Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why do Chinese/Koreans still hate Japan..? and Taiwanese don't? - Minitokyo

Why do Chinese/Koreans still hate Japan..? and Taiwanese don't?

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 119 total items

unicorn2006

Retired Moderator

unicorn2006

:.ICE:.:BIN.:

Just a thought that popped into my head. It's evident that anti-Japanese sentiments are still strong in China and Korea, and I understand that the Japanese did commit atrocious war crimes in the past. But it has been a while since it all ended.. so i'm wondering what makes them still so against the Japanese.
And it seems like Taiwan doesn't harbor such resentment toward Japan. As I understand it, the Japanese also occupied Taiwan (although I guess maybe they weren't as bad to Taiwan as they were to the others) at some point.

[edit]:

I guess also.. how long does Japan have to feel bad/apologize for their wrongdoings in the past? Korea and China still repeatedly ask for formal apologies and Japan at least tries to go through the motions, but it doesn't seem like a formal apology would appease the Koreans/Chinese anyway. And the younger Japanese generations would be less likely to empathize with these angry outbursts in the future. I dunno where I'm headed with this ^^;

"Faith means believing in something that will only make sense in reverse."
"When men are the most sure and arrogant they are commonly the most mistaken..."

Nations have long memories when it comes to things like these. And further, recent actions can bring these decade-old resentments to the surface very quickly.

Japan isn't the only country that has this problem; there are still plenty of people who have yet to forgive Germany, for example. Memories of Germany's past actions have surfaced at various times in various forms. In one instance, there were demonstrations against German troops taking part in an EU military parade in Paris. In another, when Croatia declared independence from Yugoslavia, the German government recognized it as a sovereign nation very quickly. This did little to make the Yugoslav government positively disposed towards Germany, and they were all to willing to point out how linked Germany and Croatia had been in World War II.

There are all sorts of little things like this that people remember for generations. Take Northern Ireland. Or the northern and southern United States.

ultimate540

ultimate540

Innocence Fleeting

This is a mystery...all my korean friends feel this way...but life goes on....

Kuzain

eeto...uumo...

Quote by unicorn2006Just a thought that popped into my head. It's evident that anti-Japanese sentiments are still strong in China and Korea, and I understand that the Japanese did commit atrocious war crimes in the past. But it has been a while since it all ended.. so i'm wondering what makes them still so against the Japanese.
And it seems like Taiwan doesn't harbor such resentment toward Japan. As I understand it, the Japanese also occupied Taiwan (although I guess maybe they weren't as bad to Taiwan as they were to the others) at some point.

I can't tell you why China and Korea still harbor resentment. I didn't go through what they did and I can't really place myself in the situation.
But I think I can make a comment about Taiwan. The government of Taiwan largely fled there after World War II when the democratic government of China (which was corrupt) lost to the Communist revolt (which also turned out to be corrupt). I think the reason Taiwan does not hate Japan is that mainland China is not very friendly to Taiwan and Taiwan really does not need to make any additional enemies. Japan is an ally of the US and the US is a major supporter of Taiwan...

~*Signature
	Image*~
Osaka-san!

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Wars, conquest, and national humiliation leave scars that may never truly heal.

I'm Chinese. I don't hate Japan. I hate those war crimes their military commited like any other person with a humane heart, but I do not hate the Japanese as a people simply because they are Japanese. In fact, I've lived in that country and now I speak both Chinese and Japanese. While I recognize the terrible tragedies that occured, I also think an eternal grudge and endless violence like the recent bloodshed on both sides cannot and will not solve the problem.

It is understandable why many Chinese feel intense hatred toward Japan. Many of the elderly generation saw firsthand their homes destroyed, families killed, and livelihoods robbed.

And I also understand the desire by some, non-radical militaristic Japanese to at least try to move away from a past that are painful to them too. It is after all a memory of many shameful, inhumane acts. I can see why some may want to step away from that memory and move on to focus much more upon the prosperity that has blossomed in the aftermath.

At the same time, there are those on both sides who take national pride to equate ethnic violence. The beatings and killings of both Japanese and Chinese students in both countries may create self satisfaction in the moment. but one must realize such violence will only perpetuate animosity between the nations. I think the ultimate end, however seemingly impossible by human nature, is after all a peaceful coexistence. That goal can only come about if both sides calm down and have civilized diplomatic dialogue over their differences rather than allow innocent lives to be lost.

