Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why do Chinese/Koreans still hate Japan..? and Taiwanese don't? - Minitokyo

Why do Chinese/Koreans still hate Japan..? and Taiwanese don't?

This thread is closed for posting.

page 4 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 119 total items

SkyKing8

SkyKing8

No One Can Ever Replace You

There are numerous reasons why Chinese/Koreans hate the Japanese, such as pride and status in society, however I believe not all Chinese and Koreans hate them, look for example the 2002 World Cup, Japan and South Korea worked together to host the footballing (soccer) event and as many will gather it was well hosted by both countries. As I am Chinese myself I believe that Japan are paying back their debts through producing a great range of tecnhology across the world so people at home as well as work can enjoy such as console games, music players, cars, computers, etc. Of course many wont forgive the past, but remember many people have moved on since then and hopefully wars like the ones in the past dont happen again, for everyones sake we dont want more suffering in our world.

There's meaning in everything that happens in the unseen future,
So stay as you are for now, I know there'll come a time when you realize it.
You and me, two are spoken.
Someday we'll understand each other. Signature Image

I am a Chinese that was born in HK. I suppose I will share my opinion here too

I don't hate the Japanese people at all. The Japanese people I've met so far are all very kind and polite people.

However, I really dislike those radical right wings in Japan. The unfortunate thing is they are the people that has the power in Japan right now. Majority of the Japan's new government cabinet favors the right wing. These right wing people tried hard to spread the racism idea against Chinese and Korean to the rest of the Japanese public. They want to revive the "spirit" that Japan possesed during the beginning of the WWII.

Many of you have said the crime that the Japanese commited is the past and we should look forward. I agree on that. But the problem is, Japan has to take the initiative. The reason that many Chinese and Koreans dislike Japan is because Japan wouldn't formally apologize of the crime they have committed in WWII. Unless the Japanese legislature (The Diet) passes a bill of apology to the Chinese and Koreans, it's not considered a formal apology for a war crime. The current Japanese government didn't and refuse to do it. The fact that the Japanese prime minister continue to worship WWII war criminals is also not helping at all. They are just adding oil to the flames.

Not too suprised that the Taiwan people don't hate Japan at the moment. Since the current party in power very favors seperatism. The idea of seperatism was enforced to the new generation of Taiwanese. Taiwan 's goverment would like any nation that's againist China at the moment. It is a very sad thing to me. Many Taiwan's people and culture were originated from the mainland China. Just a little more than 10 years ago, many Taiwanese (around 60-70%) would consider themselves Chinese, but this has dropped significantly due to government's propoganda. :(

Quote by TheFallingStarThe fact that the Japanese prime minister continue to worship WWII war criminals is also not helping at all. They are just adding oil to the flames.

That's exactly what I think too. I was watching the Chinese news and they were discussing this topic. Saying how the prime minister in Japan still goes to the grave site of WWII soldiers and prays. Not in private, but on public television. This is what China is mad about. The mere fact that the prime minister prays for the WWII soldiers on public television shows that their government shows no regret for what the people of the past have done. The Japanese government just itching to stir crap up if they keep up with what they have been doing.

Aside from that though, I'm Chinese (haha part japanese too :P), but I have lived in Canada my whole life and have no relation to anything that happened in WWII. So do I hate the Japanese? No, most definetly not. But do I think what they did was wrong? Yeah, but it's not like anything will change if I were to hate them for it.

akai

akai

`Procrastinator` ~ t(_ _ t)

Quote by rsocgcos they're (Chinese n koreans) stupid, thats all i have to say.
i'm chinese though not from china but this place was invaded by japan as well, but there's no hatred here .
thank God, else no anime n mangas ^_^'

I can't believe someone actually said this. =.=lll
Thanks for being completely disrespectful, especially towards those living victims and their families.
If you think there's no hatred here in Singapore, I can tell you, you're wrong.
Not seeing it, doesn't mean it is not there.

