Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Poll: Diversity or Unity? - Minitokyo

Poll: Diversity or Unity?

page 1 of 1 20 total items

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Approved by biri after first thread contained an error.

Do you think it is better to be part of a diverse community or is it better to be part of a unified community?

I think it is better to be part of a diversified community because I would be able to learn about the cultures of other people and how they go about their everyday businesses. I don't want to have to restrict myself to being in a unified community because I may learn the ways of a unified community too fast and then I wouldn't be able to adjust to diverse communities as quick as I could.

Lincoln University in Pennsylvania is a perfect example. 96 percent of the campus is black, and the other 4 percent are other races. If the vast majority of the people are of one race, then I won't be learning that much, and, not to offend anyone, the things that are being learned outside of the classes are not good, and the things being learned in my classes is unnecessary for my major, but that is a whole different subject. However, if I transfer to Illinois State University, I know I will be in a more diverse community, and there is no absolute majority on one culture or race.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Racial Diversity is a very good/important thing. ....I've heard that guys tend to do better without girls in the classroom. ...Something about distraction... ...Personally, I think it makes for a more well-rounded experience. :d

i think there should be some segregation though. ...Not along ethinic or gender or other typical lines... ...Rather, I think it's good to keep folks that are serious about their education in "serious" schools, and those who aren't in other appropriate systems. ....It seems the academic system seems to do this anyways somehow, which is somthing I think is really cool. ....Of course, doing so may make a person a little less well-rounded... ...But then again... ...I really don't know what I'm talking about. :D

kai81220

kai81220

anti Nobunaga

hmm i prefer racial diversity. my old school was in a predominantly minority area and in my english class, there were only 2 caucasian. 4 blacks and the rest, about 23 were asian, mostly chinese.
my new school, im the only minority in my class, and its so ironic to hear them talking about stats saying by year 2015, toronto will have the miniorities be the majority. but where i used to live, its already happened.

in your case, as a white, you should learn how its feels to be a minoirty instead of going on about diverse and stuff. how do you think minorities feel when they move into the US? completely singled out cause they dont look alike. eventually theyll be assimilated and then they become white on the inside. that happens because the american society is like a culture shock for all other races.
this is not a generalization, it is the truth as viewed from outside the US.

my cousins live there and they have completely lost their identity. some dont even know how to speak chinese. but 2 live in northern states and thank god they still have mandarin classes there.

at least in canada, we all get treated with diginity and we are able to retain or heritage. don't get me wrong, racism still happens here, but since it is an accepting society, we've been able to keep tradition and stuff alive.

the textbook answer would be diverse is better cause people get to have inter culture communication and stuff.

but from my own experince, my new school, there is less racism cause there are bascially no other people to segregate. my old school, everyone hung out with there own culture and there were some gaps between different cultures.
its difficult to say but im split on the issue, leaning toward diverese XD

no insult, but caucasian people won't really understand this because they are never the targets for racism. its the sad truth but i can fully believe that the majority races can not fully say they know this issue because it just doesnt happen. unless you move to china or a place were your not a majority.

of course i wouldnt expect you or any person of the majority (white) to understand this because it is coming from a person who is a minority. to fully know this issue, you would have to be one, which is impossible

Signature

akari-chan

akari-chan

59 luv XD

I definitely agree with you melmachine. Diversity lets us learn about other ppl's customs and cultures.

Signature
*~Latest Submissions~*:
{Relaxation}{Melancholic Yuki}{Basil}{Potemayo}

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

I say both; unity gives everyone a sense of belonging (marching band!!! w00t! lol) and diversity allows use to have a sense of individuality so we can learn about ourselves and one another.

Another way of looking at it; unity means everyone's a follower, and diversity means everyone's a leader. no one, and this goes for every single human on this earth, can be a good leader without being a good follower. that's why it's so important to have both in society.

in the classroom though, I think diversity would be the best route to go; I find it impossible to learn with boys in the room, because there's bound to be some hot guy in the far corner (whether he's jock or not) and as a general rule, all the girls watch him instead of the teacher. it's the same with guys; if there's an attractive girl (most certainly not me, cuz I don't dress like the other girls) in the room, all the guys are too busy flirting or making sexual comments and that business. no one pays attention to the teacher in either case, so I think the co-ed classes sould be PE, music, art, anything that doesn't assign homework because the teachers in those classes (generally) don't care.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

Davo

Davo

I'll kill you

diversity ,because i learn more about moods,languages,acts,etc., in others countries :nya: :nya:

Signature Image
DAVO THE ECCHIMAKER :"If a demon stands in my way, I will cut him apart. If a saint stands in my way, I will cut him apart"

skysong

skysong

~SMS~

Ok, well, at first my vote was diversity only until i read some of what Archer said, and i agreed with a lot of it.

Quote by Archer79 I think it's good to keep folks that are serious about their education in "serious" schools, and those who aren't in other appropriate systems.

i do agree with this type of unity, putting people who really want to learn together. I see nothing wrong with that.

Quote by melmachine18I think it is better to be part of a diversified community because I would be able to learn about the cultures of other people and how they go about their everyday businesses. I don't want to have to restrict myself to being in a unified community because I may learn the ways of a unified community too fast and then I wouldn't be able to adjust to diverse communities as quick as I could.

yeah, i agree, its nice learning about other cultures, and stepping out of your own box. That way you can find how much you really have in common with many other people :)

Signature

I think it is realistic to say that most people tend to belong to a "diverse" group, rather than the other one.

