Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What do you think? - About Eating Disorders - Minitokyo

What do you think? - About Eating Disorders

page 1 of 1 2 total items

sarisasenshi

sarisasenshi

Ninja of the Hidden Cult Fandoms

In the local paper today, I read this entire article about this building pro-anorexia, pro-bulimic cult that seems to be building among some of the Web culture out there.

Girls are going to these websites and following their creeds and principles almost to the point where it becomes a religion to them, where a girl of fiction, Ana, acts as a guide to all things that have to do with dieting and exercise. They become proud of their disease, and strive to become like famous actresses who sometimes look like nothing more than skin and bones. In fact, some web sites have even been found selling red bracelets as a means of showing pride for their anorexic behavior, and to the even worse extreme, have displayed means of rituals and hexes to be places against tresspassers in the the name of their anorexic deity.

Now, I am not anorexic nor bulimic. I am not terribly overweight or thin, but that still doesn't keep me from trying to maintain a healthy diet and schedule of exercise. If I fail, I only try harder to achieve what I set out to do, by working harder. I have read many stories about anorexia, and am shocked by it every time. I could never do such a thing myself, and at the same time, have never wanted to. It is beyond my understanding, and it saddens me to think that the media culture has warped the ideals of young girls (and others) this much.

These are merely my opinions, but I would like to know what you all think about the issue to any length. Please try to offer some constructive criticism, and I will also try to respond to comments directed toward me when I can.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

While anorexia and bulimia among girls get the most media attention, the problem is also among guys.

I think people who are anorexic or bulimic really need to get some professional help. Their problems extends much beyond food to an entire psychological disease. I personally find anorexia a very disturbing disease, as I know some girls close to me who have been afflicted with the problem. They fight over not eating food.

Eating disorders stem from the media's overemphasis of the perfect "three sizes." Girls at young ages are easily influences by the endless TV commercials overflowing with sexual innuendo about the desirability of the three magic numbers. As a result, they go measure their own sizes, find that they are "over weight," and in their failure to understand that each girl/woman's body is VERY unique, go on a quest for an illusory "perfect" they've seen in the media.

To cure this disease, I believe that we need to shift attention away from the use of media celebrities as the mold into which everyone needs to fit. People on the big screen often have these diseases themselves; they are very poor role models for young girls going through puberty. I think the media needs to stop emphasizing the female body made for enticing sex from males and start looking at the body that is reality. True, there may be girls who naturally are super slim, but for the rest of the female population, the drive to achieve the unnatural can only destroy their bodies.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

page 1 of 1 2 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.