Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why do Chinese/Koreans still hate Japan..? and Taiwanese don't? - Minitokyo

Why do Chinese/Koreans still hate Japan..? and Taiwanese don't?

This thread is closed for posting.

page 5 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 119 total items

A lot of the Chinese people who lived throught WWII dislike the Japanese for trying to invade China. These feelings sometimes get carried on to future generations like me. :P
I don't have a problem with Japanese but I can understand why some other people might.

I didn't think angels existed until I met one.

NewLondenion

NewLondenion

Chairman of Side 7

One, Japan brought the hatred from Korea and China upon themselves when they published history books that whitewashed all of the atrocities that soldiers under the Tojo Regime had committed in occupying China and Korea prior to WW2. Two, Taiwan doesn't harbor strong sentiments against Japan because they were part of China and the U.S. is the only country to recognize Taiwan as a nation; and China still considers Taiwan as part of China even the Taiwanese don't.

ChunkySkillz

ChunkySkillz

~Kira Yamato~

Well, I think Taiwanese feel that they're not part of China. Besides, I don't think Taiwan government will gain any advantage if they use the propaganda to the students...

Group Administrator of ~ Make-A-Friend ~ MT-Singapore ~ Kira-Lacus~Athrun-Cagalli

Signature Image
Friends need not agree in everything or go always together, or have no comparable other friendships of the same intimacy. On the contrary, in friendship union is more about ideal things: and in that sense it is more ideal and less subject to trouble than marriage is.

TurtleEmperor

TurtleEmperor

full-time slacker

I don't care about what Japan did in the past. So far they haven't done anything bad to my own life. Quite the opposite, their anime makes my day ^_^

Signature Image
thank May-sama for the siggy ^_^

llxcharlenexll

llxcharlenexll

Love Me For Me

japan felt bad? if they did they should have stopped saying "we only wanted to help chinese give the freedom etc" thats kinda bull**** ...by reading the chinese history.......dude jap was cruel..but i like the anime

2 taiwan..taiwan wants to be independent thats why they kept trying to make "good" relationships with other countries
[[personal opinion]]

Taiwanese hate Chinese instead, I think.

itsbigdan

itsbigdan

life or hell?

Quote by unicorn2006Just a thought that popped into my head. It's evident that anti-Japanese sentiments are still strong in China and Korea, and I understand that the Japanese did commit atrocious war crimes in the past. But it has been a while since it all ended.. so i'm wondering what makes them still so against the Japanese.
And it seems like Taiwan doesn't harbor such resentment toward Japan. As I understand it, the Japanese also occupied Taiwan (although I guess maybe they weren't as bad to Taiwan as they were to the others) at some point.

[edit]:

I guess also.. how long does Japan have to feel bad/apologize for their wrongdoings in the past? Korea and China still repeatedly ask for formal apologies and Japan at least tries to go through the motions, but it doesn't seem like a formal apology would appease the Koreans/Chinese anyway. And the younger Japanese generations would be less likely to empathize with these angry outbursts in the future. I dunno where I'm headed with this ^^;

well what i heard is that they were trying to change history lesson like the germans changing thier history and blamed it on UK for the war. SO that's is what i think so far.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

akai

akai

`Procrastinator` ~ t(_ _ t)

Quote by KikunTaiwanese hate Chinese instead, I think.

That is true to a certain extent. But they seem to have forgotten that they are chinese themselves.
In fact, I've met a couple of Taiwanese who don't wish to be identified as "Chinese". :\

O.o Infestation of Ichigoism o.O

unkle

Rattled by the Rush

the people's republic of china instead of say allowing their citizens a say in govenment, have directed that growing frustration outward in rather xenophobic foreign and domestic policy. so youre typical chinese citizen can't complain about the communist party's corruption or the three gorges dam project, but you can hold mass demonstrations if koisumi visits yakisuni. so partly hatred toward japan helps keep peoples attention away from internal problems.

the koreas on the other hand might view hatred of japan as a way to bring their countries together in a rather superficial way.

also it doesnt helpr that the japanese are getting sick of tired of saying sorry (although they have not uttered a convincing apology, they have provided millions possibly billions of dollars in investment in both countries), have made motions to re establish a military (which is sort of a joke because the amount spent on the self defense forces is definitely in top 10 in the world, probably more like top 5 yet their constitution bans a military), and the japanese have the wacky habit of changing their text books from mentioning atrocities to not mentioning them (and vice versa).

the taiwanese have no need to piss off japan because 1) they both fear china and 2) why would you want to make enemies with the country the US military calls home

countries as an institution are something that makes ppl belong and work together for a comon goal...Rasism(i say it is) is used to controll ppl and make them work together again the common enemy...
Any1 who hasnt read 1984 and you shall get it....
this aint in china/japan only....im actually from the balkan and well 3 diff religions and about 7-8 diff countries ina area of a chinese province makes alot of hate...too much

ma point is that even if japanese didnt kill half of china in the war they still will be angry at em. of course we can say the chinese government is jeleous that japana made anime :D:D:D jk

be pessimistic so that youll never be disapointed and will live a happy life.

