Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Should children be hit as a form of punishment? - Minitokyo

Should children be hit as a form of punishment?

page 3 of 16 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Next » 371 total items

breadcrust

breadcrust

glowing city lights

they should, but not when it will cause an injurgy. kind of like pets, if they shit on the carpet, then you tell them off and hit them on the head. you know you arnt causing an injurgy, but it still hurts a bit, and the animal/kids (same thing? ;-) learn the lesson.

also, hitting children shouldnt be the first thing a parent resorts to, they should only hit their kids if they arn't listening to what the parent has to say.

and, no smacking bottoms! thats just discusting and wrong. XO

AdventChild

AdventChild

Second Rate Ninja

I don't see spanking as a bad thing. If a child misbehaves bad enough, they deserve one. Children get away with a lot of crap because people don't tell them no. On the other hand, I dont' believe in beating the heck out of a child. It's a fine line to walk.

SHURIKEN SHURIKEN

unicorn2006

Retired Moderator

unicorn2006

:.ICE:.:BIN.:

thanks everyone for the responses to the thread.. but i'd like to clarify, that I didnt mean 'hit' as in violently beating up the child. That's obviously bad from any standpoint I think. But within the realm of 'punishment' (not abuse) many people think laying hands on the child is wrong. But there are others who believe that such type of discipline is useful, sometimes necessary almost. And that's where I wanted the discussion to be, ^^

"Faith means believing in something that will only make sense in reverse."
"When men are the most sure and arrogant they are commonly the most mistaken..."

hellbomb

KaBoom!

there are other ways to disipline someone

....(_)_TNT_)----#
..(_)(_)_TNT_)----#
(_)(_)(_)_TNT_)----#
"somebody set up us the bomb"

THE-DARK-PRINCE

THE-DARK-PRINCE

Only God can judge me

I think the following essay suits the topic, hope you will get a benefit.....

Many parents use physical punishment to discipline their children. Others prefer to use different methods to reward good behavior or punish misbehavior. This essay will look at some of the arguments for and against physical punishment of children.

It is often claimed that physical punishment will damage children in later life. Opponents of corporal punishment claim that the children will grow up to become delinquents or even beat their wives. However, many happily married adults today were slapped when they were younger but have never hit their spouses. Another point often made is that physical punishment teaches children that you can use force to make others do what you want. In fact children brought up well soon learn that force by itself is nothing - it must be associated with right. Finally, some people say that punishing a child by smacking him will damage the relationship between the child and the parents. This is clearly wrong. Children who understand the reasons for rules will be happier than children who are not given clear guidelines.

There are definitely concerns about physical punishment. Some parents lose control and can injure children - even breaking bones or causing bruises. Others can use violence excessively or as the only method of discipline. In this case, the child will be hurt, fearful and anxious and will not learn to distinguish right from wrong. The biggest problem with physical violence is when it is not appropriate to the age of the child. It can be very effective to quickly smack a two-year-old who is screaming. However, it is not effective to beat a 16-year-old who is late for school once again.

In conclusion, physical punishment can be a useful method of discipline. However it should be the last choice for parents. If we want to build a world with less violence we must begin at home, and we must teach our children to be responsible.

..........(((~ If u have no past, u have no present and no future ~)))...........

No, they shouldnt hit their kids. They should find another way to descipline them. That does NOT include abusing them. *nods* ¦ ]

I don't think kids should be hit by anyone, especially by their own family. I've also written a paper about this, but I'm too lazy to elaborate and argue about everything. Basically, I would never hit my own kids. That's my personal decision.

Be Free and Masturbate

Yes if your kids are bad. just kick the shit out of then, no question ask.

Signature Image

sarisasenshi

sarisasenshi

Ninja of the Hidden Cult Fandoms

I'm a bit indifferent on the issue. As a child, I can only remember suffering an alternative method of punishment to spanking when I got into big trouble, but most of the time I either avoided it or recieved some other smaller form of punishment. But in terms of conditioning children to behave better in general, I don't think hitting is really the answer.

Pain is a temporary thing, and will last about only a minute. Depending on the age of a child, this fear of pain can be a terror or a nuisance. Some children get into so much trouble that they don't even care anymore. That is my first arguement. My second arguement is that is can be taken to far by irresponsible adults, blossoming into abuse. Even worse, it could teach a child that is alright to hit others in order to "teach them a lesson." I believe that would only make matters worse, but please remember that it is all in theory.

Note that I have worked with children for several years now as a babysitter, chaperone and overseer. I have worked with both the young and the adult and have to handle my share of problems sometimes. But from my personal experience, words tend to sink in much deeper in even the most troubling sorts of children, especially when all they want to do is feel needed. I have never, in my entire experience of caring for children, raised my hand to a child. I believe violence, even to discipline is wrong, and will instead reply on other means such as taking privaleges away, stay with the child, or like with "grounding," isolate them under special conditions.

Besides, usually when a child is mishaving, there is definitely a bigger reason as to why than "just because." Believe me, I know.

bbls

bbls

Lazy days...

my personal opinion is that spanking is acceptable as a disciplinary measure when a child does something quite bad and not to be used for minor infractions. i used to be spanked as a kid, and i learned my boundaries...altho' i think my dad sometimes went too far because he had a horrible korean temper...and i would try not to misbehave because i feared him more than anything else. but their discipline was not only limited to spanking...they would give me severe lectures and know how to make me feel guilty so i wouldn't stray. i think it's alright to use a combination of words and spanking. i think spanking in certain situations teaches younger kids in concrete terms what is right and wrong. i don't think spanking is necessary for much older kids, like pre-teens and teenagers, because they should be mature enough to understand consequences through lectures and serious talking-to's.