I do not in anyway condone what the Japanese military did in wwii. Yet nor do I condone the mob riots and student murders on either side.

i spent the first few years of my life growing up in a China where films still glorify those war heros who killed the Japanese. But I have also spend many years in Japan and learned from the moderate intellectuals I met another side of that history.

That is why I come to the conclusion that for all the hatred that history has bestowed upon the present generations, only peaceful, open dialogue can create any solution. The consequences of violence, however satisfying, is only ephemeral. The changes that can result from friendly diplomacy, on the other hand, can be much more long-lasting.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

TimothytheDarkMagician

TimothytheDarkMagician

The True Dark Magician

It's because the Chinese and Korean are all evil nutcases!!!!! Think about there are a lot of chinese and korean villians but not that many japanese... Taiwan is cool though... lot's of stuff is made there... *chuckles* Made in Taiwan!!!

Signature Image

Kuzain

eeto...uumo...

Quote by TimothytheDarkMagicianIt's because the Chinese and Korean are all evil nutcases!!!!! Think about there are a lot of chinese and korean villians but not that many japanese... Taiwan is cool though... lot's of stuff is made there... *chuckles* Made in Taiwan!!!

I hope you know that's because a certain country is responsible for the anime that has Chinese and Korean villans... :)

~*Signature
	Image*~
Osaka-san!

Not many Chinese or Korean people I know hate Japan. But the ones that do aren't angry just because of what Japan did in past wars, e.g. the rape of Nanking, etc. It's the fact that the Japanese government has refused to apologize for what they did. I'm not even sure if they acknowledged that they commited war crimes at all. I can understand the Chinese point of view; I imagine most Europeans would feel the same way if the German government refused apologize and make reparations after World War II.

"It is especially important to encourage unorthodox thinking when the situation is critical: At such moments every new word and fresh thought is more precious than gold. Indeed, people must not be deprived of the right to think their own thoughts. "

-Boris Yeltsin

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Quote by KuzainBut I think I can make a comment about Taiwan. The government of Taiwan largely fled there after World War II when the democratic government of China (which was corrupt) lost to the Communist revolt (which also turned out to be corrupt). I think the reason Taiwan does not hate Japan is that mainland China is not very friendly to Taiwan and Taiwan really does not need to make any additional enemies. Japan is an ally of the US and the US is a major supporter of Taiwan...

Well. . . there's another reason, actually that's far more important. The corrupt democratic government you refer to is that of the Nationalist party, which received Taiwan from Japan in 1945. For the fifty years prior to 1945, Taiwan was a colony of Japan, and while the Taiwanese didn't love the Japanese (after all, who loves a foreign occupation army?), the Japanese were fair and efficient. After the Nationalists took over, the Taiwanese actually longed for a return to Japanese rule.

Many scholars today point out that Taiwanese culture is a mix of independent Taiwanese tradition, Chinese customs, and Japanese colonial influence. Either way, it's the shared history that Taiwan has with Japan that makes the two so close compared to other East Asian countries. . . that many of the older generation of Taiwanese today were born as Japanese and fought in World War II as Japanese soldiers is also something to keep in mind.

Edit: For more historical background, see this post: http://www.minitokyo.net/showpost/?forumpost=328998

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

Kuzain

eeto...uumo...

Quote by shinsengumi

Quote by KuzainBut I think I can make a comment about Taiwan. The government of Taiwan largely fled there after World War II when the democratic government of China (which was corrupt) lost to the Communist revolt (which also turned out to be corrupt). I think the reason Taiwan does not hate Japan is that mainland China is not very friendly to Taiwan and Taiwan really does not need to make any additional enemies. Japan is an ally of the US and the US is a major supporter of Taiwan...

Well. . . there's another reason, actually that's far more important. The corrupt democratic government you refer to is that of the Nationalist party, which received Taiwan from Japan in 1945. For the fifty years prior to 1945, Taiwan was a colony of Japan, and while the Taiwanese didn't love the Japanese (after all, who loves a foreign occupation army?), the Japanese were fair and efficient. After the Nationalists took over, the Taiwanese actually longed for a return to Japanese rule.

Many scholars today point out that Taiwanese culture is a mix of independent Taiwanese tradition, Chinese customs, and Japanese colonial influence. Either way, it's the shared history that Taiwan has with Japan that makes the two so close compared to other East Asian countries. . . that many of the older generation of Taiwanese today were born as Japanese and fought in World War II as Japanese soldiers is also something to keep in mind.

