Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Evangelion Question (?) - Minitokyo

Evangelion Question (?)

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Recently I purchased the 26-Episode Evangelion series (after hearing time and again in one form or another that this was the one I had to see).

After watching them I can say that I definitely enjoyed the series a great deal.

But, I want to say that somewhere along the line I read that there was a movie, or something, that I needed to see in order to clarify the story a little.

That sound familiar?

Can anyone clarify what it might be?

Thanks!

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

There is a movie and then there is another that is just a summary of the series.

'End of Evangelion' - film
'Death and Rebirth' - summary

You can watch both if you like, but you wouldn't be missing much in only watching the film.

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

[edit/shinsengumi: please post only in English on the forums]

You can see an art gallery of the movie here: http://www.wetaworkshop.co.nz/projects/filmography/film/neon_genesis

WWLAOS

DOMiT

The movie End of Evangelion is what many people consider to be the "real" end of the TV series as well. Many were very unhappy with the last few episodes of the show and the movie was a bit more...fulfilling. There's also Death and Rebirth...but that's just a repeat and summary of everyhting that had happened up to the time that the "movie" was made.

i recommend seeing End of Evangelion, it's actually quite good. It fits in somewhere between episodes 24 and 25, I'd say. In my thoughts, episodes 25 and 26 are actually taking place during part of the movie, but...that's just my opinion.

Edit: Oh...other people beat me too it. It takes me way to long to post...

You see this kind of thing all the time...it invariably ends with eating people. - Dr. Dale L. Reuss

Thanks, folks, that'll help!

I'll probably purchase 'End Of...' so as to get some finality to the story and then pick up 'Death and Rebirth' later if I ever see it on sale or what not.

Appreciate the assist.

Kidder

Kidder

we are fighting dreamers

yeah End of Evangelion is a much better finale than the last eps of the series. The final sequence is stunning and the ending is a lot easier to understand because it's done less abstractly compared to the series ending.

Signature
a big thank you to k1ru for the sweet siggy.

Join Gekkostate now! MT's only Eureka 7 fan group!

Davo

Davo

I'll kill you

the final of the series tell the final of the movies in subjective form i noted this and the other i don't like the idea of a new movie of Evangelion probably is internet joke

Signature Image
DAVO THE ECCHIMAKER :"If a demon stands in my way, I will cut him apart. If a saint stands in my way, I will cut him apart"

I think the end was a litlle stupid....
the last think i saw was Asuka saying "I fell sick"....
And the.....
.... the end....

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

I am of the minority that think the original eva ending was a fitting end to the series. Eva is one that has many deep, philosophical undercurrents that enhance just the standard mech fight. Each character has a very complex life that is full of emotions and problems that a simple glance cannot fanthom. As the series progressed, more and more of these problems are revealed as everyone struggles with their own inner demons.

That is why the last episodes, a deep introspective self-reflection is IMO a fitting end. I think there needs to be a time in which the series steps back from the hustle-bustle eva vs angel battle and allow each character to really take a deep look at him/herself and face things that they have either never known or have refused to acknowledge. Which is what these last episodes did. I liked the introspection as a finale to cap a series that really shines in thematic development.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

tiantito

tiantito

-[D]-

well the serie is really cool but i dont like the last two episodes ...and in the movie i dont like the whole psycological thing too much
but i think is one of the best animes ive watched

Producto de exportacion Colombiano / Colombian exportation product
Signature

there is also a live action movie in production by the weta studios people and gainex

Thanks again for all the replies, very helpful.

(First I've heard of a live-action movie.)

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

live action? really...... That's the first time i've heard of it too.

Not sure if I want to ever see it though. Always had an aversion for live action conversions from anime.

EternalParadox

WWLAOS

DOMiT

Quote by EternalParadoxI am of the minority that think the original eva ending was a fitting
end to the series. Eva is one that has many deep, philosophical
undercurrents that enhance just the standard mech fight. Each character
has a very complex life that is full of emotions and problems that a
simple glance cannot fanthom. As the series progressed, more and more
of these problems are revealed as everyone struggles with their own
inner demons. That is why the last episodes, a deep introspective
self-reflection is IMO a fitting end. I think there needs to be a time
in which the series steps back from the hustle-bustle eva vs angel
battle and allow each character to really take a deep look at
him/herself and face things that they have either never known or have
refused to acknowledge. Which is what these last episodes did. I liked
the introspection as a finale to cap a series that really shines in
thematic development.

Gotta agree with you there, EternalParadox. I think the last two episodes were a very fitting end to the series. I thought the movie was great too, I just saw no problem with the episodes. Like I mentioned, I interpret it as episodes 25 and 26 take place during the movie when Shinji is...shall we say..."deciding." Just my take on it though. I know of no confirmation either way. But yeah, I wouldn't change the last two episodes for anything. Well...I'm sure we could find some price I'd be willing to negotiate for, but you get the point.

You see this kind of thing all the time...it invariably ends with eating people. - Dr. Dale L. Reuss

animefreak3

animefreak3

Serpentarius

I think to really "get" eva, you need to research who it was modeled after. It's easy to get wrapped up in both the action, and introspective elements. People forget the political overtones all too quickly.

That's all the hint I'm offering. The rest comes wide open, I hope you enjoy it.

We begin and end in nothingness. Our darkness is confronting our ultimate nature, for nothing can come from nothing. We must sow the wind and reap the void, since the now is all we have. Together, we walk in darkness.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

Not only should one do a bit research on what it's modeled after, to truly understand everything you need a fairly vast knowledge of the more obscure Biblical references. Not to spoil anything specific, but I picked up alot, some of which I bet that not only would the non-christian not know, that even some average not so well studied christians wouldn't know either.

The philosophical stuff strikes me in an area that I like the most. I guess it's because of my education. :)

EternalParadox

animefreak3

animefreak3

Serpentarius

Quote by EternalParadoxNot only should one do a bit research on what it's modeled after, to truly understand everything you need a fairly vast knowledge of the more obscure Biblical references. [...] some of which I bet that not only would the non-christian not know, that even some average not so well studied christians wouldn't know either.

Agreed, also there is stuff there from Jewish mystic literature. I know many Christians would like to think they are based on Jewish belief, but what they don't know could fill volumes. On the other hand, as much as this adds to the final message once you have heard it.

i still think the political element is where you should focus. Just to be clear. To get the political message watch everything except 25 and 26, then watch the end of eva movie. This is the alternate ending, but seen from a different perspective. (spelled out in detail) Watching Gendo is the best way to do this.

Once you have this, you need to refocus on 25, 26, and the Death and Rebirth movie. The first movie plays an intro to what happens with Shingi in the last two episodes. (also designed to spill the beans explicitly) This becomes the final climax to the series. Watching Ritsuko is the game here.

The religious elements are how the lilians choose to see the events as they happen. The philosophical elements are how the angels see the events, and are trying to understand the lilians. Both points are important to the end, but tell you nothing about what is happening, or the final meaning of the series. All of this is there without either of the movies. They just help to make it more obvious.

To only get the ending is in my opinion to miss the whole point of the series. Both parts need to be understood. The three things you should keep in mind at various stages are how did we get here, where were we trying to get to, and lastly where did Gendo take us and why? Outside of my friends, I have never seen this discussed in any sort of detail. This leads me to believe that most people have never even given it the first thought.

We begin and end in nothingness. Our darkness is confronting our ultimate nature, for nothing can come from nothing. We must sow the wind and reap the void, since the now is all we have. Together, we walk in darkness.

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.