Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 what makes a good wallpaper? - Minitokyo

what makes a good wallpaper?

page 1 of 1 15 total items

i'm not sure if something like this has been posted, but i really want to improve my skills in walling, so i'm just asking for advice from you guys... what do you think makes a good wallie?

to me, i guess it's the atmosphere... a wallie should give you a strong sense of place and emotion. ^^

Signature Image
latest wall::feathers and such [Kingdom Hearts II]; previous wall::samurai poses [Samurai Champloo];
proud member of::The UnderAppreciated; Bleach; ChrnoCrusade; Journey-To-The-West; Silver-Rhythm;

Cronax

Cronax

If only...

I agree. It doesn't matter if you used great techniques, if it looks like sh*t then it's not a good wall...similarly, I believe you don't have to use a lot of technique to make a good wall...sometimes simplicity is far better!

Signature
Personal website: Daerin.net | My DeviantArt gallery |
My latest wallpaper | Working on: Nothing currently
Member of: Samurai | Ecchi-club | Japanese

How to make a good wallpaper IMO
Ingredients:

1 cup of meaning
2 tbsp of a nice atmosphere
4 cups of emotion
3 teaspoons of inspiration
a pinch of passion, a dash of style, and a spoonful of originality.
Innate talent and experience for taste

Other ingredients may be used.

i have yet to make a good wallie but keeping those in mind, I hope that I could make a good one some time. Good luck for you kakitsubata!

Latest wallpaper: I'm Still Waiting

ocelotisun

ocelotisun

SpiritedAway

Hey there... kakitsubata ...

Quote by kakitsubata i guess it's the atmosphere... a wallie should give you a strong
sense of place and emotion. ^^

I think I couldn't have said it better... That's the first thing I look in to a wallapaper... The way if make me feels and the 'message' it's trying to pass... What the person who did it... Is trying to accomplish... :) ... When I do a wallpaper... I always try to have a theme... To have a message to pass... To accomplish some sort of feeling in the person who is watching it... I guess... That is already a big part in the process of doing a wallpaper... The concept of it... Not only for wallpapers... But for any kind of art... I really don't see a point in have this great design... If you aren't trying to accomplish anything with it... Be it to the 'viewer' or just a artistic grow in knowledge ... It can be a awesome piece of art... But it won't be as good in my opinion as one who has a great design and a strong atmosphere in it...
So there you go... :) ... My two cents... :D ...

soujiokita

soujiokita

Super Kawaii

I'm not sure cuz I never made one. But I think if you put a lot of effort and hard work in it your wallie will turn out nice.

Quote by CronaxI agree. It doesn't matter if you used great techniques, if it looks like sh*t then it's not a good wall...similarly, I believe you don't have to use a lot of technique to make a good wall...sometimes simplicity is far better!

Yeah, simple walls are always nice too, they may look plain, but they have their own way of standing out.

Signature
My LJ
currently not[/not] accepting avatar/sig/graphic requests

Frosty

Frosty

: One Luv :

woo good question. :) this is what I think.. for a desktop wall.. the simple and clear looking ones are always te best ones in my option, I mean come on, who wana have a picture thats all over the place and really busy looking for a bg... X_x maybe is great as a piece of art, but not great for some body's bg on a computer thats already full of icons and what nots. XP

Signature

bluSake

Retired Moderator

bluSake

Quote by kaiser47Ingredients:
1 cup of meaning
2 tbsp of a nice atmosphere
4 cups of emotion
3 teaspoons of inspiration
a pinch of passion, a dash of style, and a spoonful of originality.
Innate talent and experience for taste
Other ingredients may be used.

Love the way he puts. Though I would go heavier on the atmosphere. It's like the story of the sculptor who says that the sculpture is in stone: he's just there to chisel off the excess. Every image has it's own atmosphere, and the waller is just there to bring it out. Designing a wall should be like a chemical reaction to the image, not to every PS tutorial the waller has seen. Meaningless excess should be chiselled off.

Signature Image
Last walls - [The Lotus] for xxxHolic || [Amano Couture] for Yoshitaka Amano
Groups - [Aspiring Mafia] [NewWaveProject] || [Straw-Hat-Pirates] [Simple-ism]

Malthus

Professor

Less planets! Don't follow the crowd!
I suppose a slightly clearer way of puttin' it (in case such a blunt statement is UNclear) if you like what it is you're doing with something then stick with it. Number one is that you enjoy what you create. And that IS important because if you do what YOU like and disregard what others might, oddly enough, you'll find you make great wallpapers and so will everyone else.
....if...that...makes sense to you ^ ^;;;

Signature Image

Cataclysm

Cataclysm

Shadows of nothing

I think the best thing for a wallpaper is for it to have emotion and feeling in it, if it's uninspired or without emotion it doesn't really appeal to me.

Tatsumi09

Tatsumi09

Seeker of Inner Peace

A good wallpaper is one that is:
1) Not too bright (I tend to never use white wallpapers...they hurt my eyes)
2) the left portion of the wallpaper should allow the icons to be visible (or else I can't see my icons)
3) Have a "mysterious" atmosphere or feeling.

IMO, numbers 1 and 2 have to be met first, because without them I would never use the wallpaper, no matter how amazing it is.

Vinitachi

Vinitachi

Azndude

As you said atmosphere. Also it should have room for icons and is balanced in color. Too much contrast is bad imo.
For my desktop, I like roon for desktop. I don't want to block the image of the person/important things.

Learning little by little.
Signature

Quote by CronaxI agree. It doesn't matter if you used great techniques, if it looks like sh*t then it's not a good wall...similarly, I believe you don't have to use a lot of technique to make a good wall...sometimes simplicity is far better!

No, technique is integral in making a good wall. A wallpaper with good technique will always look good and never like shit. Simplicity is technique as well (:

a good wallpaper, however, always requires effort. As long as a wall took effort and looks well-made on the desktop then it's a good wall. I've seen walls that looks beautiful as images but horrible on the desk >.<

Signature Image

Duuz

Duuz

Master of Disaster

I think it's very open to interpretation. Just because some people think it's great does not mean it will thought of the same for every one. That's the problem with a subjective art. You can't satisfiy every one.

I say try several different versions of it on your own desk top to see how it looks best.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

Adding to my earlier post, I would also like to say that a wallpaper is what you think of it. Something good can never come out if you don't think of it as something beautiful.

Also, you must think about those who would use your wallpaper. Moving most of the important scenes to the left would make some wallpapers unusable for some people since most of the icons are on the left side of the desktop. Some people just don't want to change their computer usage just for a single wallie. Making it easy for the eyes would also be nice. :)

Latest wallpaper: I'm Still Waiting

Cronax

Cronax

If only...

Quote by kaiser47 Making it easy for the eyes would also
be nice. :)

Good one...I guess most if not all really good wallpapers have a limited amount of contrast, and colours that aren't too extreme...a wallpaper is something you're going to be looking at a lot, so if it's too "busy" you'll switch quite fast...

Signature
Personal website: Daerin.net | My DeviantArt gallery |
My latest wallpaper | Working on: Nothing currently
Member of: Samurai | Ecchi-club | Japanese

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.