Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Noob Bible #3: All about Groups... - Minitokyo

Noob Bible #3: All about Groups...

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 44 total items

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Following Noob Bible #1: Everything you wanted to know... and Noob Bible #2: All about the Forum... is Noob Bible #3, everything to know about groups. If you are new to making groups, or if you're new to learning about groups, this is for you.

What are groups?
A group is an assemblage of people or objects located together. In the case of Minitokyo's created groups, members share similar interests. There are some members who collaborate with other members and get the approvals of them before making a group so the group will not have any major faults. You need to be at least level 20 to make a group. Prior to creating a group, please search for existing groups as a newly created group may be a duplicate of an older group. Note that when registering groups, you cannot have any spaces if more than one word is intended to be used. Instead, use either a hyphen ( - ) , an underscore ( _ ) , or you can join the words together to keep the group name in a single string.

How do I join groups?
You may join groups by going to the group you wish to join and clicking on Apply for this group, which is located on the left side of the page under the user box (or where you receive your notifications). A group moderator or administrator may eventually change your status from being an aspirant member to being either a member, a moderator, or an administrator.

How do I leave groups?
You may PM a moderator or an administrator in the group, and eventually you will be removed by request. You may also post in the group guestbook stating that you want to leave, but keep an eye out for other members who post, as your post may no longer be on the group page (you may view all the posts made by group members by clicking View all posts which is immediately above Guestbook Entry). Note that moderators and administrators have the ability to remove themselves from groups (more details about the abilities of moderators and administrators are below).

What are the basics of group interaction?
Groups are usually created with a purpose; there is no point in creating a group without a purpose. Members join groups because they have similar interests with the creator of the group. Basic group interaction usually involves getting to know fellow members and learning about their interests.

Other ways of group interaction
There are multiple ways for members in a group to interact. Contests can be held to maintain the interest of the group. As long as the contest doesn't cause any harm to other members, then it will be just fine. Art contests are usually the most promoted contests, and members in a group share their art with each other. Members who have similar interests may also want to get together in the offline world so they can really understand each other.

What happens if something goes wrong in a group?
If a member decides that he or she doesn't feel a certain kinship towards another member or other members in the group, the member can leave the group or can ask for help interacting with other members. It is also possible that discrimination may be a result of negative interaction. Members should try to either cooperate with each other in solving issues or they should call a moderator to help sort out the issue. Furthermore, if there are members who applied to groups and the moderators or administrators are not active in the group at all, the members can send a support inquiry to the Minitokyo moderators, filing a technical inquiry about what is wrong with the group.

I don't see the threads I created and I don't see my gallery items I submitted on the main page of the group. How can I get them to show?
After members become part of your group after changing their status from aspirant member to either a member, moderator, or administrator, their threads and their gallery items also become a factor. While your threads may not be recently posted in, their threads may have recent posts. With concern to the gallery items, the gallery items which attained the most favorites will be displayed in the group, and this cannot be changed unless those members whose gallery items have the highest favs out of all the members' gallery items that were submitted are removed from the group or other gallery items that are not viewed as highlights in the group attain more favorites than those that are highlighted.

Various levels of group administration
Members who are at least level 20 can be given the ability to administer or moderate the groups. If a member is lower than level 20 in a group, and he or she is appointed a moderator or administrator of the group, then that member will not be able to moderate or administer the group until he or she reaches level 20.

- Group Moderators have the ability to add and/or remove members from the group. If a member, by request, wants to be removed from the group, or if a member needs to be removed from a group due to insubordinate behavior, moderators can remove them from the group.

- Group Administrators not only have the same abilities as group moderators, but group administrators can also modify the group settings and edit the group page. Therefore, group administration should be given to members who know XHTML coding and members who will not abuse the privilege of being an administrator; the group will more than likely stay current.

Also, if a group is to remain active, the moderators and administrators could send notices to fellow members about certain dates or events.

Group Customization
Customization can only be done by a group administrator. When customizing groups, XHTML coding is used the same way it would be used in a member's own user page. Customization should also feature the purpose of the group to make it easier for members to know where the group is going with their ideas. You can even sponsor contests in customization so the other members would know of what is currently going on. It is recommended, in some way, that a list of members be created so the members would have easier access to others instead of having to only look up the 25 most recently joined members. Thus, older members wouldn't be forgotten at all. It is always a good idea to have 2 or 3 administrators in the group in the event one of the administrators leaves Minitokyo for a prolonged period of time.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Thanks, melmachine!

