Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Good things about Bush? - Minitokyo

Good things about Bush?

page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 121 total items

unicorn2006

Retired Moderator

unicorn2006

:.ICE:.:BIN.:

and no I'm not being sarcastic. Everyone loves to jump on the bandwagon of Bush-bashing, even those who don't really know anything - assuming that he is an incompetent president. Granted, Bush has been quite/uh, very disappointing at times and his speeches (often flagrant - e.g. "axis of evil" "Kiim JongIl is a pygmy") have even left schoolchildren perplexed (e.g. "...the country of Africa!").. one of the things he is perpetually ridiculed for.

But does it all really warrant the type of demeaning criticism he faces? Has Bush really achieved nothing during his presidency? The fact that he was re-elected must mean something.. no?
I feel like it's often too easy to focus on the bad side of things (i.e. those endless depressing threads) when compared to many others, we don't have it as bad as we make it out to be.

So here's an opportunity to attempt to appreciate this hard-to-appreciate guy Bush and his achievements. (whatever they may be.) To flat out say that he's stupid or something is really not going to promote any sort of discussion here.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Possible responses I came up with:

-Bush is better looking than Clinton XD

More seriously,
-Some people also argue that Bush's strong sense of morals and adherence to his beliefs are his assets as a president. Even though he may be strong-headed, perhaps that's not such a bad thing - as in, someone like Kerry would have made a bad president.

-It can be argued that the Bush administration has made some progress in its War on Terror. They've tried to come up with a comprehensive strategy to attack major terrorist groups - and even though the general European response was lukewarm at best, the administration has managed to get the support of key Asian governments in this War on Terror. If Asia is really on the rise, people argue that it is good to have these common grounds of ideology to help foster good relations.

"Faith means believing in something that will only make sense in reverse."
"When men are the most sure and arrogant they are commonly the most mistaken..."

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

Quote by unicorn2006Everyone loves to jump on the bandwagon of Bush-bashing, even those who don't really know anything - assuming that he is an incompetent president.

Bush isn't necessarily an incompetent president, but of course, this is an assumption. Bush has done many things we find unfitting for our society and even our economy that led many of us to believe that he is an ineffective president. However, to some people, Bush remains a well-respected president because Bush supported those people in some way.

As long as the War on Terror continues, the US will be spending millions of dollars per day, and that is perhaps why so many prices have increased. The average spending on the war according to statistics is $177 million, which is quite a large sum and that money could be used to go to future developments, such as better education or even new homes for people who need them.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

sadotsu

sadotsu

Neko-sama

He was re-elected because the conservatives didn't want gay marriage.

Brownie the Cat

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Well the only good thing I can think about Bush at this point in time are those funny lipped clips you find on the net with him and Tony Blaire. Classic.

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

bbls

bbls

Lazy days...

i have a feeling this is going to turn into an awful flaming contest if someone even mentions something positive about pres. bush. from reading other politically driven threads, there is an overwhelming majority of bush haters who don't hesitate to tear him to pieces. i, for one, still respect him as our president...like any other president in our history, regardless of my political disagreements with any of them.

i know i'll be crucified for saying this, but i think pres. bush will have a chance to be remembered as a transformational president if the war on terror, democracy in iraq, and hopefully the slow spread of some democratic change in the middle east are eventually successful. he is an extremely controversial president, but i do give pres. bush credit for not wavering and trying to reform education, medicare, and social security. i'm not sure yet how successful his policies will be, but i do hope for the best. and i don't follow political ideology blindly because there are some social policies that i don't agree with him on.

the achievements of presidents are usually not fully realized until much later, for instance pres. johnson (who i never thought got enough credit for helping civil rights) and pres. reagan.

well, i guess i've given you all the opportunity to tear me up into itty bitty little pieces. so flame away!
*cowers in fear*

Don't worry about tomorrow, don't think about yesterday,
don't live in the future, just make it through today!

