Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 OK, I need help. - Minitokyo

OK, I need help.

page 1 of 1 23 total items

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

I was wondering if someone could help with a problem I'm currently having. (That's currently pissing me off)
I'm using WinXP (I know. Not my computer. >_>) and my DVD drive has dissapeared. I tried all the troubleshooting stuff. When I go to My Computer's properties and into the device manager panel, there's a red x next to the little icon.
I tried enableing it, but it won't work.
Is there any way to retrieve the drive without using sysrestore?
Please help?
- Your friend, zephiris26 - the dumbass. XD

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

This problem happened to me once before. If you can go back to an earlier date using system restore, this might help recover the drive. If not, then you may have to restore your computer. This was what I did when I had this problem.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

Have you tried changing the IDE slot that the drive is in or changing it from Master to Slave? Also, when exactly did it disappear?

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

i sry but i have no ideas with computers when i have a problem i call my friend he allways help me out

MissCz

MissCz

// divine execution. //

Try replugging your IDE cables? Maybe that's causing your computer to not pick up your DVD drive. Or try borrowing someone else's cables. <OR> a system restore would work too. ;)

Signature

>> A d e s i r e to | e x p r e s s | myself. <<

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

A System Restore won't help if there is something integrally wrong with the drive/cables/motherboard.

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

Quote by Aa-chanHave you tried changing the IDE slot that the drive is in or changing
it from Master to Slave? Also, when exactly did it disappear?

Yup. And it dissapeared last week, but Im just getting mad now. XD
It's giving me:

Quote: This device has been disabled. [code 22]

no matter what I do.

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

I trust you've gone into the Device Manager and tried to enable it?

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

Quote by Aa-chanI trust you've gone into the Device Manager and tried to enable it?

That's the first thing I did. It's telling me that windows is unable to enable the drive. T_T

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

Any way of trying the drive in another computer? Just to rule out a borked drive.

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

Not at the moment, but I would if I could. I'm pretty sure nothing's wrong with the drive, it's probably this excuse for an OS that I'm using. XD I've looked it up, and it seems this is a common WinXP problem. O_o

streamside

streamside

deranged.

oops. Sorry. Can't help - I know absolutely nothing about OSs and computer hardware... :nya:

Quote by Aa-chanHave you tried changing the IDE slot that the drive is in or changing
it from Master to Slave? Also, when exactly did it disappear?

gosh... perhaps I'm too stupid to comprehend what this means... o_0

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu

"A journey of a thousand miles...
is better in a car."

sowy...me dont kno.....mayB zephiris can weinstall dingy :o

Tatsuya

Tatsuya

.: Lonely Chicky:.

please follow the step : (i'm not good to explain something ^^')

1) right click my computer and select properties, and into the device manager panel.
2) right click the dvd-rom driver, and remove it/uninstall
3) after that, click the scan new hardware, let the windows automatically scan the new hardware

well, hope ya helpful, and please correct me if i wrong ^^'

Signature

ps : excuse my poor english

Mad-Hat

Mad-Hat

Organizer of 4.17 TB

Go into the properties of the device. What does the status box say?

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world,
The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

Probably an MPAA virus designed to stop movie pirating. (just kidding).

How old is this drive?

Signature Image

Thebombma

Crimson Dollar

Not to sure if this will do it, try going to here http://www.dougknox.com/, go to "Win X P Utilities", then find "Restore cd/dvd Drives to Windows Explorer", then download and run the program. It may or may not help, too many possiblilites for a DVD-rom for not enabling.

Massacre! *starts foaming at the mouth*
Member of ForceFirefox

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

Quote by Mad-HatGo into the properties of the device. What does the status box say?

This device is disabled. (Code 22)

Click Enable Device to enable this device.
...Only it won't enable.

Quote by Jim3535Probably an MPAA virus designed to stop movie pirating. (just kidding).

How old is this drive?

We just got the comp re-fromatted in December, and it had been working fine since then.

Kaitou-Kid

Kaitou-Kid

~Nanaya Complex~

try entering the bios, see if you could do something with enabling the device... in my school's computer there's BIOS setting that could disable a drive (to prevent student to use it) maybe the same thing happen to your's

to enter bios, simply press del at startup.
goodluck

Signature

\"the sun and the moon will always shine on each other... til the end of time...\"

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

Hrm, I was asking how old the drive is since you bought it. Many times dust and other junk can build up in it and cause problems. CD and DVD burners will burn themselves out (no pun intended) after 500-1000 discs usually (regardless of brand). So if it is an old drive that meets either of the two criteria, then you may simply have had the drive go bad on you. My old Plextor CD burner died on my after about 800 CDs burnt.

Signature Image

i thing replug in the dvd drive (take off the case and unscrew it from its slot) or the dvd drive is stuffed

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

Quote by Jim3535Hrm, I was asking how old the drive is since you bought it. Many times
dust and other junk can build up in it and cause problems. CD and DVD
burners will burn themselves out (no pun intended) after 500-1000 discs
usually (regardless of brand). So if it is an old drive that meets
either of the two criteria, then you may simply have had the drive go
bad on you. My old Plextor CD burner died on my after about 800 CDs
burnt.

It's about four yeas old, but I never used it until recently because I was too poor to buy DVDs. XD

Protista

Protista

Wannabe Manga-ka

It's probably just dead. Your best bet is to try plugging it into another IDE slot (make sure that the pins are set correctly eg. Slave/Master/CS), or better yet...its own slot if it's being shared. If you can't...or it doesn't help...try it out on another computer. Also try taking another drive and putting it where the "broken" rom is...also...is power to the rom working (I unfortunately have to ask this question...I won't tell you of the horror stories involved)? After all said and done...you can probably figure out the rest. Just be wary...if it's not the rom, it might be that your motherboard is going bad. They do that sometimes...sucks...but it happens.
Either way, good luck.
^,^

Much thanks to KenshinFFX for the avatar!

page 1 of 1 23 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.