Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why hate dubs? - Minitokyo

Why hate dubs?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 41 total items

I couldn't help but notice just how many people seem to really hate dubs and I was kind of wondering why. I know most of the argument. They are the same ones used all the time. Don't get me wrong I enjoy hearing things both ways. I just don't understand why dubs are so "blasphemous".
For lack of anything better to do I will go over part of the arguments and throw in my rebuttal so that you all can interject your opinion afterwards.

1)It destroys the integrity of the original intent by changing languages.

Ok, this I never understood. To switch language doesn’t mean that the original idea is now unconveyable or lost. Heck most of the time the people doing anime are not the ones that came up with the story in the first place. It is just there interpretation of it. If we "ruin" it by dubbing into another language then is it safe to say that every time one of our movies that is dubbed(or anyone else’s) is now ruined? Or how about the fact that the Japanese do import some of our cartoons and dub it into their own language. Does that make it less of a show and inferior because they translated their interpretation onto it?
By the way fansubs are not the gospel truth of the original script. It is just one persons take on it.

2)Dubs sound awful.

This one I find funny. I didn't like anime at all years ago because yes the voices over here sucked. However the actors of today are nothing like the ones of yesteryear. There are some very fine and very real actors working in the dubbing industry now. But that is not the funny part. What is funny is the fact that over and over again I hear people say that and sooner or later it is followed with an "I don't watch dubs ever" or something close to it. Some will even admit that they have not watched a dub in years upon years upon years. Well if one never watches it then they can not possibly know what the heck they sound like or accurately judge. Second funny point is the whole the Japanese are better for it. I may get flamed for this but I will say it anyway. The Japanese are melodramatic and tend to over act. I have heard a Japanese director even comment on this. They know they do it and its on purpose. Listen to some of these same actors normally talk and then ask them to act. There is a world of difference, not always but a lot of the time. Furthermore the Japanese voices can be just as out of place with a character as anyone else’s. For example they love to have adolescent boys voiced by women. I'm sorry but a 16 or 17 year old boy is not going to sound just like a chick.
Now I am not saying that English dubs have no problems. That greatly depends on who is doing them. I just want to know why are dubs hated so much?

My ever growing website Anime Fountain.

My forum with TONS of Anime, Video Game, J-Music news and more posted on a nearly daily basis. We search it out so you don's have to. The Anime Fountain Forum

I hate it when they have upper teen males sound like women. That's a pet peeve I have with some of the Japanese dubs.

The dubs have some sort of odd sound effect to it. The way that the dubs say it is extremely off of what it's meant to be. watch a sub then watch a dub. You'll see the difference. It's unanimous, hands down.

I do watch subs. I enjoy watching them both ways as I said in my post. I'm just saying that this anti-dub thing is something I don't understand. After all as a true fan you shoul want to see things do well no matter what. If the dub is good and makes them money over there then I don't see how it is a bad thing. That and I have noticed lately in several places that the better the dub then the louder the fans seem to cry foul and scream that it sucks. To me that doesn't make a lot of sense.

My ever growing website Anime Fountain.

My forum with TONS of Anime, Video Game, J-Music news and more posted on a nearly daily basis. We search it out so you don's have to. The Anime Fountain Forum

Psychocouak

Enjoy!

Dubs are the most of the time not corresponding to original characters voice...
But some are greats.

Enjoy the life <======||======> http://a.daisuke.free.fr
Forgive my english ^^
Signature
[French-Tribu]

kira3572

kira3572

Servant of the Dark World

ok i tell u y i hate dub no matter what :

1: the Voice doesnt sound correct for the age of the character
2: Sound stupid
3: Doesnt match the mouth scyn so sometimes they are still speaking while their mouth is not moving
4: I perfer the japanese voice, the feel u get, which with dub you dont get the same feel most time, if u understand what i mean

Quote by kira3572ok i tell u y i hate dub no matter what :

