Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 depth and highlights - Minitokyo

depth and highlights

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 9 total items

reaps

Don't fear the reaper...

can someone help me with learning how to add depth and highlights to my pics. they always look so flat and one color. if anyone has any tutorials that would help alot.

also, where besides MT do you guys find good scans?

Signature

Cloudnine

neko mimi modo~!

cheapest way is to use the burn and dodge tool w/ mask =D set it to highlights @ 30% and use your eye to judge~ imagine a light source in the image and work from there XD

and for scans try nuriko's site ~> http://www.csusm.edu/anime/

reaps

Don't fear the reaper...

mmmm, thanks.

Signature

sammo

Retired Moderator

sammo

Retired Moderator

i also use the method that cn mentioned, but recently i read an interesting tutorial that manipulates hyung tae kim's painting style...it wasn't anything different; just paint the whole facial part in one color, and then choose a lighter tone and make the brush smaller and add light details to it, pretty much air-brushing.

reaps

Don't fear the reaper...

I'm still having trouble, i generally don't have much trouble with photoshop. but i havent dun anything with anime before. so i'm triing to learn lol. but when i use the burn/dodge tools it doesn't work too well. i've tried so many things, airbrushing, using this technique, i've tried some thing with the poly laso that i saw somewhere. and it won't work, grrrrr. I'm stumped. If anyone has any more suggestions then i'd be greatful to them forever. but if not i can just keep trying different things until one works out :\

Signature

Cloudnine

neko mimi modo~!

Quote by sammoi also use the method that cn mentioned, but recently i read an
interesting tutorial that manipulates hyung tae kim's painting
style...it wasn't anything different; just paint the whole facial part
in one color, and then choose a lighter tone and make the brush smaller
and add light details to it, pretty much air-brushing.

ooooo....

gimme linkie sammo =D

Oh yeah, I found that Hyung Tae Kim tutorial too! I lost the bookmark to it though, but I saved it on my harddrive!...but it's scatered in different folders deep in my harddrive--it's been over a year since I found it :( It's possible the page moved, so if I did find my bookmark, it's probably inaccurate.

I just know he uses Painter 6 and does watercolors with the whole "dry canvas" option which they don't have in my Painter Classic :(

As for shading, I highly discourage the use of dodge and bur. It's better to airbrush the color you want at low opacity, stroking multiple times if necessary. It's MUCH more controlled than dodge and burn and results in a much better effect. Plus, you learn a bit of color theory (shadows aren't merely darker shades of the base color!!!)

I've looked for tutorials too, but there's no real way to tell you where to shade--it's something you learn from observation-- study various pictures of real things, and artist's pictures. Most importantly, perhaps, go outside and look at things and people. Observation is the only way to learn lighting. No tutorial can teach this; if you do find one, post it--I need it as much as you!

reaps

Don't fear the reaper...

no, it's not that i don't understand where the shadows and highlights should go. it's that when i appl whatever technique i'm trying to use to it, the shadow/highlight doesn't blend at all. :\

Signature

best way to color with photoshop is using low opacities and blending in with different layers. Imo if you do it all on one layer you have to be very careful or you can end up smudging it into a big mess kind of like paints. and also best way to find the shadows and lights is considering where lightsource is and the color tone of the background or sky is.

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.