Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Should children be hit as a form of punishment? - Minitokyo

Should children be hit as a form of punishment?

page 16 of 16 « Previous 1... 12 13 14 15 16 371 total items

yes it should be used

I personally undecided in this matter.

But I personally believe it is justifiable to hit your child for disciplinary reason (but of course only light hit)

it really depend on the mentality of the child. If somewhere down the track, the child start to think that he or she can do anything she like and not scared of their parents it can go out of control. that is where the disciplinary action need to take place.

I think US people spoil their kids too much. Kids that get hit by their parents when they do something really bad won't grow up to become drug addicts and scums. Unless you hit them too much.

to be honest...i would say YES, we should allow child physical discipline.
i remember from back when i was young...whenever i did something wrong, my parents (mostly dad) would hit me with a thin but long bamboo stick that was very whip-like.
according to his reasoning as to why we should give physical punishments is that...children at that age when they are experimenting with everything they can get their hands on, they may not exactly know what would be considered as the 'right' thing to do or the 'wrong' thing to do. children at that age also do not necessarily have a very good understanding for the moral sense or the emotions of fear and being able to sense danger or that something is dangerous. it is not point trying to explain or rationalize these reasons to them at such an age because the majority would just not understand the meaning behind your actions.
that is why, instead of explaining to them in detail about something that they might not understand and remember, it may be best to discipline the child immediately after the negative action has been performed, and make it clear that the same consequences will apply if this action (or similar actions) are repeated.
that way, what we would be doing is stopping the likihood of the action repeating by placing fear of punishment into the minds of these children. once they have reached an older age where they are capable of independent thoughts and thinking, THEN, we can explain to them (if need be that they havent understood it themselves), the reasons behind our actions at that time.

this was really my father's reasoning to this issue but i would actually quite strongly agree with it. but now, there are the issues of child discipline made illegal which restricts what parents can do and perhaps how much control they have over the development of their children. to me, this is a negative outcome that needs fixing...somehow

MillionVoices

~Live Your Life~

Quote by KnezMilos13I think US people spoil their kids too much. Kids that get hit by their parents when they do something really bad won't grow up to become drug addicts and scums. Unless you hit them too much.

I don't know what you mean by US people. If your talking about people that live in the United States then you are wrong. And if your not, then I apologize in advance for what I'am about to say. But what you just said about US people spoiling their kids is not true. I will admit that most parents will do any and everything for kid('s), but what parents wouldn'y want to do that for their child. It's not just an american thing, it's a universal trend. Everyone does it, it's one stage of parenting out of countless others.

You shouldn't justify the American culure by what you see on t.v. or by what you here. You should go and walk a mile in the american lifestyle before you make baseless judgments like that.

animekikyoustormelissa

animekikyoustormelissa

~Most Impossiblites Are Reality

my parents,
when i did something bad,
i was yelled at spanked on my rear or kick by a metal-toed boot
then sent to my room
after that mom and dad will apoligze and then lecture

so yah after 9 years i was good.
i would re-think descions and therefore no longer bad.
but then when my sister was born they did that for 3yrs until well
people started getting arrested for slaping or even hitting their kid with a sweat-shirt
so hah
yah my sister is a jack-ass and so are most of her friends
theyre evil basical
oh and if u look at 14yr olds yah they do some pretty horrid stuff
like one time when they like 10 and went to INTERLOCKEN a camp in NH well
they stripped like in Public
ummm these kids are freshmen at my highschool
1. lots of fights are brekin out 6 last 2 weeks, last yr freshman thrice for the WHOLE year.
2. Sophmores this yr and Freashman a lot more swearing.
3. teachers crying
4. talking about killing
5. crowed hallways like 2yrs ago it was always people said excuse me and stayed to their right.
OG you have to shove people and most of the time people are late to class
and then 10-20 minutes later the freashmen actually come to class.
6. NOne of them are serious in class and they wont shut-up no matter how much the teacher yells
so like u can imagine how pissed off the junoirs and seniors are.
yah i could tell u a few stories.
7. o god i dont even want to wright or type this down but a janitor caught 6 freashmen having sex on the roof. that never happened before.

so these kids are aweful and so are the middleschool kids
oh the other thursday the middleschoolers were tossing acors at anyone close enough and some of the freashmen and sophmores were talking about sex and we're only split by either one or two seats.
Yah me and the rest of us wanted to punch them, but sadly we didnt.
oh we share a bus with elemetary lking about this stuff in front of my 10yr sister and other little tiks
fortually the bus diver threated them ha it was great, and the one tik that was my sisters friend was scared half to death and so were a few others, so
thats it hitting your kid is 1000% my way none of those kids were disaplined
dear god,
at least i only have two more years of school!

I think hitting a child is not the first form of discipline. However, if ALL ELSE has failed and nothing works, then it is a last ditch option. Some children just do not learn. "Hitting" sounds so bad, but you can smack them lightly on the hand or something that will just sting slightly. This shows the child that you *could* hurt them if they refuse to cooperate, without actually hurting them. It just shows them who is boss, so to speak. Of course, this has to be accompanied by an explanation to the child of *why* they are being hit and what they have done wrong, and how they should change for the future.

Some people are so used to hitting their children that they don't offer any explanation at all, and just beating them up out of no where cause they pissed you off is not going to teach them anything except to make the child hate the parent. I think other forms are punishment are better, such as making them write "I will not do ______ again" 1000 times. That is VERY effective (speaking from experience). Much better than a beating that just leave the child confused.

Treating the children like adults and sitting down and talking to them actually works. The parents need to respect the children before the children will reciprocate the respect.

Speaking from experience, excessively hitting a child without explanation can and will leave everlasting emotional scars and make the child hate the parent. (I hate my father because of that, still do, and always will.)

Lacuslover81

Lacuslover81

One big and true lover of Lacus

i don't like the idea of striking a child.

A true lover of Lacus Member of Kira-and-Lacus-in-Love

The biggest problem is the "fine" line between punishing, and abusing. And then there is the fact that often children act out cause they not getting the right attention. Kids are just like us, no two children are alike. And as that is the case, there is no one way to deal with them. Some kids respond to being treated like a normal person, (not talked down to) and others just seem to respond to physical punishment.
Plain and simple, the best way depends on the child.

In some cases pain is still the best catalyst to learning some discipline and it is true that it is worse to spare the rod and spoil the child. However, it is still best to be able to make the child understand through reasoning.

page 16 of 16 « Previous 1... 12 13 14 15 16 371 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.