Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Suggestion: Forum replies do not increase level - Minitokyo

Suggestion: Forum replies do not increase level

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 37 total items

Jim3535

Jim3535

Shinigami

Has anyone seen the forum lately? It's just chalk-full of topics trolling for replies. It's just "which one is better?" or "name your favorite..." etc. It's especially bad in the Tech, Games & Media, and Everyday life forums.

My take on things is that people are just fishing for replies to gain levels. It's annoying because almost no real discussion goes on and the forums are full of what could be considered spam.

It might be a good idea to make forum replies not count towards levels to discourage this kind of trolling. An alternative would be to make a poll forum that doesn't count for level (like spam lounge) and enforce the topics. However, removing the incentive to spam is the best way to slow / stop it.

That being said, I suspect no one cares since the primary function of the site is the wallpapers / art. In any case, it might be something to think about.

Signature Image

You got a point here. but like me, some may not be good at drawing or making wallpapers. and only joined in order to have a forum to discus thing and another.

shad0whunter

shad0whunter

spam deprived~

pity the people who have no talent for walling like me.. posting on threads are the only way for us to gain levels, so taking that away would be very unfair to us

Signature Image

LucyXlostangelwings

LucyXlostangelwings

Tomorrow's Way~

Ok, first of all, yes, I agree, people do that...I used to think that if i really and desperately needed to gain one or two levels, then I can start a random thread. I don't usually start threads, rather, I post in other people's. But also, it might be because there are just so many threads here that starting a thread that is not a duplicate is difficult, that's why people may come up with extremely random and almost pointless topics. Nevertheless, taking away that ability to gain levels is a bit cruel in my opinion, maybe I'm a bit biases since I'm currently not submitting. ^_^'

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

toru07

toru07

Guardian of the Deep Abyss

How about screening first the new thread topics, if it is approved it get posted in the forum as a new topic. In this way topics won't be duplicated and "non-sense" topics won't be posted. Many Newbies just make any topics that comes in their mind to gain levels faster, or they just not that aware of looking for related topics first before creating a new one.
I disagree on removing level up points on forum posts because these are the only way some users gain levels.

Signature

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

hey...i am new, i need levels too, i want to admin a group so i need them...taking that away would mean the less privileged people don't get the level up, so if that is the case...newbies will remain newbies especially now coming from some people saying that the standards of wallpaper making is getting to high to comply....my two new walls are deleted!!!
now tell me, if that is the case how do we get levels...???
I believe the topic here should be why the demands and levels of wallpaper making is so how that newbies are having difficulties in expressing their artwork? just because it looks less complicated or slightly more blurred, does that mean the efforts on other ways such as filtering, artistic brushes, simplicity techy design are not counted as well...?

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

exentric

exentric

Plain Lazy

not really a good idea.. yeah its full of crap in one or two thread but not all.
plus for ppl doesnt have any drawing skill or does not wall, thus does not submist anything, it kinda lessen their chances of leveling.
in the end, it just up to mod to control the forum.

oh yeah, I believe Spam Lounge doesnt contribute in level percentage.

Sinistra

Sinistra

MT Fanatic

if you take out the replying incresses level then what will the paople that don't submit scans, walls, or any other images supose to go do level up. Kind of pointless don't you think? if your so worried about it why don't they get rid of the spam forum it will keep spam from upping post counts and keep the inteligent topics active.

anti-spammers | photoshop-lovers

hmm...
do u think as many people would reply if there was no incentive for them...
those who aren't artisticlly inclined rely on the forums for levels...

If you can't see the point... get a new POV...
Signature Image

Uh......I kinda have mixed views here. I think maybe the amount you get should be lowered or sumin :P

~knighty

Member of:
MT UK

Sinistra

Sinistra

MT Fanatic

the leveling up system I think is 1.00% of your leveling. If we take it away noobies that are ether 1) Noobies at wall making or 2 Don't upload anything wouldn't get no ware when using the forum. I could see if every 10 posts you get a inccrse in leveling but taking it out all together is stupid. Yeah I admit that most of the members here upload something to up their level. But those that don't will loose interest in the site and leave.

its just like the staff taking away your abillity to upload to the gallery or your abillity to post on the forum. you did nothing wrong but your being punished because some member thinks its right to take away your privalages?

How fair is that?

how DO you gain levels?!!!! i mean...some of us want to reach higher levels. how do you do that?! it almost seems impossible. don't tell me that if i log in- log out for about 1000 time, i'll grow 2-3 levels. i'm totally not willing to spend my time like that!!! ~_~ that is just soooo boring. an di came here to have fun!!! :) i think...but.... gomenasai if you have already told us how to increase our levels, maybe i haven't paid attention to the replies... ;)

Sinistra

Sinistra

MT Fanatic

you can find out how to increse your level in this topic

http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/32/

Drak

Drak

Dragon Child

You do have a point there, Jim, but I also agree with the other side (meaning that it's the only way for non-wallers to gain levels... I'm one myself).
Besides, on a little higher levels, 'experiance' you get from someone who posted in your thread is rather pitiful (I got about 80 lvl and for every response to my topic I get about 0.05%), so I don't think it's really that much of a deal.
Besides, some threads aren't exacly ment for descusion but to just give your opinions (like 'what's your favorite...' something).
I don't know, I think that it would make more bad then good, but it's only my opinion.

'This is the story about dragons, magic and people dreams' - Dragonblood.
Current chapter: 12

Quote by EctorussYou got a point here. but like me, some may not be good at drawing or
making wallpapers. and only joined in order to have a forum to discus
thing and another.

