Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Screen goes black - Minitokyo

Screen goes black

page 1 of 1 9 total items

DakX

DakX

Inactivity strikes again

Ok for some time now i got a problem with my screen. Sometimes when I use it it just goes black. It is not turned off or anything like that its just black like it whore off but its on because the light is still on and i did not touch it. It really wierd cuz i happens for no reason (atleast i can't think of one). Just today it happend again. I had turned of my screen for power savings while I was downloading a game. So when i got back i pressed the button and hit a key on my keyboard to make it active again. But it was black so pressed and pressed. But nothing happend. So i had no other choise then to reset it. I wasted a download of 5 hours on that so if any one here know a way to fix this or any thing else please tell me. I will be thankfull for ever if you could help me.

Please excuse but my english isn't very wel but I am still learning.

Mad-Hat

Mad-Hat

Organizer of 4.17 TB

Does it go black while you're using it or after you have left it alone for a while? It could be the Power Saving settings on the computer turning off the video feed, sometimes it takes more than just a tap on the keyboard to make it comeback on. Plz list OS and Video Card

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world,
The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

DakX

DakX

Inactivity strikes again

It goes back when i am not using it.
Video card: nvidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
Latest drivers has been installed. How can i make it come back then if thats the problem?

Odysseus

Odysseus

Still searching...

Do you leave any programs running while your not using it? (And I'm talking about larger programs, not things like MSN,Yahoo,or any other messenger) Well if it doesn't come back by hitting any keys or moving the mouse, you could try making the computer run or switch to some program.
I once had a problem similar with a program that conflicted with the screensaver program and the screen wold just go black and it didn't wake up. I would usually do an CTRL ALT Delete to force it to bring up that status window which would usually snap it out of it. You could try that, or as Mad hat said it could be a Powersaving setting thing. Perhaps a glitch? You might try turning off the powersaver settings or screensaver.

DakX

DakX

Inactivity strikes again

Hmm it happes most off the time when i am scanning for virussus or downloading something with firefox. It never happens while its in safe mode. And where can i see this powersaver thing? My screensaver isn't on becuz off some program that crashed by it, i will put it back on. *puts it back on*.
Ok if you can tell me something about that powersaver then I will take a look at that to.
Thx anyway for al your anwsers already

Mad-Hat

Mad-Hat

Organizer of 4.17 TB

Ihe Powersaving settings are at the bottom of the screensaver tab. You should have options like turn off monitor, power down hard drives, and system standby. Just set them to never, that's what I usually do. Also I would upgrade to Windows XP, 98 was good for it's time but XP has better driver support, better plug-and-play, and few if any memory leaks.

DakX

DakX

Inactivity strikes again

Good idea i have been thinking about that aswell. Cuz my os is really fucked up. Its more rebooting then normal shuting down. I found that power saver and i have put them both to never so i hope its fixed now. Thx for al the idea's and i will let you know if it dind't help but i think it will. I will soon open a 2e topic about me upgradig to Win xP. So if you could give your opinion there to that would be great.

Quote by Mad-HatIhe Powersaving settings are at the bottom of the screensaver tab. You should have options like turn off monitor, power down hard drives, and system standby. Just set them to never, that's what I usually do.

I strongly agree with this suggestion. This is the correct thing to do. This is the cuase of your problems.

Quote by Mad-HatAlsoI would upgrade to Windows XP, 98 was good for it's time but XP has better driver support, better plug-and-play, and few if any memory leaks.

And I strongly disagree with this suggestion. WIn98SE is a much better choice than winXP. There are numerous reasons why NOT to upgrade to WInXP.

First, WinXP Does have security whole and problems. Even there service pack updates have been very questionnable. See the Slashdot article. Second, hands down that if you upgrade your OS, your hardare will be obsolete. You'd be better off purchasing a $500 machine from the local department store. Third, finally, if you still want to upgrade, I'd choose win2000 pro. Not XP. but if you must get XP, get XP pro, not Home edition.

If you think you need a better machine becuse yours is slow, maybe you just need to format and reload. No joke. No tech I've known seems to know why, but you have to format and reload a windows system about once every year in order to reset it. No matter how clean you keep it, it always needs to get formated :(

Onto the orginal problem, power saving is not a software glitch, but a electronical misconception. It was desgined to be an alternative to saving battery life on laptops, not intended to be the environmentaist answer to a cleaner, less polutant world. If your interested to "why" details, ask me about it or look it up on the web. I'm just too lazy to go into detail right now, so just take my word for it, power saving on the desktop is not compatible, 90% of the time.

"May the aquisition of wealth no longer be your driving force." - freshblueO2

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish." - Mother Teresa

Mad-Hat

Mad-Hat

Organizer of 4.17 TB

98 was a good OS but I do not like fat32, and it's not as plug-and-play as 2000 and x.p.
x.p. is also a bit more user friendly than 2000 so that's why I suggest it, but if he has been installing 98 and getting it running himself then 2000 would be no problem. I'm not going back to 98 because I question game compatability and I refuse to give up my NTFS ACLs. I would do 2000 but I'm not to sure of it's game compatability because I know most games are being developed for X.P. systems, and plus I have free legal X.P. Pro. :)

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.