Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What genre of music affected you most? - Minitokyo

What genre of music affected you most?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 36 total items

OracleAngel

Retired Moderator

OracleAngel

-... de lovbot-

How do i start? Lets see i just wanted to know what music genre affected you as a person either in the past or right here and now. Like all music in mainstream Grunge made the younge generations have a new voice, Hip hop have a voice of the streets while Rap was another way of showing the corruption...Music even changed political aspects thats why we have "Rock the vote" so all in all everything we do in life doesnt exclude music but absorbs it to make a new product of itself.

I myself have been exposed to the grunge and some Old Hip Hop setting and now im more into the classical or Opera/alternative and Indie/Punk which now is starting to take its toll.
So as i was saying in these questions?

1. What music Genre affected you as a person either past or right now?

2. Does music take a part in your way of living life or is it just another minor setback?

3. IF your a musician yourself or with a band ...how do you think music affects people and as a musician do you even care what your music portrays?

P.s. If this was made already then i am sorry and for the mods and admin just close and delete the posts if there are... >_>

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Quote by OracleAngel1. What music Genre affected you as a person either past or right now?

J-Pop has been my life from the get-go. I was raised to listen to some North American music when I was very little, but over time, as I got older, I started subjecting it and turning somewhere else. I found my answer back in the year 2000 I suppose - the might introduction of the talented Miss Mai Kuraki. I know - Ayumi should have been first, but that's what got me into it while I was in Japan back then. I actually approached J-Pop through the roots of its origins - not anime-related of course. The discovery is there.

**Nods** The music, the rhythm - the lyrics, the meanings - that is what really made me appreciate J-Pop even as of today - the wonderful effort that falls from within. If you understand Japanese deeply and truly like I do, you'll know how it feels. **Nods**

Quote by OracleAngel2. Does music take a part in your way of living life or is it just
another minor setback?

Yes, I actually listen to music while I do my homework, and sometimes while I'm at work, but that was back in the past, about last year - I tend to listen to them through a portable MP3 player. Yaya! Without music - it would be pretty dull, and when it isn't actually around, you can't fully express who you are just by not listening to it, really. Music is the key to your soul, as I heard before from a good friend of mine. I totally believe in that quote as well, and it is a glimpse - a window to who you really are, sometimes.

Quote by OracleAngel3. IF your a musician yourself or with a band ...how do you think music
affects people and as a musician do you even care what your music portrays?

I can't answer this question. I do play the violin well - but I'm not aiming to be a musician. I dance to the music - dancing is where my real talent lies. **Nods**

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

Sigourney

Sigourney

perfectAssassin

Hmmm... I supose everything started with gothic/rock/metal music few years ago ^_^'... little bits of punk from time to time... and now it's music in general... all genres... everything that I find worth listening to... irish, classical, rock, punk, gothic, metal, j-music, hh, rap, r&b, techno, club, funk, even sometimes pop... everything XD;;...

The second question... yeah, it's a big part of my daily life... it makes me draw and write... it helps me sleep... a day without music is a worthless day for me ^_^'... <- if I can put it that way...

Signature Image
Showtaro Morikubo-sama~<333

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

I shall only answer the first and second as I don't play an instrument.

1 - Overally, I think some of my old rock has affected me the most. It's what I listened to when I first started getting into music and I still listen to it just now although not as much. My tastes have changed a bit since then, but I still appreciate a nice bit of 80s rock ^^ .

2 - I tend to listen to my music when I'm browsing the internet and talking to people online. I don't tend to listen while I'm working because I prefer to concentrate, but sometimes I do but just with the volume down low.

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

Rock has gotten me out of many periods of depression...any genre of the many rock there are. Music actually plays a VERY big part in my life, I can't go more than 50 minutes at a time without listening to music...I carry more than 10 CDs, a CD player and a bunch of batteries. Also I know quite a bit about rock..if there is a 15 year old who knows more about rock than me I would truly be impressed... XP. I am also a musician myself, I play the guitar...and I play music because I like to, I don't expect people to like it and don't expect them to pay...I don't wanna make money from my music, because then it becomes my job...and music is my passion not m job.

