Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What do you think about drafting for war? - Minitokyo

What do you think about drafting for war?

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 57 total items

AdventChild

AdventChild

Second Rate Ninja

Drafts are a simple, yet drastic violation of human rights. If you want to have more military if the US, go to the South and grab the over patriotic red-necks (some of which are family). Personally the war is a waste of time, so therefore I can't see any acceptable reason for a draft currently.

SHURIKEN SHURIKEN

@ melmachine18: Yeah, I agree that it would be preferable if there was some way to ensure that those best suited and most willing would be drafted first, in the event of such a necessity. Even on a purely pragmatic level, they would almost certainly perform better on the whole than those who strongly object to war, military service, etc.; and on a more abstract and personal plane, I certainly would rather see those with legitimate, honest moral objections spared such things.

However, while there's sadly no real way (of which I'm aware) to ensure that, I still can't in good conscience advocate the abolishment of the Selective Service (not that I think it likely to go anywhere - I'm just speaking abstractly). Whatever others may think of me for it, it is my personal belief - be it anachronistic or no - that such an obligation is part of one's civic duty, and I feel that such a last resort is important to have in place - even if I truly and sincerely hope that it's never needed.

I'd like to qualify this, though, by saying that I'm not in any way trying to convince anyone else; everyone here's entitled to their own opinion, and I have no problem with that - I mean only to explain what I myself think and why I do.

QVOD VITA FACIMVS AETERNITATE SONABIT.

I'm real simple about this. If somebody comes into my backyard with ill intentions, I fight them off. If somebody orders me to invade somebody else's yard, I tell them to suck my weenie.

Be Free and Masturbate

Teryon

Teryon

He who invents Ultratech

Honestly, I agree with you completely. I fought long and hard about having to sign up for the draft, even though I figured they wouldnt take me anyhow because of my history of seizures. But the thought frightens me, in a way, being drafted.

Im not a brave man, in a way. I do not relish the thought of going to war because someone couldnt talk it out or whatnot, or because technology`s not advanced enough, and being blown up by IED`s, shot by snipers, or 100 other factors I cant control. I dont mind fighting, but on a level playing field, not by any idiot who can pull a trigger or wire some explosives up.

LEts not even mention the flagrant violation of my right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I am not military material, I do not take orders well, I refuse to blindly accept what Im told unless it already matches with information I have checked and confirmed. I want my right to live a long life happily, not dead at 21.

And yes, i know other people dying for my liberty is what the military is about. I respect military officers completely, I just know Im not going to be one of them.

"Brute force is not my way. My technology can devise infinitely more
successful, subtle, and unpleasant methods..."
Signature

bbls

bbls

Lazy days...

Quote by shinsengumiI feel that it's absolutely necessary for me to point out that there is no draft in the United States. A draft is opposed by leaders of both the Republican and Democratic parties, including the President and the Secretary of Defense; the United States military is a fully-volunteer military and will continue to be so.

taken from yesterday's senate hearings:
Sen. Daniel Inouye, the Democrat from Hawaii, (the senator from my state :) )
said, "For the first time in many years the Army and Marine Corps are not meeting their recruiting targets. There are some who are already discussing the draft."

Rumsfeld leaned closer to the microphone and said, "I think the only people who could conceivably be talking about a draft are people who are speaking from pinnacles of near-perfect ignorance."

you gotta luv the rumsfeld-speak, whether or not you agree or disagree with his policies!

for those still concerned about a draft, you can still file a claim or exemption of a conscientious objector if you were called up. other exemptions:
*minister or divinity student.
*sole surviving son of a family whose father, mother, or siblings died from military action.
*sole financial support to family members who are dependent, elderly, disabled, or ill.
*lesbian, gay, or bisexual.

although i have no idea how to difficult it would be to qualify for these exemptions and prove them to the draft board.

besides, both congress and the president would have to authorize the draft and that seems like a near impossibility because i think it would be political suicide for politicians to enact legislation to authorize that.

Don't worry about tomorrow, don't think about yesterday,
don't live in the future, just make it through today!

Signature Image

Hell if the draft was re-introduced in Australia (and there was just a little speculation on that recently) there would be huge uproar and public dissent. Shit Australia has historically been exploited to serve in stupid wars that dont even concern us as a nation, and still do. We are currently in Iraq and Afganistan (not drafted) and what interest is there for us there??? Well its to kiss the US butt so we can be in tha boys club, ensure that our future is based on military provocation and exploitation of less powerful but resource abundant countries.

sakurasuki

sakurasuki

rakuen

conscription is not right. though it may seem patriotic, war is plain wrong. that is why the UN was established after wwii. and... well, the league of nations though it failed miserably.

