Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Anyone use a Shuttle? - Minitokyo

Anyone use a Shuttle?

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 61 total items

chichiri1907

chichiri1907

Sweet Dreams

Don't have one but they lok awesome^^
-chichiri1907

Signature Image
Suuki <3 made the amazing avatar/sig. set

I have one. Very delicate design. If you don't play 3D game or process some massive jobs, and have no need to take it around, then this is the best choice. But the most disadvantage is its extention ability. I connect 2 additional external HD to my xpc, and I become most stupid in the world...

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

Quote by orangejamI have one. Very delicate design. If you don't play 3D game or process
some massive jobs, and have no need to take it around, then this is a
best choice. But the most disadvantage is its extention abilit. I
connect 2 additional external HD to my xpc, and I become most stupid in
the world...

How many HDDs do you need? o_O

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

ThePanda

ThePanda

Muffin Bucket

Quote by Aa-chanHow many HDDs do you need? o_O

I'm at four with a fifth on the way, and nowhere near done. This is probably the only reason a shuttle doesn't suit me. External hard drives just don't have fast enough transfer rates to satisfy. >_>

Signature

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

I see where your problem is, but I think bigger capacity drives are starting to make this excuse void.

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

No kidding. You can get 500gb in a consumer IDE drive now.

Besides, if you have that large of storage needs, why not make a little server out of some old parts. I use a small 10,000rpm drive in mine for optimal speed, then a bit over a terabyte of storage on the network for fansub videos, music, etc. I put it in a closet and more or less never have to touch it. That leaves my desktop Shuttle nice and quiet, cool and fast.

ThePanda

ThePanda

Muffin Bucket

Quote by Aa-chanI see where your problem is, but I think bigger capacity drives are starting to make this excuse void.

It's also the fact that I have three PCI cards, an AGP card with a VGA silencer on it, and tall ram. The larger capacity drives tend to be expensive, and I only add drives when I'm running low on space. I'm also looking for performance, which is why I'm going for a 300gb drive with a 16mb cache rather than a 400gb drive with an 8mb cache. I'm also buying only SATA drives from now on. The motherboards are an issue in and of themselves, as I prefer a wide selection (manufacturer as well as model) when building. I just don't like compact things, be it cars or computers, I like having ample space. ^^;

Plus, I have 2 optical drives and a L.I.S2. One 5.25" bay won't do. :P

Signature

Quote by Aa-chanHow many HDDs do you need? o_O

I've connect two external HD. Well, this is not the best way, but it's still a convenient way to solve draining of capacity.

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Quote by Aa-chan

Quote by shinsengumiI've built a number of these as test systems at work, and they're not bad, except that I've found that heat can be a very big issue, because ribbons and cables going every which way inside isn't exactly conducive to good air flow, so when you're setting one of these up, make keep this in mind.

On the other hand, if decked out properly, these make excellent LAN party systems because of how easily they can be transported. I know a friend of mine, though a Mac user, uses his Shuttle box for his gaming needs, and it seems to run pretty well most of the time.

To a certain extent I agree, but I know that the ICE cooler is the most efficient CPU cooler I have ever used. Also, with Shuttles, the internal cabling is always tied down around the chassis and so I've never seen the ribbon cables as a problem before.

I organized a LAN party last night, and that friend of mine who I mentioned above was one of the people in attendance. A couple hours into CS:Source, his Shuttle was definitely overheating and running at some ridiculous temperature; one of the running jokes of the night was that if we wanted our pizza reheated, we sould just put it on his case for a couple seconds. Running with the cover off seemed to help a little bit, because it was clear that airflow was a significant issue.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

I can only assume something must have been wrong with his unit or he hadn't applied the thermal paste correctly because I've never run into such difficulties, even with high end components. It's true that the ambient temp of the room does matter to the overall temp.

Quote by shinsengumiI organized a LAN party last night, and that friend of mine who I mentioned above was one of the people in attendance. A couple hours into CS:Source, his Shuttle was definitely overheating and running at some ridiculous temperature; one of the running jokes of the night was that if we wanted our pizza reheated, we sould just put it on his case for a couple seconds. Running with the cover off seemed to help a little bit, because it was clear that airflow was a significant issue.

Funny story, but I do not understand why I can for DAYS Prime95, 3DMark05 and CS:Source (bench or play, take your pick) with a 100w+ processor, a X800 (or 6800gt), an Audigy 2, a 10,000rpm drive etc and not even come close to overheating in the worst conditions when others have problems. I have my doubts they are applying their transfer compound properly (amount, type, spread, air pockets) not using good cable management (Shuttles come with all sorts of ties) or forcing the fan to run at the lowest setting (Yet, even then, it kicks it up to max in an emergency, but you can't protect a user from themselves).

Seriously, I own and have torture tested basically every model from Northwood core P4s and Athlon X-Ps to egg-frying Prescott 775s and Athlon 64s, hot and cool video cards and hard drives alike. Heck, one gaming system has a Raptor 10k RPM, x800xt, 300gb SATA Seagate, 2GB of RAM and a 3.4 chip in it yet never crashes or even gets very hot.

What are these people doing to overheat anyway? It simply baffles me.

ozma255

ozma255

Vectorman!

I haven't used one but after seeing the pic I want one, looks really cool, how much does one cost? :)

Signature

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

Quote by ozma255I haven't used one but after seeing the pic I want one, looks really cool, how much does one cost? :)

Cheap ones are about £150 and the new ones reach about £300 :) .

page 3 of 3 « Previous 1 2 3 61 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.