Signature Image

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

This'll be an extremly short thread :P

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

well bush really didn't do anything good. he made the US even worst. now all the other country hates US even more, and i heard US is now in over 7 trillain dollar debt . good luck paying that back. also whenever i hear his speech it really make me want to punch him, i mean when he give speech he's just reading off the paper his holding. yet he does really bad job!!! anyway i just can't believe that he got relected.

bbls

bbls

Lazy days...

Quote by Croixwell bush really didn't do anything good. he made the US even worst. now all the other country hates US even more, and i heard US is now in over 7 trillain dollar debt . good luck paying that back. also whenever i hear his speech it really make me want to punch him, i mean when he give speech he's just reading off the paper his holding. yet he does really bad job!!! anyway i just can't believe that he got relected.

it's true that he's not a very good speaker...i usually read some of his speeches online...they sound better that way... XD
actually, some of the content in his speech is quite good...but that is due to his speech writers... ^_^'

Don't worry about tomorrow, don't think about yesterday,
don't live in the future, just make it through today!

Signature Image

ultimate540

ultimate540

Innocence Fleeting

his environmental policies are not to my liking...He doesn't seem like a mean guy in person, but you can be a nice guy and not be a very good president.

Sunira

Sunira

www.sunira.net

He helped pass the partial birth abortion bill.

On June 19, Bush signed a law authorizing $375 million in fiscal 2003 and 2004 for institutions that dispense tiny loans of $50 and up to poor people who want to start businesses. Many of these "microloans" are targeted for Africa. The sum is a $65 million increase over existing levels for those two years, and the bill directs the U.S. Agency for International Development (usaid) to ensure that most of the money reaches the world’s poorest. That may sound like chump change, considering that 166 million people in Africa are desperately poor. But from Bolivia to Indonesia to Uganda, microlending programs are proving that small sums can dramatically lift living standards. In the past five years, the number of such banks has tripled to 2,200 and now reach 52 million people around the world, by one estimate."

Those are two for you. :)

Quote by littlejonny100This'll be an extremly short thread :P

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!
...yeah....a lot of people hate Bush....thats just because we're all jealous of him. T_T >sarcasm<

unicorn2006

Retired Moderator

unicorn2006

:.ICE:.:BIN.:

Quote by bbls
i know i'll be crucified for saying this, but i think pres. bush will have a chance to be remembered as a transformational president if the war on terror, democracy in iraq, and hopefully the slow spread of some democratic change in the middle east are eventually successful. he is an extremely controversial president, but i do give pres. bush credit for not wavering and trying to reform education, medicare, and social security.

^^ well-said. Too bad the Bush-haters seem to overwhelm all else.

Quote by SuniraHe helped pass the partial birth abortion bill.
On June 19, Bush signed a law authorizing $375 million in fiscal 2003 and 2004 for institutions that dispense tiny loans of $50 and up to poor people who want to start businesses. Many of these "microloans" are targeted for Africa. The sum is a $65 million increase over existing levels for those two years, and the bill directs the U.S. Agency for International Development (usaid) to ensure that most of the money reaches the world’s poorest. That may sound like chump change, considering that 166 million people in Africa are desperately poor. But from Bolivia to Indonesia to Uganda, microlending programs are proving that small sums can dramatically lift living standards. In the past five years, the number of such banks has tripled to 2,200 and now reach 52 million people around the world, by one estimate."

oh, didn't know about a partial abortion bill. interesting..

"Faith means believing in something that will only make sense in reverse."
"When men are the most sure and arrogant they are commonly the most mistaken..."

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Quote by sadotsuHe was re-elected because the conservatives didn't want gay marriage.

That is only one of the issues in the 2004 election. Yes it played a big role but such things as the economy and foreign policy regarding America's place in the world I think played the biggest roles.

Quote by Croix and i heard US is now in
over 7 trillain dollar debt . good luck paying that back.

You must realize the even with John Kerry in power, it will be impossible for the Democrats to repay the national debt. Remember, even with Bill Clinton's budget surplus, it was only a budget surplus. He was far from balancing the national debt.