Kugatsu

Kugatsu

The Celestial Queen's Advisor

I find it sad that they can't let go of past mistakes and get on with life. I mean, obviously they aren't gonna erase memories like that from their minds, but still......You know what I mean, right?

my class is starting to discuss WWII...yea the japs did some wrong doings mostly picked a fight with china and korea at that time...it was basically influence really...they saw europe taking over countries with a gun in people's face and said that they had to go by their terms...so they thought "why not us also"...i think that they suffered enough...i mean they got bombed twice...many innocent people died...i think they should be forgiven and move on...oh im viet so i dont hate them
iono but i heard this somewhere...the japanese dont respect the other asian cultures...im not sure if its true but i think that they are cool ^-^

life is but a dream...
my soul belongs to meli-chan

ok...I'm Chinese and I don't hate Japan? What the hell? Japan's da Best! (well Japanese Anime and mangas mainly, but get my point!)

battlespunk

battlespunk

Stop Breathing, It Tickles.

I guess its sort of like if somebody killed your father. Would you forgive them?

Signature

I'm a Korean but I don't really hate or dislike Japanese. I just think some people do because of Japan's harsh ruling. I just don't get why they have to hate the Japanese. They don't rule us anymore and those people who did are probably dead or old.

? ???? ?? ??? ???? ???? ?? ??? ??? ?? ? ????? ?? ?????

Its the old generations that hate the Japanese and they have every right to do so for the all the crap that the Japanese government at that time did to them. There's alot of gruesome stuff the Japanese army did to the Chinese and Koreans during the occupation and wars that they still today try to hide. Thousands of Chinese and Koreans, men, women and children where taken back to Japan and used as human experiments. A Japanese constuction company even found the skulls of the victims 50 years later under what used to be a Japanese army hospital. Its hard for the old generation to forget let alone forgive such things but like I said thats the old generation. The new generation of Chinese and Koreans never experience the Japanese occupation so there is no reason for hatred. Wars always bring out the worst in people and there hasn't been one country or nation that hasn't done cruel things to people. US, Soviet Union, German, Japan, China, England, all these countries and many other have their dark histories which they never publish or admit to.

oOAllykatOo

Imagine

Not all koreans hate Japan, only the old ones who have been taught to hate them or have experienced the war between the two, but now people are starting to accept them. My mom used to hate them, but now she doesnt after much convincing by me (shes korean). So, they just need to be taught correctly, that the japanese dont hate koreans, and than that way koreans wont hate japanese.

Imagination is more important than knowledge

-Einstein

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

Japan invaded China and Korea way back in the day, that's why. Taiwan used to be a Japanese territory until it was handed over the China some time ago.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

Firebomb

Anime Lover

i am chinese and i don't hate japanese at all. Japans awesome

Look, if you are not Taiwanese, please don't answer for the Taiwanese.

Yes, the current government of Taiwan was the same government that fought the Japanese in WWII, but they fled to Taiwan in 1947 after they lost china to the communists.

BEFORE AND DURING WWII Taiwan was a PREFECTURE of Japan. The Japanese had ruled Taiwan for 50 years and after they lost the war, they had to give up Taiwan. The Japanese fought a war with china even before WWII and the Chinese lost, so they handed over Taiwan in 1895. Both my grandparents were born in Taipei, Taiwan (known as taihoku prefecture back then) as JAPANESE CITIZENS until they were both about 20 years old when Japan surrendered after WWII and gave up Taiwan. My grandfather was a soldier in the Japanese imperial army and told me how the US and China would bomb Taipei (taihoku) on a weekly basis.

