Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Greatest Cruelty from the greates caring? - Minitokyo

Greatest Cruelty from the greates caring?

page 1 of 1 20 total items

VagrantDreamer

VagrantDreamer

Daydreaming ...

I posed this question at another forums a while ago and i got a many well thought out and sincere replies .... so i decided to post it here to see what replies i'd get back ...
so i was reading a book not too long ago, when i came across the sentence "It is said that the deepest cruelty comes from the deepest caring". at first i laughed this off as an author's rambling because it was such a contridictory statement that it couldn't be true, however, as i found myself time and time again thinking back to that sentence, i began to realize that maybe there was truth in that statement. think about it, a serial killer has to love whats he is doing to continue it, and a mother will kill to get her child back... so in my contemplation, i brought up the question, is love and hate so interlinked that it is inseperable or are they so different from each other that there can be no way that they can be interlinked at all... i choose the fact that love and hate are interlinked ... i see now that withouth hate, there would be no love, a bleak prospect in my opinion ...

so i give u the same question ... does the greatest cruelty come fromt the greatest caring? and is love and hate inseperable ???

o and a final question ... try and guess where i got the quote from! XD

cool quote and i do think love and hate are inseperable
and i dont know its from :sweat: ^_^'

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

I agree with the quote. My parents care so much that I'm overprotected. I can't seem to find any happiness with them around, yet when I'm away, I have lots more freedom.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Kumiko-H

Kumiko-H

Professional reader

I believe the quote is correct, also. A person can care for anything, become obsessed with it and allow that obsession to overwhelm them. If the "thing" somehow becomes tainted the obession turns to anger. I believe that anger transforms love into hate. This is the reason why the two are so close. Like the song says, "Its a thin line between love and hate." I think that time, tolerance, and many emotions change hate to into love, but this is harder to accomplish. But in my opinion it is a lot easier to turn love into hate than it is to turn hate into love. Hope you understand my crazy ramblings. Once I'm on a roll its hard to stop. :nerd:

Signature
All I want to do is read all day long. Can someone tell me how I can get a job like that! LET'S LEAD THE PROFESSIONAL READERS REVOLUTION!!! Any takers???

Hell no, the greatest cruelties do not come from people that care for anything intensly. Monsters like Hitler, Stalin, and Pol Pot only "cared" for their own ambitions and power. They didn't wipe out millions of people because they had a cause they cared for. Rather they just used it as an excuse to do so. They probably didn't really even care for anything because to be as sadistic an individual as them it's doubtful you'd be capable of anykind of attachment to people or even an ideal.

RainOfStars

RainOfStars

Elusive Dream

In order to use cruelty, you need something to motivate you, and love is one of the strongest motivation in our world. With love as a motivation, one is capable to do great evil or good.

Love and hate are basically the same thing. Both are strong obsessions of a certain thing or someone. Such strong emotions are hard to control, and they often shifts side. ( For example, my girlfriend used to love me a lot. Now she hates me.) The only difference between the two is only if one wishes to do harm to another.

Signature

Minato

Minato

...scatter the dream...

Yes...one could say that cruelty can only be born through one's caring for something, be it a living being or an ideal.

Kuzain

eeto...uumo...

Quote by kain11cool quote and i do think love and hate are inseperable
and i dont know its from :sweat: ^_^'

Taoism holds that Love and Hate aren't just inseperable, they're the same thing. Love and Hate both stem from deep emotional attachment and are simply two sides of the same coin. Whatever you can love, you can also hate.

~*Signature
	Image*~
Osaka-san!

Another author put it in slightly simpler terms: 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions'; the words are a bit different, but I believe the spirit of both sentiments is rather similar.

As a rule, I tend to shy away from absolutes and blanket statements, but I believe that what both people wrote is - or at the least can be - entirely true. I'm no student of philosophy, and others here have already made the case better than I could; but I think that conceptually, the leap from caring about a cause or goal very strongly to doing bad or even terrible things for the sake of it is a not an especially great one.

So the long and the short of it is that, yes, I am inclined to agree with the original sentiment as posited in your post, VagrantDreamer.

On a side note, I don't recognize your quote - where did you find it, if you don't mind giving up the secret? :)

QVOD VITA FACIMVS AETERNITATE SONABIT.

VagrantDreamer

VagrantDreamer

Daydreaming ...