Quote by bblsi know i'll be crucified for saying this, but i think pres. bush will have a chance
to be remembered as a transformational president if the war on terror,
democracy in iraq, and hopefully the slow spread of some democratic
change in the middle east are eventually successful. he is an extremely
controversial president, but i do give pres. bush credit for not
wavering and trying to reform education, medicare, and social security.
i'm not sure yet how successful his policies will be, but i do hope for
the best. and i don't follow political ideology blindly because there
are some social policies that i don't agree with him on.
the achievements of presidents are usually not fully realized until
much later, for instance pres. johnson (who i never thought got enough
credit for helping civil rights) and pres. reagan. well, i guess i've
given you all the opportunity to tear me up into itty bitty little
pieces. so flame away!
*cowers in fear*

Don't worry, I think people here on MT will be civilize enough to carry on an intellectual debate without resorting to outright flaming.

But I agree with some of the things you say. George Bush's policies, regardless of one's current political views of them, are very transformational in every sense of the word. Many people may disagree with these policies, especially in foreign affairs, but I think we must admit that changes are taking place. For example, the first elections ever were held recently in Saudi Arabia, a nation known to kill you if you do not belong to the Wahhabi sect of Islam.

I also agree with your assessment that Bush's legacy will not be fully known until much later. Your example of Johnson is appropriate with respect to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The landmark legislation to finally give equal rights to all was undeniably overshadowed by Johnson's failure in Vietnam. Today, his legacy is still overpowered by that war, but historians must also admit the civil rights success domestically.

Similarly, Bush's legacy will only be known when the current saga in the Middle East plays out. Should the current Iraqi government and all governments subsequent fall into unending chaos like the conflict between the Palistinians and the Israelis, then Bush will be known as the man who distablized the region even more. Should Iraq become a functional (note I didn't say thriving, that would be too optimistic) democracy, then Bush will be seen in a better light.

There are of course many pieces of legislation with which I strongly disagree. For example, his current social security reform bill. But I think we must realize that whatever he did and shall do in the remainder of his second term, we can still voice our opinions to affect change locally and nationally by participating in the political process.

Get out the word, petition city hall, call your state legislature, write your Capitol Hill congressional representative and senator and let them know what you believe is the best thing for the United States. If people all take part in the government that is after all "of the people, by the people, and for the people," then your voices will be heard.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

he does what no one else has the guts to do

Signature Image

Quote by SharinganKnighthe does what no one else has the guts to do

He has the guts to send in millions of troops and billions of $$$$$ for funding his campaign in Iraq... He puts the US in debt right after Bill Clinton clears it...

The guy did nothing good... Only reason he invaded iraq in my opinion was to finsih off what his father wasn't able to.

Quote by aznfun1234

Quote by SharinganKnighthe does what no one else has the guts to
do

He has the guts to send in millions of troops and billions of $$$$$ for
funding his campaign in Iraq... He puts the US in debt right after Bill
Clinton clears it...

you actually think he was the one behind the decision? no, the CIA runs this country, they picked him as president and made him do what no one else would. What's done is done, and the Iraquis seem to be having trouble understanding the fact that they lost the war...they're better off calming down and letting the US do its thing...

Signature Image

sadotsu

sadotsu

Neko-sama

Quote by sadotsuHe was re-elected because the conservatives didn't want gay marriage.

Acutally... scratch that. That was a really dumb thing to say. Ok, rephrase.
Bush was re-elected because people didn't like Kerry, not because they liked Bush. And also not because they liked him better than Kerry, but the conservatives will always vote for a Republican, no duh.

Brownie the Cat

screenlooker

screenlooker

master chief's real face

i dont care if he is president or what other people think,bush is a dumbass

Godfrey of Ibelin: Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath.

OceanAngel01

OceanAngel01

umi no tsubasa

Quote by screenlookeri dont care if he is president or what other people think,bush is a dumbass

Do you have any reasons for this opinion or do you just believe what MTV tells you to believe?

Hey, I don't adore the guy, and I know he's not the brightest president, but I think he is trying.