Flash forward two years after WWII and the surrender of taiwan to china. The KMT party (the government of china) fled to Taiwan because they lost the civil war in china to the communists under chairman Mao. When the KMT arrived they were flabbergasted to see that Taiwan looked exactly like Japan, surprise surprise. They tore down most things the Japanese built and outright banned the use of the Japanese language. They declared mandarin the official language of Taiwan and then started slaughtering Taiwanese and stealing things. I guess that is another story for another day but you can see why the Taiwanese liked the Japanese better than the KMT party and why there was even a civil war in china in the first place.

My grandparents still have fond memories of the Japanese and they still do not speak one word of mandarin. When they KMT came and declared mandarin the official language my grandparents were already 20 so they were already out of school. They only know Taiwanese (different from mandarin) and Japanese (what they learned in school).

This is why Taiwanese like the Japanese. This is from a Taiwanese person, not a Chinese person and don't even try to argue Taiwan is a part of china. We have our own passport, currency, military, and government. In fact we can get into 141 countries without having to apply for a visa and we can get into the rest of the countries in the world with a visa and our passport. If we were a part of china I would be holding a Chinese, not Taiwanese passport. That and china has 1300 missiles pointed at us over here in Taiwan.

though i m not Japanese, Chinese and neither Taiwanese but i always adore these countries. I ve always been fascinated by their history and i ve read some.

Alenas

Retired Moderator

Alenas

Gone.

Well, this is an interesting topic....

I remember I was writing an essay about 'places of memory' and I decided to write about Hiroshima and Nagasaki and their commemorative places. I sent an email to the city representatives of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, asking them a few questions about it, among them also how do they feel about Americans now and do they still harbor resentment towards them for bombing them with nuclear bombs.

What I got truly amazed me - the man said that they've been working hard on trying to abolish nuclear weapons from the whole world so that things like Hiroshima and Nagasaki wouldn't happen to anyone again. He also said they still believe that American policy is 'the rule of power' that is in contradiction to their attempts to make this world a safer place and that saddens them. I think (I'm not sure but I think I read it somewhere) that Japan has publicly apologized to people of China and Korea for what they did to them in war, but I'm not so sure US has yet apologized to them for what they did to them in war. This is not a rap against US, I'm just stating what I think, which is subject to discussion and change.

My point is this: I have a very bad and negative opinion on war, politicians and politics in general. Coming from Croatia, I know what it's like to be in war and what it's like to run every day to your basement because there are sirens outside and the danger of your town being bombed. I remember the ground shaking and windows shattering on our house when the nearby city was bombed. I remember the fear I felt for my dad and for everyone else I knew and I was only 10 years old then. It's been years before we all found out that the president of our country back then (the one who proclaimed our 'independence') and the president of the country that was bombing us were drinking coffee together in our president's presidential residence while one of our most eastern cities was being bombed. They were drinking coffee and having a pleasant chat about how to best divide a third country among themselves (third country being Bosnia) while people were being killed, raped and massacred. And even later on, we found out from some of the transcripts that managed to leak out how he used to call us (us, the people) - literally, he called us cattle with small teeth - or to make things more simple - sheep. That's what we were to them. That's what we still are to all of them - brainless cattle to use as they see fit. That's how much they 'care' for you. And don't be fooled by my example only. It's the strategy that's been going on for centuries. Everywhere. Because I'm old and smart enough now to realize who's really at fault here - not the people - people are the pawns - manipulated with nationalism and religion and hatred to go to wars and kill others. I guess we're partially to blame for letting them play us like that....but I now know whom to hate and whom to point my finger at. So, the next time your country decides to go to war (if it isn't in one already), remember that you don't go to war for your 'country'. 'Country' is just a piece of land if there's no people there because it's the people who make the 'country'. You're not going to war for your 'country' - you're going to war because of people - people who are either so incompetent that they can't agree on something, or so heartless and unscrupulous that they use you for gaining more political and/or economic power. So ask yourselves next time, just for whom are you, your family or friends, going to die in war for.

I'm sorry for the long rant but I just had the need to express my opinion here...So, to answer your question about nations hating other nations because of wars - I don't hate the nations or the people. I should still be, by that logic, hating Serbs and who else not for doing what they did but I don't; after all, there were casualties on both sides and there are no 'rights' or 'wrongs' in war - you only have victims.
I guess it's hard to forget all the bad things that happened; as someone mentioned here - it leaves physical, emotional and mental scars on everyone. But like I said - don't hate the people who were manipulated into doing what they wanted, if you must hate, hate the ones who wanted and instigated the wars.

Just my own two cents. :)

Signature

page 5 of 5 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 119 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.