Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 The Finer Lines Between Collaboration And Independence - Minitokyo

The Finer Lines Between Collaboration And Independence

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 37 total items

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Given the circumstances, people are normally given something to work on that they should normally be able to perform from within a day-by-day basis throughout life.

Whether people realize it or not, work is to be completed in virtually almost every turn that can somewhat truly involve a simple thought process that nearly every human being will question in store, especially as this one individual normally gathers one's wisdom over time.

So what am I discussing about? Yes, it is the former decision of whether you wish to work by yourself, or through the means of others in a form of teamwork [collaboration].

=================================================
[Questions]

You may answer any one as you please:

- Do you feel that you can work better by yourself, or through teamwork?

- Given a group project, or a presentation to display at school for example - would you prefer to rather work with others in a group, or all alone here, under your current situation?

- Should society be based mostly on collaboration, independence, or an equal balance of both out there? In realistic terms, why did you choose that decision?

- Finally, are you involved in any work that you virtually know you wish you hadn't been doing by yourself lately?

And so, my long boring post ends here. **Crumbles to the ground**

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

lunacrystal

lunacrystal

Am I alive?

i work better by myself but in a presentation i rather work in groups but they would have to participate. i would chose that because if everyone works together and participate that would get a god grade on a presentation or whatever youre doing, and i just did a science presentation and everyone participate and we got a B+!

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Quote by vietgurl5593i work better by myself but in a presentation i rather work in groups
but they would have to participate. i would chose that because if
everyone works together and participate that would get a god grade on a
presentation or whatever youre doing, and i just did a science
presentation and everyone participate and we got a B+!

Yeah, I had that back in high school.

Most of the people at my school liked to goof around and have some fun, while I was seriously working for the entire group here, so I did tend to wish I'd rather had done it myself and make everyone else suffer because of it.

Guess that's why they call me their "last resort."
It's insanity, really.

I hate lazy people who slack around and make you do all the work.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Depends on the group really. If the group members are all willing to do his and her share and we all give fair input, then sure, group work is nice. Unfortunately that has not been the case quiet often. I have had far too many group work experiences where the "group work" became my and maybe one other person's work, the rest simply taking credit and slacking off completely.

So I have mixed feelings about groups. Even my friends slack off, because they know I'm a serious person and I will do the work. -_-

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

MuZ0NaZ

MuZ0NaZ

The Muzzinator

Quote by Celessa- Do you feel that you can work better by yourself, or through teamwork?

2 heads are (almost) always better than one, however i dont have a lot of chances to collab.

Quote by Celessa
- Given a group project, or a presentation to display at school for example - would you prefer to rather work with others in a group, or all alone here, under your current situation?

in group cause i can slack off then (sometimes) XD

Quote by Celessa
- Should society be based mostly on collaboration, independence, or an equal balance of both out there? In realistic terms, why did you choose that decision?

not everything can be done in teams and large groups without great organisation & motivation to work suck >_> there is work suited for teams, and for one person.

Quote by Celessa
- Finally, are you involved in any work that you virtually know you wish you hadn't been doing by yourself lately?

i wish i could write (or, better yet, someone would do so for me) 3 page essay about nothing and everything - your post is sure long. we could make a good team (pm me if you wanna help me write an essay in lithuanian >_>) *hides*

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett

Aw, my head hurts, stop using so many difficult words/sentences while you can say the same things in a few lines. (Indeedy, the questions are more efficient).

Teamwork is always good if you have the same motivation and goals. If you have a personal goal then in a lot of cases if is better to try and achieve it yourself, also it gives more satisfaction.

I don't go to school anymore, and I always did the groupworks with mates, me and my mates were kind of the bunch of people in the class that terrorized (some) teachers and so on, do pranks everytime to get through the day. So we didn't care so much about our grades really (But hey eventually I passed anyway). The point is, we didn't do much effort, but in the end we struggled through, we were good at improvisation.

