Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Vectoring: PS or AI? - Minitokyo

Vectoring: PS or AI?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

MissCz

MissCz

// divine execution. //

Subject says all. :D Which is more practical? I'm assuming AI, but I've talked to others and they say PS works just as well. Thoughts?

Signature

>> A d e s i r e to | e x p r e s s | myself. <<

calisqo

calisqo

::RERAITO::

they sai it's AI,
but for me ps would do fine >.>
Although i heard Ai has more features.... (anyone correct me on this if i'm wrong >.<)

MissCz

MissCz

// divine execution. //

It looks like both of us could use some clarification, or at least defining some pros and cons for either one. Help us! :D

Signature

calisqo

calisqo

::RERAITO::

Quote by MissCzIt looks like both of us could use some clarification, or at least defining some pros and cons for either one. Help us! :D

lol def ^_^
But AI looks bit complicated. >.< well at least to me since i haven try it yet XD
Ijust had a glance at it >.<

ShiNN

ShiNN

O RLY?!

PS is not a real vectoring program. What you obtain is not a "real" vector, rather a pseudo vector.

Illustrator is designed for vectoring purposes and has far much better tools.

Tatsuya

Tatsuya

.: Lonely Chicky:.

both, in my case, i'm using AI draw the outline, after that, using photoshop coloring the whole scan!

Signature

ps : excuse my poor english

Chani

Dune Master

Well Illustrator is better to made a vectoring.. it's make for this apply. Perso, i use a GNU software named Inkscape. I found it powerfull.. enough for me ;)

.: JPOP FANS | French Tribu | Anime Paradise | MtnOOb club| Chaos Cross group|Doujinshi support club|English Club :.
Pour des conseils sur les regles generales, allez voir N00b Bible #1.
Pour des conseils sur le forum, allez voir N00b Bible #2.
Pour des conseils sur les groupes, allez voir N00b Bible #3.
[c] Aa-chan

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

I myself use PS for vectors, .. like ShiNN said... it's pseudo-vector, since it has to be made in a certain initial resolution, and the result is in bit-maps.
But, I think AI is much better for vectoring, since it is originally a software designed for that purpose...
AI is just too complicated for me ^_^' so I use PS.
well, the result is visually identical, .... so it's a matter of personal preference.

For HQ anime pieces of art
visit : [FRAGMENTS] - www.crash.inweb.dk

jeniferdono

jeniferdono

Sleepless

Illustrator is waaaay way better for vectors. I tried photoshop once and it's actually harder and takes longer (for me) to make a vector in there. Pen tool is more accurate in ill. too.

MissCz

MissCz

// divine execution. //

Isn't it essentially the same? I can't imagine how it'd be longer, OR different (besides the technical issues. No offense jenifer!) Can't you just use the pen tool for either one and color it in with either program?

Signature

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

I use PS because I don't have AI, and I'm too lazy to get it. Vectoring in Photoshop is actually very easy to me, and it helps you get a good grasp on the pen tool so that you can use it for other things as well. Though Photoshop is essentially a bitmap-based program and only permits you to make a pseudo-vector, the end result is still pretty nice.
But, in the end, it's not about the tools, it's about your skills. :)

MissCz

MissCz

// divine execution. //

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a drastic difference between vectoring and pseudovectoring? Or is it just a technical thing that really doesn't matter at all? And as for skill, I have none! I loath the pen tool.

Signature

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

Quote by MissCzPardon my ignorance, but is there a drastic difference between
vectoring and pseudovectoring? Or is it just a technical thing that
really doesn't matter at all? And as for skill, I have none! I loath
the pen tool.

It's pretty much one of those non-important technical details.
You hate the pen tool? That's understandable, but once you vector (all right, pseudo-vector, for those of you who care...) once, you'll get used to it really fast. I myself am addicted to the pen tool. XD
I haven't talked to you in a long time, CZ! :D

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Clarification. Photoshop is a "raster" graphic program... Not a bit-map (trademark of Microsoft). THe raster group of file formats include BMP, tiff, GIF, JPG, PNG, Photoshop, etc.

I've used photoshop for touch up vectoring, mainly for banners on my web journal... as my hand Stinks at using the mouse to draw.

But "psudo-vector" or not, I always make my vector file dimensions huge, and I still end up zooming in at 400% or so to draw.

Oh a difference between Psudo-vectors and true vectors is that Psudo vectors lose the scalability feature of true vector formats. Meaning you lose the ability to resize the image at the same clarity as a true vector. Probably only an issue when blowing up an image....