Signed.

I've noticed that MT is getting full of spams and reiterated threads, making the forums look cluttered. Think: big balloon = more air. Perhaps closing such threads is the way to go. Or deleting spam. But that would mean more work for the mods. *scratches head*

notdante

notdante

Who wants Turkey-dogs?!!!?!!

personally i like the random topics. i think there fun. i spend most of my time in the everyday life forum and i would add some art, i am going to when i get the e mail, but i dont own a scaner and the person who i knew who has one and would scan something for me just graduated and i probably wont see her much anymore, i did give something to her and i am wateing for it to come back.

Signature

(\_/)
(o.O)
(0 0) This is Bunny's weird twin. Copy Bunny's weird twin into your signature to help him on his way to eating all of the pies on the planet.

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Quote by Jim3535Has anyone seen the forum lately? It's just chalk-full of topics
trolling for replies. It's just "which one is better?" or "name your
favorite..." etc. It's especially bad in the Tech, Games & Media,
and Everyday life forums. My take on things is that people are just
fishing for replies to gain levels. It's annoying because almost no
real discussion goes on and the forums are full of what could be
considered spam.
It might be a good idea to make forum replies not count towards levels
to discourage this kind of trolling. An alternative would be to make a
poll forum that doesn't count for level (like spam lounge) and enforce
the topics. However, removing the incentive to spam is the best way to
slow / stop it.
That being said, I suspect no one cares since the primary function of
the site is the wallpapers / art. In any case, it might be something to
think about.

This is particularly one of the reasons why coming back to MT seems to be a pain in the foot. Swung back, and the situation just got a whole lot worse.

To me, this forum is just a disaster. Not only do I find it ridiculous, but some of the members just - well as many have stated before earlier, incredibly spam.

I myself, am against this sort of idea of not counting in forums towards levels, but however this is not the first time in any situation either. I've seen people do that and still fail to remove some of this attention away.

With a great amount of new members coming in, plus the fact the community does not seem to care about what they post to a great effect for many different reasons of course, there is not really a way that this massive amount of spamming can be avoided.

It's a shame because Shinsengumi and I have devised forum guidelines that are supposed to counteract this sort of position, but nonetheless does anyone care to even wish to read the rules from here on? Not plently likely.

We are trying to promote a healthy discussion, not some relentless typical useless topic being pummeled through random comments, of course. However, as much as all this bickering takes place, they are doing this in numbers. Mute some of the causing members, and you have a leeching war going on.

In any case, welcome to my world. Many other forums tend to be like this, and MT is getting there alright. Hopefully new restrictions will come into play, and all I have to say is - stay tuned. Changes need to be made, and hopefully real soon, of course.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

In my opinion, the value for starting a thread needs to be significantly decreased or eliminated. ...It would be nice if the value for posting was increased though.

Aa-chan

Aa-chan

AA-CHAN

MT is no different to any other forum on the internet. It's all well promoting discussions, but the vast majority of the user base don't care for it.

Follow AA-CHAN as he teaches English in South Korea and enjoys his K-Pop music fandoms up close!

http://aa-chan.net/blog/

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Quote by Archer79In my opinion, the value for starting a thread needs to be
significantly decreased or eliminated. ...It would be nice if the value
for posting was increased though.

**Stretches and sips her morning ginger tea**

Interesting idea.

As for the value of posting, however, I would not agree to that, unless something can be done to eliminate the spam right off the spot.

At first, I thought a more word = more % rule count would be nice, but after seeing that people can copy and paste posts that go beyond the normal typical protocol, this idea was scrapped through the process right away.

To me, the first step would be to add a limiting character to the foreplay, just like they did to the galleries. I'm certain this is being done in ver. 3 as we speak.

Second, limit the threads that can be produced within a time limit by the same user. That would definitely show an element of surprise, nonetheless. This would obviously be dependent on levels [no offense].

Third, and perhaps not least if someone wishes to point an extreme, perform a counter-attack measure by yes - restretching the 3-min. time limit between posts once more for a temporary amount of time since people aren't paying too much attention to the rules.

Just an idea, but gallery posts to me should count less. It is too well hidden from the sidelines and spammed much more incredibly than in the forums at times. Gallery posts are for criticisms too, you know, not, wow - Fav+!! Cool wallpaper, end of story kind of comments.

With all this said, however, the restrictions may promote more leeching unless of course, a download cap is put into play, and that will definitely tell these people to smarten up in my opinion. Could lose members, but at this pace, many are becoming lost as we speak.

**Raises her machine gun** How I would love to delete all that typical spam once more.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

I would disagree to this idea, mainly because there are some members who are willing to create threads of interesting topics rather than harvesting posts to level up by creating the common favorite and versus threads, which I would consider spam now since it's constantly repeated. However, I'm pretty sure there are more things in the world to consider and talk about, perhaps in a way in which the members of Minitokyo could stay up to date with events. I'm sure that would spike more interest.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

Sinistra

Sinistra

MT Fanatic

I would have to agree with Celessa any forum you go to your going to have your "spammers" you can't have a "spamm Free" board unless the mods are coldhearted and closes every topic they see. Its hard on the mods to watch over the site with over 1,000 active members. Being the admin of my own site and helping out on about 3 more sites I have see my share of "omg I want to lock this" I don't know how hard it can be to me a mod on MT but We all hate spam we all want it to go bye bye, that just isn't going to happen

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Perhaps a vote on the quality of the thread then?

Is this forum just a clever way of trolling for replies hmmm?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 37 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.