Now though I take such things way more seriously, at work for example, well, it isn't school anymore, I get paid now and I try to fulfill my job with my collegues as good as possible. It is a job with quite some organisation skills needed, and being able to sustain stress. By starting to work (imho) you get mature quite fast on the aspects you are trying to discuss.

A question to you Celessa I once read you never wanted a boyfriend and you are not gonna look for one either. You want to be single all your life. Without sounding offensive that sounds very pathetic and also arrogant somehow, unfortunately I don't know why I have these feelings about it (pathetic/arrogant). I really wish you could explain this to me why you think about it like that.

That's all for now

ps: glad there's a topic where I can actually make a post with sense now instead of posting/voting stuff like "yes I sleep naked DO you?" (not that I waste my time on threads like that). Thanks for that :>

calisqo

calisqo

::RERAITO::

Quote by Celessa Do you feel that you can work better by yourself, or through teamwork?

Well I believe a good teamwork would def produce a better quality of works. And I think I can work better with teamwork, I hope >
Cos working in a team requires more of you.

Quote by Celessa Given a group project, or a presentation to display at school for example - would you prefer to rather work with others in a group, or all alone here, under your current situation?

On my current situation we tend to avoid group work, because under the pressure of teamwork people tend to lose their sense of creativity. (My work revolves around design). They’ll end up with copying or following order. So in this case I believe there is a need to have a balance in between collaboration and independent

Quote by Celessa - Should society be based mostly on collaboration, independence, or an equal balance of both out there? In realistic terms, why did you choose that decision?

Collaboration of course XD, I believe majority rules >.>

Quote by Celessa Finally, are you involved in any work that you virtually know you wish you hadn't been doing by yourself lately?

Yeah all the time. life it's much easier when u can point the blam e on someone else XD (group leader ) >.<

Drak

Drak

Dragon Child

I think it depends on the team.
If it consists people that get along together and true teamwork can be preform, working in such a group is really helpful and can do only good.
But i it's a team of individualists that think 'I'm right and everyone else's wrong', the project is a gonner.

'This is the story about dragons, magic and people dreams' - Dragonblood.
Current chapter: 12

calisqo

calisqo

::RERAITO::

Quote by DrakI think it depends on the team.
If it consists people that get along together and true teamwork can be preform, working in such a group is really helpful and can do only good.
But i it's a team of individualists that think 'I'm right and everyone else's wrong', the project is a gonner.

but how do u identify these individualists XD , i think it's quite hard to avoid being swayed into this area , afterall it's only human things XD, as much as i hate it, it happenes >.> right?
At least in every teams , whether it's a big or a small issues, i think it would have come to the leader in overcoming this matter >.<

sjolley

sjolley

A vision of annoyance

I can work better by myself, but I prefer to work with people. :)

Why do you kill the joy of death?

Barbara

Tomorrow is another day

Quote by Celessa
- Do you feel that you can work better by yourself, or through teamwork?

I can work better through team work, it gives better result.

Quote by Celessa

I would prefer to work as a group if everyone try to participate. I don't want to work with the people who just wait for the other to do the work and then they take credit for it

Quote by Celessa

I think both would be good, if you have some great ideas of yourself and the others have theirs, when you share with each other and try to implement together, things would come out pretty effective indeed.

Quote by Celessa- Finally, are you involved in any work that you virtually know you wish you hadn't been doing by yourself lately?

No, I always think carefully before I decide to work alone or with others

Quote by CelessaAnd so, my long boring post ends here. **Crumbles to the ground**

Um...it's quite interesting post instead, you're really good at thinking ^_^

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world
- Bill Wilson -

Rizy123

Rizy123

*AM active now, msg me baby ;)*

Mmm that question made me think a bit..

I prefer working on my own because it is better to be independant and you will know what is always happening no matter what you are doing.

