Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why hate dubs? - Minitokyo

Why hate dubs?

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 41 total items

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

I think that dubs are awful... yes, people can translate them into English and not lose the original content, but then you must take into account that the translators so often take the anime and put it into an American or English context when it;s a Japanese context... and because the audience is now aimed at English speaking recipients, they change the wording and what they deem "cheesy" in Japanese will be modified to sound more fluent in English... but seriously... the idea is being filtered at this point.

The voices I find are quite annoying... they talk in a strange slow slurry style... I don't know if it's just me... but I find that the way how they say stuff is really quite comical, and the pronunication of names is appalling. That is why so many people say "Na-rooo-toe" instead of "na-rue-toh" (Naruto of course) and "Pokeymon" instead of "poh-ke-mon".

You maybe prefer dubs and that's entirely your opinion... my preference is usually hearing the Jpaanes and having the subs... cuz that way I can listen to the original directed emotion in the voices, and the original script.

And on another note... if you have seen those Jackie Chan movies dubbed... they are atrocious. Their mouths keep moving and nothing's coming out of them @.@

Sorry if I was a little angsty... I didn't mean to be... just trying to get my view across -.-'

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

i prefer subs generally. it's nicer to listen to the japanese voice when you are watching a japanese anime. :) i usually listen to the japanese audio when watching a japanese drama too. some of the dubs are not bad though. i watched the whole series of hikaru no go in chinese dub and gotten so used to the voices that when i download a sub to watch, i though the japanese voices sound funny.... >.<

Tsuki-A

Ruler Of A Small Universe

1. Horrible voice acting. Especially the accents they give the characters!
2. They keep on cutting the good bits out, the bits that make anime just that big more interesting.
3. theme songs, they are just horrible.
4. Openings and Endings, I hate it when they edit those. Openings and Endings are supposed to have points to them! Change them and then they lose them!
5. Other songs. Just plain annoying.
6. changing THE dialouge! Geez, they keep on messing up the scenes with horrible sentences that don't even relate to the topic! >_<

Current Quote: "Bit by bit the rock breaks into millions and millions of grains of sand"

------------

Signature

Dubs just doesn't sound right. I really enjoy watching anime when it is in its original language. Most Japanese seiyuus are good. You really get to feel the emotions expressed by the characters. An anime is an anime because it is Japanese. ^_^'

Watching Japanese anime makes me learn a thing or two about their language (though it's complicated). Even so, I can understand a *little*

Okoru

Title? what's that?

If you have both a raw + subbed copy of a good episode, and the sub is very well done (good translations) you could learn from it :)

Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous.
-Confucius

Quote by Claudethey choose horrible people to portray chars wit completely diff attitudes...in a nutshell, a voice which doesnt match his/her face. jus take a look at FMA and u get the picture. they destroy a part of the char we love and make him/her a completely diff person..not tat all dubs r bad (YUA dubs r exceptionally good) but the majority stil suck

I actually thought the Dub for FMA was very good. I liked the boys in it sounding like boys instead of women doing it. Thats one of my peeves. Now I don't always prefer all voices in the dubs over the original but in this one for the most part I do.
However on the flip side I am still reeling from an upset stomach over listening to the Geneon dubs for Saiyuki reloaded. I liked the original voices in the japanese track and I really liked the saiyuki dubs from ADV. BUT these Geneon actors have done a bad, bad, bad job. See I don't always say dubs are better. Thats why I love to watch both and find out.

My ever growing website Anime Fountain.

My forum with TONS of Anime, Video Game, J-Music news and more posted on a nearly daily basis. We search it out so you don's have to. The Anime Fountain Forum

Izlude

Izlude

You Dodged?

Well, I am a self confessed dubbie, but usually if I watch an anime in one language first, I'll continue watching it in that language. However I'm fairly open-minded and will watch the other language versions at least once to check it out.

The way I see it, the more languages anime is dubbed in, the better it gets.

GENESIC! EMERALD! TAGER! BUSTER!!

I haven't picked up a new anime DVD in ages, it seems like, but I tend toward the same practice, Izlude. I've always watched it in English first - it's the default setting, and, as I mentioned earlier, I do admittedly (though I won't apologize for it) gravitate toward my native tongue as a general rule; but I've also seen every series or piece of a series that I own in Japanese at least once, and sometimes more if I'm in an especially linguistic mood.

I think at least half of the anime I own has options for Spanish and/or French language tracks as well, though I never really had a particularly strong interest in going through a given series again in said tongues.

Now that I think about it, however, it might be interesting to watch some of what I have in Spanish; not once have I done so, and it would probably be a rather different sort of experience.

And on a purely pragmatic - if perhaps skewing toward frugal - level, it's probably the most sensible to get as much as possible out of a DVD for which one paid anyhow; unless you flat out wouldn't enjoy it, you might as well utilize the goods and/or services exchanged for your hard-earned money to the fullest extent.

QVOD VITA FACIMVS AETERNITATE SONABIT.

Well, people have their own reasons for hating dubs. Personally, the people often doing the dubs tend to be too over-dramatic, I just can't stand listening to their tone. It sounds so fake to me, like Bold and the Beautiful (don't mean to insult anybody here, if you're a fan of B&B ... I just really can't stand watching that show). Some dubs are tolerable, but the majority aren't.

The other night I was watching Rurouni Kenshin (again) and when I was watching the scene where Kenshin leaves Kaoru, for Kyoto and tells her that he's a wanderer, so he must be wandering again (best scene in the whole anime I tell you! ^____^) ... I watched the subbed version and it made me tear up a bit, cause the voices were just so emotional. But then I tried watching the dubbed version and I couldn't stand it ... it was so fake!