All of my submitted vectors are from Illustrator... exported as an EPS file, and then resaved in Photoshop as a JPG with the correct dimensions and DPI res setting.

MissCz

MissCz

// divine execution. //

I know, right? :( You're like, way too cool for me now! :D Thanks for the info, btw...now, are there any sites that offer tutorials on vectoring? I'm fiddling with the pen tool right now in AI, but it looks...weird. Thanks for replying. :)

Edit: Oh! Your post just popped up, Moogle! Thanks for the info! :D

Signature

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

Here's a PS vectoring tutorial ~ Sako's Tracing Tutorial. :D

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Quote by MissCzI know, right? :( You're like, way too cool for me now! :D Thanks for
the info, btw...now, are there any sites that offer tutorials on
vectoring? I'm fiddling with the pen tool right now in AI, but it
looks...weird. Thanks for replying :)

haha... Yeah, the pen tool IS awkward to use at first...

Sites? I'm not really aware of any. I thought that Tama-Neko had a site on this... but either I found it and it didn't make any sense to me or I found a tutorial on the wrong topic. I'm sure that googling or ask jeeves could provide a tutorial.

I had a breif exposure to Illustrator in one of my intro Multi-media classes before I changed back to computer programming. The instructor's tip was if you plan on making curves... Keep the mouse button pressed and drag. Using the Alt + mouse click (works same for Macs AND Windows) to grab the anchors lines it drew to change the magnitude and orientation (angle). Oh, and If you can, try to make the image with less points.

My Asuka head lying down (on this site in my gallery) was my very first vector... I did it because I really wanted to take that course on Illustrator... but couldn't because of other, non-related pre reqs... and changed major.

Side note, related to vectors: I picked it up quickly because I was into the graphic formats earlier on in college. I found a portion of calculus to be useful, concept of 1st derivative (am I spelling it right?). It's hard for me to word how it relates or is useful...

sorry I couldn't be more help right now...

Edit:
PS: without the tracing image in the back ground, true vectors take less file space and are smaller... Unless they are emulating the raster image... (i.e. a box/circle or shape for every single pixel).... That would be larger than even BMP/TIFF

How do I know so much about these formats? College class... got familiar with Bitmaps then... enough to make a program for linear algebra to "scramble" pixel locations based on a matrix that said how far they would move... Had to be a square space. (I hated Arnold's Cat Map). so I used a moogle icon for the example instead...

MissCz

MissCz

// divine execution. //

<3 :D LAST question! I promise. Are all vectors usually done on one layer? Or does it vary by situation? :) Thanks so much Zephy! :)

Edit. Again. - Moogle, your info is of major help . Thanks a bunch. :) :) :)

Signature

EvoIIICE9A

EvoIIICE9A

Got Dango?

neither I wouldnt use them for vectoring at all. I will stick with Macromedia Freehand

jeniferdono

jeniferdono

Sleepless

Quote by MissCzIsn't it essentially the same? I can't imagine how it'd be longer, OR
different (besides the technical issues. No offense jenifer!) Can't you
just use the pen tool for either one and color it in with either
program?

I'm just faster with illustrator's pen tool vs. photoshop's. No technical issues really. Plus you can edit points easier later on in illustrator vs. photoshop's lame path palatte.

ShiNN

ShiNN

O RLY?!

Quote by MissCz&lt;3 :D LAST question! I promise. Are all vectors usually done on one
layer? Or does it vary by situation? :) Thanks so much Zephy! :)
Edit. Again. - Moogle, your info is of major help . Thanks a bunch. :)
:) :)

Definetely not. I use a layer for the outlines, and then a layer for every level of shading/colours. That way I have an organized set of layers and I can easily find what I am looking for in case I have to change it/tweak it with Pathfinders/Clipping Masks.

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Quote by MissCz&lt;3 :D LAST question! I promise. Are all vectors usually done on one

I recommend against it.
grouping like objects together makes it more organized and easier to manage... especially when you decide, "Hey, I want this <object1> to go in back of <object2>". But it's entirely your choice. I like to keep my outlining separate from the colored objects. And for outlining, I have the Slash or no collor in the Fill section. And I play with pen Width too, and try to go for the more smooth version.

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

Quote by MissCz<3 :D LAST question! I promise. Are all vectors usually done on one

I never ever vector on the same layer. I usually have 75+ layers. I do the outlines (if the vector in question has outlines) on the top layer and all the color layers go beneath them. Each different color should have a new layer. :D

wow zerphjiris

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 26 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.