Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Anime, overwhelmingly male audience? - Minitokyo

Anime, overwhelmingly male audience?

page 1 of 1 21 total items

Is it my imagination that anime audience are dominated by male audience? My local anime club I attend is like that. When I went to Japan and checked out anime games, the software is specifically geared toward male because it is bishojo.

Any input from both genders will be appreciated.

I know alot of girls in the USA who watch anime, most of my friends watch anime are girls [I think it is the bishounen factor, ya know]

Well when i was in tokyo, last summer, the game stores were dominated by school girls, it was hectic! Some of them seem to like those bishojo games>.< its insane...

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

It all depends upon what is being translated and made available, methinks.

I am invincible!

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

actually, in my area it seems like a large marjority of the anime fans are female...

Signature Image

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

It depends on the series. There's a distinctive differences between the audience demographics for shoujo and shounen titles, though that line does seem to be blurring. Still, such titles like Marimite to my experience has a larger female than male audience, and there are things like Girls Bravo which only echi-loving guys watch. lol

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

SoulScholar

SoulScholar

NAVI-Gator

Its because some animes have girls with big boobs, what kind of male audience wouldnt like that o.o

Thx to Rebel-Soul-Kaze for the awesome av and sig! <3 always chichiri~
Signature
+ Userguide to MT3 + Forum Guidelines + MT Policy + Support and Inquiry + Complaints + FAQs +

i dont like big boobs either -_-

Balmung262

Balmung of the Azure Sky

i agreen of wat "EternalParadox" says that it depends if its a Bishonen or Bishojo cause all my girl cousins seems to be Dark fans from Dnangel and screams whenever i get a new volume... gets a little annoying but oh well...

I noticed that the majority of anime fans are male, too. That's just my observation though. When I went to Kamikazecon (animeconvention), the majority was male. When I look at the animeclub at my university, the vast majority is male too. Most of my female friends have no interest in anime either...

Be Free and Masturbate

Shkira

Shkira

Cake!!

I think for girls, anime rates up there with video games. They don't play/watch them as much as guys. They go out and do.... "girl" things? O_o Then you have the deviants from 'regular' girls *bows* who are more rounded in their likes ~_^

Most of my anime friends are guys and of all my girl friends, only 2 are into anime.

Quote by Shkira I think for girls, anime rates up there with video games. They don't play/watch them as much as guys. They go out and do.... "girl" things? O_o Then you have the deviants from 'regular' girls *bows* who are more rounded in their likes ~_^
Most of my anime friends are guys and of all my girl friends, only 2 are into anime.

Yeah, thats what I think too. I wouldn't call girls that like anime "more rounded", but more like "different". Most girls like to spend their time doing other stuff and thats why I like 'em :D I like girls that are into anime too, mind you...

Be Free and Masturbate

I think if there are more adventurous one like Shikira coming to the club or attend conventions then that would be very nice thing to happen. :D

Ghai

Ghai

Xullreyvias

for me. i tink that my local cosplays has more girls then guys. and well, they're alot more rowdy then the guys for sure. omg they can do a real freaky scream

cardmage

cardmage

After you

Its not entirely true that anime has a mostly male audience. It actually depends greatly on the anime itself. One more thing is that since minitokyo is and anime art community, the number of girls here will already tell you that girls are pretty much into anime as well...

Life is tranquil, Death is peaceful...
Signature
Its the transition that is troublesome...

I think the audience ratio is relatively the same, maybe 60/40 male to female, but its about the same. The anime conventions I go to seem to have a lot of both genders.

Meanwhile I'm trying to suck my sister into the anime community! muahaha... >.>

Ratio may also depend on demographic and availability of anime resources. Obviously Japan is oversaturated with anime and its overflow is spreading in varying degree to the rest of the world.
At least that is what I think. XD

Well, the people I know who watch animes are mostly girls.. so...

Quote by SoulScholarIts because some animes have girls with big boobs, what kind of male audience wouldnt like that o.o

ahah I don't like big boobs.
but in my region ,only guyz like anime t_t
i feel like a lonely otaku.. but i swear I m not an otaku!
I just watch a lot of anime and never talk about them, and I m not fanatic

FallingAwake

FallingAwake

Seafaring Swashbuckler

No, I don't think that it's an overwhelmigly male audience. Just go to an anime convention- I think it's almost 50-50. It also depends where you're looking for your stats.

Signature Image

It seemed to me that there were more anime for the male audience at first but then when you think about it Shonen-ai pops in a whole lot of anime......^^

page 1 of 1 21 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.