I was unaware of that. One of the things I love most about history is how intertangled it all is. It really shows you that global politics and economic aren't that new. People all around the world have been having an effect on each other for thousands of years.

~*Signature
	Image*~
Osaka-san!

Rizy123

Rizy123

*AM active now, msg me baby ;)*

Hai ..I was waiting for this 1 to come up..

I'm chinese and I do not hate the japanese...jus the people who commited those awful war crimes..the pictures still haunt me when I see them at how destructive people can be..

To answer the thread simply because of the past..

Quote by TimothytheDarkMagicianIt's because the Chinese and Korean are all evil nutcases!!!!! Think
about there are a lot of chinese and korean villians but not that many
japanese... Taiwan is cool though... lot's of stuff is made there...
*chuckles* Made in Taiwan!!!

Not everyone's an evil who's chinese or korean are evil nutcases, onli the bastards in government and the corrupt f*cks..
And don't forget the label "Made in China" as well...

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

unicorn2006

Retired Moderator

unicorn2006

:.ICE:.:BIN.:

Hm.. I feel like those of us who are to some degree Westernized (since we all speak & write english, and possibly don't live in China or Korea) dont (or wouldn't) quite understand the historical humiliation and anti-japanese nationalism that well. saying 'im not korean/chinese and i dont hate japan' doesn't prove that there isn't this recent surge of anti-japanese sentiment recently (with the island disputes in Korea and anti-japanese protests in China) or that it hasn't existed all this time.

i myself used to hate Japan before I started to get a Western education, but now I find it somewhat difficult to understand the younger/newer generations with that same hate.

"Faith means believing in something that will only make sense in reverse."
"When men are the most sure and arrogant they are commonly the most mistaken..."

I asked my mum the same question! and from what i gathered from her angry speech (I'm Chinese, btw) about the Japanese killing a lot of people, its not so much that they DID kill a lot of people, it's more the fact that the Japanese are denying this history that makes them angry. This whole new anti-Jap thing sparked up after a Japanese textbook denied they ever invaded China or Korea. So i suppose that's why they're all so upset.
And why do people still get upset? well, i suppose it's just patriotism... *shrugs*

RainOfStars

RainOfStars

Elusive Dream

I think the chinese and koreans have good reason to hate japan because of what they did. But I am no one to hold a grudge. I, personally, think it is useless to keep hating them. It should be time to move on.
It is not that Taiwanese people doesn't hate japan (my dad still talks about how bad the japanese people are). It is just that Taiwanese government is a bunch of currupted idiots who want to stay in power in that tiny little island for as long as possible. So they just throw themselves at the US and Japan, hoping that they will keep Taiwan out of Chian's power.
(I think it was last month that some stupid government official went to japan and got egged when he got back.)

I really don't get why some Taiwanese people want independance. An united China has way more benefits, and there is no China will let it be an independant country.

Signature

AnimeAlchemist

AnimeAlchemist

The Alchemy Mystery of Anime

i lived in china for 10 years. Fujin,a provinve quite close japan..to my understanding only older generations of chinese still feel hatred towards japanese. i did hated, yes hated the japananese ..influenced by war films. Not any more..i sorta want to goto japan.

everyone hates everyone, every country has bigots. and im surprised to see a topic that talks about bad sentiments towards japan from korea/china while i dont see any mention of the bad feelings from japan to korea, japan to china, or china to korea. bigotry exists everywhere and east asia isnt anything different. in the US you can see parallels of ignorant racist views towards our neighbors: canada and mexico. though i guess if you want an actual reason, all three countries come from a very nationalistic govt, and in the case of a country like korea, it is still very true. and imo, strong nationalism leads to racism. it happened in WWI and happened here after 9/11.

koreans are stubborn people... seiously...

some korean teenagers... omg they piss me off so much... if your like 1 year younger you have to show so much respect to dem... which i dont... and omg everything about fobs i hate them!!

freaking hate koreans

and im a korean

Quote by crapmonsterim surprised to see a topic that talks about bad sentiments towards japan from korea/china while i dont see any mention of the bad feelings from japan to korea, japan to china, or china to korea.