If it is however a massive project then of course teamwork would bebetter since there are more people deciding and doing stuff..but as one of the saying go.."Too many cook spoil the broth"

Basically working by yourself means you are in control but you may forget or need help whereas with more people you will have lotsa help but maybe too much of it is bad...meh I hope I answered the question properly :o

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

streamside

streamside

deranged.

Quote by Celessa
- Do you feel that you can work better by yourself, or through
teamwork?

Saa... I work better by myself... But I can get by when it comes to collaborations... however - yeah, it depends on the group itself. If I'm grouped with slackers, then... I deem that my life is over. But, If I'm grouped with people I like - or rather, who are my friends, I think I can manage.

Quote by Celessa
- Given a group project, or a presentation to display at school for
example - would you prefer to rather work with others in a group, or
all alone here, under your current situation?

Either would work. Most of my class are my friends, except for those snobby bratty princessy bossy idiots. I can do a presentation alone, or with a group. However, that group has to participate.

Quote by Celessa
- Should society be based mostly on collaboration, independence, or an
equal balance of both out there? In realistic terms, why did you choose
that decision?

Equal balance of course. It would be ugly to see everyone depending on someone else, and
seeing everyone turn up their noses at each other and entirely relying on themselves isn't a good sight either.

Quote by Celessa
- Finally, are you involved in any work that you virtually know you
wish you hadn't been doing by yourself lately?

Um... not really. I think I never bite more than I can chew. :nya:

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu

"A journey of a thousand miles...
is better in a car."

soujiokita

soujiokita

Super Kawaii

I like to do big projects with other people because I think with more people, we can come up with more ideas. Although sometimes I prefer to work alone. I work better with people I'm more familiar with, or more friendly.
If I was given a project, I'd work fine alone or with a group. If it's a group, I'd have to be able to get along with them. I usually get along with people in my classes, so it's easy to work with other people.
I think equal balance is better because everybody working together to solve things is always better. Like streamside says, you shouldn't always depend on other people to do the work. I know there are peopel out there who are like that.
I don't think I am, I'm not really sure about that. Sorry ^_^'

Signature
My LJ
currently not[/not] accepting avatar/sig/graphic requests

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Quote by BarbaraI would prefer to work as a group if everyone try to participate. I
don't want to work with the people who just wait for the other to do the work and then they take credit for it

I totally agree that as well. I like people who collaborate together and pitch in their fair share, you know. Also, looking over one's works can be beneficial as well, following that the two of you or more are in agreement, of course.

Quote by BarbaraI think both would be good, if you have some great ideas of yourself
and the others have theirs, when you share with each other and try to
implement together, things would come out pretty effective indeed.

Interesting output. People need to step up to the plate when they hear the need to call out by themselves, and should gather together whenever it seems necessary. I think it would be fine to have a balance of both, but I really like to lean more towards collaboration over here, in a sense. It's much easier for me over here.

Quote by streamsideBut I can get by when it comes to
collaborations... however - yeah, it depends on the group itself. If
I'm grouped with slackers, then... I deem that my life is over. But, If
I'm grouped with people I like - or rather, who are my friends, I think
I can manage.

lol - It's definitely not fair indeed. Welcome to my world. **Snickers**

Quote by soujiokitaIf it's a group, I'd have to be able to get along with them. I
usually get along with people in my classes, so it's easy to work with
other people.

Yes, that's necessarily a good trait to have, of course. I'm glad you get along with others as well. lol

Quote by soujiokitaI think equal balance is better because everybody working together to
solve things is always better. Like streamside says, you shouldn't
always depend on other people to do the work. I know there are peopel
out there who are like that.

And it's also funny how they just jump into a group right after the project is to be completed. Pulling good grades for doing nothing - it's a funny joke, of course.

But never have I really recognized a group of people working together and pulling out a terrible grade, however. With 4 or 5 people thinking together, it would be extremely difficult not to be pulling a good grade for sure. Certain groups work better together with a certain amount of people on the team. **Nods** Never have too much, nor too little, of course.

