance to notice me at all. lol

I only start forming myself as a unique stand when I see my good friends in public. There, I tend to open myself up more often and thanks to their help and comfortability they bring alongside with them, I get to climb out of my shell at times, even when it becomes unsuspectable I suppose - **Snickers** and I do surprise a lot of people when they see me for who I am. Yes, I can be a very talkative individual, and yes, I love to bring humor to the table and strike an interesting yet though-provoking discussion if I would like to at times, but I have to know the person whom I am talking to first very well, so I can bring things up that draws their attention. As for approaching people, I'm not really the approachable type - I'm more of the laid-back type of person who doesn't really like to be involved in a one-on-one interaction quite often - mostly especially towards a stranger - but in a group talk with my good old friends - I'm there! lol - I may be the quiet type, but I do say a couple random hellos to a few friendly faces. I can ignore people very well in public, but that's for another story, another time, as usual.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

CLAMPchic

CLAMPchic

I'm just me

Cancel

Oh wow...I'm not afraid of addressing a crowd. I love public speaking...I suppose you could call it one of my passions. Drama, speeches, public debates (well, at least my school debate club)...I love it all. Sure, there's the last-minute jitters, but everyone gets that. It doesn't dull my love for that kind of thing...drama performances are my favorites by far, though. Reports for class are okay, as well, but not always very fun; if it's an interesting subject, then it's all good.
Anyway, the way I deal with the jittery feeling is to take a few deep breathes, and close my eyes. When I'm up at the podium or desk (or whatever I'm speaking from), I close my eyes and send up a quick prayer, saying something like "Jesus, You gave me this opportunity and talent for speaking, so me let use it well." When I'm in my seat, I'll talk to Him to help me calm down...but that doesn't work for everyone (especially if someone doesn't believe in Him). For some reason, the deep breathing and closing my eyes helps me a lot...that's all I have to say; nice thread, though.

Signature
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been." ~ Anonymous

• Apr 12, 2005
Cancel

Ya! i'm very shy enfornt of people :) I don't like talking to people anyway :(
i get nervous sometime by I could just blank out all of the people from my head and read my report. It is good to know some mind game that work on yourself XD HA HA HA HA HA HA

• Apr 12, 2005

DREAM

DREAM

Lord of Dreams

Cancel

well to be honest i rule in smaller crowds than larger ones. but if necessary i can and will speak in large groups. i.e i have spoken at my cousin's wedding and my grandmother's funeral etc. people tell me i am quite good- but i am slightly dubious.

one thing i can recommend although eye contact is paramount - i find focusing on a far away object say [a wall] or whatever helps.

or just pretend you are singing at a rock concert. the crowd is there, but the stage is smoky and people can't clearly see ya. :)
the biggest problem with public speaking i assume is the fear of having many people stare at you and perhaps forming negative opinions. :(

hope that helps.
great thread, Barbara. ^_^

cereshe22

cereshe22

goddess

Cancel

yes i am, coz im a shy type and quiet too
i dont like to be the center of attraction
:\

• Apr 12, 2005
Cancel

[Laughs] Yeah, i normally stay really quiet, so i blend in with the crowd and no one notices me... It's a way of diverting the attention away...

And i find i can speak easily with younger people... XD they're easier to talk to....

• Apr 12, 2005

Mordin

Mordin

The Wise One

Cancel

Well i am a natural born leader :D j/k I do like to talk in front of big crowds, because it makes me feel powerful. Hey that is how I got my message across doing my activist days in college, I made my voice known, if you really believe your cause I don't see there is any shame in sharing it with the world. The way I look at it, it isn't about being shy, it is more about how much confidence you have in your ideas and speech ability, so they will accept you. I don't really give a damn about what other people think of me, unless my friends, so I just do what my gut and conscience tells me, it makes life more simple for me. :)

Signature
Thank you einna for the siggy :)

• Apr 12, 2005

KiYa

KiYa

Quotes for me

Cancel

i don't like talking infront of any number of people...even if it is a classroom with one other student and the teacher, pretty sad isn't it...well, i handle the stress by focusing as much as i can and already know every siningle thing that i'm going to say...having a refrence paper is always good when you can have one
well, i hope i answered your question enough,
i'll c'ya laters

• Apr 12, 2005
Cancel

i usualy don't like speaking infront of a crowd but that was last year...
anyway you should think that speaking in front of a crowd is like speaking with your friend ,dont care whatever they thought about you and then you will be fine....

