Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Deus ex Machina - Minitokyo

Deus ex Machina

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Minato

Minato

...scatter the dream...

I was wondering about this...

...most creation myths state that a higher existance created the Earth, that all lving things came from its power...
...if this is so, is mankind trying to become its own god by replacing this natural world with machines? If he develops an inorganic something that can transpirate, what need will he have for flora? If he can create synthetic food, what need will he have for fauna? If he can enable life on another planet, what need will he have for this earth?

And will he eventually destroy himself with his creations? Or will he make himself immortal, by the grace of this mechanized god?

ohmygoshainuyasha

ohmygoshainuyasha

Don't make me think.

Whoa too deep. Don't wanna think about it.

RainOfStars

RainOfStars

Elusive Dream

Mmm, you make an excellent point here. If we created a mechanized god, wouldn't he create more of his kind, and replace every living thing wehave in this world.

Wow, this really scares me about advancing our technology. I guess if we are ever going to create something like that. We will need a way to control it to the tiniest detail.

Signature

jendeathbot

jendeathbot

death is only the begining

yes.. I agree with what you've just said. And it is an interesting concept. Man is trying to become his own God (or surpreme being), and it is foretold- according to the Book of Revelations will have an all out war against their creator for power- that is the Apocalypse.

#JapaneseLover#
~Serenity~
[Hispanime] ::Christian-Fellowship::FMA fans::YNM fans::Jpop Fans::SCII fans::QuizCrazy::[Adult-Swim-Watchers]::

streamside

streamside

deranged.

Um... according to Wikipedia:

Deus ex machina is Latin for "god from the machine" and is a calque from the Greek "από μηχανής θεός", (pronounced "apo mekhanes theos"). It originated with Greek and Roman theater, when a mechane would lower a god or gods onstage to resolve a hopeless situation. Thus, "god comes from the machine". The phrase deus ex machina has been extended to refer to any resolution to a story which does not pay due regard to the story's internal logic and is so unlikely it challenges suspension of disbelief, and presumably allows the author to end it in the way he or she wanted.

The pronunciation of the phrase is a problem in English. Traditional ways of saying Latin would have it something like DAY-us ex MAK-in-a, while more modern ways of pronouncing Latin would give perhaps DAY-oos ex MAH-kin-ah, but many people naturally bring in the modern English m'SHEEN, resulting in a mixed pronunciation.

The Greek tragedian Euripides was notorious for using this plot device.

---

Minato, you're making a scary point with saying 'creating inorganic something'
gosh...

However, I don't think man will create a 'mechanized god', as long as we have the Bible...

In referal to Wikipedia, the Deus ex Machina is somewhat a fictional character...
It is a god - I imagine he would be inside or on the mecha - that will interfere in a 'hopeless situation' - a keeper of the balance?

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu

"A journey of a thousand miles...
is better in a car."

Minato

Minato

...scatter the dream...

I took the phrase literally, in this case; man may soon see fit to give his creations "souls."

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.