1: the Voice doesnt sound correct for the age of the character
2: Sound stupid
3: Doesnt match the mouth scyn so sometimes they are still speaking while their mouth is not moving
4: I perfer the japanese voice, the feel u get, which with dub you dont get the same feel most time, if u understand what i mean

1: the Japanese voices are no better, you hear squeakies for guys, old folks for 15 year olds and such, Yakitate!! Japan, anyone?
2: So do the Japanese voices as well, some people don't like Azuma as well.
3: So do the Japanese voices as well. They don't care much about lip flapping as long as the voice starts on the opening of mouth and ends at the stop of the flapping of the mouth. Go see how Japanese pronounce their words and try to match the action on screen and you will see how very mismatched they are. The VAs try but they cannot synchronise everything.
4: Yes, seems you like to to listen to rubbish you fail to understand rather than proper words and nuances that you can.

There are terrible dubs and excellent dubs, they exist in varying quantities (sometimes in a year, there are more terribles than excellents and vice versa). An excellent dub depends on what setting the series is in (e.g. generally I prefer to leave it as is for series set in asian settings, western settings are where english dubs can shine), the script (bad script writers will inevitably lead to bad dialogue) and the voice actors' ability (on par with the Japanese, only depends on their dedication) to bring out the atmosphere.

But it seems there's a bunch of elitists who seem to have their heads in the clouds that there are only terrible ones. They seem to think it is more l33t to appear liking Japanese language when they know nuts about it.

EsCoBaR

EsCoBaR

bobby digital

Well, dubs don't bother me much. They're not as bad as they used to be, imo. While some are still bad I think they're becoming more bearable.

+ S t y l e . R e : D E F i n i t i o n +

Okoru

Title? what's that?

I can't stand them for some reason. I feel that if you're going to watch something, make it in the original language. The voice actors were chosen for reasons; if you don't like it.. tough. (In japanese, where it "originates"). Sync's are almost always off in either language, but it's far worse when it's an english dub. A lot of times, the dub companies also edit the footage, possibly removing key elements vital to the story line. Not that I care, I can't watch dubs; therefore I don't. They make me sick to my stomach. (no really, every time I've watched a dub; for some reason I get eh.... nausea and end up throwing up... and it's not the food either ;))

Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous.
-Confucius

Alienated-NZ

Alienated-NZ

\ Sasuke \

Yeah Some dubs are ok... o_O but some are really bad >_< i usually watch anime with japanese voices and english buds ^_^ i think it sounds better

naito-tsuki

naito-tsuki

Wind Alchemist

I don't hate dubs at all. I like them, but I enjoy watching subs better. Sometimes, it just changes their tone of voice dramatically that's all. O_o

Signature

~*Watashi wa Arufonse to Edowado suki desu...
~*ED AND AL ARE SUCH BELLE GARCONS!! XD

I can't offer an answer to your question, 1darkangel, but I can say that it's nice to find another who holds views similar to my own on the matter. I prefer to keep out of the evidently heated debates that can arise from it, but I have always been faintly bemused by those who are adamantly one or the other.

As a personal preference, I do most often have a stronger inclination toward things in my native language. *shrugs* It's just easier for me, for want of a more precise way to succinctly put it. But sometimes the English actors are painful to listen to, to be sure - like others have said, quality on both sides varies considerably. In the end, if I had my druthers, I'd simply go for whichever one I thought was better done.

Though you have offered one of the more reasoned arguments that I've heard in favor of subbed anime, Okoru - I can understand wanting to watch something in its native language, and even feel that way myself from time to time.

At the end of the day, it really comes down to a matter of which way sounds and/or looks more natural, for me; I've seen plenty of subtitled trasnlations that are every bit as broken as some English voicings are awkward and forced. I think it just depends on where you go.

QVOD VITA FACIMVS AETERNITATE SONABIT.

sakurasuki

sakurasuki

rakuen

dubs are bad because they do not follow the actual japanese plot line and the translations screw up when changed into english. something that is funny may be translated so that it contains no humor and vice versa. besides the fact that i can't stand the voices in english or any other language for that matter.