DarkVirus

DarkVirus

::Nobody::

i do not like the fact that the government drafts people into war. The government should at least avoid a war as possible and not even start a war....

retire

Kiako

Kiako

the shadow

Quote by melmachine18I think the draft is stupid. The government shouldn't force men to go to war because the men don't want to, but of course in the event that a war occurs, the government would require more. It's unfortunate that registering for this service is the law in the US, and I must go through with it. Otherwise, men who are 18 years old and don't register for this service will be arrested. In life, I have better things to do than trying to get myself killed in the event a draft occurs. Suppose in the future I would leave my girlfriend for something like this? Suppose I would give up everything I like to do for something that's not even in my jurisdiction? I can't go anyway because I'm a chronic asthmatic. Nevertheless, I am against the draft.

o i didn't know that you are an asthmatic.
well i gues that that is a reason not to go to war, because i can amagine an asthmatic somewhere in the army, everyone is there running, for practice, you know the usualy *insert number of laps here* laps and there we got an asthmatic running 1, 2, 3 inhale (ok. i have to explain something here, you know the thing that asthmatics usualy carry around with them if they get an attack of astma and then they have tho inhale something from a "bottle", i don't know how should i call it an "asthmatic inhalator" maybe because here i just say a pump to it, don't ask why.(now i hope that everyone understands what i mean, if not then ask me))
well anyway they are running there: 1, 2, 3, inhale, 4, 5, 6, inhale.......well all is well, til one of them losses his "inhalator" and then he starts looking for it all over the ground, then one asks him: "hej what are you looking for?", answer: "my.....in...ha....la......to....." then the first one again : "you mean one of these"*pulls out his own inhalator* and there is where he makes his mistake because the other one takes his inhalator away from him and uses it all up, then they are both lying on the ground untill one of their partners comes by and yells:"hej! boss!, another man down!"..." beter make that two, one just fell over"

i know a beter one: there are men on the feeld, one of them is an asthmatic and there is war, two sids fighting eachother with bombs and guns, then the asthmatic makes a run-for and he runs with his inhalator and he forgets to inhale once and falls on the ground...then the enemy comes and looks at him, "well if he is death he is death, and if he isn't he will soon be*takes away his inhalator* "hehehe"*goes away*"
XD

another one:
ok the they are in the camp and they are having breakfast one behind another in a line, and so we see the place where they have the inhalators placed and then the 14th wants to take the green one, but then the last person in the back sais: "i also wants the green one" but the 14th takes the last green one and the one in the back must take the red one, the one that is almost useless. and then they start the inhalator fight and then one gets it in his mouth: "just what i needed" and then the chief that is btw also an asthmatic is blowing the whistle and that looks like this whistle, inhalate, whistle, inhalate, whistle inhalate, inhalate, whistle, trys to inhalate, drops down.....inhalator empty.

ok, ok , that's enough about the asthmatics in the army especaly with the parts where thy are having practice trainings in the mud and one drops his inhalator and must then pick it and about the parts.....ok. i just have to tell this one: so we have an asthmatic on the open field and he is trowing the hand-granades and that looks like this: he trows the hand granade and then he uses the inhalator and so on, then he misplaces the two things and he trows the inhalator and then in all panic he starts to losse air, i mean the guy just trew away the inhalator and so he puts the hand-granade in his mouth and yes...boom!

ok.ok. that's enough, i know it isn't fair but i just couldn't help myself. well anyway i don't think that draft is the best thing, it's just...well it isn't my problem actualy so i won't bother.
and don't take the jokes too seriously^^

satan123

satan123

Supreme ruler of HELL

me too..against the draft...if the government wants war...tell them to fight themselves.....
our troops are struggling on the battlefield and our leader is in his cozy office sipping a cup of coffee.....

saddam and bush ...fighting on a stage...whoever knocked his opponent down will win the war...
( not a bad idea as we will not fear to lose our troops in the battlefield )...^_^

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Sira

Sira

Sira Keogh Lombard

efectivamente es estupida esa ley, pero la ley es la ley y nois guste o no hay quye aceptarla

Todo depende de uno

"Miembro de: [Hispanime]"
"Miembro de: [Ecchi-club]"

Acuni

Acuni

wrapped in night

well in my opinion war is s-h-i-t. i hate it and i don't think that wapons and solders even "nieded". people should learn to live in respect.
and Kiako i like your jokes i fall of my chair wheile reading it. XD
funy but not very nice

Signature

Draft is wrong!
Why must we have war? Can't we just talk about it?
It's so many, that are being killed...
Ok, it's not always so easy to talk about it, but I think you should try with that first...

Signature
Member of: ~Make a friend~ ~Serenity~ ~Japanese~ ~FinalFantasyFans~
I'll see you all around, people! :D

I don't mean to sound stubbornly pedantic, but I'd like to say that I feel the issues of war and the Selective Service are - though linked - independent from one another. Whether or not a country goes to war is not always a choice entirely dictated by its government; perhaps in a very abstract sense they do always have a choice about it - they could simply not fight regardless of what may come - but realistically there are certain circumstances under which any nation will almost certainly take up arms. I see little reason to belabor the point with copious examples, but I think that the oft-referenced Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor is a good one - faced with that manner of unprovoked aggression, the United States had little logical choice but to respond in kind.