Quote by Gilt where did you find it, if you don't mind giving up the secret? :)

hehe .. the quote came from terry goodkind's "wizards first rule" on page 697 ... the series isnt' that bad, so u might wanna check it out if ur into fantasy, and scifi ...

Samika

Samika

Homonculous

Its a fine line between love and hate. Like genius and insanity. Lol.

But I agree. What a person does out of love might ultimately end up hurting the other person really bad.

"If I'm as pure and straight as you say... It's because you're at the end of my path." ~ Parfait Tic
"The hardest thing to endure, is to live in a world without out you in it." ~ Autumn in My Heart
"In my heart, there is an equation... 'Someone my friend likes=Some one that has nothing to do with me.' Thats why."- By the Lotus Leaves

Ok so what your saying is that people like Hitler and Stalin intensely "loved" their respective countries. And that drove them to send tens of millions of people to death camps and gulags out of "love". You have to be either fucking naive to the point that you deserve a bullet to the head or stupid to the point where you would deserve the same fate. For individuals as twisted as they were probably the only thing they could feel is hate. Monsters like Pol Pot, Mao, and Hitler only have causes and ideals to have as an excuse for the atrocities they commit,

VagrantDreamer

VagrantDreamer

Daydreaming ...

Quote by DarkFate13Ok so what your saying is that people like Hitler and Stalin intensely
"loved" their respective countries. And that drove them to send tens of
millions of people to death camps and gulags out of "love". You have to
be either fucking naive to the point that you deserve a bullet to the
head or stupid to the point where you would deserve the same fate. For
individuals as twisted as they were probably the only thing they could
feel is hate. Monsters like Pol Pot, Mao, and Hitler only have causes
and ideals to have as an excuse for the atrocities they commit,

well aren't you rude? and no that wasn't my point, what i meant was that they had to love what they were doing to be able to do what they did, what i mean is, is that one needs to ahve the capacity to love in order to hate or vise versa. because if you were indifferent to something then why would you put so much effort into getting it done? that is my point i'm trying to make, and please, try not to be such an ass next time.

Barbara

Tomorrow is another day

Quote by VagrantDreamerI posed this question at another forums a while ago and i got a many well thought out and sincere replies .... so i decided to post it here to see what replies i'd get back ...

First of all, thanks for sharing this here, very interesting topic indeed. *Stay back and start typing*

Quote by VagrantDreamer so i was reading a book not too long ago, when i came across the sentence "It is said that the deepest cruelty comes from the deepest caring". at first i laughed this off as an author's rambling because it was such a contridictory statement that it couldn't be true,...

I heard about this sentence before from some friends long ago. First, I thought just like you, how nonsense this was, since you love and care about someone, how come they can treat them in a deepest cruelty way. Since then, I saw in real life things happens exactly as what the sentence states. I myself feel that too, if I care deeply for someone, I'll be very strict to that person. I would not do that for the people that I don't care. For example, if a normal friend, a friend that I just meet like once in a while and we don't really have anything to do with each other, I wouldn't care if she/he hangs out with good friends or bad friends. But if it's my best friend, I would tell them not to do that, if they don't listen to me I may be not talk to them anymore, I want them to choose between me and the other bad friends, if I'm not good enough to be their friends than those bad people then I and my friends will not have anything to do together anymore, I don't want to see my dear friends going down like that....it's a typical example that I can think of, I did it once, my friend didn't listen to me, now her life is just misery. I'm so sad to see her that but even my parents don't want me to talk to her again...

Quote by VagrantDreamer however, as i found myself time and time again thinking back to that sentence, i began to realize that maybe there was truth in that statement. think about it, a serial killer has to love whats he is doing to continue it, and a mother will kill to get her child back... so in my contemplation, i brought up the question, is love and hate so interlinked that it is inseperable or are they so different from each other that there can be no way that they can be interlinked at all... i choose the fact that love and hate are interlinked ... i see now that withouth hate, there would be no love, a bleak prospect in my opinion ...
so i give u the same question ... does the greatest cruelty come fromt the greatest caring? and is love and hate inseperable ???
o and a final question ... try and guess where i got the quote from! XD

yes, love and hate do interlinked, you can at the same time love and hate one person that you care....*nods* and yep, mother can kill to get her child back, it's so true, there's no love greater than love of parents to their children, they can sacrifice everything for their children, they can be in deep misery just to see their children being happy. Pretty much it.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world
- Bill Wilson -

Quote by VagrantDreamer

Quote by Gilt where did you find it, if you don't mind giving up
the secret? :)

hehe .. the quote came from terry goodkind's "wizards first rule" on
page 697 ... the series isnt' that bad, so u might wanna check it out
if ur into fantasy, and scifi ...