O.o Infestation of Ichigoism o.O

knuk

knuk

Lurkotron

Quote by LucyXlostangelwings

This reminds me highly of WWI and WW2, the whole situation with European countries against Germany who was, at that time, very powerful thanks to Hitler. Though, of course, after Germany lost the first world war, they signed the treaty of Versailles which stated that the blame was theirs.

Hitler wasn't in charge of Germany during WWI, that was the Kaiser. Hitler, at that time, was just an infantryman fighting in the trenches.

I also agree that the worst thing people can do with history is deny it happened. There are things in the history of my country and my heritage that I'm not proud of, but I've learned about them and don't try to claim that they never occurred.

Signature Image

Magihunt

The End.

An point that I know of is the reason why Taiwan don't act racistly against Japan is because they helped build Taiwan for them... mainly infrastructure... Before Japan occupied Taiwan (apparently) the roads well covered in holes which virtually swollowed up Carts, Animals, People, and whatever poor thing fell into the grasp of these holes.

As for China and Korea - I always thought it was simply because of the amount of times Japan attempted to conquer their land.

I think the racist comments are quickly easing up though - seeing there now appears to be more Part blooded people around and all that...

Myself being part Korean and Japanese would have gotten alot of racist comments against me by both Japanese and Koreans but seeing I get to know them before they get to know me - they don't, as they lost the reason to do so...

The beginning is past - the end is to come. I'll show you what was around before the end comes.

Atrocities are atrocities. They do not become less severe or heinous just because "it's been a while", nor should they be forgotten just because time has passed. The reason why Chinese and Koreans still hate Japan is obvious: Junichiro Koizumi's repeated visits to the Yasukuni Shrine (where several A class war criminals are also enshrined), Japan's whitewashing of their history textbooks, and how certain Japanese historians and scholars still blatantly deny that their country was ever involved in those atrocities.

And on that note, anyone who thinks that the younger generation in Japan don't harbour similar negative sentiments against China and Korea are wrong. In a survey published by Mainichi Shimbun, 70% of the Japanese population either have anti-Chinese sentiments, or feel "no affinity" with China and/or Korea.

Japan, as a nation, hasn't really issued a formal apology over their crimes. But that's not the only thing that's adding fuel to the fire. If we were to count all the reasons why this hatred towards each other is still being perpetruated, we wouldn't be able to count them with our ten fingers. Japan's occupation of the Chinese island Diaoyu-dao would be one of those reasons why, at least, Chinese people aren't appeased.

Also, anti-Japanese sentiments on the part of China extends way beyond Japan's WW2 military aggression. These sentiments go back to WW1, Japan's joint-invasion of China prior to WW2 with seven other countries (USA, UK, France, Germany, Russia, etc.), their involvement in the burning of the Summer Palace. Anyway, I don't claim to know all the facts, nor do I claim that everything I state in this post is 100% factual, but most of it is true and I'm not kidding when I say China and Japan have a long, bad history together... if you're curious, just do some research.

I'm not very familiar with Korean history, so I can't say much for their anti-Japanese sentiments, but most of it is to do with the Japanese military's use of "comfort women" in WW2, and also keep in mind that Koreans are generally a very passionate people.. look at all their protests and marches, they obviously don't forget/forgive easily, and for a good reason.

I'm Chinese/Japanese myself but I don't hate the Japanese (as a people). I tend to believe that we should look for people's individual merits instead of making sweeping generalizations about them. But, in terms of history and war crimes, I do think they're on a par with the Germans; Japan has done a LOT of bad things in the past, and they have a lot to atone for. The way forward is to look to the future, apologize for what they've done and make compensations, instead of whitewashing their textbooks and denying their atrocities, because denial and evasion won't take anyone forward.

P.S. Sorry if anything in this post is incorrect or has offended anyone. ^^

I'm quiet ashame of those "claim" to be Chinese are saying "I do not hold grudge against Japanese"

I personally do don't trust Japanese. the history I learned in China is a bit different from what I learned in US. (lived in China for 18yrs, pure Chinese blooded human)

I don't hate Japanese civilians, but denying what they did was SERIOUSLY WRONG! and forgiving is not an option as long as Japanese keeps denying. Time will not heal this unless Japanese can put this FACT behind and admit it.