Signature

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Ah, an interesting topic that I can use as a break from an entire day of trudging through the collected works of Nicolo Machiavelli. *rolls up his sleeves*

Quote by Celessa- Do you feel that you can work better by yourself, or through teamwork?

I feel that this question ultimately boils down to a question of how much trust you have in others. For example, I served as the Secretary-General for the model United Nations conference hosted by my university's International Affairs Society this year, and though I had plenty of people to delegate responsibility to in the secretariat, the logistical staff, and the individual committees, in the end all of the work of the conference was shouldered by myself and two of my closest friends, who served as Director-General and Director for Finances, respectively.

Entire weeks of school were missed by the three of us in finalizing everything for the conference, and the week of the conference was one long series of all-nighters. In the end, it was a brilliant success, because we had personally overseen every last detail of the conference; I cannot guarantee that we would have had the same amount of success had we delegated more responsibility to our staff, as we would have had to have trusted them to be able to take care of everything with the same degree of precision as we had, and when it comes to running a major conference, there is little room for error.

However, there are a number of problems with this, as it is clear that the three of us cannot shoulder the burden again because we were barely able to make up all of the academic work that we set aside in order to undertake such a major endeavor. Furthermore, if the size of the conference increases, it is clear that we will simply be overwhelmed. Therefore, at a certain point greater delegation and groupwork will become necessary.

Quote: - Should society be based mostly on collaboration, independence, or an equal balance of both out there? In realistic terms, why did you choose that decision?

Probably because I've spent the past eight hours reading through Discourses on the First Decade of Titus Livius all I can think of as a response to this question are a number of observations made my Machiavelli in the Discourses.

Freedom, noted Machiavelli, is best preserved in a state established by an individual and maintained by a republic, as the individuals have the influence by which to establish good laws while the people best know how to preserve their own freedom.

Republics, however, are by definition slow and inefficient because every decision made must be reviewed and approved by others, and therefore in terms of emergency, it is necessary for republican government to be replaced temporarily by principality in order for essential activities to be carried out with the greatest efficiency and effectiveness. It is for this reason that Machiavelli praised the institution of the dictatorship in the pre-Gracci Roman Republic so highly, as in general practice, the Senate, respresenting the patricians, and the Tribunes, representing the people, were able to govern the society and maintain the freedom of the Roman people, but in times of dire emergency, a dictator could be chosen by the Consuls to order things for the duration of a year.

Arms and authority, when excercised within the prescriptions of the law, are an inherent good, and thus while dictators acted within their constitutional bounds, the system worked extremely well. It wasn't until the balance between the patrician and plebian orders was disturbed through measures such as the Agrarian law that the system was able to be exploited by personalities such as Caesar, who was able to ignore or bend laws as he pleased, ultimately leading to the end of the Republic and the freedom of the Roman people, at least in the eyes of Machiavelli.

Whether it's because my waking hours have been devoured by Machiavelli or because of my genuine belief, I feel that Machiavelli is correct; republican forms of government are excellent in preserving the rights and freedom of their people, but because of the gridlock and inefficiency inherent in the system when emergencies arise, such as threats to the common defense or to the solvency of the state, less inefficient forms of governance are not only preferable, but crucial.

Thanks, Celessa, for the interesting diversion! And with that, it seems as if it's time for me to dive back into Machiavelli, though this time into the Florentine Histories. Wish me luck ;)

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

lol, Shinsengumi, a whole day of Machiavelli. I admit that I love the Prince the best, but a whole day!?!?!?!?

Anyways, I think that I'm also the type that's a little too perfectionist to really do well in group work. Like I posted before, I don't like it when people slack off, but I guess I also hog a little too much work.

I like thinks done right. And when people who I don't really trust don't do it right, I do it again. So I end up doing most of the work anyways.