That's probably because this thread's purpose is to discuss the negative feelings Chinese and Koreans have towards Japan and that lack of it from the Taiwanese. I'm sure Japan has its share of grievances with those other countries. Japan's outright refusal to admit to past war crimes indicates that either they still hold animosity towards those countries or Japan is just too proud to admit wrong doing on their part.

Quote by beckoyukikoreans are stubborn people... seiously...
some korean teenagers... omg they piss me off so much... if your like 1 year younger you have to show so much respect to dem... which i dont... and omg everything about fobs i hate them!!
freaking hate koreansand im a korean

Even though you're Korean yourself, you really shouldn't make such broad, stereotypical remarks about a racial group. Though I can't say I totally disagree with all of your points applied to certain people (I've known some pretty f*cked up Koreans in my life), I think your overall view is a little close-minded.

"It is especially important to encourage unorthodox thinking when the situation is critical: At such moments every new word and fresh thought is more precious than gold. Indeed, people must not be deprived of the right to think their own thoughts. "

-Boris Yeltsin

Quote by beckoyukikoreans are stubborn people... seiously... some korean teenagers... omg they piss me off so much... if your like 1 year younger you have to show so much respect to dem... which i dont... and omg everything about fobs i hate them!! freaking hate koreans and im a korean

well simply, thats cause of East Asia's strong base on confucian beliefs.

LucyXlostangelwings

LucyXlostangelwings

Tomorrow's Way~

What triggered the anti-Japan protests that occurred quite recently in China was the Japanese released a new edition text book that had no account of when Japan invaded China. The chinese were obviously angry that this significant history event was not mentioned, let alone the Japanese never stated anywhere that they had anything to do with this invasion. But this is only one of the small issues among others.

This reminds me highly of WWI and WW2, the whole situation with European countries against Germany who was, at that time, very powerful thanks to Hitler. Though, of course, after Germany lost the first world war, they signed the treaty of Versailles which stated that the blame was theirs.

But, as you already said Unicorn-san, a formal apology might do some good though the Chinese and Korean won't settle that easily, I don't think. Many still mourn for their parents and grandparents who were caught in the mess long ago. New generations have developed, many things have changed and maybe it would be best if all the bad happenings were respectfully remembered and then put in the past, where it all belongs.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

kirchu

kirchu

Ryo

@_@ I don't really like talking about this...

For one, I'm from Taiwan, and I love Japan! LOL. >_<

i don't know about others though, but I think other people might answer your question already. :) Heh.

25chai

25chai

Remorseful One

I dun hate japanese, but I can neva forget what they did to Chinese.

I am a Chinese stay in Malaysia. When World War 2 that time, Japs military come to Malaysia and storm over our land. Before Japs come to Malaysia that time, they oledi send those spy to this place. And they knew that Malaysia is a place that have plenty of Tin Mine and rubber trees, so they decide to rule over this land and get those nature resource for their country development.

But then, Japs are doing too many bad things on our land especially to Chinese. My lecturer’s family is the best example. When he is young, his whole family get killed by Japs. Luckily that time he is going out with his father. When he get home, he saw his mother, brother and sister get kill, get rape and kill, even his 11 months baby brother are get killed by those Japs. That’s what basically Japs do to Malaysian chinese that time.

But then, it was happen long time ago. Still, I kinda angry of Japs becoz they gonna hide their bad things they did last time on the School history book issue. That’s why, compare to German, I still recognize Japs as a coward. Coz they neva really feel regret and sorry on what they did last time, at least German does

Priscilla, I Love You.
Signature
Temari's Sig credited to Rebel Soul Kaze Sama.

Samika

Samika

Homonculous

Its mostly because of the evasion by the Japanese about what they did. Like, many times, they glorify their actions into something else... like it was for 'protection' or whatever. >_> But then, its also because Chinese/Koreans have loooooooooong memories. :D

"If I'm as pure and straight as you say... It's because you're at the end of my path." ~ Parfait Tic
"The hardest thing to endure, is to live in a world without out you in it." ~ Autumn in My Heart
"In my heart, there is an equation... 'Someone my friend likes=Some one that has nothing to do with me.' Thats why."- By the Lotus Leaves

soulas

The Crappah.

chinas being chinese remember how japan slaughtered their people. so this isnt amazing. i do have some anger at them before , but since its already in the past, i see no reason why we should blame them for their ancestors foolish mistake. gah.

~j

did i just got thrown back in time by 2000 years?

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 119 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.