AirMaster

AirMaster

ZAKU ZAKU ZAKU ZAKU!!!

Some dubs are ok, but some dubs are just plainly horrible. Dubs by 4Kids come instantly to mind. There also other shows where you expect a decent dub, but for some reason it ends up being so horrible that you can't bring yourself to watch it.

Signature
Sig by Vivid-Rein..ph34r them Zakus XP
Check profile for groups :x

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Quote by AirMasterSome dubs are ok, but some dubs are just plainly horrible.

i agree... for the most part i don't really watch anime in dubs because it seems like the animes i watch the voices don't seem to match up with the characters as well... also some of the pronunciation is quite laughable... i just think that the japanese voice actors seem to get into the character more than the english voice actors do. (exceptions would be ranma 1/2 and miyazaki dubs.)

Signature Image

Ayasal

Ayasal

Return, Into The Mist

most of the dubs I dont like, like they totally destroyed card captor sakura and Detective Conan, ~I mean they choosed horriable voices for them,,, and does not mach them at all!!>_< >=0000000~~~~~!!!!!!!! well, there are good dubs like Trigun , Inu Yasha or ranma 1/2 and miyazaki dubs,,, but there are ones that make me sooo mad and I end up yelling out loud "whats WITH THAT voice!!! HA HA HA HA ha!!!" *Craks up and rolls on the floor laught*:nya: OX x_x XP :angry:
sorry just telling you how I feel about so dubs ;)

Relinquish your Dreams of Paradise
Signature

Okoru

Title? what's that?

Quote by Ayasal
:angry: sorry just telling you how I feel about so dubs ;)

Isn't that what this thread was about? sharing our view on dubs? ;)

Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous.
-Confucius

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

True enough that the dubs do not feature the original voices. All you have to do is take Conan Edogawa's voice changer, and maybe you'll have some results. XD

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

It's not so much hating the dubs as being used to japanese voices with subbing. I don't feel right if I don't have something to read on the bottom. ^_^'

Also, since I'm so used to the excess amount of expression japanese put into their acting, dubbing voices suddenly sound almost monotonous. This is a recent revelation I just made when watching a Gundam Seed episode a couple weeks ago. Dunno if it's good or bad.

the cowboy bebop dub though was awesome...

Claude

15th Division Taichou

zomg, i absolutely abhor dubs!! the voice actors often talk wit no soul and somtimes 18 year olds can pass off a 8 year olds wit whiney inconsistant voice acting. worst of all is tat the dubbers HAV NO sense IN choosing GOOD voices!!!! they choose horrible people to portray chars wit completely diff attitudes...in a nutshell, a voice which doesnt match his/her face. jus take a look at FMA and u get the picture. they destroy a part of the char we love and make him/her a completely diff person..not tat all dubs r bad (YUA dubs r exceptionally good) but the majority stil suck

Fear my Zanpaku-to, 'Rengeki'!!

If i'm dodging, i won't let him cut me
If i'm protecting someone, i won't let her die
And if i'm attacking, I'll cut you!!

- Kurosaki Ichigo, Bleach

royaldarkness

royaldarkness

Restless Soul

because it sounds really weird, and i prefer them in origianl version anyway. even though i can't understand a word :P

Alienated-NZ

Alienated-NZ

\ Sasuke \

Is detective conan in english that bad!?!? ive only heard the jap version >_< or was it veit.... oh well

Why I hate dubs? (only some of them , there're some made even better than orginal)
1. They sound bad (somehow orginal is always more natural)
2. Usually lvl of translation is bad and couse of it it looses many things proper for spcific culture. (kina of normal that some things are untranslatable yet some ppl seems to forget about it and it happens to be translators)
3. It's just damn iritateing when actor moves his lips and words don't mach.....

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 41 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.