Pinned :)

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

angelrhea

angelrhea

<"Little Hime">

hi thanks for the help. i guess everyone needs to read this.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Quote by melmachine18Various levels of group administration
Members who are at least level 20 can be given the ability to administer or moderate the groups. If a member is lower than level 20 in a group, and he or she is appointed a moderator or administrator of the group, then that member will not be able to moderate or administer the group until he or she reaches level 20.

I think this point needs to be stressed out more often because I have a lot of people asking me how they can start up a group and all that.

You need to be Level 20 at least in order to make a group.

And don't make any pointless ones, really.

I find that a group being designed and established the best and most effective when two or more fellow members collaborate with one another to bring out a certain interest within the entire community, here on MT. Congrats on getting it pinned by the way. **Nods** Good show!

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

miraku-spike

miraku-spike

~Rurouni Kenshin~

wow, now I understand about groups. Thank a lot man!!

Signature Image

tareren

tareren

||Teh Panda Queen||

Whew, this is a good idea to make a bible about groups ,... thanks for your time in making the guide :D

Signature

ramchong

ramchong

Dirty Old Ninja Master

Thank you for the info given...

That's really helpful!!!

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Davo

Davo

I'll kill you

thanks for the infomation melmachine ;)

Signature Image
DAVO THE ECCHIMAKER :"If a demon stands in my way, I will cut him apart. If a saint stands in my way, I will cut him apart"

streamside

streamside

deranged.

A new n00b bible... this time by melmachine... ;)
well... this ought to help, ne?

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu

"A journey of a thousand miles...
is better in a car."

Sakura0chan

Sakura0chan

Nihongo o naraitai

Thanks for sharing this one melmachine18! It will surely help!! :D

Sakura-K

Sakura-K

::+Wingless Heart+::

wow...that was lots of help ^^ I'm sure it will be useful to others too ^.^ *nodz* :D

Signature

ozma255

ozma255

Vectorman!

This will surely help new and old members alike, it was a lot of help to me, thanks. :)

Signature

breadcrust

breadcrust

glowing city lights

just a quick note: you can still access the admin pages for a group if you are lower than level 20 and you are a group admin, its just you cant see the admin panel. :-)

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

Well written Mel :) . Seems to point out the bits and pieces needed for the newer member. *goes to change sig*

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

Ying

Ying

I'll Be Back!

I've been wondering what the difference between Group Moderators and Group Administrators was! and now I know! ^_- Thanks!

Signature Image

Where there's Yin there's always Yang

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Quote by breadcrustjust a quick note: you can still access the admin pages for a group if
you are lower than level 20 and you are a group admin, its just you
cant see the admin panel. :-)

Though this may be true, there are still some members who do not know how to access the moderator and administrator interface links. However, they can ask a member who is at least level 20 in the group and who is a moderator or an administrator to provide the URL to these pages.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

equinox01

equinox01

Lost In Darkness

this helps on my idea for a group but first i need to get to level 20

Signature
I don' Like myself much
Shadow

equinox01

equinox01

Lost In Darkness

thank you now as soon as i reach level 20 i think i might try my idea for a group

Signature
I don' Like myself much
Shadow

crewcifix

crewcifix

Christian Boy

pretty good rules! ;)

Feel the Rain on Your Skin. No One Else can Feel it For You. Only You Can Let it in.
Signature Image
-=Admin&Mod=- Flip | Ice and Snow | Nippon Foods | TSubasa | Pure Light Love | Assistance Coalescence | Make a Friend | FMWS | Syaoran shrine | Filipino Comm. | Sakura | Sea | Pokemon League | SS shrine | The Real Folk Blues | English | McDonald's

Hey, thanks for the help! :D

Signature
Member of: ~Make a friend~ ~Serenity~ ~Japanese~ ~FinalFantasyFans~
I'll see you all around, people! :D

YugureKaze

YugureKaze

The Lost Wanderer

wahh a new Noob Bible @_@
it was very helpful to me
thanks a lot for making this Bible ^^

maverickmechanic

maverickmechanic

Absurd Insanity

how do i create a group?

Signature ImageThere was glitter everywhere! It looked like somebody stabbed a pixie.
Roadie of .::DarK LeaF::.

hellbomb

KaBoom!

equinox01 how did you post two different messages at the exact same time, and twice in a row? x_x

....(_)_TNT_)----#
..(_)(_)_TNT_)----#
(_)(_)(_)_TNT_)----#
"somebody set up us the bomb"

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

hey mel (and any other members out there) i was wondering what one would do if they wanted to start a group, but were completely html illiterate so they could not be the admin of the group... should i just start the group and hope someone who is html literate joins and then promote them or what? thank you for any help you can give me!

Signature Image

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 44 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.