The truth is what I learned from Discovery Channel a 6 hours WWII hisotry program. The denial of what Japanese did to Chinese has been there as long as Japanese admitted the defeat of WWII. The New Democratica president published a book that writes the truth, but that Japanese president was assassinated by their own ppl simply becuz they refuse anybody who speaks bad things about their "war hero" Hirohito which I think it is utterly bullsh!ts.

Later on, their own scholars that attended this program's interview and describe that every military action was directly followed by their "war hero" Hirohito, such as rape, slaughter, burning houses. There was also a quote from a Japanese soldier from that time. "we kill for our leader, we were doing it for honor, and it was said that kill Chinese with sword would give too much respect, which in the result of using 'rocks' to kill them 1 by 1, pictures were provided.

I personally could not, and will not forgive Japanese for what they did to us, Chinese, and I want an answer, a clear answer. Only that shall leave this true history behind.

Taiwan, for a period of time, used to be governed by Japan, so even today, a lot of the older people in Taiwan know how to speak Japanese, like my Grandma.

DanTheGreat

DanTheGreat

Ju-Ni Ban Tai Taichou

no offence to any japanese around here, but i always believed they are to fanatical about honor. i'm from the philippines and japan also did atrocious deeds here as in anywhere else during WWII but it's all behind us now, well for most of us anyway

Signature

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Quote by NejiYshokaI'm quiet ashame of those "claim" to be Chinese are saying "I do not hold grudge against Japanese"

I personally do don't trust Japanese. the history I learned in China is a bit different from what I learned in US. (lived in China for 18yrs, pure Chinese blooded human)

I don't hate Japanese civilians, but denying what they did was SERIOUSLY WRONG! and forgiving is not an option as long as Japanese keeps denying. Time will not heal this unless Japanese can put this FACT behind and admit it.

The truth is what I learned from Discovery Channel a 6 hours WWII hisotry program. The denial of what Japanese did to Chinese has been there as long as Japanese admitted the defeat of WWII. The New Democratica president published a book that writes the truth, but that Japanese president was assassinated by their own ppl simply becuz they refuse anybody who speaks bad things about their "war hero" Hirohito which I think it is utterly bullsh!ts.

Later on, their own scholars that attended this program's interview and describe that every military action was directly followed by their "war hero" Hirohito, such as rape, slaughter, burning houses. There was also a quote from a Japanese soldier from that time. "we kill for our leader, we were doing it for honor, and it was said that kill Chinese with sword would give too much respect, which in the result of using 'rocks' to kill them 1 by 1, pictures were provided.

I personally could not, and will not forgive Japanese for what they did to us, Chinese, and I want an answer, a clear answer. Only that shall leave this true history behind.

There's a distinction between hating the Japanese nationality and condemning Japanese revisionist historians. That there are Japanese historians who would change textbook material and that there are Japanese government officials who would condone such changes do not justify a general hatred toward an entire nationality. The atrocities committed cannot and must not be denied. The attempt by these historians to deny them is indeed morally reprehensible. However, one cannot draw from this a black and white distinction because Chinese vs. Japanese. After all, it is this type of undistinguishing hatred for a nationality as a whole that led to WWI and WWII in the first place.

Analogous to your argument would be to blame "Germans" as a nationality for being Nazis. In both Germany and Japan, atrocities were committed by the government then in power. War was conducted by the German Wehrmacht and the militarist government of Hirohito. Certainly one may feel that the entire German and Japanese populations were pro-war and supportive of their government, but that is only natural due to the massive amounts of propaganda in use. In Germany as well as Japan there are revisionist historians who would deny WWII events, such as the Holocaust or the Rape of Nanking. However, in the end, one should not fall to the same level of pre-war racial polarization by categorically assigning blame to an entire nationality when the culpability is clearly in the hands of a few in power.

The Hirohito militarist government should never be forgiven, as should not the Nazi establishment. But the Japanese nationality and the German nationality should not be bundled together with the unfortunate occurance of these extremist governments.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

xcf33

xcf33

Sakura forever

Let's just put it to most simple thing.

