Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Japanese kids dont watch anime~!??! - Minitokyo

Japanese kids dont watch anime~!??!

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 47 total items

okay... so i live in Washington, and this exchange student from japan, Junior in high school (same as me) tells me that in japan, only little kids watch anime! Not only that, she says if there ARE kids in high school that watch anime in japan, they are MOSTLY the dorks or nerds that people dont like to speak to.

is this true?? do the older kids in japan avoid anime?? are teenagers in America at the level of little children in japan!?!?

My friends and i were in denial after hearing this.. we applied ourselves into the situation and said somethign like:

"if a high school girl from america goes to some other country and the kids there ask her if she plays video games (i.e xbox/ps2/GC), she would Most likely say no, only little kids play video games..... but if a teenage Guy went to the same country and got asked the same question, he would probably say something like HECK YES!!"

so....... does anyone have a REAL answer??

you have to remember that to a japanese person anime is just cartoons. in high school do you what scooby doo?

angeloflove

angeloflove

This is my world...

r u sure?! well, maybe japanese ppl r so used 2 anime going out all the time that only little kids play...does that help?

thanks 2 may 4 the sign image!
Signature

DNangel-DarkWings

no, i dont... but there are so many teenage americans who watch anime.

and its not like in japan, the teenagers watch scooby doo or spongebob squarepants...

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

depends on what anime. I live partly in japan, and most people my age don't watch things that are popular in the US. example, FMA has a huge audience in the US, not so much in Japan.

But the drama, slice of life, and genres with high emotional content do receive a much larger audience. saikano is quite popular among the people i know, for example.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

hmm how about stuff like

Naruto or Bleach?

onimakura

onimakura

under new management

the last episode of gto had the highest viewer rating in japan, for tv, ever, there hasnt been a higher viewer rate than that, so i think yah they watch it, but maybe the kids trying to be cool dont

under new management

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

When I was in high school I barely watched TV at all. (US)

I am invincible!

u also have to consider that theres a pretty big difference between anime and regular U.S cartoons....

take Aishiteru Ze Baby for example... i'd say that little kids in japan would watch that... but it has emotions

stuff like that just doesnt exist in U.S cartoons... its all about rabbits hitting humans with 20 ton weights

TemplarKnight

DVAE FACIES

Why should u care? You're letting it get to u to hard. Hey, if u truly like watching anime then why should u care what others think? So don't worry about it to much my friend.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

omigoshi

omigoshi

5th Child Of J.E.N.O.V.A

well thats why they call it otaku....but my friend same age as me watches anime...still hang out....hahahaha......and cool....
well i guess different ppl has different point of views.
but not all are nerds and dorks

Signature
Ningen nante taishita mon jya nai sa...dakara omae wa dame na nigen da
5TH CHILD OF J.E.N.O.V.A
----FuGu-----

MistressPookyChan

MistressPookyChan

I bwee, therefore I am.

It's only half true. There are many anime out there that have been awhile that many of my students watch. Particularly Anpanman, Doraemon, and Mariko-chan. The anime that everyone else around the world knows is just not that popular here. For one, they are only shown on cable/satellite, or late at night. Some anime is on at prime time, though (Naruto, Bleach). Anime here is mainly a cult following, much like it is in the US. Considering the schedules that my students have, I am suprised when they have any free time. So... I suppose that many would watch anime if it was more accessable to them.

Signature Image
-----| feeling : blah. | UserPage V1 : RO Succubus in pink | Latest Creation (BLEACH) |-----
Groups: Oldsters (a) - Nippon Foods (a) - Widescreen-Wallers (a) - Japanese (m)

I believe that Japanese people don't watch anime as much, (or just Japanese High schoolers) because they're too busy with the school work or preparing/worrying about the entrance exams to college. This is similar with other countries like China, so I'm guessing it depends on the person's devotion to school. Also, anime is like a cartoon, so grown people wouldn't watch it as much as little kids, (minus the more mature type anime).

akari-chan

akari-chan

59 luv XD

I heard that in Japan, it is mostly nerds and geeks who watch anime, and little kids.

Signature
*~Latest Submissions~*:
{Relaxation}{Melancholic Yuki}{Basil}{Potemayo}

LilLaoRyo704

LilLaoRyo704

[????????]

Actually wat KuroiDoragon, cuz' i was born in japan and i move back and
forth to go visit some friends cuz' i live in the U.S now.
The schools there are all about work and other important things in life than
anime shows, and you never know if its true or not.
Most people in Japan jus don't wanna admit it like "you still wet your bed"
That's wat i think.

Asucaga:CGK:.Hack:Host Club:G00-D:BWTB:KHO
Signature ImageLatest Wall -> Woodpecker
Latest Vector -> Luke & Asch

i have a japanese friend (college now) and she doesn't like anime that much either. she's more interested in reading manga. but i don't know about the majority of the japanese population...

"SING like no one's listening, DANCE like no one's watching, LOVE like you've never been hurt."

RainOfStars

RainOfStars

Elusive Dream

Really??? I guess they are used to it. We rarely got to watch anime, so I guess that is why we are so fascinated about it

Signature

fooblued

fooblued

British Fetishist

Man, I love anime. But I don't really pay attention to what other people like or don't like. By the way I'm 23 and I like watching Spongebob Squarepants and My Fairly Odd Parents and all that good jazz. I just really appreciate animation period. It probably has something to do with me being an artist. Wasn't there an anime dedicated to how uncool kids who like anime are , it was like a club in school that the kid didn't want to admit he was in or something. Anyway if it really wasn't that popular in Japan, why would there be so much of it?

helmet02

Helmet Rule

i don't think it really matters. in Japan, anime would be normal tv. as opposed to america where tv has watered down versions so we are forced to buy it and only true fans are willing to spend the money. my friend likes anime but has only seen my collection because he does not want to pay for the $100+ box sets or buy individual films. besides, american cartoons always try to mimic anime and usu fail horribly in the process. but whatever anime has many different genres that attract different crowds. x_x gaah! stupid FCC

Whatever helmet says is true so believe it or else... nothing happens. so obey foolish mortals!!

fooblued

fooblued

British Fetishist

Quote by helmet02besides, american
cartoons always try to mimic anime and usu fail horribly in the
process.

Yes! I completely agree, Totally Spies totally sucks! And yet <_< >_ > I still find myself watching it sometimes....

nemuri-ryu

Code monkey

The culture of Japan is different, compare video games that become popular there vs here. The major games in the US are mostly action/fighting games. In Japan it's closer to rpgs/sims/what have you.
In my experience, the most popular animes with my friends (who generally don't watch) are action based (Bleach, Naruto, etc.). However, they aren't interested in things like GTO, Air, GITS (any except the 2nd which shows more action). Also, they've not even tried to fake interest when it comes to manga.

toru07

toru07

Guardian of the Deep Abyss

They are probably sick of it since they see animes since they were born.... ;)

Signature

^.^ i know one thing.. im gonna be watchign anime for a loooong time here in america. throughout the rest of highschool and probably allthroughout college xD

MistressPookyChan

MistressPookyChan

I bwee, therefore I am.

Quote by glassreflectioni have a japanese friend (college now) and she doesn't like anime that
much either. she's more interested in reading manga. but i don't know
about the majority of the japanese population...

This is true for most. Manga is MUCH more popular than anime.

Signature Image
-----| feeling : blah. | UserPage V1 : RO Succubus in pink | Latest Creation (BLEACH) |-----
Groups: Oldsters (a) - Nippon Foods (a) - Widescreen-Wallers (a) - Japanese (m)

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 47 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.