Signature Image

OracleAngel

Retired Moderator

OracleAngel

-... de lovbot-

I play an instrument but im just amatuer on it...Piano is the way to become more of an enlightened artist and in a way i made 2 good compostions out the practices in perfecting it though i have to write it down sometime....>_>

Quote by SharinganKnightI carry more than 10 CDs, a CD player and a bunch of batteries. Also I know quite a bit about rock..if there is a 15 year old who knows more about rock than me I would truly be impressed... XP.

Thats crazy i carry more than that like 20 or so more but a girl from my class beat me too it....cos she has like 50 more in her collection but she just brings 1/3rd of the stuff she listens too so i cant beat that... T_T

Quote by Celessa I can't answer this question. I do play the violin well - but I'm not aiming to be a musician. I dance to the music - dancing is where my real talent lies. **Nods**

Your a dancer? so am i but not the 100% breakdancer or cool moves type..More of a ballroom dancer cos my parents are graduate teachers of that.... and i got hooked on it... :P

Quote by Aa-chan
1 - Overally, I think some of my old rock has affected me the most. It's what I listened to when I first started getting into music and I still listen to it just now although not as much. My tastes have changed a bit since then, but I still appreciate a nice bit of 80s rock ^^ .

Man got to love oldies, 80's rock and far back down to memory lane cos i used to hear that too....Dad use to open the radio everytime i wake up of theres some Karaoke party... :)

Quote by OracleAngelI play an instrument but im just amatuer on it...Piano is the way to
become more of an enlightened artist and in a way i made 2 good
compostions out the practices in perfecting it though i have to write
it down sometime....&gt;_&gt;

Quote by SharinganKnightI carry more than
10 CDs, a CD player and a bunch of batteries. Also I know quite a bit
about rock..if there is a 15 year old who knows more about rock than me
I would truly be impressed... XP.

Thats crazy i carry more than that like 20 or so more but a girl from
my class beat me too it....cos she has like 50 more in her collection
but she just brings 1/3rd of the stuff she listens too so i cant beat
that... T_T

lol, the thing is that my CD player can play MP3s so I burn data CDs with like 300 or so songs...heh....10x300=3000songs O.O

lol ;)

Signature Image

Kidder

Kidder

we are fighting dreamers

1. I'd say Rock influenced me the most because I met most of my closest friends due to our interests in music. However I also have to say that classical music played an important role too. Having been brought up with classical music training I learnt to appreciate songs not just for their catchy tunes but the musicianship involved in writing and performing the songs.

Edit: hahaha i just read what I wrote... inflated ego desu! xp

2. Music used be a large part of my life before I started university because I was a member of 3 orchestras (playing piano and trumpet), one rock band (drummer) and I also taught piano. I used to really enjoy drumming for my band because we were all really good friends were all into the same music (ratm, Foo Fighters, Incubus). Unfortunately I haven't really gotten back into performing since I started university... I've joined a new band briefly but we haven't practised since christmas due to budget constraints and clashing schedules. *Sigh*....

Signature
a big thank you to k1ru for the sweet siggy.

Join Gekkostate now! MT's only Eureka 7 fan group!

1) As a violinist, classical music has had a massive impact in my life. I find it a shame that works of art that have had years of thought, effort, and pain put into them get dismissed so easily because they don't have "beat" or a "catchy tune".

Strangely, filk has also been quite the influence in the last few years. Yes, filk. Such beautiful music! Its nice to hear something so completely different from mainstream anything, yet still so lyrical. I've had Snow Magic by Mercedes Lackey and Heather Alexander stuck in my head for DAYS.

And, thanks to having ancient parents, music before the 60s is a must. Blue Eyes can fly me to the moon any day.