I'm 100% Chinese. Do I hate Japanese people? Anwser is no, because why hate, I did not experience anything bad from them so I shouldn't bring my hatred towards them purely because of my ignorance. As far as they consider themselves "racially superior" and the Chinese and Korean people like garbage, that is really their problem.

Can I forgive what they done to my family and ancestors? Yes, forgiveness is very powerful and I think forgiveness is the only way toward salvation.

But can I forget what they done to my Country and my family and countryman? The anwser is no, I dont agree how they are trying to erase that part of history from their textbooks etc and playing like victims. We must remember what happened in the past in order to not repeat them.

Lastly, the very fact I'm writing on this website is because I'm a big fan of Japanese animation, especially gundams, robots, toys, technologies. Etc. But does that make me worship the Japanese culture and trying to learn Japanese just because I like anime? The anwser is no.

So in the end if everyone keeps an open mind and heart I don't think there will be that much hatred towards whoever anymore. I try not view people by their nationality, race, or ethnicity, but by their talents and the goodness.

Quote by EternalParadox

Quote by NejiYshokaI'm quiet ashame of those "claim" to be Chinese are saying "I do not hold grudge against Japanese"

There's a distinction between hating the Japanese nationality and condemning Japanese revisionist historians. That there are Japanese historians who would change textbook material and that there are Japanese government officials who would condone such changes do not justify a general hatred toward an entire nationality. The atrocities committed cannot and must not be denied. The attempt by these historians to deny them is indeed morally reprehensible. However, one cannot draw from this a black and white distinction because Chinese vs. Japanese. After all, it is this type of undistinguishing hatred for a nationality as a whole that led to WWI and WWII in the first place.

Analogous to your argument would be to blame "Germans" as a nationality for being Nazis. In both Germany and Japan, atrocities were committed by the government then in power. War was conducted by the German Wehrmacht and the militarist government of Hirohito. Certainly one may feel that the entire German and Japanese populations were pro-war and supportive of their government, but that is only natural due to the massive amounts of propaganda in use. In Germany as well as Japan there are revisionist historians who would deny WWII events, such as the Holocaust or the Rape of Nanking. However, in the end, one should not fall to the same level of pre-war racial polarization by categorically assigning blame to an entire nationality when the culpability is clearly in the hands of a few in power.

The Hirohito militarist government should never be forgiven, as should not the Nazi establishment. But the Japanese nationality and the German nationality should not be bundled together with the unfortunate occurance of these extremist governments.

that's excatly the part why I do not forget that part of the history.

What u are saying is that the whole Japanese nation is not involved in that invasion, but the fact is...

If those Japanese soldiers think that they did the wrong thing and inhumane thing, they would not follow the orders.

but the fact is the entire army of Japense did it, and now they try to erase it? How does that makes me not think differently about Japanese?

I really failed to understand why this isn't an nationality difference problem.

about the comments above me that posted by a Chinese fellow.

forgiveness is not the solvation as long as both side think differently.

A selfish point of view saying that "I don't hate them becuz I didn't experience that tragety." It so true that u think u aren't victim, but what if a Japanese stand in front of you saying "you are a weakling, we rape u guys and now u are easily forgive about it.. maybe we could do it again sometime, and back off to wait for you to forgive us again. fuck yeah" You failed to realze that it is a shame to the entire Chinese nation, its NOT a personal problem.

and I personally wouldn't forget nor forgive Japanese unless I hear an "official apology"

xcf33

xcf33

Sakura forever

Quote by NejiYshoka

A selfish point of view saying that "I don't hate them becuz I didn't experience that tragety." It so true that u think u aren't victim, but what if a Japanese stand in front of you saying "you are a weakling, we rape u guys and now u are easily forgive about it.. maybe we could do it again sometime, and back off to wait for you to forgive us again. fuck yeah" You failed to realze that it is a shame to the entire Chinese nation, its NOT a personal problem.

and I personally wouldn't forget nor forgive Japanese unless I hear an "official apology"

I applaud your patriotism, your thoughts are exactly like my parents, always saying China has to be strong so no one can tell us what to do, and oh yeah they don't trust the japanese at all.