Drak

Drak

Dragon Child

Cancel

Hard to say. I usually don't have any problems talking to the crowd (I don't like it, but that's the whole, diffrent story).
Then again, everytime I do that, my hands and legs starts shaking and I can't do anything about it ^_^'

'This is the story about dragons, magic and people dreams' - Dragonblood.
Current chapter: 12

Kyo26

Kyo26

Miuseiki

Cancel

mostly yes. but i can if i wan to..but mostly no XD

Signature

• Apr 12, 2005

streamside

streamside

deranged.

Cancel

I don't have a problem with it... i won gold medals for extemporaenous speaking... ^_^

Quote by CelessaActually when the calling has come, I apparently step up to the plate
and say what I have to say.
In a speech or in a debate, I can overcome the nervousness and the
embarrassment - I have done so before, so its no biggy, no problem,
Barbara. **Nods**
However, if you'd approach a big hallway with a lot of people sitting
around, you will never expect me to stand out because I normally stay
silent the whole time and blend in easily with the crowd, so in a
million years, you will never have the chance to notice me at all. lol
I only start forming myself as a unique stand when I see my good
friends in public. There, I tend to open myself up more often and
thanks to their help and comfortability they bring alongside with them,
I get to climb out of my shell at times, even when it becomes
unsuspectable I suppose - **Snickers** and I do surprise a lot of
people when they see me for who I am. Yes, I can be a very talkative
individual, and yes, I love to bring humor to the table and strike an
interesting yet though-provoking discussion if I would like to at
times, but I have to know the person whom I am talking to first very
well, so I can bring things up that draws their attention. As for
approaching people, I'm not really the approachable type - I'm more of
the laid-back type of person who doesn't really like to be involved in
a one-on-one interaction quite often - mostly especially towards a
stranger - but in a group talk with my good old friends - I'm there!
lol - I may be the quiet type, but I do say a couple random hellos to a
few friendly faces. I can ignore people very well in public, but that's
for another story, another time, as usual.

hehe... i suppose celessa and i are similar in this matter...

at times i get shy... especially towards new people...
but i get really talktative when i'm with my friends...

stepping up on the podium isn't really a big deal... and... well... i actually enjoy it... ;)

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu

"A journey of a thousand miles...
is better in a car."

Cancel

I'm afraid of that!!But unlucky I often be taken to the front of the classroom and answer the teacher's question!!=_= That's really a nightmare for me!!>.<

Try to be cool but..... Try to be easy but..... So I still do myself !!!

Cancel

my friends say I'm so confident, but I dont think so...
last week I participated in a story telling competition and my teacher said "Go crazy if you have too! because I know you can!" (she didn't think about my feeling!!!!)

Cancel

Yes i always get nervous when speaking in front of groups of people unless they are like close friends. Even if i'm prepared i'd get nervous when facing the people and tend to get all messed up. Wish i had more confidence....

snowflakez

snowflakez

yukijorou || yuki-hime

Cancel

i hate talking in front of crowds. really. if given a choice i'd never want to stand in front there and make a speech. i think the main erason is cuz i hate attracting attention the most, and when i stand in front of everybody, it feels like everybody had their attention on me. and what i'm mostly afraid of is that i'd do something stupid and only make a fool of myself. i cant stand that.

Signature

• Apr 12, 2005

Athrun

Athrun

Flying Chain Chomp

Cancel

Quote by BarbaraAre you nervous or afraid when you have to do the
presentation in front of the class?

Yes. >_<;

i sometimes just don't go, even tho it costs me a test grade. If I do go, I'm usually just staring at the paper and reading very... quickly...

Still buying pokemon cards?
My Ebay!
Don't miss out on very rare stuff! *Japanese Shiny Krookodile*, Full Art Ho-oh EX and Elesa deck sleeves! Very hard to find and very expensive from Japanese sellers! Get them while they're at a low cost! Ending very soon!

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

Cancel

I'm awful at speaking in front of crowads. I tend to speak too fast, too quietly, and I don't make eye contact >_> . Don't like it at all.

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

SamuraiHaruko

SamuraiHaruko

Butterfly

Cancel

Yes. Of course. Yep. sure. Si. In front of a crowd...I get nervous...which causes me to hesticaly laugh [excuse my typo X3]....yes Sam laughs and laughs ....i get uncontrolable and then I strat doing idiotc stuff because ppl look at me....I always get nervous when ppl stare at me...first a smile...then I blush...then the laughing..Thumbs up I say! ho ho ho ho! but I can make my mind wander and so I kinda forget the fact I'm being watched b/c I'm in my own little world ho ho ho

Magically Delicious, yo.

page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next » 172 total items

Back to Body, Mind & Fashion | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.