Quote by melmachine18Approved by biri after first thread contained an error.
Do you think it is better to be part of a diverse community or is it better to be part of a unified community?
I think it is better to be part of a diversified community because I would be able to learn about the cultures of other people and how they go about their everyday businesses. I don't want to have to restrict myself to being in a unified community because I may learn the ways of a unified community too fast and then I wouldn't be able to adjust to diverse communities as quick as I could.
Lincoln University in Pennsylvania is a perfect example. 96 percent of the campus is black, and the other 4 percent are other races. If the vast majority of the people are of one race, then I won't be learning that much, and, not to offend anyone, the things that are being learned outside of the classes are not good, and the things being learned in my classes is unnecessary for my major, but that is a whole different subject. However, if I transfer to Illinois State University, I know I will be in a more diverse community, and there is no absolute majority on one culture or race.

I agree with you. It's so fun to learn about other cultures and different people. If it would be unified community I would learn things very fast and it would be boring.
Diversified is much better! :D

Signature
Member of: ~Make a friend~ ~Serenity~ ~Japanese~ ~FinalFantasyFans~
I'll see you all around, people! :D

Kiako

Kiako

the shadow

i say diversity.
i think that there isn't any point in asking a question like that.

:hmpf: diversity that way we can learn but you have got to have some unity in there some where.

Oh $hit!!! Sorry! I thought you ment "unity" by working together! Aww crap...

But anyway I change my vote to diversity. Sorry but I thought you ment "unity" by something else...

I def have to go with diversity. You can totally learn something new from other people that are different then you are... And sometimes change is good...

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

Quote by kai81220
no insult, but caucasian people won't really understand this because
they are never the targets for racism. its the sad truth but i can
fully believe that the majority races can not fully say they know this
issue because it just doesnt happen. unless you move to china or a
place were your not a majority.
of course i wouldnt expect you or any person of the majority (white)
to understand this because it is coming from a person who is a
minority. to fully know this issue, you would have to be one, which is
impossible

you almost make me feel sorry to be caucasian... maybe if i could still claim that small drop of Native blood i have... but nah, too far away in our family tree i guess... :\

anyways, i'd say diversity because not only you learn to the contact of different people, culture, beliefs, languages and so on... but you also learn tolerance, and respect... it's also a way of reaching a certain unity, through differences.. that is, a common peace...

unity can be good up to a certain point, as i said above, it can help avoid some conflicts due to differences, but if we talk about total unity, that is, the type where everyone has to do the same things, follow each other... well, to me, it's more like a community of sheeps, following one another without trying to get out of the mold... it's a little boring, and predictable... there's no fun in everyone looking the same, doing the same things...

just my way of thinking...

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by AlishaOh $hit!!! Sorry! I thought you ment "unity" by working together! Aww
crap...
But anyway I change my vote to diversity. Sorry but I thought you ment
"unity" by something else...
I def have to go with diversity. You can totally learn something new
from other people that are different then you are... And sometimes
change is good...

Heh. ...I did that on the first thread too. :( But I didn't feel sooo bad since "both" wasn't an option yet. ...Needless to say I would prefer to change that vote too....

diversity______
wat wud spice things up if dere aint no difference among da peeps?

FyeTsukishiro

FyeTsukishiro

Hikaru Hoshi Shooting Star

Well, I agree with you because in a diverse community you can learn a lot from your mates, you can learn another languaje, another tradition, you can make a lot of friends and also you can learn to love your own community .

YugureKaze

YugureKaze

The Lost Wanderer

Quote by melmachine18Approved by biri after first thread contained an error.

i agree with you because i love learning about other cultures and a lot of languages out there are so interesting, i would also like to learn about all the holidays and traditions that they stick too
my school isn't too diverse though...50% white, 30% asian, and then the last 20% are small amounts of other races...

bbls

bbls

Lazy days...

i think diversity and unity both have a place in society. i agree with all of you that diversity allows us to learn about other cultures, beliefs, etc. i think without diversity and the incorporation of different ideas, society would become stagnant and wouldn't be rich in cultural variety.

but unity also has a place...my hawaiian history professor pointed out to us that if the american indians weren't given their reservations/own government within a government status and separated from the rest of america, their culture and lifestyle might have been so dilluted. that is occuring with the native hawaiian population here...pure blooded hawaiians are dwindling and they fear that their culture is being forgotten by the new generation of hawaiians and part hawaiians. so, perhaps unity is beneficial for minority groups who benefit by staying together and perserving their way of life.

sorry, i rambled on so much.. ^_^'

Don't worry about tomorrow, don't think about yesterday,
don't live in the future, just make it through today!

Signature Image

VagrantDreamer

VagrantDreamer

Daydreaming ...

Personally i think a diverse coupled with a unified commmunity would be the most beneficial. not only would u get to learn new cultures, traditions and etc, but u have a common link with the other people within ur own unified community, thus creating nationalism and such

Sira

Sira

Sira Keogh Lombard

todo debe estar divesificado algjas veces unido para voilverse mas fuerte, si estamos divericifiac, y no unidos, somo presas faciles de los depredadores

Todo depende de uno

"Miembro de: [Hispanime]"
"Miembro de: [Ecchi-club]"

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.