But I guess it just comes down to personal preference.

"Life is not about the number of breaths you take in a moment, rather the number of moments that take your breath away."

I don't hate dubs until they affect the storyline in some way. Sure, some dubs are horrible but then again some subs are horrible too.

Personally, dubs/subs are the same to me. When I watch subs I don't even consciencely read the subs so either way is fine for me.

beb3xchange

K-Otic

Quote by fireflywishes

Quote by AirMasterSome dubs are ok, but some dubs are just plainly horrible.

i agree... for the most part i don't really watch anime in dubs because it seems like the animes i watch the voices don't seem to match up with the characters as well... also some of the pronunciation is quite laughable... i just think that the japanese voice actors seem to get into the character more than the english voice actors do. (exceptions would be ranma 1/2 and miyazaki dubs.)

i agree with you

life isn't simple; deal with it

Quote by delusionedWell, people have their own reasons for hating dubs. Personally, the people often doing the dubs tend to be too over-dramatic, I just can't stand listening to their tone. It sounds so fake to me, like Bold and the Beautiful (don't mean to insult anybody here, if you're a fan of B&amp;B ... I just really can't stand watching that show). Some dubs are tolerable, but the majority aren't.

This is one thing I have pointed out elsewhere as the anime double standard. This and lip sync. The japanese will even admit that the VA's for anime over there are overacting and being mellow dramatic. However the fans here embrace them for it yet would love to lynch an English VA if they even thought about it.
And since so many have pointed out lip sync I would love to repoint out, as others have, that the sync doesn't macth up all the time in the Japanese tracks either. I can think of countless times in countless shows where the lips were moving with the Japanese track and no sound was coming out or Japanese VA was talking and no lips were moving.

My ever growing website Anime Fountain.

My forum with TONS of Anime, Video Game, J-Music news and more posted on a nearly daily basis. We search it out so you don's have to. The Anime Fountain Forum

Zerotul

Zerotul

N3kO R3P1OID

Quote by kira3572ok i tell u y i hate dub no matter what :

1: the Voice doesnt sound correct for the age of the character
2: Sound stupid
3: Doesnt match the mouth scyn so sometimes they are still speaking while their mouth is not moving
4: I perfer the japanese voice, the feel u get, which with dub you dont get the same feel most time, if u understand what i mean

Well, if they don't give us any dubs 2 hate...wouldn't we just start critisizing the original voices of the characters, and if it disturbs u that much, try putting it on Japanese, and put the subs in ur languages....unless u dont have a DVD...lol

Signature
"I'm back... and this time.... with a vengeance..... nobody shall get in my way... for i have the most powerful weapon of all... the VIBRATING SHEEP OF DEATH!"

dragonsnake26

Dragon

I don't hate dubs. I may dislike some but not like hate with a passion. Dubs for anime are getting better. I personally like FMA and Gundam SEED's dubbing. (excluding the english version of Lacus' songs and Richard Cox...) The pet peeve of mine is that English dubs are getting better for Japanese shows, but not for Chinese.

Just wondering, has anyone watched dubbing of shows that wasn't in English?

[Insert Sig Here >_<]

Zeliard

Zeliard

I confess! I'm an otaku!!

I don't holda grudge against dub, it just that I would like the show to be delivered in it's orginal format. Some dubs are just plain aweful and irritating, and unfortunately only a handful are passable. Over the years, the dubbing in the gaming industry has vastly improved. We see top notch voice-overs in ffx-2, and the Xeno series just to name a few. But regarding anime, the best dub I've come across is Cantonese. Relatively, the dubbing in Cantonese seems to be the best. They never really tend to imitate the high pitch voices of the characters, as what english dubbing will attempt, and failure to do so will just result in a irritating 2 octaves higher squeaky voice.

In the end, I think it's just a matter of preference. I've met people who said why watch a show in a language which you can't understand? I still can't come up with a good answer for that.....

A few months ago, I was watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I have an option to have the movie delivered in the original Mandarin and Cantonese. I chose to have it in Mandarin, in a badly translated english sub, just because I like the original format. That's all.

My dream now is to play an RPG in Jap languange and english subbed. So far I've only played Ys, and I really enjoy it!

Signature

Quote by 1darkangel

Quote by delusionedWell, people have their own reasons for hating dubs. Personally, the people often doing the dubs tend to be too over-dramatic, I just can't stand listening to their tone. It sounds so fake to me, like Bold and the Beautiful (don't mean to insult anybody here, if you're a fan of B&amp;B ... I just really can't stand watching that show). Some dubs are tolerable, but the majority aren't.

This is one thing I have pointed out elsewhere as the anime double standard. This and lip sync. The japanese will even admit that the VA's for anime over there are overacting and being mellow dramatic. However the fans here embrace them for it yet would love to lynch an English VA if they even thought about it.

I think that with English dubbing over anime, it also tends to bring connotations of English (Western) culture, which wouldn't really fit in with the Japanese culture thing presented to us by the anime. And with English dubbing, for me it brings connotations of bad soap operas like the B&B.

"Life is not about the number of breaths you take in a moment, rather the number of moments that take your breath away."

well... where i live... the dubbing in the native language is bad, real bad. plus they become bilingual when there's no translation or on technical terms. voicing isnt the best...

If you can't see the point... get a new POV...
Signature Image

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 41 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.