Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Should children be hit as a form of punishment? - Minitokyo

Should children be hit as a form of punishment?

page 2 of 16 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 Next » 371 total items

Quote by ArinamiHellll yeah!
A swat set me straight faster than any parent-to-child conversation
did. A swat stopped me from doing whatever it was that got me swatted
immediately.
A swat stopped me from doing whatever it was that got me swatted in the
future.
A swat never really hurt, but I cried anyway.
I don't see anything wrong with hitting a child. I'm cautious about
slaps across the face (reserved for the most extreme cases of foul
language in a two year old) but there's nothing wrong with spanking. I
hear a lot of crap about it teaching a child how to be violent, and I
hear more crap about talking to your child is showing them "respect"
and teaching them a better lesson.
Personally, I never paid two shits when an adult attempted to talk to
me about something I did wrong. If I was swinging on a tree and was
being told not to, I wouldn't stop. But once that hand enters the game,
I stop. Ooo, do I ever.
Double personally, I always thought an adult who would try to talk to
me was "weak".
Triple it, I got spanked, but yet I'm not violent. It's the current
phase, parents are being brainwashed by morons like Dr. Phil and home
magazines telling them that it's wrong to hit a child. If you want to
raise a brat, go right ahead. Children can't compromise properly, and
they have relatively short attention spans. They're not going to sit
through a 20 minute lecture about why it's bad to beat up their little
brother. Oh, sure, they'll sit through it literally- you're forcing
them too - but ask them to repeat what you just said a half hour later
and you'll get a bunch of "ums" and "uhs".

arinami...why do i always find myself agreeing with you?..dis gurl is in my head an walking around...but when i was young and did stuff i got warnings, which -->never worked<-- and when i repeated the offense i was beat...by the time i was 7 i knew my parent's words as law! getting hit stayed in my memory and to this day i dont dare talk back to my parents...its like my respect for them is automatic..ingrained in my head...as for promoting violence..maybe thats kinda true, i used to fight alot(only when a girl talked about me behind my back, or if she was startin it wit me!).....but i would never fight some one older than me out of respect... but yeah, the folks i know who werent physically disciplined in some way @ a young age tend to be hella...immature, and i see them treat their parents like crap. but thats just the people i know, which isnt everyone in the world ...duh.

Quote by unicorn2006Hitting your kid too often is bad as it will probably increase their spanking-tolerance level, but using it smartly on occasion isn't a bad thing..

Spanking is simply a tool to help a child develop. As with any profession, you don't have just a hammer in your toolbox. Sure, studies can show that physical punishment doesn't connect the message to the pain - but that assumes no other effort was made to show the kid. If you don't even talk to your kid, and -only- physically punish him/her, then you're just as bad off as you are if you establish only impotent verbal consequences.

Watch the video. Observe how the teacher tried to have that kid empathize with the teacher whose (ceramic) apple she just broke on purpose. No remorse - if the kid hasn't developed at least some sense of empathy by that age, there is a parenting problem, plain and simple. Empathy for others helps develop instrinsic rewards and punishments as a child experiments with doing good and bad for others. This is inevitably the most effective method, because the child will not disagree with punishment and rewards they've dealt to themselves.

AngelicRhapsody

AngelicRhapsody

Mmm...Yaoi...

I think that spanking should only be used as a last resort. A lot of times kids don't learn from being spanked. They do however learn how to avoid getting punished and can come to resent their parents/guardian. It can also lead to what is called a punishment spiral, which is where the kid acts out, is punished, acts out in response to the punishment, and is punished again...and it keeps on going. Also, kids can pick up the idea that you hit people to get your way, to get them to do what you want.

It's better to reinforce good behavior or use what is called 'negative punishment' which is where you take something away from the child (ie. grounding them or putting them in time out) However, in order for this to work properly parents have to be consistent and not let the kid off the hook early. And time can work a lot better than spanking as long as it's carried out properly and consistently (I've got a 10 page article on how to properly implement time-out that I had to read for my behavior modification course...which I'm supposed to be studying for....seeing as my final's tomorrow... ^_^' )...but yeah...that's my opinion...

