Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What do you think about drafting for war? - Minitokyo

What do you think about drafting for war?

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 57 total items

fuzzmegabass

fuzzmegabass

Code Ninja

I'm totally against the draft. But if one ever did occur, I'll be the first one at the Air Force recruiter! ^_^'

Signature Image

Quote by GiltI don't mean to sound stubbornly pedantic, but I'd like to say that I feel the issues of war and the Selective Service are - though linked - independent from one another. Whether or not a country goes to war is not always a choice entirely dictated by its government; perhaps in a very abstract sense they do always have a choice about it - they could simply not fight regardless of what may come - but realistically there are certain circumstances under which any nation will almost certainly take up arms. I see little reason to belabor the point with copious examples, but I think that the oft-referenced Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor is a good one - faced with that manner of unprovoked aggression, the United States had little logical choice but to respond in kind.
Whether the government should begin conscripting soldiers and other military personal in the event of such goings-on, I think, is a distinct and separate issue. Again, I don't mean to come across as one who would stress the inconsequential minutiae of a matter at the expense of the more substantive and important aspects of it, but I would suggest that it might be best to treat war and conscription separately.

I agree that war and the draft are definitely separate subjects, but I'd like to point out- using the example Gilt brought up- that while war was not necessarily the choice of the US in the case of Pearl Harbor, it was the choice of another government- the Japanese government...therefore the decision to go to war is always the decision of a government somewhere in the world.
I personally do not believe in war as a solution to anything...it's not likely that I would be called even if there was a draft, and I don't claim any personal knowledge, but reading the memoirs and writing of soldiers from past wars have destroyed any remaining ideals of courage and patriotism in regards to war. I firmly believe that citizens are responsible for their country, but war is not a choice I can support, especially in this age of missiles and long-range weapons.
I definitely do not support the draft in any form. It's far too easy to separate the idea of joining the military from the realities of war, and to force an unwilling person to fight and kill does not strike me as any dependable way to defend one's country.

Sunira

Sunira

www.sunira.net

I personally dont mind the draft. I think every american and american reisdent should be asked to serve two years in the military right after high school. It will teach us some good habits and also some serious discipline. But then again I also think that university should be free. If we had both, that would be awesome. I sure wouldnt mind serving a country where I live. I mean I think its kind of two faced to enjoy everything this country has to provide and then turn you back on it when it needs you in its military to uphold its standing in the world.

BerzerkerOr

BerzerkerOr

I was the jesus brick

I hope like hell we don't get the draft because then I'll end up missing out on all my jobs in acting and voice acting. and I'll have to wait a lot longer to go to college.

Signature

A bad idea. Needing a draft implies that the war is unpopular. Drafting will just make it worse.

Not to mention, many people (such as myself) would make horrible soldiers. I have no intention of becoming cannon fodder.

I would hate to be drafted, not because I would have to go and defend the country which I think is the best in the world, but because it would require me to take years out of my life and distract me from my real goal in life.

Anyone who dosn't want to defend their country in a time of emergency is an idiot and dosn't deserve to live in this great country to begin with.

Many countries in this world still require active service for a year or more. If you're in the US, be happy all you have to do is fill out a dumb little card, and know that if you are called into active duty, it's for a damn good reason.

I respond because you insult me.

I will never fight for something I don't believe in. Since most US conflicts concern something I don't believe in, I won't fight for the US. If its to save US from destruction it brought upon itself, so be it. I'll pack up and head elsewhere.

Do you know this quote?

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"

I believe in the exact opposite. Your government was made to serve you, not the other way around. If your government brings enemies to its doorstep due to faulty actions, I will not bother trying to save it. I have very little faith in my government (or any government, for that matter - no I'm not an anarchist), so a damn good reason to them may very well not be.

I would like to point out that if my country was fighting for something that I believed was right, however unlikely that may be, I would sign up with no need for a draft. I would never be a grunt, but I could be one of the support troops (maintainence and such).

Spend less on enforcing the draft and spend more on what you pay people in the millitary as incentive for people to join.

flyindreams

flyindreams

[Ninja] Lurker

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. This discussion reminded me of some thoughts that I had when reading the Gundam Wing novels (which I think is a really powerful commentary against war and power)...

Having friends who have both willingly served in the army and not for various different reasons, I respect all their decisions. Personally (sidetracking a bit on the draft discussion) I feel rather conflicted on the notion of "just" wars. On the one hand I feel like the motivation behind just / honorable wars are always fueled by nationalism or selfish causes (like the War in Iraq... democracy in the Middle East has never been a US priority, but safeguarding cheap access for oil has...) which tends to lead to more wars...

On the other hand, as a student of international relations/development studies one of the major themes that comes through is that the road to development or democracy is not easy. "Peaceful democracies" all stem from violent legacies of war and conquest. I feel like war is an inevitable process that people have to go through in order to achieve more stable peace, sadly... You need the legacy of war in order to create and maintain peace... Maybe mankind just hasn't evolved enough to be able to have peace without war.

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 57 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.