I like music that's been written from the heart. I am well aware that most music has been written for the sake of money, but somehow... it didn't feel like that as much the farther back in time you go. You _know_ it when you hear it. The music stays with you.

2) Music isn't so much a part of living life as a constant state of being. :laugh: Other than Philharmonic, its not something I put consious thought into, other than hunting the interent to find Gackt's latest single or maybe a piece by Dvorak we're playing in Phil. Music just is.

3) As a musician, and a classical one at that, I feel that you have to put all your being into what you're playing or your listeners just won't get what you're trying to say. It is VERY important that you make your audience feel with you. Schubert's Unfinished Symphony done right can make you cry.

1-techno rock XD
gets me into a trance with its awesome beats
then gets me hyped with the awesome guitar and drums
its so crazy

2-well i sleep with the music on
thats the only way i can dream in my sleep
plus i like having background music in my dreams XD
wakes me up with a refreshed mind

3-as a musician its a duty to use your awesome jams
to inspire the mind of just give ppl something to lay back
and relax too...just something to help get you through the day

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

thecatmistress

thecatmistress

the cat`s meow

i`d have to say instrumental, rock, hip-pop, jazz, j-pop, r and b, and soul

Signature Image
my user page made by k1ru ^^
COLOFULL WALLIES!

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Instrumental has had the most emotional impact on me. If I'm upset, I play my soothing instrumentals, and, yes, I even make instrumentals as most of you already know. I care not for a lot of rap music; that has absolutely no impact on my life.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

1. Well I like ALL music! I think every kind of music has there own ups and downs. But I really like to listen to r&b.

2. I really like music!!! I mean... A LOT! It's something that keeps me happy. If I'm feeling bad that day all what I gotta do is pop in a fav CD and there you go! Back to happy Alisha!

3. I think music really affects the kind of person you are. Sometimes you can tell what kind of person you are through music. It also can bring you through emotions. It can make you feel sad, happy or even anything between!

...uhm...let's see...well...the Halo compositions (Techno)...and Scott Westerfeld's works (Dance, Rave)...have caught my thoughts...
I...would say...that it would be a part of my life...since...well...it sets emotion.

levezzali

levezzali

Purge Existence

Well, I dunno if it fits the thread, but well...

1 - Well, I think without the music my life would be boring, but after I stoped listening tho Linkin Park (I like very much, but it sort of disencanted me after this record with JayZ) I've been much funnier and felt not that hopeless... But I guess that after I also got back on J-pop I got lot more excited about things, and somehow more active...

2 - everytime I listen to evanescence I get depressed, so I tend to listen just 1 or 2 songs of them... And besides music helps me draw a lot, because if I am listening to some sort of music like heavy metal or rock I tend to draw action stuff better, but if I listen to the J-pop songs I have the drawings get much more movement and happines pinted on them... like smiling people, or funny poses

3 - Hm... I tried once in a band as vocals, but did't work out because of certain people in the band who disliked me, so after that (like, almost 1 year ago) I stopped with this idea and focused on the art I've always been into: doujinshi, but as answered earlier, the music is a great part of my life.... and I want to learn to play violin!

Purified Existence of a Lost Soul

... ok ... I am not a that serious person !! XD

Skillzpay

Skillzpay

Graduated Magna Cum Laude!

Hmm...although I listen to a lot of trance and house with the typical riffs, breaks, and build ups, I've got to say progressive trance has probably had the biggest effect on me simply because I've heard a lot more songs under this subgrenre with meaningful lyrics, accompanied by effective melodies, that I've been able to somehow relate to or implement into my lifestyle.

for me the biggest genre was probably grunge rock and the early rock of the 90s. to be more general rock is the main category that effected me but grunge is the subcategory that most of my listening comes from. bands such as pearl jam, alice in chains, smashing pumpkins, and bush were some of the first groups i started listening to. NIN which isnt grunge but came out of the same time period is the one group that influenced me the most. recently in the past year ive been heavily getting into soundtracks, specifically movies. composers such as ennio morricone, hans zimmer, and joe hisaishi are some of the ones i listen to heavily.

akari-chan

akari-chan

59 luv XD

J-pop/rock ruulzzz!^_^

Signature
*~Latest Submissions~*:
{Relaxation}{Melancholic Yuki}{Basil}{Potemayo}

snx

snx

Mr K.