Apparently I had a momentary lapse of sanity which I have yet to recover from.

fooblued

fooblued

British Fetishist

Quote by Arinami
A swat never really hurt, but I cried anyway.

Totally, when my Mom spanked me it was so much softer than my Dad's, but I cried harder because I realized that I was really dissappointing my Mom. It got the messege through to me.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

satan123

satan123

Supreme ruler of HELL

i don't think hitting is the best solution as it may generate fear and hatred in the child......

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

seiryumiko

seiryumiko

aka nike13

when i was younger i knew that if i did something wrong, id be punished, usually by a spanking or grounding. nowadays it seems like parents are afraid to enforce any dicipline with their children. i would never have dreamed of yelling back at my mother, throwing a temper tantrum in a store, or some of the other things i see kids get away with. if the kid knows there's gonna be reprocussions to their actions, they will behave, although i do know of some people who take it too far

so, all-in-all, spankings should be a form of punishment

soulas

The Crappah.

a child should only be spanked IF HE DID something seriously destructive or very wrong , like retaliating or tryign to hurt something.
if the child did something outta curiousity , like playing with expensive things, he should be taught not to.
scolding comes in only if he did something that isnt too serious - and i dont mean " YER SUCH A stupid asshole." , for if the parent said that, its as good as telling the kid to learn from them

~jz

did i just got thrown back in time by 2000 years?

sadotsu

sadotsu

Neko-sama

No way. Not in any circumstance. It hurts, it's that simple.

Brownie the Cat

maybe it depends on the kid...because i remember clearly associating what i did wrong with being beat (not spanked, folks) ...i know if my parents didnt use physical discipline, i'd do whatever the hell i wanted! what are they gonna do, make me sit there while they try to make me "understand"? or send me to my room so i could play wit my toys? i used to wish i could get punished like that....fear of beatins kept me from doing bad stuff..but my parents always communicated with me very well, so i always have loved them, an always will for that..i think kids need to learn from physical example...they cant really use their minds to figure stuff out like adults can....right?

only if nessesary. if theyre really really bad and begins to cause trouble and goes over the line, talk first then if he/she doesnt listen then he/she needs to be spanked.

Signature
oh yah?
can u say, GS/GSD fan crazy? yes u can. =]

yeah, thats true..communication is ultimately important..

I think a child should be spanked sometimes. I am thankful that my parents spanked me as a child, I learned some valuable lessons in behavoir.

Duuz

Duuz

Master of Disaster

Hell, I think some people should be caned like that one US kid got over in Tiawan for spray painting cars.

When I was punished I was always explained why. Taught that there are consequences for my actions. And often a verbal scolding wasn't enough, you can always shut those out and ignore them. A paddleing can't be ignored. It sends a clear message that you did wrong and crossed over the line.

Nothing abusive like 99 lashes with a cat-a-nine-tails. Just good swat to the fleshiest part of the body and message recieve. Stings a little, but no permanent damage. And maybe an ego that's getting a little too big is knocked down a few notches.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

I think limited spanking is okay... ...However, never in anger, and never without a discussion as to why first. There are only two reasons I can think of where a child might be spanked. ...In cases of lying to their parent or directly disobeying their parent. ...Other than that I can't see a good reason, and if I am so lucky as to maybe be a dad some day, I'll try to avoid those conditions anyways...

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

I think beating your child is just wrong. Period. There are much better ways to educate a young child than through physical violence.

And "a discussion of why first?" How awkward that would be? "Come here son, I'm going to spank you now because you were naughty. Don't you think you're deserving a good punishment?"

That's just wrong.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

kirchu

kirchu

Ryo

Talking about it is probably the best way. If you hit them, they might think it's okay to hit their children because their parents did that. >_<

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by EternalParadoxI think beating your child is just wrong. Period. There are much better
ways to educate a young child than through physical violence.
And "a discussion of why first?" How awkward that would be? "Come here
son, I'm going to spank you now because you were naughty. Don't you
think you're deserving a good punishment?"
That's just wrong.

