Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Crashes a lot >_< - Minitokyo

Crashes a lot >_<

page 1 of 1 7 total items

VagrantDreamer

VagrantDreamer

Daydreaming ...

alright i need some help, its not too big of a problem i'm sure, and easily solved, but i'm an idiot when it comes to hardware :/

now on to the problem, everytime i load up a game, and i start to play for a bit, like 15-20 min into the game, my computer just shuts off. i've tried multiple games and it always happens. now i know my laptop can handle these games cuz the games are pretty old and don't go crazy on the effects in the games. my video card is a raedon 7600 ithink and has 32 mb mem, i have 512 mb of ram and a 40 gb hardrive with only 50% used.

so i just wanna know what i can do to fix this problem :/ well thanks in advance!

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Check the system log. . . right-click on My Computer and select Manage to go to the Computer Management console. Navigate to Computer Management (Local): System Tools: Event Viewer: System and look for any error logs corresponding to the time(s) your comptuer crashed. That may shine a light on your issue.

Also, when did this start happening, and did it start around the time you changed a hardware configuration, installed a program, updated Windows, or anything along those lines?

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

FaiTCRaH

FaiTCRaH

UNKNOWN

check the bios also... maybe the T° of your processor is going to hell... and the mobo just protect that and shuts down the pc...

I am not an expert either but I have some experience on this.
remember to get the latest driver for ur graphic card.
U say the games u play are old so probably this is not the real problem
but worth a try.

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

This sounds like a classic case of overheating. Laptops generally have poor cooling and often can't handle long periods of intensive load, like games create. What often happens is that the heat builds up until it activates the thermal protection and the system turns off.

Try feeling the bottom of the computer after such an event or check the internal temperature with a utility/BIOS (most computers have probes on the motherboard these days). If you reboot the computer immediately after such a shutdown and start the game again and it powers off significantly faster, then that would support the overheating hypothesis.

The fact that they are old games or that you back off on the effects doesn't make a difference. Games are designed to run as fast as possible. Backing off things will just increase the framerate and won't reduce load.

Signature Image

Could be overheating of your components. Check that the heatsink+fan of your CPU and graphics chip are free of dust and working. Clean the innards of your system of dust and tidy the cables to improve airflow. It won't hurt too to install the latest drivers for each of your components (motherboard chipset, VGA, sound, etc.).

Regards.

It could also be bad memory. You should run memtest86.

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.