Okee dookie :D
1st I'm most in rock, but generally in everything from alternative 2 death metal [but not gothic].
But not only - 4 ex. I like Cypress Hill [etc. NIN, Coma, Thy Disease, Radiohead ... bla bla]
2ndly music in my life - mooding me, filling up the silence, giving me inspiration.
3rdly Once, my vocal was used in a band :D [strong growls etc.] Also I can play piano - and it cans make people happier or set in mood.
That's all folks :P

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

ayanechan

ayanechan

- lost existence -

i say, affected me most.. hmm.. new age maybe.. it somehow manages to get me up and going after i've hit rock bottom.. and i could never forget the moment i jumped into anime.. it opened my eyes to more music.. like listening to song that i hardly know whats the meaning unless i look it up for translated lyrics.. but as i've thought to myself many times, music is a language of it's own.. so no matter what language the song is sang in, it's understandable in many ways :3

Signature

markjo

markjo

a bookworm & a film buff

I guess it was hardcore techno, something like 15 years earlier. It has just started to develop as a kind of music, and I, being in my teenage years, hooked on it because of German MTV. I changed my favourite kinds of music a few times from then, though still I like to listen to ambient or house music sometimes.

Darkbeat

Darkbeat

Eternal Purifier

1. Meh not really though it sometimes affects my mood or the way I react. I tend to listen to sad music or slow themes when I feel depressed. So it's more like my mood affects the music I listen to, but the music doesn't affect me as a person.

2. It's nice to listen to music when doing homework or when I'm bored. Nothing big really.

Signature

1. What music Genre affected you as a person either past or right now?
It was in the past. I was mostly affected by love songs. I know I know its not a genre but all kind of love songs I hear my mom listen to everyday when I was younger affected me. How? I don't really know how but I guess I got a lil more into romantic stuff [when I was younger...but still today =P)like watching soap operas. And it made me sing in kareokes too. =)

2. Does music take a part in your way of living life or is it just another minor setback?
Music to me is really important. When I have the right move in and all, I'd gladly listen to music....almost any type I think. Mostly Soft Rock, R&B Hip-Hop, Pop, Rock and such and such.

3. IF your a musician yourself or with a band ...how do you think music affects people and as a musician do you even care what your music portrays?
I don't really know yet. I never thought of it. But if I do become one I do care what my music relfects to other people. I want to be one of those who they can use as a model or an inspiration.

Naota85

Naota85

~A Regulator~

Quote by Alisha1. Well I like ALL music! I think every kind of music has there own ups
and downs. But I really like to listen to r&amp;b.
2. I really like music!!! I mean... A LOT! It's something that keeps me
happy. If I'm feeling bad that day all what I gotta do is pop in a fav
CD and there you go! Back to happy Alisha!
3. I think music really affects the kind of person you are. Sometimes
you can tell what kind of person you are through music. It also can
bring you through emotions. It can make you feel sad, happy or even
anything between!

Preety much what she said but but for the record rap is the genre so if any thing this is the opposite way around

Quote by OracleAngel Hip hop have a voice of the streets while Rap was another way of
showing the corruption...
;

but yea the rap genre has affected me the most for certaian people is affects the way they live but not me. It has got me outta some hard times and it probably will continue to get me outta hard times. I listen too alot of 90's rap cuz thats when i was growing up and thats when a lot of infulental rap took place i lisen also to r&b too.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 36 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.