I don't think that was the first rule, though frankly I am not sure either which rule that is. Could be the fifth ot sixth rule...

Yes, I am a fan of Terry Brook's Sword of Truth series.

Ghai

Ghai

Xullreyvias

yeah i would have to agree that love and hate are interlinked and yes that phrase is so true. the deepest cruelty comes from the deepest caring.
just like in some romance shows, leaving the one you love might be as cruel as it can get but if you know you are going to be a huge burden be it because of sickness/holding back their ideals etc, if you really care u will have to be cruel =D

yeah i like that phrase too=D

WWLAOS

DOMiT

I can't remember who said it, and that bothers me, but someone once said that love and hate are the same emotion applied towards different means. I certainly agree with this assessment. If you really sit down and think about it, the two truly are inseperable. Love and hate are both a grim determination to put something else ahead of yourself, be it a person, an object, or an ideal. If you love someone, truly love them, your own possessions, emotions...even your very life is meaningless before their wellbeing. Heck, even other people's lives lose value when compared to that person's (or object's/ideal's) wellbeing or success. They are your everything. True hatred is the same way. So long as your goal is achieved your own life may be forfeit without a care from you. Lesser saturations of love/hatred is the same way, it's just harder to prove as an absolute. Why? Because you may love or hate something, but not to the same extent as in the pure form of the emotion. Instead, some of that love (or possibly hatred) still clings to your own life or something else. You may love your country, but not so much as you love yourself. In essence, you both love and hate your country simultaneously. It's complicated because when the emotion is not in its purest form you are left to makeing comparisons between different things of relative value. I love both my computer and my left leg, but compared to my leg my computer can go to hell for all I care. Now if it was someone else's leg at stake...sorry dude, I'm not losing that computer. :) I love my computer relative to, say, broccoli, but when something more dear to me is at stake I hate my computer. It's a pain, really. People often say that they both love and hate something, but they're just confused. They are trying to apply an absolute deffinition to a feeling that, for them, is not absolute. Anyway, I'm writing too much and at this rate I'm liabel to start rambling (more). But, yeah, that's my 26 yen.

You see this kind of thing all the time...it invariably ends with eating people. - Dr. Dale L. Reuss

VagrantDreamer

VagrantDreamer

Daydreaming ...

Quote by Enchanter

Quote by VagrantDreamer

Quote by Gilt where did you find it, if you
don't mind giving up
the secret? :)

hehe .. the quote came from terry goodkind's "wizards first rule" on
page 697 ... the series isnt' that bad, so u might wanna check it out
if ur into fantasy, and scifi ...

I don't think that was the first rule, though frankly I am not sure
either which rule that is. Could be the fifth ot sixth rule...
Yes, I am a fan of Terry Brook's Sword of Truth series.

no no! i meant the book wizards first rule!! XD his actual first rule was "people are stupid, they will believe in anyhting even if it isn't true if it serves them and is of use to them ...

Sakura0chan

Sakura0chan

Nihongo o naraitai

I agree with the quote. Love and hate are interlinked. Love and hate cannot be separated.
When there's love there's also hate. ^^

artriki

artriki

gif dbz

Quote by Kumiko-HI believe the quote is correct, also. A person can care for anything, become obsessed with it and allow that obsession to overwhelm them. If the "thing" somehow becomes tainted the obession turns to anger. I believe that anger transforms love into hate. This is the reason why the two are so close. Like the song says, "Its a thin line between love and hate." I think that time, tolerance, and many emotions change hate to into love, but this is harder to accomplish. But in my opinion it is a lot easier to turn love into hate than it is to turn hate into love. Hope you understand my crazy ramblings. Once I'm on a roll its hard to stop. :nerd:

Hey sounds good 2 me/my thougts exactly! When love is not returned it almost always causes a broken heart and a broken heart will do almost anything. Thats why it is common for guyz to get tires slashed, for old girlfriends 2 cause a bunch of mess because she din't get what she wanted and felt she deserved. Even beat themselves and say the guy did it to cause a simallar pain.You caused me pain so I will cause you pain.Next thing you know your on your way 2 jail. Never happend to me and I will try to never cause it to.

time can't be saved...only spent message from the TAO

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.