Don't worry about tomorrow, don't think about yesterday,
don't live in the future, just make it through today!

Signature Image

danslasher

danslasher

ecchi fan

no. child's actions are all natural. there are many ways of convincing a child to behave properly or act according to what they want.

00100 00001 01110 10011 01000 00001 10011 01000 00101 10010

Quote by dalfireashaIt dependends on the severity of the disobedience. But I for one am a firm believer in span king if it is for the right reason, and always on the bottom never anywhere else.

same same. if what they did warrents a spanking they would get one

Signature

I think that hitting a child is wrong... except when a child has done something seriously bad then it's ok, i guess...

Definitley. My parents beat the crap outta me whenever I deserved it (and I did deserve it many times). Now, I'm not saying they should slug their kids with a baseball bat, but slap that little twit, or spank him so hard he won't be able to sit down.

Grounding me would have done nothing but let me sit and think of ways to not get caught or get revenge. Beating is a swift and painful punishment that would give me pause before I had the choice of doing something bad.

I think not. There are much better methods to bring up a child. Without hitting. A child is reasonable and you can explain a lot.

Signature Image
Open your eyes...
I am a member of COLOFULL WALLIES!

sailoruniverse

sailoruniverse

supreme archer

Quote by LinearXI'm glad I got hit (but not abused) as a kid. When you're a kid you're too pig-headed to understand most punishment, but a little pain is something any kid can understand. Send a kid to his room and all he will do is fume about how he's right and you're just mean and shouldn't be obeyed. That's not the lesson he needs to learn and you're setting him/her up for poor relations later in life. THAT is what makes a bad parent - because in effect, you're not sticking up for him in his challenge to develop critical life reasoning - right vs wrong, mine vs yours, etc.
Spanking is not abuse and shouldn't be lumped in with the idiot scumbag parents who punch their kids or use makeshift beatsticks on them.

yeah man i totally agree! though i have seen kids get spanked too often over trivial stuff, and the parents not explain to the child what he did wrong. Saying jus "dont do that" allows the child to do it over again, (thats in the case of a child who always get spanked over silly things)
Some kids i believe dont get enough spankin, and the little they get was when they were 6 or 7. My family believes your never too old to get a spankin! lol. though i dont get spankings anymore. I guess i can say that the age to stop spankin should be around 12/13,knock them senseless before they get into there teenage years so that they can obey you!lol.

Signature in violation of the Signature Guidelines

PwnOXz0r

PwnOXz0r

The One

No. A parent hitting their child (even in the way you described) is called an 'illegal action' known as minor child abuse. It's just who your parents are. Some parents are idiots so their kids end out as idiots.

Join us. There is no option but Green.
Be bold, think Green www.limerockcafe.net

Limerockcafe.net

s9031496c

s9031496c

.:. NAMIE .:.

Hmmm.....NO!
Cause the child will tend to despise their own perants!
Instead they should show good examle for their child to follow!

Thanx endoftheworld for the sig^_^
Signature
You can call me Namie or Batrisha. May God Bless ya always!

Personally, I don't think I could raise a hand against my own child if I had one.

But then, I can think of a few things that deserve a spanking- like stealing. However, just spanking doesn't solve it, I suppose we all know that, so if the child doesn't really understand why it was bad what it has done, you can't punsih it. It depends on the kid and hopefully, parents know what their children understand and what not.

Well, the reason why I'm not quite sure on this topic is because my mom beat me up a few times as a child, because of her boyfriend. I must say, I was a really nice child and I was never in trouble- to make it short: I was punished for him terrorizing our whole family, while I didn't do anything and I never understand what I could have done wrong.

I wasn't too found of touching for years, no hugs and definatly no kisses and the like. I even draw back when I accidently touched someone in a bus or such. I was totally scared of touches.

While I still don't like hugging my mom/family, I overcame most of these things. I go hug my friends every morning and I like tickling them to annoy them. :)
Because of those reasons, I can't say if I'm for it or against it and will see if the timer ever comes. ;)

study shows that physical punishment leads to aggression, the more you hit them, the more aggressive they get

Signature

DaemonPhyreWyrm

Behold the power of cheese

For most cases, no. But I do think a harsh spanking helps to drive the point home, but even then, only in more extreme cases, eh?

I don't advocate abuse, but I agree that spanking is necessary to discipline a child. As a child who was spanked, I am thankful that I was brought up in that way. I take a look at all the psychology and the other practices put in use these days. Do some of these practices get results, in that the kids are behaving? Yes, sure. Are the kids disciplined as a result though? No. It fosters poor behavior, horrible rewards based outlook associated with behavior (if you want me to continue acting a certain way then keep rewarding me). Also, the goal in those other methods isn't for children to respect authority; instead it's more of a "look out for myself" mentality that wants to see how far it can get and negotiate.

Violence can not solve any problems...the best way is to be relaxed and try to handle the sitution without voilence but I know this is not always very easy for parents

of course not beat up ur son/daughter ^^ jus a small hit on the hand jus make them understand tt wat they do is wrong..

page 3 of 16 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Next » 371 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.