I was only talking from my personal perspective, I love my country, I love Chinese people and everything about it. Yes true there were a lot evil done during the time of war, I dont really want to mention them. I also don't like how their government is still trying to cover it up and brainwash the children.

If you think I'm selfish by saying I don't hate them because they didn't do anything to me that's ok too. I just think that hatrad will not really solve anything. Of course if a Japanese person come up to me and told me I am a weaklink or whatever I will just consider him/her to be a ignorant person who failed to release the existence of others.

I just want to be clear, a lot Chinese people think they have a valid reason to hate Japanese people, that might seem fine and justified. I have no problem with that. I just want to say hatrad will only lead you toward darkness ~. However, we can learn from the our past mistakes and make sure this will not happen again. We can make sure that by building our nation strong economically and technologically. But it's good to embrace what's good in other cultures, such as collective harmony the japanese employ in their coporate structures.

As right now I live in United States, I think one of the things great about this country is their acceptance. It doesn't matter of what your race is, the concept of embracing people of different backgrounds.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that dont let hatrad blind you. Because it's sad most times people are so ignorant, they only think they are the best. They think difference is bad, they can't stand difference.

I'd like to keep an open mind all the time, I meet and greet Japanese people like everyone else, if they have problems with Chinese people then I guess we won't be friends. But I really can't hate maybe just becaues my religious beliefs. Like Jesus said, "you shall love your enemies"

I'm full japanese and and even though the japanese government during world war 2 and before fed lies to the people of japan that they were racially superor and that the rest of the world were inferior, my grandpa, who served in the imperial japanese army, did not believe that. he thaught that the chinese an koreans were kind and friendly people. Even during the war, my grandpa had many korean friends and chinese friends that he met while japan occupied korea and china, theyre still friends today. today, all my friends are korean and chinese and there parents dont dislike japanese people

I'm sure u aren't the only Japanese have a good heart.

what I'm agnry at is that the Japense government trying to cover it up, and later on who knows what kind of denying speach they will come up with.

Finalzero0000

Ninja Commander

Well the basics are remembering history is important. I my self like some others here come from a country that has gone through Japanese occupation yet I don't hold anything against any country (I actaully try to take pride in all of them). In fact I come from two countries yet I was born in the U.S.A. (I really can't speak for those people from those countries since I wasn't born in either one of them). I will say however that it is important that the countries must keep on striving for peace yet it won't be easy if history is to be remembered. I do know that visits to the Yasukuni shrine, by officials like Junichiro Koizumi are not really helping (especially when I heard through sources that he apologized to China and said he wouldn't have visits to the shrine). For those who don't know the Yasukuni shrine is a place honoring certain people who fought for Japan during World War II (people whom the Chinese feel did atrocious things). I don't know much as the reasons to the relationship between Korea and Japan. I only hope that these countries will get along better some day.

akai

akai

`Procrastinator` ~ t(_ _ t)

Quote by xcf33
...forgiveness is very powerful and I think forgiveness is the only way toward salvation.

Personally, I think people who can't even acknowledge their wrongdoings don't deserve forgiveness from anyone.

O.o Infestation of Ichigoism o.O

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Quote by NejiYshoka that's excatly the part why I do not forget that part of the history.

What u are saying is that the whole Japanese nation is not involved in that invasion, but the fact is...

If those Japanese soldiers think that they did the wrong thing and inhumane thing, they would not follow the orders.

but the fact is the entire army of Japense did it, and now they try to erase it? How does that makes me not think differently about Japanese?

That the military obeyed is nothing special. When someone points a gun to your head, 9 out of 10 times you'd do it. How many soldier in the Chinese People's Liberation Army actually believed they did the right thing by shooting civilians during the Tiananmen Square incident? They still followed orders did they not? And if you are willing to argue that these Chinese soldiers did in fact feel that shooting student demonstrators was the right thing to do, then there would be no wrong commited by the Japanese army by that logic.