I guess I need to change that habit.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Quote by EternalParadoxlol, Shinsengumi, a whole day of Machiavelli. I admit that I love the
Prince the best, but a whole day!?!?!?!?

**Snickers** While I may not be too interested within certain politics in government affairs throughout history, there is a true need to have some authoritive figure in order to make things work well - and as Shinsengumi pointed out, it would be best to develop a system that is beneficial to the community as a whole. The entire board of representatives truly do work best when both sides are offered to the table here, and not driven through personal greed or anger - as Shinsengumi mentioned out from Caesar himself.

I would actually prefer someone to be a fine leader, in respects of someone who can listen to others while at the same time, representing that one voice for everyone to agree upon then and there.

As the old saying goes - a good leader is one who also lets others lead the way in his place as well. Not to mention, I would not like to have someone who thinks they can do everything by themselves. That sort of ignorance applies to a tremendous discountinuation of co-operation here, and while I appeal to the fact that collaboration is truly a better cause, its unfortunate that certain members of the party wish to ignore that and turn it down.

That's why we need more people who can accept the help from others, aside from just themselves.

A person who tends to be one-sided in their own views, while not being able to listen to other people's opinions is - in my terms, one who tends to be lost in the habit. And as such, like Shinsengumi has stated earlier, the grade of efficiency is not at its peak, or at its finest, of course.

Signature

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

In my opinion, this question can go both ways. There are certain things I know I can do as an individual and certain things that require group effort. I would rather work as an individual when it comes to my schoolwork because it's possible that there are some people who, if you work with them, will give the wrong answers to certain questions required for an exam or a general homework assignment. Although I know that everything begins with trust, there are some things I know I cannot trust as soon as I see and believe it. When it comes to playing sports, and I am not a person who likes competition very much at all, teamwork is required. Strategies are built by the team members, so you could say that it's like a chain...if one part of the chain falls, then the whole game could be thrown off. I would also require teamwork when moving to different places. I know that I cannot do everything on my own unless I know the limits of the task at hand.

Quote: - Given a group project, or a presentation to display at school for example - would you prefer to rather work with others in a group, or all alone here, under your current situation?

As I previously stated, it depends on the people I am working with. If the people can be trusted to give out the right answers, then most likely I will work with them. However, some projects require extensive research, and as a result, it may require inevitable group effort. Since most people rely on me when it comes to group projects, I provide the most accurate information, so I don't think working as an individual plays as much a part as it does when I have to rely on other people for information.

Quote: - Should society be based mostly on collaboration, independence, or an equal balance of both out there? In realistic terms, why did you choose that decision?

This is an arbitrary question. There are some aspects of society that focus more on collaboration than independent effort. For instance, the Supreme Court works with several members, and these members decide on what goes based on evidence provided and what their beliefs are. A filibuster, otherwise known as voting by a two-thirds count, is required in order to proceed a certain standing or such. One person cannot determine how the system will be ran; that would throw the weight of the whole job on one person, and that is very unfair to those who have different opinions about the matter. In the perspective of independence, if people know that there is a particular problem that concerns other people, then they might want to focus more on an independent task rather then heckle themselves with other people and waiting for solutions.

Quote: - Finally, are you involved in any work that you virtually know you wish you hadn't been doing by yourself lately?

In the recent 2 to 3 weeks that I've been home, I have been doing a lot of work as an individual that could be done as a team. However, my parents are aging, and they don't have as much stamina as they used to have in the past. My brother goes to school, so he's not home much to do anything around the house. Usually, I'm left doing most of the work, but I have grown used to doing this work. Thus, it gave me a thought that perhaps I can do things better as an individual rather than work as a team with other people, but I know that there will be some things overlooked as an individual.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

I can do both working in a group or by myself. For me it depends on what the project is.

Quote by Celessa- Given a group project, or a presentation to display at school for example - would you prefer to rather work with others in a group, or all alone here, under your current situation?

