Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Extraction - Minitokyo

page 1 of 1 19 total items

Makhan

Makhan

Eccentric Angel

Sure, I've been walling for a few months now, so I'm quite familiar with the extraction process at this point. However, there's still one thing I'm not entirely sure what to do about. If you have a picture where there are no lines--for instance, a gradient fade, or something of that nature--how should one go about extracting it? Obviously the hard-edged polygonal lasso won't do. Is there any way to remove a background color from something like this short of redrawing that part of the scan?

Signature
New Wallpapers: Monochrome Etude
Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein.

ShiNN

ShiNN

O RLY?!

Try using the pen tool. That's best tool to extract a scan, as far as I know ^_^

Makhan

Makhan

Eccentric Angel

Pen tool? How would you use that to extract?

:blink:

The only use the pen tool has had for me is for vector style graphics.

Signature
Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein.

nekosasu

nekosasu

chibi ningen no baka ~desu

i never used the pen tool... looks so difficult >_< or maybe i never got really involved with ps, could also be lol

ShiNN

ShiNN

O RLY?!

Quote by MakhanPen tool? How would you use that to extract?

:blink:

The only use the pen tool has had for me is for vector style graphics.

eh? Once you draw a path with the pen tool, click the right mouse button and select "Make Selection". Bingo.

Makhan

Makhan

Eccentric Angel

Oh, that's essentially exactly the same as the polygonal lasso tool... I was asking for a scan that didn't have clear cut edges. For instance... If I wanted to get rid of the white background here, but keep the effects behind the characters, how do I do that? >.<

Signature

exentric

exentric

Plain Lazy

ahh.. the kind of problem I have before. all the advice I can say, just extract it normally. using the polygonal or pen tool. after you have extracted it, blur the edges, or soften where the edges are kinda soft, gradient type. in other word, cut it hard, and make it soft like it was before extracted. ^_^

Makhan

Makhan

Eccentric Angel

Thanks for the tip, exentric-san, I'll try it out. Guess there isn't any easy way around it, huh? Ah, well, I'll give it my all.

Thanks, mina-san!

Signature

calisqo

calisqo

::RERAITO::

glowing edges? is that what u were saying?
If so
Maybe u can extract it using eraser tool >.< at zoomed in view.
Using soft edges eraser that is.

Makhan

Makhan

Eccentric Angel

Er, no... rather like... hmmm...

Hard to say. Lemme see if I can find a scan that demonstrates it. Or even the scan that I'm talking about. XP

Signature

calisqo

calisqo

Quote by MakhanEr, no... rather like... hmmm...
Hard to say. Lemme see if I can find a scan that demonstrates it. Or even the scan that I'm talking about. XP

>.<
oops XD

Chani

Dune Master

I use The gimp, but i think it's the same think in toshop..

You can add/substract different selection to obtain the correct one.. I use it to have a good extract. After you can reduce or higher by 1 pixel for example to éliminate or keept the edge. ;)

.: JPOP FANS | French Tribu | Anime Paradise | MtnOOb club| Chaos Cross group|Doujinshi support club|English Club :.
Pour des conseils sur les regles generales, allez voir N00b Bible #1.
Pour des conseils sur le forum, allez voir N00b Bible #2.
Pour des conseils sur les groupes, allez voir N00b Bible #3.
[c] Aa-chan

Makhan

Makhan

Eccentric Angel

'Sokay, Calisqo, it's hard to describe... lemme see. I was using a kof scan... where is it?

Ah. http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/40930/ I just want to get rid of the white background...

Signature

ever-ruler

ever-ruler

..: winter air :..

To extract images where the edges aren't clearly defined (gradient fade or glow), go to quick mask mode, it's the right button on the section under the colors in the toolbar, or just press Q. Then use the brush tool to paint over the areas you want, it should be overlayed with a red color, on the parts where the edges aren't defined, lower the opacity of the brush and paint. You can use gaussian blur to smooth it if needed. After you finished painting, you exit quick mask mode by pressing Q again. A selection will appear on the areas that wasn't painted, just invert the selection (Ctrl + Shift + I) and copy and paste.

Alternatively, you can use a layer mask and paint with a semi-transparent color for the blurred edges.

Hope this explanation is clear enough, sorry if it isn't, I'm not too good at explaining steps. I hope it helps you!

Extracting a semi-transparent object, of course, is rather difficult. Especially when it would be cool to have your wallpaper be visible behind the object like how the background of the scan was visible behind the character. You're best hope is to just cut out the transparent portion, and recreate something similar in it's place.

I recently had to cut out a logo that was on a white background, but part of it had some linear gradients that faded to white. No ammount of laso/selection would fix it if I put it on a non-white background. So I ended up cutting out the gradient, and putting in a color-to-transparent linear gradient. Now it looks great no matter what background it's over.

If you've got something more complicated than a simple gradient, get used to the gradient tool in whatever program you're using. Even photoshop can do gradients on a path. That and some masking are plenty able to do just about anything. Think about it as a reason to take your skills to the next level with your graphics program of choice.

Tokitoh

Tokitoh

onmyoji

I use Channel Mask to extract everything. In my opinion, it is the best way to extract complicated stuff (and I used everything: extract, pen, lasso, eraser, mask, etc).

Here is a tutorial I just found for you: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop/l/blrbps_2fwks.htm

And if I still have some borders or leftovers (black for example) and I don't want anything like that on my cool wallpaper, I do Ctrl+A on the extracted image (layer) and then go Select>Modify>Contract>1 or 2 pixels>Layer via cut. After that I just set the blending mode to screen or lighten, or whatever (depends on the color of the leftovers) and it's done. =)

Signature

I didn't lose my mind, I sold it on ebay.

Makhan

Makhan

Eccentric Angel

Woah... ^_^' hahaha, didn't think I'd get so many replies. Anyway, thanks for all the tips! I'll try some of them out... eventually.... >.<

So busy, busy, busy... I hate the end of the school year. XO

Signature

calisqo

calisqo

nice tips <.<
I know u could use some too ^_^

I always use the soft rounded eraser ranging from size 2 for small bits and parts inside lines like /\ and up to 15 for the main parts around the edge. Takes a long time but gives excellent results. Gets even better results if you use masking ;)

~knighty

Member of:
MT UK

page 1 of 1 19 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.