Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 :: Last Exile :: opinions? - Minitokyo

:: Last Exile :: opinions?

Tagged under Last Exile

page 1 of 1 16 total items

unicorn2006

Retired Moderator

unicorn2006

:.ICE:.:BIN.:

I recently finished watching Last Exile, and honestly I didn't quite understand why it's given such high ratings.. On AnimeNfo I think it's ranked #7 or so of the top 200 anime series.

A lot of the reviews said the animation was great.. but I didn't think it that spectacular.. there were so many places where the 3-D objects seemed like they were slapped onto 2-D images (like painfully obviously), or where the voice acting and the animation didn't work that well with each other. Like there were moments when the character was laughing (it looks like it should be 'hahahahaha') and there was no real laugh (you hear 'he.. he...'). And the voice acting in general seemed quite dull.
Hm. there were aspects of the plot that were unresolved or just ignored.. and except for maybe Deeo (the Guild guy that looks/sounds like a girl.. i thought he was a girl), I really did not feel like any of the characters were developed very well. Plus character design was unimpressive.. I mean, normal civilians aside, couldn't they have been more creative with the Guild people..? (esp that queen lady, whatever her name was)

So, I'm still trying to understand why all these people like this series.

But I mean.. I guess it could just be me..?

[edit]
ah, i forgot to talk about the good aspects! mm yea even though the 2-D/3-D thing annoyed me, the animation had a soft ethereal feel to it that I liked. I wish it weren't so gloomy through the entire thing. And... even though I didn't really like the music much, it seemed to fit the series well. Character design I didn't really like, but the world itself was pretty interesting ^^ And the plot was also more original it seems - even though there were loose spots, I think it was pretty much the story that kept me watching till the end.

[btw, I searched for this topic.. 'last exile' => the only other thread on this is more than a year old and is also closed for some reason. the other one is about the ending of last exile. if i missed it, go ahead and close plz, shinsengumi ^^]

"Faith means believing in something that will only make sense in reverse."
"When men are the most sure and arrogant they are commonly the most mistaken..."

Siri

Siri

Suou

okay i can see where you're coming from
but i kind of liked it
i really don't know why
because usually i wouldn't like this kind of anime
but it was either i was anime deficient for a long time
and i watched it late at night in front of the tv with heaps of snacks and hot drinks lol (usually its uncomfortably crammed onto my chair infront of the computer)

but i liked the charaters. especially dio
but i hated what happened to him in the end..
that was... stupid. dio in the end was just used to characterise his sisters cruelness?
and i liked the little girl's voice acting. (i've forgotten her name already)
all the characters got annoying at some stage but i grew to like them by the end

hmm i didnt really see a problem with the voice acting
and i think all animes that have 3d objects in them just look like they're slapped onto 2d images so my expectations weren't really ruined in this anime

i didn't think it was that bad
but i wouldn't call it brilliant either
its a bit of a stale anime to be honest
but i found it interesting enough to keep me going

When everyone leaves you... I'll look for you then
Signature Image

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

I personally really loved Last Exile, because the world really fascinated me, with visible elements from so many different eras of history, great battles in seas of clouds, a cast of memorable characters, and an excellent plotline.

Either way, I highly suggest that you take a look at the review we have in the Last Exile section here ( http://browse.minitokyo.net/257/last_exile/ ), and perhaps that once you finish the series, that you submit your own review for Last Exile so that others can share with and comment upon your concerns.

Quote: btw, I searched for this topic.. 'last exile' => the only other thread on this is more than a year old and is also closed for some reason. the other one is about the ending of last exile. if i missed it, go ahead and close plz, shinsengumi ^^

*grin* I really appreciate you doing a search first! Don't worry. . . if all of the other threads are more than eight weeks old, you're safe! :)

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

yieloon

yieloon

#1 Slacker

So so anime. I am also stump as to why this anime is so highly rated. The animation wasnt even that good. Above average CG , lots of blur wind/cloud, making it a very dark show.
And then the storyline isnt even that good. It just show them looking for a lost weapon.

And the action scene, it is just so boring with them just flying around.

Signature

They say that god arranged relationships, but men created separation.

all i gotta say is you have to watch it to enjoy it
maybe the first few episodes arn't entirely perfect but if you keep watching it gets really good
i think its a really good series :)

I thought the animation was very well done. It was very consistant throughout the series. The cg's were exceptionally good. The vehicles, atmosphere (clouds and such), and backgrounds were really detailed. I agree that at some points the 2-D didn't blend too well, but if you got into the storyline, it was hardly noticable.
The animation aside, I didn't think that it deserved the praise it got either. The plot was kinda boring and so was the ending. But it still looked good sucking.

shermanramni

Sherman, the Ramni

Well... I loved Last Exile when i saw it.

The story is really good (no need to rely on fanservice is great), and excellent animation. OST is OK, but evrythin else is of great quality.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

punker0017

punker0017

My backpack's got jets

I really loved Last Exile. I think its a great anime. There are a couple of weak spots, but I dont feel that they are major problems.

