Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Gregorian Music from Elfen Lied - Minitokyo

Gregorian Music from Elfen Lied

page 1 of 1 13 total items

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

This is mainly a thread on the use of music from Elfen Lied.

Basically what I want to discuss about how the Gregorian Music style works for Elfen Lied. It's been years (Spring 1996) since I had my Music History class, but one of the things I remember about the Gregorian era of music was the omission of the 7th (Ti) note in the European scales. The 7th note (Ti) goes back to the 8th note (Do). Therefore the music has a soothing effect. But of more importance is this omission also removes the interval known as the "Tri-Tone" or the "Devil's Chord". The interval is 4th --> 7th or "Fa" --> "Ti", (F --> B natural).

The use of mostly Gregorian style music was done intentionally in Elfen-Lied. I can appreciate the irony of Lucy singing Gregorian tunes. The ending theme isn't gregorian, but content/lyric wise contributes to the innocents lost of the series.

Anyone else want to comment on this? Or just how the opening theme affects you?

Elfen-Lied-Junkies, Elfen Lied fans and those who appriciate music are more than welcome to contribute to this thread.

I love the Elfen Lied music because it was either really thrilling or quite sad. I remember this feeling about music from Evangelion and I was glad that Elfen Lied had a music that had huge effects on my mood too while watching this series.
Unfortunately I am not very talented in music so I cannot tell where it somes from, from what era. But I think that Elfen Lied was done very cleverly. The opening video for example is featuring artworks by the famous Austrian painter Gustav Klimt (working around the 1920s). So I suppose the whole production has some deeper meaning and a lot of parallels to sophisticated stuff.

xandman

xandman

The King of Hearts

i liked that anime... but drama crap sucks ^_^' Anyway anyway... the "gregorian" slash Latin opening theme of Elfen Lied kind of rocks ya know. It wasn't bad at all, together with Lucy's breasts that you could see as well ^_^' heh....

how did it go now.... Kyrie.... Eleison.... Lilium..... something something, whatever. But i like it! n_nV

Signature

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Quote by xandman ...the "gregorian" slash Latin opening theme of Elfen Lied kind of rocks ya
know....

Ok, just to clairify, Gregorian is a Liturgical music style, I believe before the Baroque period with J.S. Bach. All liturgical music from the baroque period and before is in Latin.

Liturgical = Music of faith (Default: Cathlolic Christianity).
"Oh so you're catholic." No. Earlier musical studies of Europe has a lot of Liturgical music because the Church sponcered so much music. Non-religious music is refered to as Secular Music. Not as much of this is around because their music may not have been written down.

xandman

xandman

The King of Hearts

hahaha..... no offense or anything, but my mind won't comprehend anything that boring. As long as the music is good, i don't give a damn about which category and/or genre it belongs to ^_^'

but, to put what you said in a summary.... let's see.... then the equation goes something like this: Elfen Lied opening theme = Gregorian style music = Liturgical style music = Latin style music :D Tadaa!! Easy and simple :P

Signature

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

um, no... sadly... Latin Music is used to refer to ... Hispanic and South American Music, like "Salsa".... I don't understand why though. (damn things confusing to me too). That's like latin pop and stuff... heck they're speaking Spanish... and call it Latin... (and shouldn't have been... but oh well).... because Spanish is founded on the Latin language... But couldn't we then call French Music Latin too? Someone decades or centuries ago made the blunder.

TW12T3D

TW12T3D

Anxiously Waiting . . .

yeah ... the music was good ... but dont go wasting you money on the soundtrack ... there are like ... three good songs ... the openning "Lilium" is the best. yeah ... so saying it was good ... dont waste money.

xandman

xandman

The King of Hearts

bah.... x_x let's not care about it, although the Gregorian style contains latin words yeah? :D To me, latin is much closer to the name "Latin" than hispanic is....... but if they want it that way, then better leave it as it is n_nV Besides, it's too boring to care about it as long as the music is good, whichever & whatever category it belongs to.

as for the soundtracks. I download them instead and tank it all to my mp3 player, no cd needed n_nV Yeah!

Signature

TLTw804

TLTw804

TheLostTimberwolf

I found when i was watching the opening credits of Elfen Lied, i could help feel a similar feel to Gunslinger Girl Op. Creds.

Seeing how this thread is here and current, ill throw this in and ask if theres anyone else who felt the same, or if im just crazy ^_^

Signature
One day I will find Myself, but when I do will I like what I have found?

well, of course, the music from Elfen Lied is one of the parts that's best. I mean, the style is revolutionary, in terms of j-pop music always being used for anime. I'm not saying that this is bad, but when something new comes along, it tends to stick...at least for me...along with a unique story, Elfen Lied is definately a fav...

tsokolate

The Delirium Trigger

"Blessed the man who resist temptation, for he shal inherit the wonders of the world..."

Kewl...

I like pleasure spiked w/pain
Music is my aeroplane
It's my aeroplane
Songbird sweet and sour Jane
Music is my aeroplane
It's my aeroplane

xandman

xandman

The King of Hearts

resist temptation? Come on! Who can actually do that? ^_^' haha....

Signature

MuZ0NaZ

MuZ0NaZ

The Muzzinator

I love both the op/ed but I never knew that gregorian music had such a meaning in the show. Wish there was a full op out :/

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.