Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What do you know about passwords? - Minitokyo

What do you know about passwords?

page 1 of 1 19 total items

gendo1

gendo1

LP Fan / Wall Critic

Hey, I am running a win2k system with IE. All standard setup, home built system. (i'm downloading mozilla after reading the other threads). I am kind of in a problem though. I'm sure it's simple to fix, but i can't figure out what to do. I've got this particular file see... and when i go to LAN parties, i want this particualr file password protected. From any kind of access. How do i password protect just one file, rather than setting my screensaver password protection? I want to be sure that if people get curious and do sit down at my keyboard, they can look around, but not touch this file. Fill me in if you know!

Signature

raging_otter

Not In

im not too sure if you can protect your files with default windows settings... i believe you need to purchase a software like this one or this perhaps?

Zdenek

Zdenek

Bye bye~

Be paranoid and lock the computer when away! Because none of these means is safe.

OMG...liek I've bean banned cuz I'm n idiot. DUH ARMY GAME R0X0RZ!!1!!!!

Furikuu

Furikuu

Giant Panda

Got WinRAR? Put that file into a RAR archive and password it. Or you can probably do it with ZIP as well. Then you can't extract it from the archive to look at it unless you know the password. Make the password alphanumeric and with case changes and all the rest of it to make it too hard to guess as well...

Signature Image

dustin

dustin

Gem Stone

there is no such thing as locking files or folders in windows built in. You need some kind of separate programto do that. If you go away from your pc, just lock it. Then sit down and people cant go browse your files. If you share something through LAN from your pc, just dont share that file. simple as that.

gendo1

gendo1

LP Fan / Wall Critic

Right, all of these solutions are things i have already tried or been through. Locking my comptuer gets too annoying, because it's one more thing to do. The WinRAR and Winzip programs are the same way. I know i can share only certain folders through LAN too. Is there any way I can prevent access to certain files without compressing them or locking my computer?

Signature

i'm not sure about w2k, but with xp you can lock the screen/keyboard by pressing windowskey+L

Dont know about Win 2000, but i know for Windows XP, if your harddrive is formatted as ntfs, (to check, rgo to My computer, right click on a hard drive, and click properties to see) you can right click on a file, click properties and you can enable encryption for the file. If it wont allow it to do it on a file, try putting the file in a folder and see if you can encrypt the folder. The only disadvantage of encrypting your file is if you forget your password, you are basically scrwed.

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

2000 and XP support EFS .. but google for PGP ... and you get all you need.

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

lol i used to have a program that would lock up specific things on my comp
but it got annoying... just log off your comp

use any zipping program, like winace , winrar, winzip and then zip the file and password protect it..also in win XP u can encrypt the folder and password protect it, you have to go into that folder options and then i'm sure you'll find out how.

Leonryushin

Leonryushin

L33TP4ND4

Other than 'zipping' the file you could also put the file in your virus quarentine zone (if you have an anti-virus program).

the only draw-back is that the files may be destroyed by whatever else is in the folder...

...but you'd have to be crazy or a pretty good hacker to mess around in some-one's quarentine zone.

May the Woot be with you!

tele-fragd

tele-fragd

Cheeky Peach <3

You could use an encryption program or use built-in Windows XP file encryption. You need to use TweakUI to see "Encrypt" on the context menu of files.

Homer: Pffft English. Who needs that? I'm never going to England.
Mr Largo: Lisa, do you find something funny about the word "tromboner"?
-------------------------------------

//My Anime Collection

I'm not sure about Making a password for one file... but a friend of mine downloaded a program that will allow you to make "magic folders"

i don't know how it works... but it turns them invisible or something... so that people can't find them.

If he wasn't making fun of me and it does exist... sounds like that kind of thing would be very helpful for you.

gendo1

gendo1

LP Fan / Wall Critic

I love that idea, Leonryushin! That's what i will do. Good call.

Signature

Quote by LeonryushinOther than 'zipping' the file you could also put the file in your virus quarentine zone (if you have an anti-virus program).

the only draw-back is that the files may be destroyed by whatever else is in the folder...

...but you'd have to be crazy or a pretty good hacker to mess around in some-one's quarentine zone.

If they are actually looking for the file its relatively easy to get to as most virus scaners have a way to get files out of the quarentine.

I juz leave the screen saver with password on >.<

Keltosh

Retired Moderator

Keltosh

Inquisitor on hiatus

just put it in an encrypted folder and in an encrypted archive..

Signature
I am now on hiatus from moderating due to my thesis.
One of my favorite game ever: Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol Community
The beautiful signature is from Biriwilg

Easiest thing to do is have your file system NTFS and encrypt the file, only people who log into your username will be able to open the file.

Or you could make another user with a password, a system user not a computer user - you can do this inside administrative tools - encrypt the file via the new user. and every time you want to open the file you would have to 'open as user' and supply the password for the user.

page 1 of 1 19 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.