Signature in violation of the Signature Guidelines

i don't think it's that great (to be #7 and all) but it is pretty good. unique story and awsome animation...a good combo

Uffa

Amanojaku

:) I think that Last Exile is one of the best anime that I watched on TV (in Italy, my country, LE is finished in January)
I love world, Prestale, the perfect steampunk atmosphere, the amazing characters, Dio and Lucciola, but above all, the little things, the detail that make this anime so memorable.
The ilarious gags of mechanical crew, the shiness of Alister, Dio and Lucciola friendship,
Alvis' plush goat (lol)...................the orrible pedicure of Delphine!!! ^_^'
It is hard to believe but also in this little and apparently useless details that I can understand if an anime is swallow or not, and LE doesn't.

Sorry 4 my english!! OX

Short signature for spammers!!!

I'm not for sure if I would rank Last Exile in the top 7, but its defintely in the top 20. I for one, thought the animation was indeed beautiful. It was dark at times and refreshing at others. As for the characters, they were a little strange at first, but they grow on you and I can no longer see them in any other way, erm, for the most part :P. They're were some unresolved issues like you say, but that comes with the majority of all anime.

i thought it to be a unique story and it kept my attention. I felt pulled into the story at times. I thought Deeo's character was portrayed perfectly. Don't you hate it when they look like girls, but hare guys. I most defintely think his voice sounded male. As for his sister, I did expect something much more for her character. Although, she was crueler than I thought she'd be. I hate what happend to Deeo at the end, it was a bad resolve to his character. I feel bad for him. The captain's character was a bit displeasing to me at times too. But I guess its to be expected from his past.

i think this is a wonderful anime and I am for the better for watching it, in an anime sense.

bluSake

Retired Moderator

bluSake

True: The plot is sort of slow...and the ending is so loose that it just proves that Gonzo created the series to show off their beautiful beautiful mecha ::coming from person who can't stand mecha:: When I began, I thought I wouldn't like the series and would just watch for the visuals ::and an excuse to wallpaper:: but within couple episodes I was really enjoying it. I think it was the skyscape setting: the feeling of escape and possibility and beauty. So...that's why I liked it.

Signature Image
Last walls - [The Lotus] for xxxHolic || [Amano Couture] for Yoshitaka Amano
Groups - [Aspiring Mafia] [NewWaveProject] || [Straw-Hat-Pirates] [Simple-ism]

Quote by unicorn2006I recently finished watching Last Exile, and honestly I didn't quite
understand why it's given such high ratings.. On AnimeNfo I think it's
ranked #7 or so of the top 200 anime series. A lot of the reviews said
the animation was great.. but I didn't think it that spectacular..
there were so many places where the 3-D objects seemed like they were
slapped onto 2-D images (like painfully obviously), or where the voice
acting and the animation didn't work that well with each other. Like
there were moments when the character was laughing (it looks like it
should be 'hahahahaha') and there was no real laugh (you hear 'he..
he...'). And the voice acting in general seemed quite dull. Hm. there
were aspects of the plot that were unresolved or just ignored.. and
except for maybe Deeo (the Guild guy that looks/sounds like a girl.. i
thought he was a girl), I really did not feel like any of the
characters were developed very well. Plus character design was
unimpressive.. I mean, normal civilians aside, couldn't they have been
more creative with the Guild people..? (esp that queen lady, whatever
her name was)
So, I'm still trying to understand why all these people like this
series. But I mean.. I guess it could just be me..?
[edit]
ah, i forgot to talk about the good aspects! mm yea even though the
2-D/3-D thing annoyed me, the animation had a soft ethereal feel to it
that I liked. I wish it weren't so gloomy through the entire thing.
And... even though I didn't really like the music much, it seemed to
fit the series well. Character design I didn't really like, but the
world itself was pretty interesting ^^ And the plot was also more
original it seems - even though there were loose spots, I think it was
pretty much the story that kept me watching till the end. [btw, I
searched for this topic.. 'last exile' =&gt; the only other thread on
this is more than a year old and is also closed for some reason. the
other one is about the ending of last exile. if i missed it, go ahead
and close plz, shinsengumi ^^]

what you talkin about last exile isn't just good it is awesome, i would have liked to find out more about the guild and delfine though

don't worry the site will be up soon
Signature
http://junto.sytes.net

i like last exile a lot, i love the flying n battle parts.

I liked the series a lot until the last 6 episodes. It seemed like it was rushed and pieces were left out. Dio's death was stupid and it really made me mad. He was the most interesting character and did not deserve to go out that way. I kept expecting him to show up sometime after he was last shown and for something silly to happen. Instead they had Mullen show back up, after he was suppose to have been killed. I hope someday they come out with an OVA or movie that fills in some of the holes and has Dio return.

Last Exile for me is great. the storyline is not really difficult to understand. The battle scene is truly cool. remember the early episode (don't remember the exact episode) when the Madousein squad battleships is ambushed from above when they are nearly winning. The missiles coming from above attacking the fleet is really great. for animation, i give it A.
for the story line, it's not the best but it's still good. Something similar to Scrapped Princess, where there is actually a greater force is watching and control the world.

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.