Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Who is the best video game villan? - Minitokyo

Who is the best video game villan?

page 1 of 1 15 total items

CopyMaster

CopyMaster

:: STATUS: Logged Out ::

Sure, antagonists are important casts of almost every game; (maybe excluding racing games) but I'd like to know; among all the video game villans known so far, who is the best?

I'll start off with my own opinion. All in all, my favourite antagonist would be the Ex-SOILDER commander of FF VII, the great one-winged angel Sephiroth! He has cool demeanour, creepy in his own rights, packs a wallop with his long-sword, Masamune, and Supernova is my fave' summon spell. (I luv it when the other planets go KABLOOEY!)
His character design rocks as well; black & white, two conflicting but great colours to be combined together.

So, with that, what about yours?
P.S. (Sorry if anyone started this topic before; I typed the topic in the search engine and found no results)

MAX//Copy II ~ Its' all about Transcendence...
Signature
BEAT HIM! BEAT HIM GOOD!

same here, sephiroth.
But i though you misspelled final fantasy 7 as 12.

Minato

Minato

...scatter the dream...

Oh, Sephiroth, definitely...although, Sabata from Boktai was fairly interesting.

Dagoth Ur in Morrowind. He is pretty hard, and pretty cool. Or Ganon in Legend Of Zelda:OoT.

For my school Grad Yearbook this year I was voted Most Likely To: Owe you $500!
I am also learning Jiu-Jitsu.

sephiroth and albedo from xenosaga 1 and 2

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

Liquid Snake!!! Pretty old-school but he still has guns and brains to pull this one out!!!

Signature

sonryu

sonryu

DVD Box Designer

Kefka from FF6 (how many game badguys actually accomplish their goals!) Can't beat that 16 bit laugh either lol

While I agree that Sephiroth has a presence like few other villains whom I've seen, I typically find others more interesting in terms of their motivations (not that there's anything wrong with VII's iconic antagonist, mind you).

I haven't seen it pop up too too much yet - for which I'm actually greatful, lest it grow too tiresome too quickly - but I rather enjoy the Ghaleon archetype as it's developed over the years (I term it such because I see in him the roots of later characters like Krelian and Seymour and their ilk). I'm not saying it's the deepest thing ever or anything, but I at least find it more compelling personally.

Kefka, though, I thought was interesting for his raw, unabashed madness; they didn't even seem to be hiding it, from I've seen of the game, and I did kind of enjoy that. He felt a little different from the sorts to whom I'm usually accustomed.

But to generalize, the sorts of villains I typically enjoy the most are those are are complex and interesting - more like actual human beings - as opposed to those who are mindlessly evil for evil's sake (though I do think that they have their place as well). One of the things that draws me to the original (UC timeline) Gundam universe is that, once you get past the myriad anime cliches and inanities, neither side comes across (I think) as purely good or purely bad; they're some of the best approximations of real world nations that I've seen, if still very much simplified.

Solidus was also a brilliant example of this, I thought, sans the painfully forced 'history' between him and Raiden that the writers threw in at the last second; but if I understand his core motivations correctly, and what he wanted to accomplish, I'd he rooting for the guy.

The long and the short of it is that I essentially prefer antagonists who make you think a bit, and raise interesting moral questions. For me, they're far and away the most compelling.

QVOD VITA FACIMVS AETERNITATE SONABIT.

Im a major fan of Sephiroth, but i also like Riku form kingdom hearts because of his story. He didnt intentionally become a bad guy but he sort of fell into it because he wanted to help Kiri

I could never really get into Kingdom Hearts, for some reason, but Riku always did sound like a good character, from what friends told me of him. His 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions' type is a big part of what I was getting at, if not explicitly so.

In general I personally think that any villain whom one can understand and empathize with on some level is worth a hundred purposelessly evil Cobra Commanders who just want to 'rule the world' for...reasons...

That's not, however, to discount or marginalize the importance of some of our greatest literary traditions and their purely good versus purely evil themes, for many of which I gladly make exception. But I have yet to see a game that really pulls off the same sort of story with a comparable level of competence - although that medium is thousands of years younger, to be fair - and it'll probably be a while before I do.

QVOD VITA FACIMVS AETERNITATE SONABIT.

CopyMaster

CopyMaster

:: STATUS: Logged Out ::

Quote by GiltI could never really get into Kingdom Hearts, for some reason, but Riku always did sound like a good character, from what friends told me of him. His 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions' type is a big part of what I was getting at, if not explicitly so.

*nods in agreement* Riku is a bit cliqued if you ask me; a friend into an enemy and that sort.

MAX//Copy II ~ Its' all about Transcendence...
Signature
BEAT HIM! BEAT HIM GOOD!

Diablo in Diablo 2 looks real mad. That is a great villian or bady boss.

Signature

Zerotul

Zerotul

N3kO R3P1OID

Sephiroth.... wait....no....

"RIKU!" from kingdom hearts

Signature
"I'm back... and this time.... with a vengeance..... nobody shall get in my way... for i have the most powerful weapon of all... the VIBRATING SHEEP OF DEATH!"

Sephiroth hands down

Get your hands off your joystick and jump with the G-spot.
Signature

I agree with all y'all. Sephiroth. He's not only hella slick and cool but there's something about him, you just can't describe ya know?

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.