Persentation I can also do alone or in a group but I mostly like persenting in a group because that way if you mess up others and help.

Quote by Celessa- Should society be based mostly on collaboration, independence, or an equal balance of both out there? In realistic terms, why did you choose that decision?

I beleave society should be based on both because sometimes you need help but at the sametime you shoud be able to be given privicy.

Quote by Celessa- Finally, are you involved in any work that you virtually know you wish you hadn't been doing by yourself lately?

No not really because all the projects that I have done resently has been done all in a group. :)

Hopfuly that answered all of your questions. :)

thelunarmage

thelunarmage

I'm getting too old for this...

Quote by Celessa
[Questi(...) may answer any one as you please:
- Do you feel that you can work better by yourself, or through
teamwork?

I often feel more comfortable working by myself, but if a situation requires more than one mind to solve a problem, teamwork rulez!

Quote by Celessa
- Given a group project, or a presentation to display at school for
example - would you prefer to rather work with others in a group, or
all alone here, under your current situation?

Given this situation I would be happier working with others, pooling ideas together, but maybe having smaller assigned tasks to complete individually that help complete the entire group's work.

Quote by Celessa
- Should society be based mostly on collaboration, independence, or an
equal balance of both out there? In realistic terms, why did you choose
that decision?

I think an equal balance of both. That's because I think collectively each individual can offer a different perspective to enhance the overall work of then entire group. At the same time, certain gifted individuals should have the independance to work by themselves to produce work that a collaboration of people might not be able to produce.

Quote by Celessa
- Finally, are you involved in any work that you virtually know you
wish you hadn't been doing by yourself lately?
And so, my long boring post ends here. **Crumbles to the ground**

Nope. Pretty much all my work can be done either in a group or individually. I'm doing it by myself at the moment, which gives me complete freedom in choosing the path to follow to a solution and the control to change tack if need be.

Great thread Celessa! It's been too long since you last raised your interesting topics. :)

Phantom: You alone can make my song take flight! It's over now, the music of the night! - The Phantom of the Opera

Proud member of: Oldsters |MegatokyoFC | GameThreadSociety | Goddess-Fanclub | Dub-Lovers-Group | ChrnoCrusade | MT-Singles-Club | Minitokyo-Australia

Dragus

Dragus

DarkDragonKnight

Quote by vietgurl5593i work better by myself but in a presentation i rather work in groups
but they would have to participate. i would chose that because if
everyone works together and participate that would get a god grade on a
presentation or whatever youre doing, and i just did a science
presentation and everyone participate and we got a B+!

I agree i work good by myself but better with others especially in a giant project, i guess that is y they say two heads are better than one so could u imagine the power of more than two minds at work especially if their goal is to get to the top of the buisness or to get a good grade.

Signature
-DragonKnight of the Flame Kingdom-

ArucardsMaster

Captin obvious

"- Do you feel that you can work better by yourself, or through teamwork?"
well thats a tough question, it depends on what I am working on. At work I am a manager so I basically tell people what to do. School work however, I HATE working with others because it seems like I end up doing all the work and you have to agree on what direction you will be going in based on the project at hand.
Know what I mean?

In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.
~Hellsing~

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Quote by ArucardsMasterSchool work however, I HATE working with others because it seems like I end up doing all the work and you have to agree on what direction you will be
going in based on the project at hand. Know what I mean?

Yes, I hear that plenty of times, way too often around here, and it really is a pain in the neck sometimes, believe me.

It's sort of like a wallpaper artist submitting a brilliant piece of artwork, and then having some other member snatch it away, crossing your name out, and stamping theirs on top of yours - gaining beneficial compliments and possibly even the reward of your satisfaction along the way. It's not fair, really. I agree.

All that hard work, and all that pressure mounted on top of you.
People really need to straighten up, of course. That's why - like a lot of people stated here pretty much, you should find people who can work hard at least, like you do, - so that everything seems just as fair, of course.

Signature

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 37 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.