Umm... No, that's really not quite what I had in mind. Perhaps something more along the lines of many chances, and lost trust, and needing to lay out where the lines are, and then going from there. ...And I really don't consider spanking beating. Beating implies uncontrolled, damaging physical acts in a violent setting.

In discipline, anger should not be present. Control and planning must be present. And the objective should never be to harm the child. "It hurts me more than you" should definitely be the case. ...But then again, hopefully I won't ever have to spank.

THE-DARK-PRINCE

THE-DARK-PRINCE

Only God can judge me

No... No... I disagree with those who hit thier children...
If they made something wrong just rebuke them...
Because if you hit your children you will implant a grudge inside thier heart and they will grow with this maybe and it will increase.... :) :D :)

http://img201.echo.cx/img201/7378/prince0gc.jpg

..........(((~ If u have no past, u have no present and no future ~)))...........

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

Quote by Archer79In discipline, anger should not be present. Control and planning must be
present. And the objective should never be to harm the child. "It hurts
me more than you" should definitely be the case. ...But then again,
hopefully I won't ever have to spank.

True. Discipline is always necessary in the education of a child. It's just that I cannot agree with anything physical due to my own moral reasons. But I see your point. :)

Plus I've always harbored resentment to physical punishment because of some painful personal experiences growing up.

EternalParadox

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote: /|\ /|\ /|\ /|\ /|\ /|\ /|\ /|\ /|\ /|\ /|\ /|\ /|\

I'm sorry to hear that. I was fortunate that my parents rarely lost their tempers, and when they did, they never lashed out at me. I know that's something I have to appreciate. I'm sorry to hear your experiences were to the contrary. :( (T-T)

Quote by EternalParadoxThere are much betterways to educate a young child than through physical violence.

Enlighten us with these proven methods. Again, spanking is not beating a child. Classifying it as such is to disrespect actual child beating for the heinous crime it is.

Quote by EternalParadoxAnd "a discussion of why first?" How awkward that would be?

Who cares how 'awkward' it would be. Parenting isn't supposed to be some ideal journey and is full of awkward moments. The important part is to help them develop a respect for consequences at a young age.

It's a last resort, not a first. As long as you treat it that way it will be a rarely used but valuable tool in bringing up a child. Fact is, kids often hear only what they want to, and even if you're doing a good job, their trust and respect for you is constantly at odds with their developing world view. This is a world they can see, touch and feel and is proving its laws to them every moment. Verbal and intangible warnings can only go so far because they cannot compete. They are usually high-level ideas and concepts that their brain is simply not capable of understanding until it further develops.

Of course you are fully entitled to your opinion and I am not trying to change it, but if you have not done so already I do encourage you to read some books and talk to doctors regarding infant and child developmental psychology. The first years are critical so it's best to approach the matter armed with the decades of research that have been done on the subject.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

Well, like I said, I have personal reasons to be against any form of physical punishment. And I use the term "beating" to mean physical punishment, not the kinda you do to street thugs.

I think effective communication skill is better. A calm discussion of actions and their consequences I believe is key.

I also think that I wouldn't leave the upbringing of my child to some research published in books. Each child is unique, and I think each parent should have his and her own way of educating a child.

I will not go on a moral crusade against different forms of discipline. Again, to each parent his or her own way. But I also know that I simply will NOT use physical punishment to discipline my child.

i do not want my son or daughter to grow up with the same painful memories I have. It still hurts deeply.

EternalParadox

True, each child is different, but certain problems are common between them. That is where developmental psychology can help you build your own approach. The only way one particular method could be chosen is if we were talking about a specific child and knew them very well - I just ask that people not totally toss out the idea that they may have to physically, but not harmfully, discipline their child. Lazy parents who use it as a crutch rather than a supplement give it a bad name.

No! Violence is a no no! And I promise if I were to have a family of my own I will never hit my children or even shout at then.

Signature

page 2 of 16 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 Next » 371 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.