To clarify: The only reason Clinton had a budget (NOT national debt) surplus was becuase of economic sanctions put into place by Reagan, the previous president.

Note: And you know, maybe I don't care whether other countries like us or not, they still take our money, arms, food, and troops to help them don't they? The United States is not an "evil" country. Historically, any country we have taken over, we have given back to the people of that country. Starting with Mexico in the 1800s, to Japan after wwii, and now Iraq. How many other countries can say that? England? Nope. France? Nope. Japan? Nope.......

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

OceanAngel01 has well retiterated what I said earlier. Thanks Umi-san!!!

Clinton make a budget surplus. He was far from clearing the national debt.

And a projection by past US treasury officials dating back to I think Carter?, calculated that regardless if Kerry or Bush won office in 04, the total national debt will come out pretty much the same in 08.

Of course, that's just their prediction. I do not claim to agree. But a point must be made that no president in the near future will even the national debt.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

Masaru-San

Masaru-San

Mayor of Hardcoretown.

We can't let terrorists come in and kill us off! It's bad enough we let Mexicans in so easily. For better or for worse, I would have done the same thing if I was in Bush's shoes, but I would have done it better. Also, I would get rid of that stupid color code thing.

Take a look toward the sky, Halvdane. We shall fill the air with spears to turn black this christian sun.

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

Well as for promoting an image, I'm an Australian and I never hear anything good about America over here. I'm not speaking on behalf of all Australians but me and all my friends round here agree that America isn't exactly a country we'ld wanna live in

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

darkspiral486

darkspiral486

Carpe Annum

Yeah, everyone complains about how Bush launched us into a war, but what would you have done in his place? Twiddled your thumbs while those Al-Quaeda ****'s did what they ****ing pleased?! Personally, when I watched the clips of the two towers collapsing, if I had been the right age I would have been about 4 seconds away from joining the military, I was so mad. So we go over there, whoop up and now we clean up. Sure, Iraq might have been unnecessary in some people's opinion, but by that same logic it would have been OK to let Hitler do what he ****ing pleased with the Jews! Saddam Hussien deserved everything he got.

(Sorry, that's a topic I'm really passionate about. I'm calm now, lol)

On the budget thing, as has been stated before, there isn't much the President can do to fix the economy. It really sets me off how ignorant people are of our whole political system. If the President had the power to fix the economy with a snap of his fingers, he wouldn't be a President: he would be a Tyrant. Your average idiot citizen expects the President to give him everything from a job to sunshine on his vacation, and blames the President if it doesn't happen. That's downright retarded. Also, if you insist on blaming him for the current debt, remember how the stock market almost crashed after 9/11, and he pulled it back up. If you want to say that somebody else saved the stock market, how can you blame Bush for making the economy bad?

On another note: Sure, Europe might hate us now, but where is the huge change there? They loved us when we were kicking the Germans off the beaches of Normandy, they loved us when we give food and aid, they love us when we help them out... and hate us within a month after we leave. They expect us to come to their aid, and yet when we go off to aid someone else they call us meddlers?! (No offense to any Europeans here! Just making a point)

Quote by Croixwell bush really didn't do anything good. he made the US even worst.
now all the other country hates US even more, and i heard US is now in
over 7 trillain dollar debt . good luck paying that back. also whenever
i hear his speech it really make me want to punch him, i mean when he
give speech he's just reading off the paper his holding. yet he does
really bad job!!! anyway i just can't believe that he got relected.

Hate to break it to you, but every president since Lincoln has had speechwriters. It's part of the job. You love characters in movies, and love the people who play those characters, but you never remember the fact that they have somebody who created them from the ground up. Do you give the creators the credit or the blame? No, you give it to the actor. It's the same way in politics. What's great about our political system is that you can put an idiot in office (not infering that Bush is an idiot, this is hypothetical) and still have the government run fine.

asagoro

hokori o motsu

there is nothing good about bush. my brother's cat buddy, who is as dumb as a post, is smarter than he is. he's a lying @$$hole. that is all. :)

page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 121 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.