This problem is very much a nationality issue because your view categorically blames the entire Japanese nationality for an act that is devised and executed by a specific segment of the population, i.e. the military. When you systematically draw a line between one nation and the other without regard to who exactly in each camp actually brought about the actions and their consequences, you summarily deny yourself the possibility of any possible conciliation. An "official apology" will satisfy few if we follow your reasoning to its logical conclusion. The resulting Chinese reaction by your view would just be a rejection of the apology by the Japanese government because you would feel that the entire Japanese people remains forever at fault and the apology would just be a diplomatic gesture. That is why you cannot direct blame for the entire population for an act that only a specific government and its military network did.

When one condemns an act, one must point the blame on the correct culprits, not use a blanket approach that solves nothing, creates no conciliation, and only results in racial, ethnic, and national tensions.

To do so would be to follow the same line of reasoning that lead to WWII in Europe and Asia in the first place.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

ZhuangQuan

ZhuangQuan

Believe in What You Believe

I heard from my uncle that they still remembers the old war of China and Japan.

He even says that many Chinese people were just a doll for the Japanese experimence

Rikkablurhound

Rikkablurhound

*Kero~! O_o

I agree.... Chinese do feel really angry at Japan... I mean my mother does, she doesnt say it outloud, but its written all over her face...
I thinks its unfair if we continue this meaningless war, I mean itll bring chaos in the future and disrupt world peace for us, the younger generation, I mean its just not fair, why must we carry something the older generation did...
It was their mistake, & they've already fill in for the mistakes they did...what else do you still want, I mean yeah, It was cruel & unforgivable... But the younger generations have no wrong... we also feel disgusted in what they have done...
If I was back there, I'll kill them too, but now is different... Just dont understand what the adults think....
Sorry for posting rubbish here...

Quote by EternalParadox

Quote by NejiYshoka that's excatly the part why I do not forget that part of the history.

That the military obeyed is nothing special. When someone points a gun to your head, 9 out of 10 times you'd do it. How many soldier in the Chinese People's Liberation Army actually believed they did the right thing by shooting civilians during the Tiananmen Square incident? They still followed orders did they not? And if you are willing to argue that these Chinese soldiers did in fact feel that shooting student demonstrators was the right thing to do, then there would be no wrong commited by the Japanese army by that logic.

This problem is very much a nationality issue because your view categorically blames the entire Japanese nationality for an act that is devised and executed by a specific segment of the population, i.e. the military. When you systematically draw a line between one nation and the other without regard to who exactly in each camp actually brought about the actions and their consequences, you summarily deny yourself the possibility of any possible conciliation. An "official apology" will satisfy few if we follow your reasoning to its logical conclusion. The resulting Chinese reaction by your view would just be a rejection of the apology by the Japanese government because you would feel that the entire Japanese people remains forever at fault and the apology would just be a diplomatic gesture. That is why you cannot direct blame for the entire population for an act that only a specific government and its military network did.

When one condemns an act, one must point the blame on the correct culprits, not use a blanket approach that solves nothing, creates no conciliation, and only results in racial, ethnic, and national tensions.

To do so would be to follow the same line of reasoning that lead to WWII in Europe and Asia in the first place.

funny logic!

basically u are saying that a crime organization killed alot ppl and all they need to do is to give out their leader, and rest of them can escape the guiltiness.

the excuses is "we were forced to do so", which Japense obviously wasn't forced by their leader.

about the incident in Taiwan, bla bla bla.. did u got that part from US TV or what? rumors..... I'm sure Chinese military did that for a reason, not for "I'm happy to do so" pfft... invalid argument.

i'm from Singapore and the Japanese invaded Singapore for 3 1/2 years. but seems like there isn't much hatred towards the Japanese.

i think it may have something to do with education. the textbooks may contain biased and untrue information.

Lacuslover81

Lacuslover81

One big and true lover of Lacus

I guss the chinese do since what happened in world war 2 that japanese did not apologize for. but that is my guess.

A true lover of Lacus Member of Kira-and-Lacus-in-Love

page 4 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 119 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.