Whether the government should begin conscripting soldiers and other military personal in the event of such goings-on, I think, is a distinct and separate issue. Again, I don't mean to come across as one who would stress the inconsequential minutiae of a matter at the expense of the more substantive and important aspects of it, but I would suggest that it might be best to treat war and conscription separately.

Eh.. I'm not exactly the least-biased source out there, but anyway...

I firmly believe that if your country is in danger, there shouldn't even be a draft; you should volunteer on your own to help fight for and protect your country. It's selfish to live here but not want to defend it, then expect others to do it for you. Anybody who refuses to step up when their homeland is in danger doesn't deserve to live there. Fin on that.

When it comes to overseas wars however, I think some exceptions should be mad. I wouldn't promote a draft for Iraq, but what about Sudan? Or do you people not care? I find it's also incredibly selfish to only care about what happens in your own country. There's others out there who need help. Our country wouldn't be if not for foreigners helping us.

But, I do suppose it's asking far too much for others to pop their little bubble and move into reality. None the less, I assure you kiddies with as much assurance as can be possibly assured, there won't be a draft for Iraq. The Selective Service has always collected the names of 18 year old males and will probably forever do so. It's to have on hand in case they do need to draft.

Depending on the situation, the government should be allowed to draft. If you live in a country, expect to defend it.

Quote by punker0017I understand the reason for having a draft, but that doesnt mean I have to like it. And I dont. Should the need ever arise in the US, I'm moving to Canada

My cousin did that. He got himself mixed up with the government, and when the whole middle east situation started happening, he left to Mexico. -_-'

FyeTsukishiro

FyeTsukishiro

Hikaru Hoshi Shooting Star

Drafting in the army is so common in all countries, well honestly I'm not agree with war.
War is the same thing as destruction and death, but your country goverment must be sure that USA's young boys will defend the place where you were born. And If the goverment doesn't force you, I don't think that lots of boys draft for going to the war.

KamikazeKoga

KamikazeKoga

??????????

It's good that there is no draft right now and there is no reason why our government should allow a draft in the future. People should not be forced into war. Let's see what happened our government implemented a draft during the Vietnam War:
Young people, that are too young to go to war, are forced into war. They face conditions that they hoped they never faced. The US ends up loosing the war and many of the new veterans are looked down upon because of what occured during the war. Even though they might not have been part of the atrocities that occured during the war, society groups them in with them.

What does this say about the draft? It does not mean that we will win. More soldiers does not mean victory. Even if we have 500,000 soldiers and the other army has 500 soldiers, the other army can win if we underestimate them.

YugureKaze

YugureKaze

The Lost Wanderer

i think the draft system is kinda dumb
people should be able to choose to go of their own free will

RainOfStars

RainOfStars

Elusive Dream

Well, draft is created to protect the government not the people. They government want to stay in power, so they make sure they won't be defeated in the war. If there is a war in your country. Unless it is near where you live, half of us won't care about who win or lose.

i am happy that I live in Canada where military service is completely up to yourself.

Signature

SamuraiHaruko

SamuraiHaruko

Butterfly

Hmm well i think the draft is well good but you must fight for your country what other reason could there be? I mean you live here you must support here....uh yeah heh...well the only way to get out of the draft is find something better to do with your life...get a job...find your career ..and don't be a lazy bum.

Magically Delicious, yo.

Where I come from, we don't have a choice in these matters...every able-bodied man is conscripted into the armed forces at 18 or 19 years of age (which means my turn soon)...I've actually receieved my enlistment orders already.... :sweat: ...just waiting for the call...we serve a mandatory 2 year service and are called upon regulary for retraining and mobilised in 6 hrs during times of war...but for me, I guess I'd do 6 yrs instead...being already in the reserve when in high school....I don't like it either...and I agree that I have much better things to do in life..but then I've always believed that: If we do not protect and defend what is ours, who will? From this land I was made, for this land I will fight...

Jheiracks

Jheiracks

absently lost in creation

Personal Opinion . . . The government says "You must register for the draft when you are 18 years old, that way if we need someone to go fight for an unknown or stupid cause we can force you to go and die for us. but!!!!!! You are to young and stupid to drink alcohol!" rriigghhhtttttttt!

Actually, I understand - both from what I've read and from friends in the military - that exceptions are made for those serving in frontline positions, as far as drinking 'underage' and the like are concerned.

Because as you rightly point out, it would be nothing short of asinine to send young men who are little more than kids off to fight, but still maintain that they're 'not old enough' to consume alcohol. :\ Thankfully, though, someone on high seems to have realized as much.

Not that I think your observation any less valid, lest it seem that I were saying otherwise; you do raise a legitimate concern. But so far as my limited knowledge goes, at least, I believe there are provisions in place to address it.

page 2 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 57 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.